Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beekeeping: Best flowers or folage for bee's

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 3, Views: 123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
huppertsr
Enterprise, AL

July 26, 2006
12:17 PM

Post #2549676

Being new to bee's, there must be good flowers and folage to plant in the fall so that when spring time comes that the bee's will have from spring to fall plants that they can obtain the nectur from.

Thank you for any and all info.

Norman
MQN
Salt Lake City, UT
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2006
6:56 PM

Post #2575399

Clover and alfalfa are most used by commercial endeavors, but any great quantity of any 1 particular plant will affect the taste and make it more of a "specialty" honey. You would also like to make sure that you have variety to bloom for all season long.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2006 12:57 PM
jjpm74
Stratford, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2006
4:47 PM

Post #2621378

Keep in mind that when bees go out to collect pollen, they usually travel out in a radius of several miles, so, while a bee garden can be pretty to look at, chances are only a handful of your own bees will use them (unless you have a large amount of open land).
pdxJules
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 22, 2006
6:54 PM

Post #2749488

I was lucky to attract a big Swarm to tree branches in my urban garden - by having large masses of purple/blue flowers in bloom - beginning in early Spring: Lunaria (money Plant ) was earlier, and masses of Borage Bloom all summer. Both reseed profusely - and have other benefits.

A beekeeper referred by the City of Portland came to collect the Swarm and provided their permanent home. A neighbor and I hope to be able to share some of the Honey.
BeeKeepers near Portland - email me if you want next years Swarm.

I also send lots of seed by SASE. Or if you are near Portland Oregon, come by for a Garden visit, and bring a box fora variety of goodies. (It's not a very purty place, but prolific...)

A note - I allow a massive old rosemary to grow on the south side of my house, near a window so I can watch what happens all year. It flowers all winter, providing a happy place for the larger Hummingbird - and Mason Bees.

I also provide a water source (not deep, and refreshed often) fairly low to the ground for bees, and I try to collect and use rainwater for that and for all plants. They seem to like to share a mock Bog Garden (a concrete bird bath on a low stump) with some Carniverous plants from Sarracenia Nursery in Oregon. I've seen flies get eaten - but not Bees)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America