Rock Art - Baja & Utah

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Most of these are in southern Utah and then the 1st 2 are from Baja California. We did not go to the best site in Baja on our trip as it required a 2-3 day trip to get there and back, if I remember correctly. This one is typically referred to as La Trinidad deer. It was a pretty cool pictograph with great style to it. I'll have to look at my book tonight, but I believe these were done by the Cochimi Indians but I am not sure on the date.

Bill

Thumbnail by willis_mckenna
Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

This is from the same canyon in Baja. They call it cardon man (cactus man). There are more with whales and fish skeletons that I'll have to dig out, but they were pretty cool.

Bill

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

These next 2 Kazooie should be familiar with as they are near Moab. This is called the barrier canyon style and I love how they look like creatures from dreams.

Bill

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is another from that site. Hopefully her husband got better pics than me of this area.

They went to the best site (known to the general public) of rock art, which I wasn't able to get to last time out there. Their photos are from the great gallery in Canyonlands Natl Park.

Bill

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

These next ones are petroglyphs from near Moab. This one is called Moab Man. Many of the ones near Moab have been vandalized.

Bill

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is one from Arches Natl Park.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Another from near Arches called birthing rock.

Bill

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Sometimes you know exactly when and why they were created :)

Bill

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Or other times they just thought Armadillos looked funny.

Bill

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

oooo...i like the armadillo! i have never seen a petroglyph like that.

those are some neat photos, bill. the "cardon man" reminds me of cousin itt from the addams family. thanks for sharing!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Bill, These are great! Thanx for sharing these paleo pix! :-))

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes some interesting moments in time. Who was the artist and was he/she one of the best or just a child leaving a memory of their first hunt, or their first kill, or what went on in the mind of the artist? You could wonder forever these special long ago moments. I love history and archeology. Thanks Willis.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

My wife and I were just saying the same thing as we were drawing with our daughter tracing her hand. Maybe all those hand prints in the desert were just mom trying to entertain the kids while dad was cooking. At least that's how it is at our cave except our media is a magna-doodle.

Bill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.