Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Scout camping photos from around the South

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi all,
I'm new here and was excited to see that we have a camping forum. I lead a boy scout troop here in Mobile and go camping with them almost every month, so we get out quite a bit!

I'd like to share our photo album; it contains pictures from our various camping spots and activites around the southeast:

http://gallery-t85.troop85.org/

Regards,
David

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

hi david!
wow, sounds and looks like you do get out quite a bit. that is great! i wish we had the time to be able to get out that much. i feel lucky if we get in a few good trips a year.

fort morgan looks like fun. is it right there on the coast? bet those boys loved the caving.

we run into scouts a lot on our backpacking or hiking trips, and they all seem to be having a good time.

glad you found us!

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Fort Morgan is at the very mouth of Mobile Bay on the east side. There's a good view of it here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=47.033113,67.236328&ie=UTF8&ll=30.259067,-88.071728&spn=0.201652,0.262642&t=h&om=1

This is a beautiful civil war fort (and was upgraded during the Endicott era) directly across the bay from Fort Gaines (on the eastern tip of Dauphin Island). These forts were involved in the August 1864 "Battle of Mobile Bay" ("damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead").

When Katrina came through, this fort had 3 feet of water all throughout. We usually take the scouts once a year in February; we sleep inside an old mortar battery (Battery Dearborn). They have a blast.

David

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

that is pretty neat that you get to sleep in the mortar battery! what a great way for those boys to learn some american history.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Great pics. We love camping and I like to go into caves but I only like the improved ones. I could not crawl through a little hole in the dark. I don't like things too close to my face. Not even dark air.

I went to Fort Gaines a lot when I was a kid. We had family that lived in Bayou Labatrie. They passed away many years ago so I haven't been back since then. I would love to go again.

Madison, AL

Great pictures. I live in Huntsville area. Spent some time at Camp Jackson. Brings back many fond memories of Scouting!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.