Bower Actinidia, Hardy Kiwi, Tara Vine, Yang Tao 'Issai' (Actinidia arguta)

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

Bower Actinidia, Hardy Kiwi, Tara Vine, Yang Tao 'Issai'
Actinidia arguta

The fruit is so sweet and a kiwi you can eat just as a green grape, no fuzz on the skin.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Heerlen, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Hi, Mgarr,

I'm wondering if this is 'Issai'? Conform my information about 'Issai' and the 'Issai' I have, the leaf has a green stem and green wood. It has foliage that is a little fuzzy/hairy, but it is not glossy. Is it possible that the picture is from 'Meader' or maybe Weiki or so. I 've recent bought a male plant of 'Meader' to help my 'Issai' set better/more fruit, allthough 'Issai' is self-fertile.

Saya.

It took my vine about five years to begin producing. Ever since it produces hairless fruit in abundance each year. I only have the one since my property is very small. I had to go look at my vine, yes the new growth is green, turning tan the second season. The foliage is not glossy, I think in the picture the flash on my old camera made the foliage look glossy, but there is no fuzz. I've had this vine for over 10 years now and must keep up with clipping it back or it would have taken over our little town by now. Hope this helps.

Heerlen, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Hi, Mgarr,
That's great to hear. I thought I have the wrong plant..now I am reassured. My plant is still very young..raised from a cutting that I received in trade. I have read that a male plant helps to set better/more fruits. Do you have a male plant around for your 'Issai'??

Thanks,
Saya.

Nope, my yard is too small. The Issai grows at least 30' a year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.