Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Please help ID this caterpillar, I don't know what it eats!

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 2, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2006
9:44 PM

Post #2560289

This lovely fluffy baby I found after potting on some plants, so I don't know what it eats.

It was attached to the end of a Horse Chestnut tree flower stem. I was under the tree potting on plants, a brugmansia was the last plant, which I had in my greenhouse. I also did some Ginkgo biloba but I don't think they were eaten, the brugmansia has holes in it. I also did a Magnolia sieboldii, acer and canna but I don't think they would be host plants.

It was in a small planter which was already there so I'm not sure if it did come from a plant I was potting. I put it on a brugmansia leaf (any brug growers out there, yes they are suffering and are desparate for a bigger pot!). There is fuchsia leaves laying next to it, I am worried it may not get the correct food.

Any butterfly/caterpillar experts who can help?

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

July 28, 2006
10:03 PM

Post #2560369

That is the caterpillar of the Sycamore Moth (Acronicta aceris) http://www.javajane.co.uk/Hairy/slides/sycamore_moth8.html
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/cgi-bin/res.pl?keyword=Sycamore Moth&offset=0
http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=2279

The caterpillar feeds on horse-chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum) as well as sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) and field maple (A. campestre)
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2006
10:31 PM

Post #2560476

Thanks Ken! I had a feeling it may have dropped off the tree. There is also a Sycamore tree opposite.

I'll have to put it on one of the trees somewhere.

The moth on the first link looks very much like some I have had in the day time feeding on phlox and buddleja, not sure though as it has a white pattern on the wing. The second one looks different.

One for BugFiles!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America