Washing machine not spinning water out...

Tyler, TX

Does anyone know what might cause the washer to not spin all of the water out? I think my husband can repair it if he knows what part is needed.

Shirley

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Are you SURE it's actually spinning ? Fill it with water, advance it to spin cycle. After a couple minutes, if it is not empty, the drain is restricted somehow. It could be clogged, could be a kink in the drain hose. OR if it is not spinning, could be the belt, could be something else. If this doesn't help, post again and say what kind it is, in some detail

Tyler, TX

I finally got to talk to my daughter about her washer. She said that the washer's not spinning at all. Sometimes when she removes the clothes they still have some suds on them. I hope we can fix it for her. She just bought her 1st place and has had a lot of expenses the last couple of months. She bought a new dryer but thought the washer was OK. Thanks for any help you can be.

Does it agitate? It could be the lid switch, could be a lot of things. If you say what kind it is, model number, etc., I maybe can narrow it down, but diagnosis third hand is gonna be as hard as Chinese algebra.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

First, is it a GE? I have had the same problem from time to time with mine. If I have too heavy a load in it and the soap can't rinse out the clothes don't spin. In addition my washer pumps up about 8 ft. and that is the limit for washers so it is doing extra duty. Perhaps try smaller loads and see if that makes a difference. I have actually had to remove half of the load, even though it is advertised as "heavy duty" and run through another rinse cycle.

Tyler, TX

I finally got my daughter to let her washer fill and watch what it was doing. It was agitating and spinning but she said it wasn't emptying the water out. She checked the hose and it wasn't pinched off and she said there was some water in the hose going to the drain. Got any ideas what might be the problem?

Thanks,
Shirley

It depends what kind of washer it is. Test the pump. If it is a belt drive, the pump will be hard to turn, and needs replacement. If it is an electric pump, test it with a meter, or remove the hose and see how much water comes out. If it flows properly, there is a clog in the drain line. Get a coathanger and fish out the sock or whatever.

Tyler, TX

Thank you, we will try these. I'm not sure when we're going to see her next, she lives in Dallas. I'll let you know when we find out.

Port Charlotte, FL

I have the same problem as shirleygirly, my washer is a whirlpool calypso. I manually drained the washer by lowering the drain pump. It fills up with water, but it doesn't drain. The water leaked out under the washer. How do I test the pump as you suggested above? I can't afford a plumber at the moment.

Golemee, did your calypso show an error code " LD"....? It means long drain (or no drain, in your case)
The calypso water pump was the subject of a class action law suit. The new ones have a better faster pump. Presumably, yours is an older one. I have heard of dealers adressing this problem for free, look into that possibility. Other than that:

Turn the darn thing on its side, and take the bottom pan off. Take the bottom off the pump where the two hoses go, and pop off the two clips. Hopefully your problem will be obvious, like a bunch of lint, soap scum, pennies, etc.

Don't wash bathroom rugs in the calypso! The calypso is a notorious swallower of bra underwires, socks, panties, plastic army men, coins, you name it. Also check the drain hose, and google the class action suit. You never know, your retailer may help you. Let us know how you make out!

I just thought of one more thing; you said you had to lower the drain pump. Did you take it off? The calypso has self leveling legs, but only in the back. You might try raising the front to get the water where it's supposed to be...
Good luck!

glasgow, United Kingdom

problem with my washing machine it spins but doesnt drain the water . have blown down the pipe and it appears unblocked and free running , anyone any suggestions please ?

Miami, FL

Hi I just wanted to know if someone can help me also with my Avanti top loading washer
10 lbs capacity . I washes the babies clothes fine but will not spin after it drains water. Any suggestions before I have to call the service man . I pulled out the pump it is fine and also the synchronizer box all gears look fine. It might be the lid switch maybe . I unplugged to see if it would work but no luck. thanks juan

Henderson, TX

It doesn't spin and it doesn't drain the water, Help Help Help

Virginia Beach, VA

Hello,
I have a MAV6451AWW Maytag washing machine, that is belt driven. i can turn the belt from the bottom side and it turns the inside, but i cant turn the inside by hand. It sit for a year and now it wont spin, it sounds like its going thru the cycle but when i open the lid its not moving at all. the clothes are soaking wet when its done, but the tub is not full of water. do i need a new motor?
thank you,
John

Edgerton, Canada

I have a whirlpool front load washer but all of a sudden it doesn't spin out the water does anyone know what is wrong.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Dean, your pump might be clogged up. Sometimes you can remove the front cover off at the bottom, and try to get access to the pump. Check for obstructions.
Or you can google "Whirlpool front loader not emptying water" and it will pull a whole bunch of appliances service sites.

Good luck.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

John, it could be trouble with your main component of the lid switch, or just a stretch belt. Those belts will stretch over time.
The motor sits on a sliding system. When it spins one way, it tightens it up, but when the belt is stretched, it can't grip. You can also do a google on your Maytag.

Goshen, OH

I have a stackable frigideire washer and dryer, mine wouldnt spin out my husband found a nail which came out of his pocket had lodge down one of the holes in the tub it was keeping it from spinning its worth a try, kaggy good luck

This message was edited Nov 29, 2008 4:55 PM

Johnstown, CO

My machine has a drain filter located on the front panel at the bottom of the machine. Clogs with lint, change and various other goodies. If the filter is clogged, it will not drain. Warning!! When you remove the filter, all the water remaining in your machine will escape all over your floor. Be prepared with many, many towels.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

We never get water on the floor when we change a pump.

Springfield, VA

I think timer stopped up pipe for the pump, pump is clogged....

Libby, MT(Zone 5b)

Mine had stuff inside the drain pump. My hubby pulled the front off, opened up the thingy and took out the teeth flossers, legos and other stuff, put it back together and wa-la, worked like new.

Boone, NC

Hello. My question/problem is...I have a 5 year old Frigidaire front loader (stackable set) and it just decided to not go through the final spin cycle, the other day. I had a technician come out and he said it was the 'control panel'...however, I'm leery of his diagnosis. I discovered how to find the error code and it is E11 which is the water flow not filling up fast enough and I don't understand how that would have anything to do with the final spin cycle. I also realized why I'm probably getting the E11 error and that would be because I am on a well and I have to replace my well filters A LOT and I've noticed other things (besides the water pressure) that take place when it's time to change the filter so I think I can safely assume that the washing machiine reacts to the 'low pressure' and gives me the E11 message. Does anyone know why the spin cycle would refuse to cooperate because of the E11 error? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! The technician gave me a $350 estimate for parts/labor and I'm just not sure that's the answer! Thanks in advance!

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/642885/#ixzz2Mlm2BrUa

North Little Rock, AR

I have a Frigidaire front load washer, model LTF2140ES3, that won't spin in any cycle. I've checked the hoses, which are clear, and the pump motor is working. The water will drain out of the tub but it won't spin out. The belt seems tight, and watching it, I can see no evidence it even tries to spin, although I can hear a humming sound when it should be spinning. I've changed out the motor control board, but that changed nothing. The door lock seems fine. I have activated the diagnostic tests, and it will perform a high speed spin here, the door locks and unlocks properly, and it will fill and spin. I've reset by unplugging it for 5 minutes, then ran a load of clothes in regular option. Same thing; clean but soggy with no high speed spin. What could be the problem?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.