Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Fuzzy Bug ... Would like ID

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 16, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2006
7:49 PM

Post #2563982

I've seen these very small things crawling around for years now. They look like a crawling piece of fuzz. They blend in well with their surroundings as they just look like a piece of moss or something. But they scurry around on my plants. Anyone know what this bug is and what it's probably doing on my plants?

Thanks,
Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaA2Z
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hill5422
Stephenville, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2006
8:31 PM

Post #2564115

I can't see the critter, only it's camouflage, but it is almost certainly a lacewing larva. They cover themselves with debris in order to hide. It works pretty well. Here is a picture from another website that looks similar and shows the larva from the side: http://www.flickr.com/photos/photophool/184529005/

-FM
DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2006
10:09 PM

Post #2564429

Do these things eat my plants you think?

Camoflage eh, slick little bug. Next time I see one, tomorrow probably, I'll try to remove it's camies and see what is underneath. They don't move really fast, so, I should be able to capture one.

hill5422
Stephenville, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2006
10:25 PM

Post #2564474

In answer to your question of eating your plants, nah, the lacewing larvae are predaceous and their meal preference is usually aphids, but any small tasty insect will do in a pinch.

As for removing it's camies, you may be successful, but I personally don't recommend it as they are notoriously shy when exposed and just happen to use their own poopy to attach their camo to their little bodies.

Ok, I made the shy part up. I'll leave it up to you if you want to play with it's poopy camies. ;-)

FM's wife,
KM
DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2006
2:45 AM

Post #2565354

hill5422,

LOL... poop eh? Well, if they're eating the bugs that eat my plants (such as aphids), they can certainly stay. But sure would be cool to see what they really look like. If I am able to do it, I'll take pics. LOL

Take care,
Donna
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2006
3:00 AM

Post #2565417

It's called a trash carrier, and is the larva of the brown lacewing. If you turn it upside down you can see its body. Like Hill sez, it eats other little insects and then places the leftover exoskeleton of its food on its back for camouflage.

Here's a photo I took under the sterescope of one upside down. It's mandibles are pointing toward the top, bottom towards the bottom.

Thumbnail by ceejaytown
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2006
9:21 AM

Post #2565885

ceejaytown,

Very cool. And very interesting.

And as long as it is eating other insects and not my plants, it can sure stay.
hill5422
Stephenville, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2006
4:35 PM

Post #2566769

CJ,

Hmmmm,...normally the average gardening lay person doesn't have access to a stereoscope with photo capabilities, let alone a simple stereoscope.

My curiosity is now piqued.

Does your stereoscope reside in a home laboratory or your occupational laboratory??? Come on, fess up. I would like some details, please.

Kenya
DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2006
11:24 PM

Post #2568174

BTW... I was playing around with these little fuzzy things today... they don't seem to bite, which is a good thing. But I noticed that they could spin a string (pretty much invisable) to get around... like a spider.

Donna
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2006
12:44 AM

Post #2568454

Kenya - Just a little something I had to have after using them at the zoo as a volunteer years ago. Comes in mighty handy with insects. Everybody should have one ;-) I took a little video of the critter moving around too - but can't figure out how to show it on DG. LOL
DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2006
12:47 AM

Post #2568467

ceejaytown,

Can you create animated gifs from the video?
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2006
12:52 AM

Post #2568485

Well, you're outta my league now. I have no idea. Probably have the capability as far as computer and software is concerned, but not the know how...
DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2006
12:56 AM

Post #2568506

ceejaytown,

Is easy... get a program to do it for ya!

http://www.freewareweb.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?ID=288

Microsoft Gif Animator... it's free! I'm pretty sure, remembering back when, that you can import video files.
hill5422
Stephenville, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2006
1:35 AM

Post #2568667

CJ,

Yes, of course, everyone should have a stereoscope in their home. Wasn't that a campaign slogan at one time? ...oh wait, no no no, that was a chicken in every pot or some such, lol. Ok, back on track. How neat that you have a 'scope to look at the world on a whole new level!

As to posting a video on DG, I think the only way to do so would be to upload and post the video online somewhere that hosts video postings, then come back here and post a link to your video. Depending on the website where you upload the video, there can be some drawbacks as to there being a limited number of views per day, etc.

Or you can ask Dave about how to do it. Maybe he could start a video posting forum on DG. Just a thought. :-)

Kenya
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2006
1:53 AM

Post #2568737

OK, Donna. - What would this do for me? Or y'all? I am pretty dense on this... I would be glad to do it, but what then?

Hill - That's a good idea about video postings, or bugging Dave about a forum. But I think he's got his hands full! LOL I'll check out some sites...
DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2006
5:04 PM

Post #2570820

ceejaytown,

I think you could upload the gif files right here to DG. They would be animated. Not quite as good as a video, but close.

OR

Photobucket.com allows you to upload videos to them (free) and you can simply post a link.

The later might be easier actually. Just thought of it.

Donna
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2006
6:24 PM

Post #2571164

Wunnerful, wunnerful - thanks to both of you. I'll let you know what happens.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America