Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Design: How much does landscaping cost?

Communities > Forums > Garden Design
bookmark
Forum: Garden DesignReplies: 40, Views: 1,028
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
White_Hydrangea
Aurora, CO
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2006
2:59 AM

Post #2569032

Yes, I know. The only accurate answer to that is, "It depends."

Landscapers don't give any kind of estimate over the phone. They want to come here during the week day (and have me miss a day's pay), and look at it before they quote any figures. I just want to get some ballpark figures of what I'm dealing with. Would it cost $150? $15,000?

The front yard is fairly small. It has almost no grass, mostly just weeds. It has massive evergreen shrubs that take over half the yard, and at one point a huge tree was cut down. No stump, but the tree roots still remain. And it's all on a mild slope toward the street.

So there are little pieces of things to be done:

I can't get those tree roots out of there. That has to be done professionally.

I'm seriously thinking of pulling the shrubs out.

The soil would have to be seriously amended. And here in Colorado you have to fill out paperwork up the wazoo (can I say wazoo?) to get permission to do anything to your yard.

I apparently have a sprinkler system. No clue if it works or how to run it.

I'm thinking of going to xeriscaping. My next door neighbor did, and it looks nice, although I'd want more green and less rock. The slope complicates things, though.

So can anyone give me any ballpark figures on what things like this would cost? Or what I should start on first? This is the first time in my life I've had a yard, and I'm fairly clueless. And I did rather expect that any house I'd bought would come with a lawn.

Then there's the back yard...

Also no grass to speak of. Overgrown. Soil sucks. Weed-choked.

And I only have weekends and a couple evenings available to work on stuff.

This thread has 40 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Garden Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Landscaping software? Joan 24 Feb 17, 2008 5:07 PM
Rubber Border Mulch from Gardener's Supply Company drop 41 May 4, 2010 8:37 AM
Garden Paths RWhiz 136 Jan 20, 2009 9:50 PM
Need suggestions for covering big white fence crystalnurse 76 Jun 23, 2008 12:50 PM
OK, here's my Spring project!! Wifeygirl 109 Apr 19, 2010 1:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America