Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Daturas: Pot Size Question

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 31, Views: 293
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
baileykat
Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2006
8:55 AM

Post #2569737

Hi Everyone,
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any post that answers my questions, so here goes...

How big of a pot would you put one datura plant?

The reason I asked is that I bought 3 daturas seedlings, not sure if they are actually still seedlings since they are at least 15 inches high, have bloomed, and have seed pods. All three seems to be pretty bushy, plenty of new growth, all the good stuff. BTW, these are Datura Meteloides (according to the plant tag), by Annie's Annuals. When I got them, 2 weeks ago, they were in 4 inch pots.
Is it ok if I put all 3 plants in one 14 inch pot, or should I give them each their own pots? If so, what's the minimum size should I give them?
I was about to put them each in their own container, but from a 4 inch pots to 14 inch seems to be too much, for me, at least.

Right now I have all 3 in one 14 inch pot so they don't dry up so fast and wilt, since we had a heat wave a week ago or so, I couldn't keep up with the watering if they are kept in their 4 inch pots, that's why I put all 3 there.
But I'm sure it's still very easy to dig them up and move them to their individual pots if needed to.
The weather is cooling off here, so if I need to transplant them again, I want to do it soon.

One more *not* on the subject question, is it true that Datura Metel 'Blackcurrant Swirl' is an annual instead of perennial?

So, I need your opinions/suggestions/comments, here. Thanks a bunch!

Sherly

edited for name typo...oops

This message was edited May 26, 2008 9:34 PM
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2006
10:18 PM

Post #2572126

Hi Sheryl,

In your zone, your Blackcurrant should be perennial.

As to size of pot, the bigger the better. There are 6 plants in each of the containers in the picture below (take 7/16/6). You can get an idea of how big the containers are by comparing them to the window.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

baileykat
Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2006
10:43 PM

Post #2572229

Thanks for answering my question, X.

Wow, those are some big containers, eh?
I better pull them out and give each of them their own pots then.

Nice to know that the 'Blackcurrant Swirl' is a perennial here. It's so pretty.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2006
12:50 AM

Post #2572593

I use ProMix BX potting mix. It's peat & vermiculite with extra added goodies. It's much lighter than dirt and more root friendly. For really big containers like the ones above, fill it 3/4 of the way with partially composted grass/leaf clippings and the rest your potting medium. Or you can fill it up half way with empty plastic jugs or 2 ltr soda bottles, that way you don't have to spend a fortune on potting medium.

X
baileykat
Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2006
3:39 AM

Post #2573242

Hey, I would've not thought of that on my own...
Great tips!

BTW, I just got 2 extra pots, all three of them will be in their own pots.
The 'Blackcurrant Swirl' is almost blooming. Can't wait to see it.

Thanks again, X.

Sherly..

edited for name typo

This message was edited May 26, 2008 9:34 PM

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #5008302

Bumping this up - can Daturas be potted up "too" much? Rec'd a little seedling (a few inches tall with 2 sets of leaves0 at our recent RU and wanted to put it in the pot where it will be the rest of the season? If their roots don't like "spreading out" I can put it into a 3" or 4" cow pot and then into the larger pot. Which would you suggest?
baileykat
Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2008
4:49 AM

Post #5008566

Hi Chantell, fancy seeing you here.
I'm just going to share my experience with datura seedlings until someone that knows more give you a better answer. So, here goes, I've been sowing my datura seeds directly into 4 inches pots, and when they finally sprouted and have several real leaves, I plant them directly into their final pots/locations. I don't find them to have any adverse effect in being over potted at all. They seem to grow faster once they're in bigger pots or in the ground.
Over here, once established, they're very drought tolerant even in pots. The biggest pot I've put a datura plant is a 14" terracotta pot (maybe equal to about 5 gallon). I suppose mine don't grow gloriously big since they're restricted to 14" pots. They died off to the ground every winter but always came back. Smells wonderful!! But I suppose you already know that. hehe.
Hope this helps a bit...

Sherly

This message was edited May 26, 2008 9:51 PM

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #5009566

Good Morning, Sherly!!!
Yes I was excited to "see" you over here. I had a Brug - which sadly may not come back (my bad for leaving the pot out all winter - mild as it was for us) & Daturas that I sadly neglected and left in their little pots. So I wanted to be a better "mom" this year esp. after finally be blessed (the brug last year) with that incredible scent. The pot I put it into last night is probably = to a nursery 5 gal...so I'm glad to hear your's have done ok with that. I put a few double tuberose clusters around it...hoping for an amazing scent mid to late summer!!!
How've you been btw?
Hugs,
Chantell
baileykat
Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #5011966

Been good, Chantell, thanks! How about you?
Did you make sure you checked that the daturas and brugs are dead? You might be surprised how they'd come back to life! Once they put on the new growth, they should start growing like gang busters.
The "Blackcurrant swirl" actually died on me after 1 season, but the white ones came back so I try to remember to save a seed pod or two for insurance.
Good luck with your datura! I can't wait for mine to start blooming, too.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #5012837

Yes...I'm forever the optimist...so I keep watering that pot that the brug was in...our weather's finally warming up (note: I'll be complaining in a month) - so I'm hoping...maybe...just maybe...we'll see... LOL

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2008
5:25 PM

Post #5046783

Chantell, I'll keep my firgers close for you, but I have a feeling you will really be complaining to us soon, they are so tender! Clemen

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2008
5:58 PM

Post #5046936

Well if she's dead...she's dead. I've got a few babies that were given to me and a 1-2 plants headed my way. I'll take better care this time!!
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2008
9:52 AM

Post #5050541

pot size depends on how small or big u want ur plant to be. smaller pot - u have compact growth, whereas bigger pot will give u taller plants. remember datura growth: the whole plant will grow as tall if bigger or deeper pots are used. if planting on the ground, it can grow to 4-6 ft tall. it can grow to as big and wide u want the plant to be. similar to a rose bush, u can trim and shape D. metel and inoxia to ur liking. i do not hesitate to trim, the more i trim, the more flowering area are produce by the plant.

i also trim off spent flowers. to be able to enjoy more flowers. i try to enjoy as much flower as i can. in my area, i only allow seed pods to form late Sept to early Oct. do not quote me on this, it all depends on how cold or warm the autumn weather. our choice on plant growth is controlled by Mother Nature.

hth,
ma vie

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #5051793

Excellent advice...thank you Ma!! I have her in a large pot - equal to about a 5 gal nursery pot...so hopefully she'll like all the growing room she has. Keep forgetting you're in the High Desert - think I told you some time back that I lived in Apple Valley back in the mid 80's...I can only imagine what it looks like now!
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #5051888

don't even think about it, it is now a cement jungle! hardly any open space left. too many houses, subdivision style built.

problem with datura in pots, the tap root always managed to escape the pot. i do not know if it is just me, it's a problem i always encounter... the very reason why i prefer growing them on the ground.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5051947

That's sad...I remember feeling torn - being 20 and thinking the place was soooo slow - yet enjoying the tranquility as well.

Sadly they're not hardy here...I may put a few IN the ground and then pull...not sure how happy they'll be - being disturbed like that but I'm willing to try. For now the little 'Metal' is putting on new leaves and seems quite happy. Something, I believe, was nibbling at her (some insect - couldn't find it though) so I spritzed her leaves with the neem mixture...seems to have helped.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5052124

if u can get hold of some 4 o'clock aka Mirabilis plant will be great for the datura or any plant. Japanese beetles [JB] eat the leaves and flowers of datura or other plants the JB is attracted to, but if have mirabilis plant, the JB will devour on the 4 o'clock plant instead of the other plants in ur yard. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=284184

it is hard to detect JB, they are good in hiding under the leaves, or any spot they can hide. pls read this link, http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/47/

edited to add one more link http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/435270/

This message was edited Jun 4, 2008 1:03 PM

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #5052253

Thank God I've not seen any JBs yet this year...sadly I'm too familiar with those nasty things!! I've got 4:00's but they're out front.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #5052337

don't bank on it, wait till temperature gets warmer, start praying. i hope u have more than one mirabilis http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/269462/#post_284184

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #5052355

Will throw seeds out tonight out back...I've got tons of seeds...LOL

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #5119345

Well "proofs in the pudding" - evidently these babies LOVE a bigger pot...note holes are from recent hail storms not buggies - have tuberose and stock growing beneath

Thumbnail by Chantell

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #5119384

looks more like they need to go in the ground.

remember datura roots grows as deeper as the tall plant appear to u. i know i dug one too many of those. ie. if the plant is 2 ft. tall, expect the root to be 2 ft deep under the ground.

datura metels are know to grow taller, whereas inoxia tend to grow sideways not up.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2008
12:32 AM

Post #5119411

This is a NOID Double Yellow (that's what I was told - not sure since it was grown from seed though). If I put it in the ground it's gonna be a little rough digging it up when it gets cool here. I some how thought I'd bring the pots inside like I did with another I had a couple of years ago - and just let them go dormant
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5119453

it is ur plant, do as u want. i just thought if u grow in the ground u will get more flowers and seeds later on.

i never bother keep them in the winter, since it is super easy for them to grow here. i am getting too old to drag plants in the winter. i only save those that are worth saving.

u are young and have lots of energy, not moi ^_^

wait and see till u get the flower, then we can detect if it really is a noid. keep us posted.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 18, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5119479

MaVieRose - thanks for the info on metel vs inoxia.
I grew Inoxia last year & they were beautiful & very prolific.
Couldn't find any this year, so am growing metel.
They didn't seem to be as full, and I was wondering...
Now I know - thanks :-)

btw - I've discovered Brugs, and love 'em!! Think I'll become a Dat/Brug grower in my garden lol
hmmmmmmm sounds funny if you say "dat brug" 3 times, fast lol Say it with enough force & you sound like you're swearing lol (Did I say that?!?!?!)

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 18, 2008
12:44 AM

Post #5119491

MaVieRose - i'm with you - not gonna drag any plants inside. Easier to buy new, or better to grow from seed... I've been promising myself for years that I would bring some plants (different kinds) in, but I never do...

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2008
12:46 AM

Post #5119508

Now you've got me wanting to grab the shovel and put it in the back yard in the flower bed...mercy...decisions, decisions...LOL. Even that 12 1/2" pot's beginning to look small eh?

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2008
1:24 AM

Post #5119710

And this thread goes back to what year??? Amazing how gardeners keep track of these things, Clemen
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #5119867

all i can say is... i have learned thru experience. i have no one to pass them to, so i might just as well share so others may benefit.

i like to grow in the ground, whatever seed pod, i don't get, go all over the place. i do not even have to plant any, they grow on their own. i don't need to twiddle my thumb in anticipation

if u do not know yet, i have observe daturas have similarities to poppy plants. once u plant one, u have an eternal growth. both poppy and datura seed has a habit of popping seeds all over the place once they mature. they pretty much germinate on their own at their own time and temperature. don't u guys like my style of planting? LOL.

i grow brugs in straight sun under worst conditions: winter temp down to 10 degs. F., summer soaring to 115 degs. F, strong winds, super hot sun. but they live.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/445791/ , http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/400807/datura

Thumbnail by MaVieRose

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #5120192

Ma vie what a pic, Now I can understand why you say they grow under any conditions, Wow! Clem

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2008
2:52 AM

Post #5120291

Ma - amazing...simply amazing!! I now feel compelled to put her in the ground this weekend...she'll be my guinea pig. I don't have nearly the yard space you do but I have a place for her at least!!

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #5120403

And I feel bad about putting them in pots! They look great in dessert dirt! Clem

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Anyone grow variegated daturas from seed? chrisaggie 10 Nov 15, 2007 4:56 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America