Late, Aug. 1, 2006

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Lots happening around here.
It's been on the dry side all summer, but we were getting by.
When I woke this morning we had " of rain overnight. Started raining at 7 AM & rained till 1 PM.
We went to Farmers Market this afternoon, terrible humid all afternoon. We finished market went for a little shopping,
at 7PM a tornado warning was put out for the area by our home, (we were 35 miles east in Mankato at the time.)
My wife was home alone, so we kept in touch by cell phone. She spent some time in the basement. Just a few miles from home, a man called the radio station, saying his grandfathers farm place had been leveled by a tornado. That place is about 10 miles straight west of us. No one was hurt & it was the only place hit. We must have had a downpour, because water was standing between the rows in our garden. All is calm here now , but it is still raining.
Nite all,
Bernie

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

I'm glad to hear that you and yours are OK! This weather is strange. We missed both markets this weeks cause of flooded roads! In southern Arizona?? Think we're all grateful for the rain tho!

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

So glad all is ok with your wife...I betcha she was scared...I know I would have been..To bad about the family loosing their home..

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Looked in the plat book, the place is exactly straight west, 8 miles.
Still raining, some places have flooding. Looks like a long night.
Bernie

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Glad to hear that everyone's ok.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm glad you and yours are safe. Tornados are so unpredictible. Cell phones can really come in handy. At least you could talk to each other and know what was going on. Imagine if you couldn't and had to drive home wondering what you would find.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The National Weather Service visited the sites today. The one closest to us was a F1 & traveled on the ground for 2 miles. The other was a F3, mile wide & on the ground for 1 mile. F1 has winds 73 to 115 MPH, F3 150 to 216 MPH. We went & looked today. Both places had tar roads going by them. There was skid marks on the road where cars, trucks or wagons were pushed across or down the road. One set went down the road like a snake track for about 200 FT.
One of the collectable tractors at the close place was bent sideways. I don't think that could happen if it rolled over. One shed was completely gone, but the hay bales were still in a nice stack. A small harvestor silo was laying on it's side & looked like a bent soda can.
The one with the F1 had a big grove on the north side of the farmstead. No trees were down or broke, but had tin roofing & other parts hanging in them.
One TV station that flew over the area today had pictures of the corn fields. The corn was flat, but layed in a pattern with all the stalks towards the center. Looked like a fishbone.
Here is a link to some pictures I shot.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/634732/
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images