Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Dahlias: Will the real Edinburgh please stand up?

Communities > Forums > Dahlias
bookmark
Forum: DahliasReplies: 19, Views: 267
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mvespa
Englishtown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2006
11:45 AM

Post #2577931

Hat's off to you Poochella - these pics are for you! Some of the dahlias that Poochella sent me are starting to bloom and boy are they gorgeous!

Here's the real Edinburgh with it's first bloom!

Thumbnail by mvespa
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mvespa
Englishtown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2006
11:46 AM

Post #2577933

Scarborough Brilliant with it's first blooms - this is my favorite so far!

Thumbnail by mvespa

mvespa
Englishtown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2006
11:47 AM

Post #2577938

Chimichacum (sp?) Topaz and the unnamed yellow. What a great combo this is going to be once Topaz starts to open it's blooms!

Thumbnail by mvespa

mvespa
Englishtown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2006
11:48 AM

Post #2577942

Last one for now - Scarborough Brilliant

Thumbnail by mvespa

Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2006
1:21 PM

Post #2578154

Well my day is made! That Edinburgh is much more purple than the one I sent last year LOL! Very glad it turned out correctly. Now if only I could get Eastern Echo to Pitimpanai- maybe three time's the charm...?

Nice flowers! I love Scarborough Brilliant and this year's plant is very sluggish so may I put in a request to have a tuber back if you dig them up, Mvespa? (If mine doesn't perform well.) Thanks!

Enjoy those blooms. "Chimacum" is the spelling- an area of western WA's peninsula where the originators live.

mvespa
Englishtown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2006
2:45 PM

Post #2578404

Absolutely Pooch! i can't wait to see the others start to bloom. Stay tuned!
The Jack O Lantern you sent me doesn't look so hot, I keep babying it to see if it will pick up, I just have to see the blooms on that one, the name is so intriguing! Sometimes I wonder if it is the tuber itself, or is it where it is planted? Who knows.
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2006
3:12 PM

Post #2578502

It could very well be the tuber. I lost mine early on, and yours may be suffering the same fate. I can't recall now if Jacko- as I call it for short, was victim of the great March Rot of 06 but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm finally just digging up the laggards that don't grow much or look healthy. 9 times out of ten, the tuber is mush.

Maybe you'll have better luck, you never know.

Can't wait to see more of your blooms. That Chimacum Topaz and Yellow FD are just monsters when it comes to putting out flowers. They've never let me down in all the years I've grown them.
mvespa
Englishtown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2006
11:46 AM

Post #2715024

Hey Poochie! Mina's dahlias update.
The hurricane the weekend before last pretty much trampled my gardens to the ground - what a mess! What wasn't decimated by the driving rain and wind, the powdery mildew is trying to finish off now. Sad to report, Cafe Au Late didn't make it and Scarborough Brilliant is putting up a good fight to stay with us. My dahlias are all very leggy and despite the taking and caging, the tall ones all broke for the most part.
And you said Chimacum Topaz couldn't be killed - well I have a remedy for that! It looks like death right now!

But there is good news too! Kasasagi has made an appearance over the last few days

Thumbnail by mvespa

mvespa
Englishtown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2006
11:48 AM

Post #2715025

And Cha Cha - what an awesome show!

Thumbnail by mvespa

mvespa
Englishtown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2006
11:49 AM

Post #2715027

Ta Cha...Here's another of Cha Cha~
So pretty!

Thumbnail by mvespa

Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2006
2:05 PM

Post #2715338

Mvespa, What marvelous, bright colors you have there! With a hurricane remnant passing through you're lucky to have any dahlias still standing. Well done! The storm probably didn't kill Chimacum Topaz, it's just pondering when to spring back into action LOL.

Congratulations- you're a good dahlia caretaker indeed. Here I worry about a moderate rain or light wind; but to have any dahlias standing after a big storm like yours is amazing!
mvespa
Englishtown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2006
6:15 PM

Post #2716156

Actually - they aren't standing but laying on the ground ;>) I should try to take a pics of the entire gardens. My plants are now growing horizontally rather than vertically. Quite an interesting look from the standpoint of garden design! LOL

I had to pick up the blooms of Cha Cha for the pic. And Kasasagi is a low grower, so I bent down for those pics. Kasasagi is actually doing pretty well and i am hoping that Reedly makes an appearance, since it is planted right next to Kasasagi.

Any tips on how to force them to bloom with so little time left in the season? It is sooo cold here today!
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2006
6:38 PM

Post #2716206

Well I was going to suggest ample water, but if you've just had a storm, you already likely have that in your garden. Sun will help and other than that maybe a higher phosphate amendment like Mor Bloom but I think that is only 0-10-10.

Here's an article from your coast:
http://www.longislanddahlia.com/dahlia_tips.htm
mvespa
Englishtown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2006
4:11 PM

Post #2837810

Hey Poochie! A few last dahlias before the season is over are making an appearance.
Here's Jennifer's wedding - she is gorgeous!

Thumbnail by mvespa

mvespa
Englishtown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2006
4:13 PM

Post #2837816

Here's Mingus Erica still blooming here little heart out!

Thumbnail by mvespa

mvespa
Englishtown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2006
4:15 PM

Post #2837819

Here's a gorgeous iridescent orange one that you gave me - I absolutely adore. I didn't commit the Cultivar to name though. The blooms literally look like they are glowing embers!

Thumbnail by mvespa

mvespa
Englishtown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2006
4:18 PM

Post #2837833

And lastly here's a spent Kasassagi bloom with a diligent little bumble bee grabbing his last bits of pollen for the season. Poor little buggar is late with his duties!
And by the way - Jack O'Lantern might (and that is a strong might) make an appearance - he's got a bud (has had one for about a week) one one puny stem he managed to grow that I am hoping will open before the frost comes!

Thumbnail by mvespa

Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2006
2:21 AM

Post #2841573

Pretty, pretty dahlias there Mvespa- Jennifer's wedding just opened here too. It was much earlier last year, but perhaps needs to go to a more sunny area- sigh... Mingus Erica is a real champ. It is one of those beastly plants here that gets so heavy it falls over and has done so 3 times so far! Still growing and blooming.
The orange ember one is probablyReedly from the looks of it, although it could be a slightly larger, fuller, orange/yellow nicknamed Topaz, but really a NOID.
mvespa
Englishtown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2006
4:09 PM

Post #2842911

Ah yes - Mingus Erica is definately a crawler - I was having the darndest time keeping her upright and just gave up. Even though the plant is horizontal, some of her blooms are managing to go vertically.

The Orange ember dahlia is Reedly - thanks for reminding me! The plant marker is buried below a lantana that is sprawling all around this dahlia.

And the color on Jennifer's Wedding is gorgeous. It gets a bit of sun where it is, but because it is blooming so late, it isn't getting as much sun as if it had bloomed in Aug or September.
I am still hopeful that American Dream makes a debut - stay tuned!
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2007
8:44 AM

Post #3400724

Happy Birthday mvespa!!

:)

Susan

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dahlias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dahliettas, gallery dahlias, jackpot dahlias Lenjo 12 Mar 7, 2013 6:27 PM
Dahlias and black walnut hart 17 May 16, 2008 10:37 PM
NO H20 - Candy says "Hi!" Please say Hi back Poochella 11 Oct 12, 2009 12:13 AM
Do ya really really have to dig them? WayehMalamutes 18 Apr 14, 2008 6:30 PM
Emergency Question: How dry before wrapping? Illoquin 54 Oct 23, 2007 12:55 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America