Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plumerias: Malestroms Plumeria Grafting Successes

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 49, Views: 433
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2006
7:06 PM

Post #2579307

Hi Folks,
After many many many dismal attempts, I have finnaly aquired a goodly number of grafting successes!!
The tips are all active in growth and all wilting leaves have recovered.
Some are still wrapped or splinted for support as we get high winds here regularly.
Several have been unwrapped for observation.
I attempted several types of grafts, using the slant cut as well as the 'V' cut
Some of my 'V' cuts were done in an unussual way as I left a good bit of stock above the graft point.
Just an experiment as I cut them back in the future to a more attractive shape.
Here are some of my first successes with Pink Pansy tips salvaged from a 5 tip cutting that started to rot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Malestrom22/My%20Plumies/Grafts/PinkPansy.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Malestrom22/My%20Plumies/Grafts/PinkPansy2.jpg
They are kind of rough and ugly but they took.
Next was a green cutting of Miami Rose, I grafted it cause I wanted to LOL!!
I havent much luck rooting green cuttings so I figured 'hey what the heck!!'
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Malestrom22/My%20Plumies/Grafts/MiamiRose.jpg
Next I did an Irma Bryant, by far my best looking to date.
I still have yet to unwrap several that took a while ago, they may also look this good
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Malestrom22/My%20Plumies/Grafts/IrmaBryantGraft5-06.jpg
Here is a graft of Mrs. Malestrom,
I wasnt going to cut her untill I had several successes first, Well confidence was high ;^)
She took fast!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Malestrom22/My%20Plumies/Grafts/MrsMalestromGraft6-06.jpg
Here are 2 different styles of graft from the same cutting
One is a tip graft
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Malestrom22/My%20Plumies/Grafts/AussieOrangeGraft-a7-06.jpg
The other is a center cut graft which still looks healthy to me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Malestrom22/My%20Plumies/Grafts/AussieOrangeGraft-b7-06.jpg
I always wondered... what do folks do with all these cut tips when they do a graft?
I pot em up and root em lol!!
Theymake great gifts and trade cuttings.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Malestrom22/My%20Plumies/Grafts/GraftTip.jpg
Here are 2 that I treasure to death
I sent them to Florida Colors to have them grafted by the master himself, Luc
Bonnie Fox ===> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Malestrom22/My%20Plumies/Grafts/Bonniefox.jpg
And The rarely ever seen 'Raspberry Ribbon' ===> Thank You Suuuuuukiiiiii !!!
I love you Buddy!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Malestrom22/My%20Plumies/Grafts/RaspberryRibbon.jpg
Please post your attempts and experiences with grafting here, Id love to know!!

Edited to add:
I showed my good buddy Micah how to graft,
He bravely cut a Bonnie Fox tip and did his first.
He was successful!! WOOT!!!
WAY TO GO MICAH!! 8^D

This message was edited Aug 2, 2006 3:10 PM
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 3, 2006
12:06 AM

Post #2580443

Hi Michael! Congrats, Buddy! Great job! I'll take pictures of mine and post them soon. Congrats on all your successes:-) You should be very proud.
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2006
12:30 AM

Post #2580521

Im grateful heh...
Thanks!!
Please do post yours too
This could be a great thread.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 4, 2006
7:31 PM

Post #2586972

I'll take some pics today. Here's a link to my other thread in the meantime: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/606901/ I can't add any more threads or information to the sticky FAQ's thread even though I'd like to. I have to email Terry about that. I think she probably saw how big it is and decided to keep it from getting any bigger! LOL!
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2006
8:14 PM

Post #2587101

I didnt realize theyd lock a thread for size.
lopaka
Davie, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 5, 2006
4:32 PM

Post #2589481

In some of my threads from my old gaming forums i ran we had 340+ pages on some of them alone :O
As long as their are no hugh pics this forum or shall i say server that this forum resides on should be able to take alot..
The forums loads pretty fast for all these topics and i don't mean just the plumie section so that tells me alot about the server and how the forum was coded..
This is why they have a 1 pic limit on any new post and why they don't have sigs and avatars..

Great job on the grafting Clare and Mike...

This message was edited Aug 5, 2006 11:39 AM
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 5, 2006
7:47 PM

Post #2589971

I don't think the thread size was the problem. The post size is the problem for editing purposes, I think. The thread is locked just so it will remain a FAQ sticky and not a thread for chatting purposes.

Thanks, Robert!

Michael, I haven't had a chance to go take pics yet so I'll post some of the ones that I've taken. Here is one that I was a bit concerned about because it looked like the cambium was swelling and was going to form roots at the junction. Kukiat advised me to put it in the sun, and it would heal over, and it has.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 5, 2006
7:50 PM

Post #2589979

I just realized that picture is a bit blurry so sorry about that. Here is my multi-grafted tree. Ten out of the eleven branches are grafted now, and two of them are still healing. Two of them failed and had to be re-grafted.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 5, 2006
7:51 PM

Post #2589984

Here are three Thai varieties that I grafted which were having problems rooting.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 5, 2006
7:52 PM

Post #2589988

Here is the multi-grafted one again:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 5, 2006
7:56 PM

Post #2590001

Here is one that I was concerned about. It joined together, and the scion grew leaves, but the gap looked a little too wide to me. This was the result of the two pieces not being held tightly enough together. I used the nylon rope that Kukiat sent me to re-wrap the union so that the two pieces will be forced to grow closer together.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 5, 2006
7:59 PM

Post #2590005

Here are some more pics of grafts:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 5, 2006
8:00 PM

Post #2590011

Here's my multi-grafted one again. Can you tell that I am so proud of it? LOL!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 5, 2006
8:01 PM

Post #2590013

I've done some grafts lately that have a root stock that is really really small, like the one in the back here.

More later!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2006
9:16 PM

Post #2590222

I have one that is somewhat loose as well
Maybe fused only on 1/2 of the contact surfaces.
If I tie it again and wait will it readhere?

I dont mind if the single grafts root at the union.
Im grafting many just to stop them from rotting while rooting lol!
If they root ill remove them and let them be their own plant
Unless of course it is an inferior plant and needs a healthy root stock to survive.

Your work looks great Clare thanks for sharing all those great photos!!
Congratulations on your successes.
Im doing more now lol!!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2006
1:25 AM

Post #2590862

Michael, there were some of mine that were definitely not being held tightly enough together, and they got pushed apart as they joined together. I am trying to make sure now that there is a enough tape pressure to keep the two pieces in place as they join together.

I had a Thai one that was half rotted and half attached. I broke it off and regrafted it again. If it is attached and if the wood is healthy, I would leave it be, but you can tie them together so that the root stock will not continue to push the scion further up. Tying them together for a while should close the distance between them...I think.

Thank you, Michael, and you are to be congratulated as well! We persevered, and that is why we have been successful. I owe a lot to my grafting mentor, Kukiat. I would never have been confident enough to try grafting had it not been for his encouragement and guidance, and I am grateful to him. I have a lot of plumies now that I was able to save that were rotting. I probably would have lost them, if I had not grafted them, so I am happy to have this skill now. Kukiat is encouraging me to try bud grafting, but I am a little too nervous for that yet! More pictures to come...

Also, congrats on continuing as a Dave's member and happy anniversary! LOL!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2006
5:39 AM

Post #2591693

Michael, I took some pictures today, but some came out blurry so I won't cause people eye strain by posting those. Here are a couple though. This one is just a little fella and a teeny bit on the blurry side.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2006
5:40 AM

Post #2591697

Another small one that is hard to see:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2006
5:41 AM

Post #2591699

These two were rotting and are in pretty bad shape. They may not take.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2006
5:43 AM

Post #2591700

This is a center cut, grafted on to a white. The center cut is an unknown.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2006 10:55 PM

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2006
5:44 AM

Post #2591708

This is the one that had the scion being pushed up by the root stock with a bit of a gap in between:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2006
5:45 AM

Post #2591710

This one has a bit of a gap too:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2006
5:46 AM

Post #2591713

This one does too, and the root stock and scion don't really match either:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2006
5:49 AM

Post #2591718

This one is a Thai one that my cat accidentally broke. It was grafted by Luc, and it broke just above the union. I just recut and grafted it back to the same root stock.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2006
5:50 AM

Post #2591719

This is my multi-grafted one:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2006
5:51 AM

Post #2591722

This one was grafted by Luc, but it is doing something funny there at the union. I'm not sure what is happening here, but I think the root stock is outgrowing the scion.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2006
1:07 PM

Post #2592079

Great job Clare!!
Im glad to see you are employing the 'string' method
Ill try that next.
My best unions have come from electric tape so far.
I love the teflon tape for handling and stretchability.
I do believe the string will be superior.
I plant to try bud grafting very soon
I need to look it over again before diving in.
I also plan to try somethiing new.
I am going to remove the bark from a cutting, maybe about 4 inches wide
Then ill graft it to another cuttings tip end to see if it pproduces anything.
Just another mad idea heh...
I think for the root stock out growing the scion you can purchase a growth inhibiting horemone.
I plan on spraying my whole multi tree with it so it grows very slow.
Otherwise we could have a very unbalanced tree
I do prefer to keep it small anyway as I have to carry it twice a year.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2006
6:52 PM

Post #2593005

Michael, I got the string/nylon rope from Kukiat. He uses it on his grafts, and he wraps it around and around very tightly but not too tightly. The electric tape works well for me also. I may have to get some Bonzai soon as well.
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2006
4:35 AM

Post #2598503

Tonight I grafted a single tip of Paulas Pink into my Paulas Slaughter Pink.
I grafted the removed tip of Paulas Slaughter Pink into Paulas Pink
Now I have 2 treees with both heheheheheee
Assuming they both take,
Lately the grafts have been taking no problem... fingers crossed!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Malestrom22/My%20Plumies/Grafts/PaulasSlaughterPinkPPGraftedin.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Malestrom22/My%20Plumies/Grafts/PaulasPinkPSPGraftedIn.jpg

This message was edited Aug 8, 2006 12:36 AM
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 8, 2006
5:23 AM

Post #2598603

Good job, Michael! "Lookin' good!" said one mad scientist to another!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2006
2:59 PM

Post #2599414

Would someone please explain to me why grafting is necessary. What's it for? Thanks.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 8, 2006
8:15 PM

Post #2600437

Gymgirl, please see this link: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/599185/ Grafting information is at the bottom of the page. A lot of information and related threads about grafting are there, including why grafting is necessary sometimes.
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2006
8:17 PM

Post #2600444

Grafting is an art that allows a person to attach one sepecies of plumie to another in order to prevent rotting while rooting
It can also be done for kicks.
I have a 9 tip celadine that im grafting my favorite plumies into
Mrs. Malestrom, Giant Aussie Orange, Madame Poni, so far
Several more to go..
Ill have a multi tree of my favorites that I will treat with a growth inhibiting horemone so it stays small.
Also they flower at different times so hopefully this tree will always put on a show.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2006
9:40 PM

Post #2608290

Don't ya'll know, "It's Not NICE to fool Mother Nature?!"

I can just see it now: 'GIANT ROGUE, GENETIC PLUMIE EATS NEW YORK!"
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 11, 2006
6:03 AM

Post #2610080

I really just graft out of desperation not to lose my cuttings. I mainly try to root my cuttings, but when they start to rot or looking like they won't root or take a really long time to start to root, I graft them. It's a great way to save cuttings that you might otherwise lose, and I've lost a few!
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2006
12:01 PM

Post #2610360

Exactly!!
I do that too. ;^)
I also like to mess with stuff heh...
andidandi
Arlington, VA

August 11, 2006
6:21 PM

Post #2611540

What is the genetic result of a graft? Does it produce the top plant, the bottom, or some hybrid?
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 11, 2006
9:22 PM

Post #2612083

Heh, heh, heh. We know you like to mess with stuff, Michael! LOL! Don't touch that! LOL!

Andidandi, the root stock is basically supplying the tree with a growing base and has no effect on anything else. Flowers, growth habit, etc. is all determined by the scion.

islandgirl37
Marathon, FL
(Zone 11)

June 17, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8637673

I've read the grafting threads and I see how to do it but have a question. Can you graft them onto a large tree to get multiple blooms of different colors? Or do you have to use a small rootstock and graft the cutting onto it. I have an enormous tree, well over 30 years old. I would like to graft some others onto some of the higher limbs.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

June 21, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8644025

Does not make any difference but the graft does have to stay dry other wise its not going to make it check out the plant clare from calf. did it was amazing read her threads she was the queen of plumies had her stuff toegther she did a small tree with about 8 different cultiars and she showed it when it was in bloom way cool
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

November 9, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8883030

This is an old thread, but in answer to your question, yes, you can graft different cultivars onto an existing large tree; however, it may be difficult for the graft to take for a couple of reasons.

First, newer (green) wood is best because it is actively growing during the growing season, and you need that active growth for the root stock and scion to form a union. Large trees tend to have older wood which may not make the best root stock. A young tree would be the best root stock if you were to graft different cultivars onto it.

Another consideration has to do with growth habit. That multi-grafted tree that I have above that was grafted in 2006 with 11 different cultivars is now a much bigger tree here in 2011, and the growth habit of each of those cultivars is different, making for a very awkward and uneven looking tree. A few cultivars that are grafted on it are taking over while others are slower-growing and/or more compact and are hidden. I have realized that it is best to try and match the growth habit of the different scions for the best result.

The eleven different cultivars don't bloom at the same time either. I think maybe I've had three blooming at the same time on average.

I have several multi-grafted trees, and I've come to realize that I almost prefer to keep one cultivar to one tree for the best health of the trees, but that is just my preference.

Here is the multi-grafted tree today. Right now, there are three finishing up with another two or three inflo's still coming in. The ones blooming are Jeannie Moragne, Jana's Curly Pink, and Peach Glow Shell.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2011 11:29 AM

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

November 9, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8883036

This was in July, when the yellow on it was taking over:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

November 9, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8883091

I remember the first one you did thought it was very cool they have that problem with fruit trees graft 3-4 different to 1 tree nothing seems to have the same growth habits. And you end up with odd lopsided trees I would just prune still think its neat
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

November 9, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8883137

Hi Dana! Yeah, I will definitely do some pruning next year on that one, and I may even take a few cultivars off and just have six or so. I agree it's neat:-) It does look especially nice the first year before it has a chance to grow at different rates.

This was in 2008 when I had Kauka Wilder, Samoan Fluff, and Pacific Pearl on the root stock of Marion B. The Marion B. grew very slowly and was soon over taken by the others. I have since taken off all the scions except Duke and Peachglow Shell so that Marion B. can grow some, but Duke and Peachglow Shell will probably come off next year.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

November 9, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8883650

I always thought this was perfect for the ones in trailer parks no room but want them all. As good as you are at grafting I would have done a bunch I think there would have been a bunch of takers.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

November 10, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8884631

hi clare! hi dana! how refreshing to see this pop up.

i had fun grafting this summer and water rooting.
ljune
Houston, TX

November 10, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8885520

I've really really enjoyed reading this thread and looking at all the different types of grafts. After talking with my friend Vicki and watching her graft I tried grafting 2 small tips. I will see in the spring when they wake up what has happened if they were successful. I did something really silly 2 months ago and still not sure if it will take or not but the grafted part is firm and the top has leaves coming out. Looks healthy but I'm not ready to take the tape off yet. I grafted a Dwarf Singapore Pink onto an Indonesian Rainbow and all still looks good! Unfortunately I didn't have anything else to graft the DSP on to. Anyway I want to read and learn as much as I can about grafting for next year. Thanks Clare and Michael for all the valuable lessons and pictures!

This message was edited Nov 13, 2011 8:22 PM
ljune
Houston, TX

November 13, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8889028

Okay so here is the graft that I did approximately 2 months ago. I grafted a Dwarf Singapore Pink onto an Indonesian Rainbow. As you can see the DSP already has leaves coming out on both branches.

Thumbnail by ljune

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

November 15, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8891175

That looks good, Carolyn! I wouldn't hesitate to take the tape off soon. If you unwrap it carefully without jarring the union too much, you'll be able to see if the union is strong. You can always re-wrap it if necessary. You just don't want to leave the tape on too long as the tissue beneath it eventually becomes brown and rots if left on the union for more than a month or so.
loveplants2VB
Virginia Beach, VA
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #8983924

I just waned to say that this is a wonderful thread with great information.

Going to try grafting this summer and when i saw this thread and all of the advice as well as pictures... It made my day!!!

Thank you to all that have contributed...

I hope that this thread continues...

Take care,

Laura

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America