Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Bird Identification: CLOSED: What is this bird?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 13, Views: 167
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
original_sybil
Brainerd, MN

August 3, 2006
12:21 AM

Post #2580486

Can anyone identify this bird?

Thumbnail by original_sybil
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2006
12:34 AM

Post #2580534

The closest I have gotten so far is Gray- Soptted Flycatcher but it doesn't have the spots on the wings as far as I can see. Will keep looking.
original_sybil
Brainerd, MN

August 3, 2006
12:41 AM

Post #2580561

I'm wondering if it is a sparrow - I thought at first it was a Lark Sparrow but the color isn't right and the stripes aren't as bold as I have seen. Then I thought it was a Vesper Sparrow but I don't think the color is right on that either.

He/she is a real pig - that's for sure. Been at the feeder all day!
original_sybil
Brainerd, MN

August 3, 2006
12:45 AM

Post #2580570

Here's a shot from the back. Sorry about the photo quality.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2006
12:50 AM

Post #2580580

It might be a sparrow. I had my dad in here helping me look it up in his bird book and we found several possibilties but it might be a young un and not have all its markings yet. The spots are what were throwing us off.
cedarnest
Northeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2006
12:51 AM

Post #2580583

Oh My,If that isn't just the prettiest Female Rose Breasted Grossbeak I have ever seen! I could be wrong but it sure looks like the ones we have here in Nebraska .The male is really gorgeous!He is black and white with a deep red crescent on his chest.Perhaps you have seen him too?If not keep a look out for him.I just love this time of year.I notice each year we usually get a few new ones we have never seen before. Cedar

This message was edited Aug 2, 2006 7:54 PM
original_sybil
Brainerd, MN

August 3, 2006
12:57 AM

Post #2580597

Oh dear Cedar - I hope you are right! When I lived a few hours south of here I had Rose Breasted Grosbeaks all the time. I never even paid attention to the females. I will watch and watch and hope and hope...
original_sybil
Brainerd, MN

August 3, 2006
12:58 AM

Post #2580601

I just looked on the web and you are absolutely right! Oh, I'm so excited! Thanks for making my day.
cedarnest
Northeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2006
1:03 AM

Post #2580612

I will keep my fingers crossed you get to see the male.The first time we saw one we took about 10 pictures on our camera and even got out the movie camera.It was like there was a celebrity in town.You can probably tell we really like birds huh? LOL
original_sybil
Brainerd, MN

August 3, 2006
1:16 AM

Post #2580652

I can appreciate your enthusiasm! I just went back outside to apologize to the lady about wanting to run her off - thinking she was a sparrow and had eaten quite enough. She was still eating, the Orioles were sipping, the hummingbirds were drinking and everybody was singing. It's a lovely evening all around!

BingsBell
SC, MT
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2006
3:38 PM

Post #2592437

I was looking it up too...and I found this... http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i5960id.html

See what you think...and let us know, please?

This message was edited Aug 6, 2006 9:39 AM
original_sybil
Brainerd, MN

August 6, 2006
8:08 PM

Post #2593164

My husband saw the male so my best guess is it's the Rose Breasted Grosbeak. I haven't seen her since although I put out a much better feeder for her. Thanks for taking the time to research this.
von76
Newton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2006
2:47 AM

Post #2598087

Yup, looks like a female grosbeak. The spots are a little odd, so maybe a different kind of grosbeak. The second picture tipped me off to her 'gros' beak. I had one here once and never saw her or the male again. I remember thinking the beak was the biggest part of her at the time. Reminds me of those birds on the Flintstones. You can't really see it in the pictures though.

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2006
7:41 PM

Post #2600291

Hi guys! I am new from the center of IL. and it is what you say. I have a pair every Spring of these Gross Beaks as they are heading your way. They stop at my feeders for about three days and are gone. The first time I saw a male I about fell off my seat. He is just beautiful. Hope to talk to you again. I am trying to turn my yard into a wildlife Sanctuary, CU BEV

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America