Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Kitchens: anyone use Sears to reface cabinets?

Communities > Forums > Kitchens
bookmark
Forum: KitchensReplies: 15, Views: 182
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ssdogwood
Lake Charles, LA

August 4, 2006
1:48 AM

Post #2584614

Hi, we will finally getting a kitchen update after last years hurricane. We are using Sears to reface the cabinet an lay a new laminate countertop. Friends have had lots of trouble with workers and repairs so we are going with a national name. Has anyone used Sears for the kitchen? If so, what would you do differently?
thanks in advance. Susan
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2006
11:14 PM

Post #2590537

Guess nobody here has since nobody's responded yet. Do you have Angie's List in your area? If you do, I'm sure someone there has used Sears and commented on how happy (or not) they were. It may be better to check there anyway, I know for appliance installations Sears hires local contractors to do the actual installation, so if it's the same way for the cabinets then the quality might vary from place to place since the actual contractors used will be different. I've never used Sears for anything except appliances--always had good experiences with that, but their remodelling may or may not be the same quality as their appliance installations.
ssdogwood
Lake Charles, LA

August 6, 2006
1:30 AM

Post #2590884

thanks for the tip. I'll google Angie's list and hope for the best.
ssdogwood
Lake Charles, LA

August 6, 2006
1:33 AM

Post #2590895

Nope! My poor state is not on Angie's list but is probably on the countries hit list. Anymore suggestions?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2006
1:49 AM

Post #2590953

We have a program here called Diamond Certified, it's an organization that screens contractors and then if they pass all the criteria, they get to be on the list and you can feel confident hiring them. It's definitely a local program, but maybe there's something similar in your area. Is there a southern gardening forum here? I don't think this forum gets a ton of traffic, so if you have a regional forum you could try posting there too even though this isn't quite a gardening question, you might find more people from your area.

But if you can't get any recommendations from people, since Sears is a big company and cares about their reputation and wants you to come back and buy more, I think I would take a chance on them before I'd take a chance on some smaller company. I think they'll hire reputable contractors since their reputation is on the line too, and since they're a big company, you know they're not going out of business anytime soon, so you should be able to get problems fixed more easily if something does go wrong. That's why I've always used them for my appliances, furnace/AC installation, etc.
ssdogwood
Lake Charles, LA

August 6, 2006
2:53 PM

Post #2592314

thanks for the info. I feel with same way about the Sears company and do think they will work.
escambiaguy
Atmore, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2006
4:17 AM

Post #2674206

I do know someone who had windows installed by Sears and they turned out nice. My heat pump was installed by them also. It's been eight years with no problem. Their prices do seem to be higher though.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 27, 2006
12:28 PM

Post #2762746

Sears work will only be as good as the people doing the work. They pay these contractors by the job, & contractors don't make very good money. So, what you get is not so good workers. The good ones will be working on their own.
I would look around for a reliable contractor. They will have people you can talk to that they have done work for. Our past customers will tell it like it is. If we screwed up they will let it known.
We are doing a kitchen right now for some people that bought a house to update & resell.
The cabinets are basicely decent, but doors & drawers were terrible. House was built in 1969. We made raised panel doors & new drawers. We matched the stain with the color on the face frames. They were in good shape & only needed a good cleaning. The drawers are all in & the doors will go on today. Also we are putting new laminate countertops on, these are handmade.
Here's the cabinets ready for the new stuff.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 27, 2006
12:29 PM

Post #2762748

Other wall.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2006
2:05 PM

Post #2762998

I agree about the work only being as good as the contractors that Sears chooses to hire, but I had always assumed they would make some effort to find decent contractors since their reputation is on the line if their contractor is bad (they lose your business for an awful lot of different types of purchases if their contractor screws up!). Obviously that's not a 100% guarantee, but especially if you don't have the time or don't feel confident screening contractors I usually feel pretty safe with them.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 28, 2006
12:13 AM

Post #2764773

The doors are on, we will finish the countertops in a few days.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 28, 2006
12:14 AM

Post #2764776

Other side.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 28, 2006
12:15 AM

Post #2764778

Bottom.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2006
12:25 AM

Post #2764807

Nice cabinets.
ssdogwood
Lake Charles, LA

June 2, 2007
4:26 AM

Post #3564548

Well, the kitchen is finished and I could not be happier. The cabinets came out better than I hoped. The carpenter was very talented and polite and even did a few extras for me. I am very happy now...I'm thinking about doing the laundry room!
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2007
10:21 PM

Post #3814745

Dear SS, Are you going to put any pics of the finished kitchen here? I know I would love to see it. Buckimom

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Kitchens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If you were replacing a countertop, what would you choose? LooneyLinda 199 Sep 4, 2014 7:05 AM
As requested on another thread, here's my kitchen re-do Connie_G 53 Jun 3, 2007 5:32 AM
Our kitchen is done ! CountryGardens 24 Oct 13, 2007 3:12 PM
Stainless Steel Appliances - Any suggestions?? azrobin 18 Jun 3, 2010 3:55 PM
Ikea? MitchF 11 Nov 14, 2013 8:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America