Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Home Repairs and Maintenance: I hated trimming the grass along the fence

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 15, Views: 418
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jleec
Wylie, TX

August 5, 2006
6:08 PM

Post #2589743

Have a wooden fence and no mower can get close enough to not need to trim.

Had a new roof put on and had excess asbestos shingles left. Have used them to slide beneath
the fence (they are wide enough to cut to fit around posts) so that when I use the mower, I have
very little trimming to do. Used half-sized they fit in front of my flower beds and that is no longer
a problem. I wish I had thought of that at the time of building the beds because I could have
bent them before I put in the bricks (no mortor between them) which could keep burmuda grass
going underneath seeking the dampness of the bed.

At 72, you need to save your back for your flowers.
cedarnest
Northeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2006
12:47 PM

Post #2657719

What an ingenious idea! I have alot of excess shingles.I will put your idea to work for me.Thanks for the tip! : )

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2007
11:53 AM

Post #3297781

I also did same...about 100 ft. of fencing created quite a work task...I put shingles down and purchased wood chips...now, I cut circle into the shingles and plant shrubs as they come on sale..no work, beautifully landscaped..etc.

The B.& B. across the street has gardens to die for and all of hers have shingles under soil...
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2007
12:21 PM

Post #3321887

great idea!
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6289744

LOL, I'm rereading this thread a second time as though it's new to me (again) ha! Still a great idea---we're battling with this very idea now, what to lay behind raised beds between fence and bed. I've started with newsprint which will of course dissolve pretty quickly.
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6814901

cardboard is good also and will amend as it slowly breaks down.
NYGrower
Poughkeepsie - Hyde , NY
(Zone 4a)

August 2, 2010
6:15 AM

Post #8012767

Hi all..

Cardboard works good and so does plastic bags.

I take black plastic bags and slice them down the sides, open them and slide them under what ever I am working on.

The are always the same width, and I can cut them to fit any out cropping of plant or tree.

I use the leaves that drop from the trees around almost everything so they go on top of the plastic. When I can get wood chips from the local dump I put them down on top of the leaves. Wood chips when they deteriate take nutrients from the ground untill they have decomposed enough to put it back. So the plastic keeps them from doing that.

The problem with these methods is that sooner or later they all break down. Shingles has abestos in them and frankly I do not want that in my ground. But to each his own. I am 63 and as jlees says... save the back!

BTW I have a friend who puts down rugs she finds along the road, of course she had tons of land and landscaping that has big rocks and she has equipment. She puts down the rug, pushes rock where she wants it and them puts wood chips over the whole thing. She puts good dirt in circles where she wants ground cover to grow and cuts holes where bigger plants go... So everyone has a different way of doing things. Rugs do work well I must say.

Happy gardening.

Nancy.

NYGrower
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2010
12:50 PM

Post #8015927

Smart friend!
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2010
9:33 PM

Post #8017066

Rugs and old carpeting are fine, just don't forget and mow over them with the mower set on a very short cut. Last fall I got an old mat that was well hidden under dirt and weeds (I have more of a weed lawn than grass)...anyway, that old carpet sample got sucked up and all wound around the blades of my riding mower. having no way to raise the thind, it was averychallenging extracaton. I've also gotten garden hoses the same way. So many old blue words come to my mind when I do things like that!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

August 6, 2010
8:36 AM

Post #8022591

BB, I consider things like running over a hose as an opportunity to upgrade the hose and hose storage device.

Several months ago, DW or I left the hose extended instead of winding it back onto the reel. Our pair of young Blue Healers really had fun - We found pieces of the hose all over the yard. Took a couple of weeks to find the nozzle - they buried it like a bone, and finally dug it up.

But NOW, we have a new much better hose and nozzle and neither of us forgets to put it away when we are done.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2010
10:37 PM

Post #8028106

ROFLOL Bubba I love it! Your whole post had me smilin' :D
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8313541

If you lived where I live, fire ants would take up under the plastic, boards, and asbestos. I do not know how to get rid of them. They just run over yonder and make a new nest. I'm still trying to find out what to kill them with.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 17, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8314775

We have them, all along the Gulf Coast. The baits seem to work the best, but when mating season hits and young queens are flying, they will blow back into an area that "WAS" clean and set up new colonies. The same id true for tremiles as well.

Texas and Florida A7M universities worked together, and as far as I know, are still working on a Fire Ant Grant.

The came up with "Logic" which produces sterile males. It works, but is expensive and again may only give one season of relief.

For less money, "Over and Out" give the same "one-season" relief.

I'm sure we have huge colonies under sidewalks and driveways, too.

The universities also dug up a whole pasture with over 200 mounds. They discovered that they were interconnected, and that the queens did not fight with each other and in fact some mounds had over a dozen queens each. This is an evolitionary change, because the South American Fire Ant is a single queen society, and will defend itself against all invaders including other Fire Ants.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8315869

Thanks, Bubba-Mocity. I have seen where they put plaster of paris down in the ant nest and the distance from the top was astounding. I knew they went deep, but not THAT deep!! I wish I could remember where I saw that info. I will try something different this year. I can't even mulch without fear of ants, and my daughter is allergic to the stings. Thanks!
DWMike
Grenada, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8605284

Want to KILL the FIRE ANTS..?? Use Acephate, it stinks but it will kill the ants and the mound in 12-24 hours. Most wal-marts around here have it under the name..Orthene Fire Ant Killer-made by Ortho in a black plastic container with a yellow lid. This stuff works!!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

June 6, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8612357

Yes it does, but you will want to drive home with the windows open - lol - that stuff really has an odor.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM
Repair Big Screen TV Gymgirl 35 Aug 3, 2011 1:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America