-
AuthorContent
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2006
2:44 AM

Post #2598077

My great grandmother used to make tea cakes whenever we would visit her. She used buttermilk. When I asked her for the recipe, she gave me a list of ingredients...no measures, just a list. I finally found a recipe with the same ingredients in my Mom's old Betty Crocker cookbook. The problem is that my mom is deceased and her cook book is long gone. The copy I used to have of the same cook book was lost in a move. I bought the new 75th edition cookbook, which has heirloom recipes in the back...but no recipe for tea cakse that uses buttermilk. I've seen recipes for teacakes, but none that called for buttermilk.

Someone on the canning forum told me there is a 1950s edition of the same cookbook on ebay and I have written the seller to find out if it has the teacake recipe in it. If it does, it might be worth buying the cookbook...because if it has that recipe, it probably has other heirloom recipes that I would enjoy. Meanwhile, it has got me to thinkig that I sure would enjoy some tea cakes...LOL!

Thanks!

Marcie
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2006
2:50 AM

Post #2598097

Hi Marcie,

Is this the one?

A recipe for old fashioned buttermilk tea cakes, similar to sugar cookies.

INGREDIENTS:

5 to 6 cups flour
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup thick buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

PREPARATION:

Put 5 cups of flour in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center. Add remaining ingredients to the well of the flour. Gradually stir in flour as you mix the ingredients in the well of the flour.

Continue until you make a stiff dough, adding more flour if needed. On a floured surface, roll out to about 1/8-inch thickness; cut out and bake on lightly greased baking sheets at 350 until brown around the edges.

Makes 6 to 7 dozen tea cakes.

BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2006
3:10 AM

Post #2598164

PERFECT! Thank you so much!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2006
2:36 PM

Post #2610786

Wuvie,

Thanks for the recipe!!! I love tea cakes.

Judy
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2006
5:51 PM

Post #2611442

I'm gonna try them soon!
Mahnot
DFW area, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2006
10:28 PM

Post #2612288

I'm gonna try this too. Sounds marvelous. Thanks.
msfarmergirl
Philadelphia, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2006
10:43 PM

Post #2612348

I baked some yesterday. They are even better today! Took some to my MIL and FIL for them to enjoy as well. I had never had them or baked them so I learned a few things along the way. Have fun! This recipe is very easy and makes LOADS of teacakes!
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2006
12:36 AM

Post #2615950

mfg, what did you learn? Anything I need to know before I begin??
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2006
2:09 AM

Post #2616281

Tea cakes are for? or are these biscuts? thanks
msfarmergirl
Philadelphia, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2006
1:24 PM

Post #2617503

Flwrlady, no, it was just me. I had never made them before and made them a little too big. I needed to use a smaller cookie or biscuit cutter. My DH kept saying he thought they were missing something. I looked back over the recipe and I had forgotten the vanilla! I was talking on the phone while mixing. I can't do two things at once. They were obviously pretty good - there are only 3 left! Also, I had to turn my oven to 325...the first batch burned a little on the bottom. Mine oven runs a little hot anyway.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2006
5:01 PM

Post #2618004

OOOhhhhh!!! That vanilla makes a big difference! My mom made cornbread not long ago and she left out the salt... same thing... big difference!!
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2006
8:59 PM

Post #2618605

Hope, teackaes are a sort of shortbread type cookie. If you make them thick they have a cake like texture to them, or you can make them thin and they are crispy like cookies. MY Great grandmother mad ethem as sort of drop cookies, so they had the cake texture. My cousin made them yesterday and rolled them very thin so they had a very crisp texture to them.
msfarmergirl
Philadelphia, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2006
4:05 PM

Post #2621234

Bama,
Did I ever say thanks for the recipe. I'm definitely trying it again (this time without being on the phone). I went out and bought me a new cookie sheet just for this and my AIL's sugar cookie recipe. Needed an excuse, I guess.
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2006
4:19 PM

Post #2621289

Actually, it is Wuvie's recipe...I just asked for it. LOL! Glad you guys are enjoying it, though. I haven't had a chance to make them yet. I used to make them years and years ago but had lost the recipe.

I did make a wonderful cream cheese pound cake the other day to enjoy with the fresh strawberries I had leftover from making jam. DH had never had a home made pound cake before ( funny, we've been married seven years and I never thought to make a lot of this stuff till we moved down home...go figure!) DH has never been a big cake eater...till he met me. Now he loves red velvet cake and he says that he used to love Sarah Lee pound cake...till he tried my cream cheese pound cake. Now he says that Sarah Lee needs to take cooking lessons from me...
leelovespigs
Talbot
Australia

August 15, 2006
9:09 AM

Post #2623860

Can someone tell me is 'Tea Cakes' like a scone? I have posted a pic of our version of a Tea Cake. This one is Apple. Also what would thicken buttermilk be? Is this like double cream perhaps!!!! The recipe sounds so good, I am going to have a go. Thanks :-) Lee

Thumbnail by leelovespigs
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2006
1:22 PM

Post #2624184

A tea cake is a "cookie", or some folks overseas (like Singapore) call them "biscuits". They are sweet and Oh! so good with milk or coffee.
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2006
11:44 PM

Post #2626143

I've also heard of them referred to as single serving scones...
leelovespigs
Talbot
Australia

August 16, 2006
3:39 AM

Post #2627414

Thanks guys, they sounded soooo good that I want to make some. My next problem is how (or what) is thicken buttermilk. Is it double cream (or thicker cream) then normal????
I have the rest of the ingredients but am unsure of the thicken buttermilk!!!! :-) Lee
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2006
1:17 PM

Post #2628107

After whole milk is churned, it creates two things: butter and buttermilk. In the US we can find it in the store with whole milk, 2% milk, 1% milk, skim milk, cream, buttermilk...

As for the "thick" part, I don't know what to tell you. I think if you just find some "buttermilk", you'll be okay. Check out this link: http://homecooking.about.com/library/weekly/aa012901b.htm

Equivalents
1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup yogurt
1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk PLUS 1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice (let stand for 10 minutes before using in recipe)
1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk PLUS 1-3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup water PLUS 4 Tbsp powdered buttermilk (reconstitute before using or add dry to dry ingredients and wet to wet ingredients before mixing
1 cup buttermilk = 1/4 cup milk PLUS 3/4 cup yogurt
1 cup buttermilk = 8.5 ounces
1 cup buttermilk = 242 grams

lee, hope this helps! Pat
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2006
9:05 PM

Post #2629458

When I was a kid, we used to use the milk and vinegar combo since we never had buttermilk in the house. As an adult, though, if I am cooking somethig that calls for buttermilk, I run out and get it.
msfarmergirl
Philadelphia, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2006
1:57 PM

Post #2631297

I've started using "Bulgarian" buttermilk when I can afford it. The other stuff is all "non-fat" or some such stuff. It just doesn't work as well as the "good-ole-days". The Bulgarian seems to be thicker and works better in some things...of course, its more expensive.
I've used the vinegar and milk mixture in an emergency...also have used lemon juice and milk in a real pinch.
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2006
4:57 PM

Post #2631915

I guess I'm old fashioned... I don't use low fat anything. I use real butter...and if it calls for milk, I usually use half and half. I'm 5'7" and I only weigh 130 lbs...so as long as I eat sensible portions, it doesn't affect my weight.

My grandmother's brother was a doctor and he always ate a big country breakfast every day...fried eggs, pork chops, biscuits, gravy... One day my uncle (whose wife had been feeding him flavorless food for a couple of years in an effort to keep him 'healthy') asked him how a man of medicine could eat such a high fat diet. My grand uncle told him that if he ate a perfectly healthy diet, in the end, it might prolong his life by two weeks...and it wasn't worth depriving himself of something he really enjoyed (Southern cooking).

Of course, he had really good genes...all the heart disease was on the other side of the family.
leelovespigs
Talbot
Australia

August 19, 2006
6:35 AM

Post #2637533

Thanks for the help on Buttermilk everyone. I had a look around our local supermarket and actually found 'buttermilk', so will be trying that in the recipe. It's amazing what you find when you go looking for certain things!!!!! I'd never heard of it before, but apparently quite a few people use it in their cooking!!!! Deprived person as what I am, my mother never used it!!!

BamaBelle: the 'Southern Cooking' that you talk about sounds just like ours. One BIG Fry Up!!!! And boy it's good to eat it occassionally. Unlike ourself, I am 170 centimetres tall and weigh 85 Kilo's (and still to loose a further 5 to 10 kilos to reach my 'ideal' weight!!!). I can't afford to look at that type of food - let alone eat it!!! LOL

:-) Lee
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2006
7:06 PM

Post #2641808

I've been at both ends of the spectrum. At one point I weighed 170lbs. Then I had my last hip replacement and had to have it revised two months later, I got down to 120. Then I bounced back up to 150 once I got happy again. Then I got cancer and got down to 103. I could NOT gain an ounce no matter what I did. My tummy was so small that if I ate three bites, it hurt like I'd eaten myself sick. The doc to put me on a med that make me eat like I had a tapeworm. In two weeks I was back up to 123 and I stopped taking it. I have to fight to stay down around 130, but the trick for me is quantity...portion size. If I deprive myself of high fat/fried foods, I will just eat and eat and eat. I have to eat what I crave...but small portions of it.

When I buy steak, instead of putting the whole steak on my plate, I cut it in half and only put half of the steak on my plate (and I cut it up into lots of tiny pieces before I sit down to eat so it covers my plate and looks like a lot)..then I freeze the other half to use in barbecue or soup.

When the peaches were in season, I would take three peaches and squish them up, then I'd add a small scoop of ice cream and mush it up with the peaches. It tasted decadent...but was mostly peaches and very little ice cream.

Little tricks to fool the mind into thinking that I am indulging myself, when in actuality, I am being relatively good. Hope this helps you some...
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2006
1:25 AM

Post #2659930

Bama,

If you have the time, and don't mind sharing, may I ask what the
doctor put you on?

I, too, have had issues trying to keep weight on. As a younger girl
I weighed a healthy 128 at 5'7". After child number one, I could not
get above 112, after child number two (five years later) it was hard
to maintain at least 108. Maybe it's because I hit forty, but I now weigh
112-115 on average. If I could just have ten more pounds, I'd be happy,
but noooooo.

You name it, I've tried it. And the tapeworm note, I completely understand.
I often have to drink instant breakfast shakes before bed so I can make
it through the night. It's like my body processes food faster than I can take
it in! Often you hear someone say they wish they had this problem. Trust
me, ladies, you don't.

:-) Karen
leelovespigs
Talbot
Australia

August 28, 2006
8:57 AM

Post #2667188

I have never had that problem! I just look at other people's plate of food and put that much food on. At the minute I am mantaining at 85kgs but can not get that final 5-10 kilos off!!! I'll just have to keep trying I suppose!! Because we went away for the weekend and indulged with food and drink - I will have to VERY, VERY good for the next couple of weeks!!!! LOL :-) Lee
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2006
11:48 PM

Post #2669369

Sorry to be away so long...I've been down with a lupus flare. Karen, not sure of the spelling. It was an older antidepressant that is hardly ever prescribed any mroe because of the side effect of rapid weight gain. The name of it is Mirtazapam. You might want to ask about the spelling, though.
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2006
7:38 PM

Post #2760963

Mirtazapine REALLY works. After a recent surgery I went from 134# to 103.
The dr. said maybe I was depressed and she ordered the med. to "undepress" me. Don't know about the depression but I finally gained up to 123# and am quite happy.

Ann
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2006
9:59 PM

Post #2761302

Yep. the only thing they typically prescribe it for anymore is for anxiety/depression related 'anorexia' (not to be confused with anorexia nervosa). It is a great med...but you do have to be careful about how long you take it or you will really blimp out. While I was on it, I couldn't stop eating...if I was awake, I was eating! But, it also was a wonderful sleep aid. Wish I could take it just for the restorative sleep. If it weren't for the pigging out, it would be a perfect med for fibromylagia. I'd be big as a house if I took it now!
leelovespigs
Talbot
Australia

October 4, 2006
10:40 AM

Post #2784183

There's where my problem is. I'm actually on that drug for depression. Although I must say that it has the opposite affect on me. I don't enjoy eating as much but when I do, I just add lots of kilos. I have reduced my weight over the last 10 months. I have lost about 21 kilos with a further 10 kilos to loose before I get to that 'ideal weight for my height'. Sometimes I think that these measurements are a bit unrealistic!!!! LOL :-) Lee
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2006
3:43 PM

Post #2785076

Go Lee! Good job on the weight. I personally weigh more right now than I ever have, and I'm older now that I've ever been. I need to take off quite a few pounds. I don't know how pounds relate to kilos, but I lost 30 pounds last time, but I've gained them all back + some.
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2006
7:25 AM

Post #2787369

OMG! FlowrLady! You are actually older now than you have ever been??? Ack! And I bet you are even older now than when you wrote that post! I am having the same problem. Every single time I look in the mirror, I'm older than I was the last time I looked in the exact same mirror! It's a conspiracy...I know it is...OMG, what will they do to us next?

I'm just yanking your chain...tongue in cheek...having a little fun at your expense. Please forgive me...I'm not a mean person, just full of mischief...and you opened the door so lovely there, I couldn't resist putting my foot in it..and suddenly finding that same foot in my mouth. Now how did that happen? Another conspiracy????

I've gained and lost, gained and lost, and gained again... at least a whole other person since I had my son 21 years ago. Right now the doctor's scales say that I am at my 'ideal weight'. If that is true, how come I have this big old poochy belly sticking out in front? And why don't my clothes look nice on me? Why do I have to wear baggy clothes to hide my belly if I'm 'ideal'???? Whose ideal is it? I think those weight charts should be broken down by gender, age, weight history, whether or not you have had kids and how many, your bone structure and stature (like my couisn is big boned and she would be skinny as a rail at my weight, but because I have a small frame, I look like I need to lose at least 15 lbs.) I know they do have charts broken down like that, to some extent...but the doctor's offices just have one chart...like one size fits all??? I don't think so!
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2006
4:16 PM

Post #2788306

Belle, I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that older thing...

My problem is not my tummy... You can see when I turn and walk away where my problem is... If women were built to be pear-shaped, I'm a perfect example if you look at me walking away!!! LOL

I'm with you on those weight charts... who thought them up, anyway?
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2006
9:15 PM

Post #2789012

Men...who think up all the things that become the bane of women's existance? Bras? Men! Pantyhose? Men! Stilleto heels? Men! Having to be anorexic to be 'beautiful'? Men! Everything that curses women is caused by men...menarch, menopause, menses, mental illness...you get the drift...
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2006
9:31 PM

Post #2789048

lol all of ya'll who are skinny are evil evil people LOL :P~
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2006
9:48 PM

Post #2789089

All of y'all...you are a true Southern Lady Araness! You should have seen me trying to explain the difference between "y'all" and "all y'all" to my DH after we moved down here. If anyone needs further clarification, please refer to the thread on the Jokes and Chat forum about Speaking Southern.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2006
11:03 PM

Post #2789237

lol...try to explaining it to my DH who is from Chile. When he moved to Alabama he was so lost.
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2006
10:43 AM

Post #2790286

ROFL! I bet the Southern idioms drove him nuts!
joliebijou
Valley Village, CA

October 6, 2006
7:46 PM

Post #2791726

Thank you Wuvie - I just love Tea Cakes. That reminds me I have a old Betty Crocker Cookbook on a top shelf in my kitchen and it must be at least 35 years old. I must get it and look over the receipes.

Jill and Jolie
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2006
5:04 PM

Post #2987742

I just made scones. I really couldn't figure out what they were supposed to be, but when I pulled them out of the oven and tasted them, they're like my mom's biscuits!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2006
9:00 PM

Post #3021451

Oh, my, it's been a while since I was here last...I've
missed the talk about Mirtazapine. (Remeron)

I just ran down the hall to tell hubby about my excitement
in hearing this information. When I told him it would help
me gain weight as well as help me sleep, he said "Your two
favorite things, sleeping and earting." Huh? With your snoring,
when do I get any sleep?

I'll have to do some more research. I'm not one for prescription
meds of any kind. Heck, I have to force myself to take an
aspirin, but it sounds good!

But when I read the side effects, such as " You will literally eat
sugar straight out of the bag to satisfy your cravings for sweets
and carbohydrates" I began to worry. I can't take in enough carbs
as it is, I can't imagine trying to shovel in more. Whew!

For those with a sense of humor:

http://www.crazymeds.org/remeron.html

After visiting the site and reading more about this pill,
perhaps I'll just stay skinny. Odd that it is also prescribed as
an anti-depressant. I'm not depressed at all.

Or am I?

BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2006
9:33 PM

Post #3023372

It was orignally created as an antidepressant...but they stopped using it (for the most part) because of the weight gain sdie effect. But, for people who are struggling with an inability to gain weight due to health issues, it is a God send. It really helped me...now I wish I could find a medication that would take it off as effectively as this one put it on! Here I am two years later and I would LOVE to lose about 15 lbs. According to my doc, I'm 'skinny'...and according to the height/weight charts, I am my ideal weight. But, tell that to my DH and to the bulging belly that will no longer fit into my favorite jeans...or anything else in my wardrobe except sweats and jogging suits! Seriously, I am not anorexic or anything like that. I am about 5'6" and I weigh 134lbs. The problem is, that is only an ideal weight if you have a medium or heavy boned build. I have a very small frame, so at 134, I look like I am about 15-20 lbs overweight...and none of my tailored clothes fit.
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2006
2:54 PM

Post #3025767

I would guess that exercise would be the answer for those of us w/less than perfect figures. I know people who do crunches, weight lift and run. Sounds like a lot of bother to me. And too much work. I'm 5'2" and weigh 120 on a good day and 118 on a bad one but the figure is not great...

Ann
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2006
4:12 PM

Post #3025929

doesn't always work that way..exercise helps but not as much as it would some.
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2007
8:48 PM

Post #3042958

Exercise isn't an option for me because of health problems.
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2007
9:11 PM

Post #3043033

BamaBelle, I'm sorry that you can't exercise. I don't exercise - just getting too old. I'm doing good to cook, wash and garden to a small extent.

Ann
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2007
12:53 AM

Post #3043784

Ann,

I think we have similar dis-abilities. I hyphenated it because, although we have DISabilites, we also have abilites. Housework is pretty much out of the question for me. Cooking and laundry are limited. But I can garden if I sit down and I do a lot of needlework because I can't stand to just sit and do nothing.

I'm only 47, but I've had these problems since I was 29...they have just gotten worse with time and as other health problems have added on to the original health problems. If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought TONS of insurance so that I wouldn't be at the mercy of Medicare and social security these days. The one thing that I keep preaching to my family is that they should get disability insurance while they can...and buy life insurance and make sure their health insurance has a rider on it so that if they become disabled they don't lose it. You never know what is around the corner...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America