Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Aroids: Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 54, Views: 1,350
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2006
7:34 PM

Post #2604149

Poor quality pic but all I have right now, taken about a month ago. Last week I measured a leaf - 39 inches - wish I had put it in a bigger pot. I know people are growing them (lots bigger than mine) - Tony Advent (Plant Delights) is always sold out.

Thumbnail by AuntB
Click the image for an enlarged view.

begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2006
8:27 PM

Post #2604338

Where do you keep in in the winter? Do you just store the bulb?
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2006
8:40 PM

Post #2604392

Well begonia, I'm not sure. I THINK it makes a bulb, but I was thinking I'd take it to work (more room) and see if I can keep it growing over winter... I may just call PD and ask them... maybe someone who knows will post?
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2006
5:00 AM

Post #2606236

Wow AuntB, that is a biggie! PD catalogue says it's hardy to 7b. What's your zone?

Robert.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2006
1:52 PM

Post #2606861

I'm in 5b, I usually let my EE's and caladiums dry out in fall, dig up, knock off the dirt and store in plasitic grocery bag in a dark place in my basement, but I noticed at our county courthouse they had one growing on a stair landing, so I think the Thai Giant will be okay in my office...
rox_male
Athens, OH

August 10, 2006
5:57 PM

Post #2607682

I hope you are going to enter it into the biggest EE contest, see Tropical Forum posting by Bwilliams.
ROX
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2006
8:18 PM

Post #2608042

Yes, rox, I saw that over there, but thanks for letting me know. (shhhhhh I'm giving mine more growing time) ;) Some lady in FL has one 4ft 4in - can't beat that!
rox_male
Athens, OH

August 11, 2006
12:18 PM

Post #2610403

What zone are you? I still think we need to do a zone by zone contest. I have posted a "promisory note" for a prize for the zone 5-7a people.
ROX
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2006
7:54 PM

Post #2611810

Really?? I'm in 5b... better go feed & nurture... and find that post!
texasbigleaves
Dallas, TX

December 2, 2007
11:20 PM

Post #4254909

AuntB, Did your C. Thai Giant live thru last winter? No pictures this summer of it ? What happened? If you do have any pics. of it please post. Thank You, Jerry PS. like that little robot said " I'am alive,I'am alive" and i need input!!!!!! Thanks.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2007
2:26 PM

Post #4260180

Hi Jerry, it did fine through winter. It's still in a pot and I will put it in the ground in Spring. It is trying to put out a second pup. I'm not as impressed with it as I was that first year. I hope it does better in the ground. I'm home sick today, I'll look for a pic when I get back to work. I don't know if I have a pic of it as the "focus" as it never really flourished. Do you have some monster ones down there?
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 4, 2007
2:51 PM

Post #4260248

Rox,

A biggest EE contest? Is this something that I should look into? Or should I be left off the curve to give others a chance?
GrubWorm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2007
12:10 AM

Post #4262087

Here is mine from the summer. It didn't get as big as I thought it would, and I don't think it liked the full sun it was in. Also it put up alot of flowers when I wanted it to be putting out big leaves. I wonder if cutting off the bloom will make it go back to growing?

Thumbnail by GrubWorm1

rox_male
Athens, OH

December 5, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #4262339

Two summers ago, Brian challenged us to grow the biggest leafed Colocasias and Alocasias.
He sponsored an award for the biggest Alo and Colo in general, and I sponsored an award for the biggest Alo and Colo grown in
Here is the link:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/625762/

This message was edited Dec 6, 2007 4:25 PM
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2007
6:16 PM

Post #4268408

Rox! Was it 2 summers ago?? Doesn't seem like that long. Grub, now that you mention the sun... maybe it was in more sun this last summer... where I had it that it got the biggest leaves it was in more filtered shade with some early a.m. direct sun... I thought the leaves were more green there as well as bigger... now I have to rethink where I'm putting it in the ground this spring..
rox_male
Athens, OH

December 6, 2007
9:28 PM

Post #4268929

I just realized my post got cut off. I added the link to the old post.

And LariAnn...you should definitely compete.
I would love to see all your "babies".
ROX

PS A reminder: I am trying to get everyone to update the Plant Files with images and descriptions. I haven't decided on a prize yet, but there will be one. Perhaps an "exotic" EE from one of my trips.
texasbigleaves
Dallas, TX

February 14, 2008
1:40 AM

Post #4535339

LariAnn, A biggest EE contest for '08. Lets do it!!!!!!!!!!! Jerry

Thumbnail by texasbigleaves

texasbigleaves
Dallas, TX

February 14, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #4535368

Up and coming and hopefuly and possibly a winner in here some where. Jerry

AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #4536764

Ah! Jerry, SO many! They're cute! Congrats! Did you hand pollinate? I need to try that this year..
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 14, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #4536807

Jerry,

Now that I have plants of Alocasia x robudora (A. odora x A. robusta), and they are growing quite vigorously, the other contestants might be at a disadvantage. I'm going to take pictures this weekend to whet everyone's appetite. These new plants look just like robustas except they are not finicky and they don't have the powdery undersides to the leaves. The way they are growing, I'm expecting really BIG Ears this summer.
shadowpaige64507
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #4536865

Did we ever decide between the two dates for the BEF? I want to book my flight, but I wanted to wait until an exact date was set.
texasbigleaves
Dallas, TX

February 14, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #4536894

Yes we do need to set the date of " THE BIG EAR FEST " Jerry
texasbigleaves
Dallas, TX

February 14, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #4536918

LariAnn, The bigger the leaves the more fun it will be to try to get everyones plants even BIGGER. BIGGER the better right, RIGHT! Jerry
texasbigleaves
Dallas, TX

February 14, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #4537022

LariAnn, Please put my name on one of those " ALO x ROBUDORA " for my want list in the future! Plus all of your other GIANTS!! Thanks from the little leaf grower. Jerry

texasbigleaves
Dallas, TX

February 16, 2008
3:39 AM

Post #4544699

AuntB, Hand pollinate? No i just put a pot under a flower and let mother nature take over. I was sure surprised when i saw them. Hope that some will live and get big. Jerry
bwilliams
Louisville, KY

February 16, 2008
6:44 AM

Post #4545136

This plant was grown from a 6 inch plant in one season. It was around 9 feet tall with leaves 5 x 4 or so.

Thumbnail by bwilliams

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2008
6:45 AM

Post #4545138

WOW!!!!
rox_male
Athens, OH

February 16, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #4546164

Where was this grown?
In the ground? Pot? Steroids?
ROX
texasbigleaves
Dallas, TX

February 16, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #4546302

ROX, Very good question. We all would like to know the answer,other than he has all green thumbs! Jerry
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2008
6:12 PM

Post #4546596

bwilliams...!!!!! (picking up chin/mopping keyboard) I'm in awe! Do tell ..ground/greenhouse? greenhouse? This is C. Thai Giant?? What a monster!
bwilliams
Louisville, KY

February 16, 2008
9:46 PM

Post #4547495

I cannot take credit for growing this one. My friend in Indiana grew this plant outside partial sun. He got the plant from me in the spring in a 4 inch pot the plant was around 5 inches tall. He has a outdoor bed that consist of almost 3 to 4 feet of pure compost. He grew this in one season from March to late July August. My plant was around 7 feet tall with leaves just a bit smaller. It seems he had his plant in a more wind protected area and was able to get a bit more size. I think growing plants in a valley like area were wind is not common the plant can spend more energy on producing larger leaves rather than thickening up those stems.

Here is another pic of the same plant.

Thumbnail by bwilliams

bwilliams
Louisville, KY

February 16, 2008
9:58 PM

Post #4547531

I found his mixture of compost very interesting. I walked into the paths in his beds it seemed like we were walking on foam your feet would smoosh down a few inches with each step. I found the compost was not completely broken down, he dug in it with his hands and it was a mix of leaves sticks and black gold. Very airy and very water retentive. He showed me how his yard had a down hill slant into a ditch or valley like area and he started building a compost pile their to help get rid of the slant and to have a place to grow his plants. I looked at the bottom of the ditch he had at least 4 feet or more of compost we were standing. He was serious about his soil and composting. It has sense made me look into adding more and more compost into my beds which I have been working on for the last year or two.
Here is a pic of the commonly sold Colocasia esculenta. I have seen some big plants of this over the years but his was one of the nicest I have seen in many years.

Thumbnail by bwilliams

AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #4548111

Indiana?! Amazing! WOW, it's tremendous! Yours is, too! I need to rethink how I proceed with my mounded bed. More or all compost... I really may not have what I think the ideal light is for it there. I'll have to wait and see how the ice storm affected that area, once the trees leaf out. Not sure I can create a wind free area... Hat's off to both you and your friend. NICE Esculenta, also. Thanks for sharing the pics and info.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2008
4:45 PM

Post #4560013

Here's my puney thing at the end of last summer. Behind the amorph... (Brian, such a show off, lol) The leaves look like they are lacking in nitrogen, or something. I don't think it got enough filtered sun it likes and probably lost nutrients from watering so much, I think I did offer it super thrive a couple times; This guy is going in filtered sun and a big pile of compost w/rotted cow manure next summer. The corm or bulb has grown a lot, so I'll hope for bigger leaves, and dream of 5ft leaves. Seriously, Brian, Thanks for posting the pics and sharing about it, it gives us "Northerners" great hope.

Thumbnail by AuntB

phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #4658541

mine from last summer paul

Thumbnail by phicks

GrubWorm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #4998992

I now have this plant in filtered sun and it is really throwing out the leaves so far this year. It is leaning toward the light a bit so I may move it to a little more sun.

Thumbnail by GrubWorm1

AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5001420

OH, it's pretty! It's looks great, nice color. I've yet to get mine in the ground this year, it still has 2 or 3 small pups (I think) I'm trying to get all my plants where they need to go. I'm having some dirt hauled in for the foundation around my house, so I'll have them dump bucket or 2 for the "berm". I'll add manure, sand and at least 50-75% cotton burr mulch (is that what it's called?) cotton boll, cotton burr, anyway it is decomposed and ready to be used by the plants. Sounds like I could use 100% mulch, but it will be expensive enough at 50-75%. It will probably get a bit more sun than just filtered, too. Brian has urged me to get them in the ground, and I'm excited to incorporate the berm into my garden..I'll try to remember to snap some pics of before and after. Nice pic Grub! Jerry, how are all those seedlings coming along? I'm curious to see how they've progressed..(sorry, if you've posted them on another thread, I get caught up in specific threads and don't check back to see new posts often enough, busy time) Happy Growing Season to everyone!
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #5001453

My Picture up above was 4 feet long by 3 somethung wide Paul

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2008
7:53 PM

Post #5001845

This is a picture of Rita Randolph with hers in her greenhouse in Jackson TN.

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2008
7:55 PM

Post #5001857

The flowers

Thumbnail by slcdms

LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #5001915

Hey AuntB mine is just comming back up. I worried as I put it in the ground in Oct. and did not know how it would do or survive. I called PDN and ran over and got it . It was small when I planted it but we will see how it does.
What kind of food do you put around it? What is mixed in the compost?

Lavina
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #5005183

It is barkish like compost from a Burr Oak tree, I think.. LavinaMae... Lowe's carries it, but they are always out. I don't have a bag of it right now It's cotton burr or boll compost mulch, it looks like rotten bark and dirt (smells good, too :) . I remember the bag saying it can be used as potting/planting medium or as a top dress as mulch...it has been "processed" so that it's broken down, ready to be absorbed by plants. I've used it both ways, and I like it as a component to my planting medium. I don't really feed mine, maybe some fish emulsion or liquid seaweed, or super-thrive 1 or 2X a year and epsom salt when they start looking like they need nitrogen in mid to late summer.. So I'm hoping the new home and meal plan produces some nice color and size, I hope it becomes a spectacle. I may not allow it to bloom this year to see if it's needs a break from re-producing so it can provide more bigger leaves.. I'd like to travel to my uncle's cattle ranch and get well-aged manure from his pens, but that is about a 120 mile trip and I really don't have an extra day to spare. Once things are growing and I have more time I'll make the trip and add it in.. so for now I will buy some from the box store (I read it is about 10% the nutrients of "real" aged farm manure). The bulb or corm has grown a lot, so I've got my fingers crossed for some big ear pics myself, later on. It will be dug in Fall to winter over, growing (staying alive and putting out a leaf once in a while) in my basement. I love seeing everyone's pics, Paul we need a soda can or dollar bill or something next to it, to compare...;) Rita's look as tall as her!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 26, 2008
5:16 PM

Post #5005515

Yes, Ritas was huge, but she has had it in the greenhouse for 2 years, her plan it to get it in the ground this summer.
Sandra
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #5359933

Collaska (sp)10 gallon pot with a shovel, here in NH. Punie compared to yours!

Thumbnail by schickenlady

phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #5360247

mine this year Rox who won last year? what gets bigger a Thi or a Boreno ? Paul

This message was edited Aug 2, 2008 8:15 PM

Thumbnail by phicks

AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2008
7:19 PM

Post #5367931

Schickenlady, I think it looks huge! We have to work harder to keep ours up north here, right? I figure if I can keep the same plant alive through winter, over and over and over... that's enough for me, any size they get is a bonus... Paul, you are the center of an EE flower! Nice.
morishidol
bowling green, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2008
4:26 AM

Post #5416381

Here is my Colocasia thai Giant I put in the ground 4 weeks ago!!

Thumbnail by morishidol

morishidol
bowling green, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2008
4:28 AM

Post #5416387

And here is another picture after only being in the ground for 4 weeks,,what a big difference 4 weeks can make!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by morishidol

bwilliams
Louisville, KY

August 15, 2008
5:11 AM

Post #5416539

Looks good.

I took a quick picture of mine today while out walking around.

Thumbnail by bwilliams

AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5423004

I need to get mine out of that pot and into a bigger one with fresh potting mix. Guess it'll be planted in the mound next Spring. Mine looks lime green... I've given epsom salts and still light green, it has bloomed this year. You guy's look great!
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2008
4:54 AM

Post #5455607

I've really gotten into EE this year myself. Here's two of mine. I was told the first is a Mac and the second a Gigantea. Both had huge leaves a few weeks ago, but the Col. Gigantea bloomed (twice with 5 blooms each) and that made the leaves a tad smaller. Still beautiful additions to the yard though. The Mac especially took off in the back after it was in the ground.

Thumbnail by keonikale

keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2008
4:55 AM

Post #5455614

Hopefully I was able to pollinate this one. It looks like the seed pods are producing something, so I'll know soon. I also obtained a Borneo Giant this year, but I think it was blocked from the sun too much and didn't get a lot of water - it has hardly grown at all. So I've dug it back up and put it in a decent sized pot. It was a small plant to begin with, so maybe next year it'll do better after it's more established. I had high hopes for it.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2008 12:56 AM

Thumbnail by keonikale

texasbigleaves
Dallas, TX

August 23, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5456532

keonikale, I think we got you hooked on EE's and that's a good thing i think. You can'nt have to many EE's in a tropical garden! My Borneo's did'nt grow very much for their first year or two and they took off and up they went. My Col. Thailand was giant last summer and this yr. its leaves are no larger than a caladium. This week it has rained for the first time in 8 weeks. It has been a very HOT and dry summer. But the plants are already looking better and getting larger. My Col. Thai. from last summer. Jerry

texasbigleaves
Dallas, TX

August 23, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5456678

keonikale, If you can bring your EE's in for the winter so they will not freeze they will keep getting bigger without having to start over again. One of my Alo. Borneo's leaves in june '08. Jerry

keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #5456706

Wow. Those are huge.

I'm going to definitely try and bring in a few, but unfortunately I don't have the room for all of them. It's going to be a tightly packed winter as it is now. The bulbs on a few of my Odoras should mean big plants each year regardless, but hopefully the new Mac and Gigantea will also come back strong next year. I did put a few new Odora bulbs too close to trees this year and I think they're competing, and thus not growing as much as I'd hoped. The bulbs were huge, 4 fists or so. Two are giant now, but the other two in the "woods" are much smaller.

I do always hate having to wait for them to get going though in the Spring, I get worried they didn't make it through the winter for a few weeks - and then, finally, I see them sprout.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM
Amorphophallus bulbifer bulblets? raydio 16 Jun 14, 2008 1:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America