Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Dianthus: the Dianthus are Blooming!

Communities > Forums > Dianthus
bookmark
Forum: DianthusReplies: 20, Views: 344
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

August 10, 2006
5:47 PM

Post #2607659

Dianthus bloom fairly late here in our cool summers, but many do very well here. I have grown many kinds and have had good luck with them wintering over. Here are some Dianthus allwoodii. When do the dianthus bloom in your neck of the woods?

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2006
3:25 PM

Post #2651472

My dianthus started blooming in the end of June - the first one was Dianthus plumarius - most are in bloom from early July onwards. How is the summer temperature up there in Alaska - I'm wondering if it's similar to the cool summers we have here in Iceland.

This is how they're looking today - Dianthus plumarius has a lot of spent flowers but D. deltoides is still in full bloom (started later). I grow them in a raised bed along our driveway where they get full sun for most of the day. I've covered them up with fir branches from January (put our christmas tree and the neighbours' to further use after Christmas) to shelter them from the winter wet and they've done really well. Dianthus nitidus and D. callizonus are also blooming at the moment but D. superbus and D. amurensis 'Siberian Blues' haven't started yet. Dianthus alpinus flowered in July but is done now. As you might guess I collect them - I have a few growing in the greenhouse that I raised from seed this spring so I don't know if they survive the winter here yet. :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

August 23, 2006
5:34 PM

Post #2651891

Lovely, lovely dianthus! I can see they like their home. The full sun and warm pavement beneath close at hand probably makes them happy, as well as your climate. I grow D. plumerius, D. allwoodii, D. deltoides, D. knappii, D. barbatus, D. superbus, D. 'Siberian Blues' and a couple others I can't recall. I'm not familiar with Dianthus nitidus and D. callizonus. Will they grow in our USDA zone 3? Do you collect seeds? Perhaps we could trade some seeds.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2006
7:04 PM

Post #2652168

I've collected seed from both D. nitidus and D. callizonus and I'll be glad to trade with you. I have no idea what their hardinezz rating is. D. callizonus is said to be a bit tender in an icelandic book on perennials so it surprized me how well it has grown. It's become one of my favorites.
Here's a photo I took of it last year, July 9th.

Thumbnail by rannveig

Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

August 24, 2006
5:58 AM

Post #2654072

It certainly is lovely. Yes, I'd love to trade some seeds. Take a look at my trade list and D-mail me. If there is something specific you are looking for, I can always dig into my seed tote!
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2006
2:22 PM

Post #2757203

Hi All,
My china pinks are blooming for the 3rd time this season :o) but this is the most
blooms it has produced, I tried getting the seeds from the last 2 times they bloomed but
the darn roly polies got to them first, so I dug it up and put it in a pot and WOW what results.
I was wondering will it be okay to leave it in the pot outsid all winter or should I put it in the
ground again???

Thanks Connie

Thumbnail by pepsidrinker

Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

September 25, 2006
9:53 PM

Post #2758497

Those are lovely. They look like Strawberry Parfait. You can winter over in pots if you bury the pots in the soil up to soil surface in the pot, then mulch. Dianthus chinensis are just grown as annuals in many climates, but will survive as short-lived perennials or biennials in other climates. They often come back for us here.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2006
11:33 PM

Post #2758717

Really lovely pinks cegoins! Such pretty flowers :o)
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2006
3:48 AM

Post #2759364

Thanks, I am really hoping I get seed from this round :o)
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 15, 2006
2:14 AM

Post #2818022

Well I didn't get to get seeds this time around :(
Darn weather...

Connie
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

October 15, 2006
4:20 AM

Post #2818319

It's been a lousy year for seed gathering here, as well. Chilly summer and wet fall.. bad combo! I tried to collect seeds from the Parfait China pinks last year, and I couldn't find seed. Maybe there aren't any.
linjasar
Upper Saint Clair, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2007
8:26 PM

Post #3460321

Ok, now I am sad. I lost all of my dianthus this year!
ice_worm
Palmer, AK
(Zone 2a)

May 3, 2007
8:56 PM

Post #3460436

Bummer, linjasar. What a shame. Are you sure it's hopeless?
linjasar
Upper Saint Clair, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2007
8:51 AM

Post #3461707

There is not even a twig coming up. I have no idea why. I had about 4 different kinds. I don't know if rabbits did damage, I don't remember them eating the dianthus before. Oh well, my garden of "didn't make it" plants is incredible!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

May 4, 2007
12:20 PM

Post #3462315

Some dianthus are considered annuals, some biennials, some perennials, and some tender perennials. What types did you plant?
linjasar
Upper Saint Clair, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2007
12:37 PM

Post #3462359

I think cottage pinks (?), firewitch and strawberry something. Does that help? I am always looking into the zone factor and I thought these were ok. The strawberry somethings were from Lowes or Home Depot so I am not surprised they did not make it.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

May 7, 2007
11:36 AM

Post #3471955

Cottage pinks should be perennial, but there is a variety called Strawberry Parfait that are usually grown as annuals.
taramark

(Zone 4a)

August 15, 2007
9:08 AM

Post #3858570

Rannveig,

What is the shrub/vine on the right side of your picture?

Thank you,

Corinne
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2007
11:57 AM

Post #3858767

Corinne - it's a Salix species that was very commonly used in hedging in the 70's, but is less popular today. It's an icelandic hybrid of unknown origin. It's just listed as Salix sp. in my book on trees and shrubs grown here.
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

August 20, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #5442001

A couple of you had problems with your dianthus returning. After some years of trying to get them to thrive, I learned that they like an alkaline soil. I planted the latest batch with a handful of lime. They're doing MUCH better - have survived a winter nicely. I now test the PH and add wood ashes when it gets acidic again.

LAS
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

August 25, 2008
2:26 AM

Post #5463684

Good information, LAS. Dianthus don't seem to mind my soil being a bit acidic, but they also like our climate, so maybe they are more forgiving about the pH.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dianthus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dividing Dianthus 2zeus 19 Mar 5, 2007 3:08 PM
Dianthus at HD FLStu 13 Apr 18, 2007 10:29 PM
Dainty Dianthus Shirley1md 16 Jun 25, 2007 1:14 AM
Need dianthus for a very sunny bed silverfluter 22 Oct 22, 2010 8:13 PM
dianthus care crockny 3 Apr 17, 2008 2:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America