AuthorContent
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2006
10:11 AM

Post #2613959

Here we go a fresh new thread. Try saying that after a few to many vinos ;o)

In our relocation intro pack it says that you have 2 weeks vacation time a year, is this true for all Canada of is it regonal?

Reason for asking is that over here we get more.

Steve

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2006
12:22 PM

Post #2614124

Hi Steve - Haven't been watching most of the previous thread, but looked in this morning. The two weeks is, I think, a minimum vacation time. The norm in the US is two weeks but many jobs in Canada have more, generally depending on how long you've held a job or how good your bargaining unit is. The Food Bank where I worked for many years gives 3 weeks. My daughter who works in a support role at BC Intstitute of Technology (BCIT) belongs to the same bargaining unit as the teachers and get 5 weeks each year even though she's only worked there since 2000. Most would be somewhere in between, I think.

Ann

This message was edited Aug 12, 2006 9:51 PM
Ironwood
Fredericton, NB
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2006
1:10 PM

Post #2614221

Steve - Two weeks vacation is the minimum mandated by the government, so it can range anywhere for 2 to 6 weeks typically. Also most areas have 10 statutory holidays over and above the vacation days.

I would also like to add that there is no problem growing Aconitum/Monkshood here on the East Coast but I suppose as with anything else there are some varieties that are less hardy.

Ken
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 12, 2006
9:40 PM

Post #2615507

most government and quasi government organizations give 3 weeks to start and 4 after 5 years
many large corporations do the same
most small companies are more like the US and give the minimum 2 and 3 weeks after 5 years.
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2006
9:38 PM

Post #2625743

Thank you.

That is good news. We were hoping it would be more than two weeks.

Will be printing out all the forms this weekend. Once they are filled in and posted then the long wait begins... :o(

Time update: we should know if we have been successful within two years.
andycdn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 4b)

August 24, 2006
3:03 AM

Post #2653641

In Ontario, labour laws dictate a 4% payment on part-time wages for vacation time. This can be paid per pay period or annually, or accumulated in time.
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2006
6:09 AM

Post #2674349

Were coming to Canada for our vacation next October.
Arriving in Vancouver then going on to Kelowna. Is it better to fly or drive to Kelowna and can anybody recommend a place to stay when we get there?
While we are there we will be checking out housing and the job situation in both Kelowna and Vancouver. Kelowna is our first choice to live and work., but anywhere in that area will be just fine.

Steve
oltmanns
Peachland B.C., BC
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2006
8:13 PM

Post #2676033

Hi Steve I live in Clearwater, B.C. now, but lived for many years in Kelowna. If your looking for some of the best driving scenery then by all means drive. Kelowna is quite large, so lots of places to stay.Will be the off season so should have no problem with accomodation. Not sure what the job market is like though.
Will give you all the information I can.
Lynn
June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON
(Zone 4a)

August 31, 2006
12:09 PM

Post #2677876

Steve, please be prepared to be flexible about location. My husband and I fell in love with Vancouver and the mountains after visiting friends there, but waited three years to get a job offer in Canada. When it came, it was from a company in Toronto. It was the only offer, so we took it anyway. Turned out to be the best move we ever made. This was 25 years ago, and I'm a happy Ontario gardener. So I guess what I mean to say is, B.C. is beautiful, but Canada is great all over!
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2006
12:31 PM

Post #2677913

Hear, hear! So true.

Don

Thumbnail by DonM47
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MQN
Salt Lake City, UT
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2006
6:57 PM

Post #2678918

Hate to say it but in the US 1 week is standard;+{ Why am I here again?
2zeus

(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2006
4:03 AM

Post #2686561

Another honorary Canuck?
MQN
Salt Lake City, UT
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2006
5:01 PM

Post #2687614

I ain't an expatriot, just alien to this paticular region. My heart is still broken, I hate Hurricanes.
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2006
12:26 PM

Post #2711660

Found out we can fast track the immigration system by having a job that is desperately needed over there. Time to upgrade my shunting unit license to full HGV (articulated lorry). More expense but it will be worth it to get there quicker.
June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON
(Zone 4a)

September 11, 2006
8:43 PM

Post #2713190

Steve, you do know that in Canada we drive on the right side of the road, I hope? You'll have lots of fun learning not to panic when you are on the correct side, but someone drives towards you on the wrong side of the road and suddenly you can't remember which side you are supposed to be on. Then just as you get used to driving on the right, you go back to the UK for a visit and the same darned thing happens there. Lets see, what else have you got to look forward to...no roundabouts, but we have four-way stops, and in some places you can turn right on a red light. In Ontario, a flashing green traffic light means you have right of way, but does it mean the same in B.C. I wonder. And we have bi-lingual signs on the highways (Exit/Sortie, etc).
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2006
6:41 AM

Post #2714850

Hi June
We have been on holiday to Las Vegas and Florida and I have driven in both places (mad drivers in Vegas. Only drove for a day there) In Florida for 2 weeks, the strangest bit was turning right on a red light. Over here I'm sure half the people who pass their driving test have half their brain removed!! When we have our vacation over there I am going to do as much driving as I can to get used to the different rules you have.

Steve
MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2006
3:17 PM

Post #2715570

Steve, after driving in the UK for a couple of weeks, and in NZ for a month, the basics are the same. the driver is always closest to the centre line, and the passenger is always closest to the ditch. Our speed limit signs are in kph. turning right on a red light is OK unless theres a sign that says not to. We use a lot of the international signs, that are just pictures, ie a stop sign in a circle with a line through it means no stopping, but you k.ow that already. I think once you get here, you'll not find driving a problem. Our roads are probably wider than yours too.

Linda
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2006
2:53 PM

Post #2738926

I have always driven where ever we go. Australia, Florida, Las Vegas. Las Vegas was very scary, first time driving on the right and in a left hand drive car. Wasn't a normal car either, was a Plymouth Prowler, bright yellow.

Latest update. Where I work they have sent out a memo about making half the workforce redundant (I think you say laying off) and I might be one of them :o( Good news is I should be starting my HGV (L1 + air brakes) driving lessons soon, and the sooner I pass the tests the sooner we will be over there. Am applying for a job with Kindersley Transport Ltd. Anyone heard if them?

Steve

This is the pile of *@~#£%$ (nearest I can get to cussing and not being kicked) that I drive at work for shunting work.

Thumbnail by Veshengo

ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2006
3:49 PM

Post #2739092

Wow Steve! That truck would be pulled off the road in Ontario as unfit, I'm sure!! Hurry up and come to the "legislated paradise" that is Canada!!
Christine
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2006
4:07 PM

Post #2739164

Don't worry, it is used on a private site not on the open road. I used to be the safety officer in my area and I checked every health and safety book on lorrys and it broke every rule, and we are still using it.

Here is another vehicle I use.

Thumbnail by Veshengo

jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 26, 2006
2:36 AM

Post #2759146

yes i know kindersley i have a buddy who has driven for them for quite a long time. they have routes thruout western canada

in modern terms we are not calling that a RIF (reduction in force) which isn't happening anywhere in western canada other than for people abandoning ship for what they think is a better job
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2006
6:44 AM

Post #2759588

If I get a job with Kindersley, they say they can help get us over and help with getting my license converted to a Canadian one.

Have had my medical and sent of for my license, so should be having lessons soon.

Edited for good news and bad news:

Got made redundant Friday. :o(
Got license back today. :o)
Start lessons today. :oD

This message was edited Oct 2, 2006 9:34 AM
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2006
8:17 PM

Post #2785877

What is the weather like in Edmonton? We might be relocating there because that is where the work is for truck driving.

Steve
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2006
9:08 PM

Post #2785998

I've never lived in Edmonton, but I hear there's just about every extreme you can think of to its weather. I'll leave it to an Albertan to fill you in on details.
Christine, in far more temperate South Ontario
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 4, 2006
9:10 PM

Post #2786001

Cold winter, warm summer!
MQN
Salt Lake City, UT
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2006
10:00 PM

Post #2786142

I am a former native of Edmonton - this is a city where the residents are encouraging global warming. We could actually build igloos as a kid and have them last all winter long, anything south of Calgary it would not be worth the trouble due to chinooks. Due to oil prices at the moment Calgary is experiencing housing & daycare shortages. Personally I believe that you can find a job in any city in Alberta, I would not go further north then Calgary (however if you like hockey the ONLY team to support are the Oilers) to darn cold too long. With the chinooks (anything south of Calgary) you will have a few days or weeks of spring like weather in the middle of winter. It is a dry climate that some people have trouble getting used to. Hope that helps.
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2006
6:48 AM

Post #2787347

Thank you. That has given us something to think about.
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 5, 2006
11:45 AM

Post #2787532

the weather is great if you love sunshine, long summer days, and clear dry air. sure we have it pretty cold for a few stretches in the winter but we dress for it. there are 4 distinct seasons to enjoy.
aside from weather Alberta offers great schools, wonderful recreational opportunities, great arts scene, friendly people, virtually zero unemploymenht, wide open spaces very close to large urban centres, spectacular scenery, great gardening, ...

i love this province and this city wouldn't live anywhere else
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 5, 2006
11:46 AM

Post #2787538

oh yes and i should mention the lowest tax rates of anywhere in canada
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 5, 2006
2:46 PM

Post #2787959

The big problem in Calgary right now is that there are lots and lots of jobs but the cost of housing is so high that people cant afford to buy homes and rental housing is at an all time low.
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2006
4:01 PM

Post #2788253

Where we are in Kent (50 miles from London) the cost of living is very high and so are the house prices. With our searches on the internet for houses, university (for our daughter) and work, St Albert in Edmonton seems the ideal place to start our new life.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2006
3:03 AM

Post #2793012

Veshengo
Hi
I have been reading your threads , I too came from England.
I was only 6 when I arrived in 1963 with my parents and two little sisters. My folks wanted a better life and I think we have been very blessed and am proud to say I am Canadian, I too wouldn't live anywhere else. I spent 1 year in California and really missed the snow and change of season.
I love the long summer days when you can be outside gardening from early in the morning till 11 pm at night and still see what you are doing. The cold winter with bright blue skys beat rainy grey days for me!
My Mom Dad and sisters have migrated to Calgary and I am happy to stay here where the gardening is better. The Chinooks wreak havoc on plants.
Edmonton has a fabulous river valley to play in and has excellent theater. We also have a festival of one kind or another all summer.
Anyway there are many other places in Canada that would fit this description you won't be sorry about coming here, I know my folks never thought about going back.
Ann

Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2006
10:18 AM

Post #2854896

Start lorry driving on 1st November. Have got a part time doing multi pickup and drop off. Its only part time so I give us time to do all the paperwork for our relocation.

Cant believe it, we may be in Canada in 6 months. Exiting and scary at the same time.
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2006
11:56 AM

Post #2855028

That's good news! Good luck with your new job.
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

October 27, 2006
12:09 PM

Post #2855057

That's great, Veshengo! Will it be St. Albert then?

Sandy
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2006
12:48 PM

Post #2855152

Hi Sandy

Hopefully it will be. This weekend we will be checking out the real estate websites that deal with that area.
Will keep this thread updated as we progress.

Steve
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2006
12:50 PM

Post #2855157

We all look forward to welcoming you to our great Country, Steve. How exciting!

Don
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 29, 2006
2:22 AM

Post #2860772

Veshengo
St Albert is a great place and it's growing so fast it's almost at Edmonton already!.
You may find a home in the very north west of Edmonton for less money. Also if you are looking for a trucking job they seem to have a lot in Nisku which is inbetween Edmonton and Leduc. There are some small towns that have great amenities and would be close , Beaumont comes to mind.
For some reason I think you were wanting to be close to the university, is this so?
Ann

Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2006
5:42 AM

Post #2861211

Hi Ann

Yes we want to be close to the university for our daughter who will be following us when she finishes her exams. She wants to go into nursing, either midwifery or child care.

Steve
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 29, 2006
2:10 PM

Post #2861897

Hi Steve
Have you determined the driving time from St Albert to the University?
I know that Sherwood Park which is east of Edmonton has a bus service directly to the university. I'm not sure what the St Albert city offers. In any case I live minutes from the U of A and houses here have become quite dear. Very small homes (two bedrooms with about 700-900 sq feet) are currently at 300-400 thousand. Most of these have basements. I have been here for over 25 years so got in when things were more reasonable.
Currently the City is expanding their light rail (train) system to go to the South side and that system stops at the U of A and goes up to the north east side . This would give your daughter good access to the University.
I would be happy to answer any question you have and if I don't have the answers direct you to a site that would.
Ann
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2006
4:06 PM

Post #2862185

Hi Ann
St Albert is where we would prefere to go but we are flexable with that.
Steve
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

November 1, 2006
6:20 PM

Post #2872431

As an outsider I would highly recommend Edmonton. What a city, what an economy, what a place of nice people, and most importantly what a terrible garden zone. Sorry Lynn but I would need a little more gardening season. But I do love Edmonton. Good travels Veshengo. Steve.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2006
8:27 PM

Post #2872806

Two of my brothers and one sister would concur. They like Edmonton too! :)
MQN
Salt Lake City, UT
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2006
9:11 PM

Post #2872945

Whats with the Americans taking over? Any media on the North American continent going on & they HAVE to get involved. ...what?...oh!... the address under my name?...never mind...
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2006
11:31 AM

Post #2874526

Our 'murrican friends are always welcome over here. After all, we do occassionally try to annex one of your states here at DG, so it's only fair to take the people with the land, eh :-)

--Ginny

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2006
4:04 AM

Post #2877213

Hey, watch who you're calling 'murrican! LOL There's a lot of expats over here just longing to move home. ha ha!

As for that annexing part, make sure you pick one with a great climate -- IA sucks! HOT in the summer, COLD in the winter and WINDY all year!!
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2006
11:24 AM

Post #2877485

Sounds just like where I live - right on the border of Southwestern and Midwestern Ontario :-)

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2006
1:34 PM

Post #2877811

How far is Blyth from Lindsay?
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2006
2:01 PM

Post #2877877

Hey kooger. Lindsay is about 160 miles (200 km) northeast of Blyth. We are located about 25 km east of Goderich, and Goderich is right on the shore of Lake Huron. I've included the mapquest map for the trip from Blyth to Lindsay so you can see.

This message was edited Nov 3, 2006 10:02 AM

Thumbnail by ginnylynn

Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2006
2:59 PM

Post #2878063

Good news.
We will be coming over for a vacation end of Feb next year. Flights booked and car is booked. Place to stay, still undecided.
Any suggestions on where to stay?

Steve
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 6, 2006
11:25 AM

Post #2886606

do you mean end of february 2007?
are you all coming or just you and your wife?
how long are you staying and what do you want to see/do?
will you be looking at real estate at that time?
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2006
11:49 AM

Post #2886649

Yes Feb 2007. Only me and my wife are coming, it will be easier to do what we want. We will be there 24th Feb - 3rd March. Basically this is a recon mission, to check out where everything is and have a good look round, eg. University, shops, amenities. I would be nice to see what the houses are like and the areas available, but we won't be looking at any real estate at the moment.

Steve
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2006
7:55 AM

Post #2893432

Thats it, everything booked for our vacation, just got to loose the kids for a week.

Booking flights with Air Canada on the internet is easy (never done it before), we have even reserved our seats going and on way back.
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

November 8, 2006
11:24 AM

Post #2893575

Yes, the internet is a wonderful thing. Without it we would have no DG! I'm glad everything is going so well for you.
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2006
1:03 PM

Post #2981162

Have got my HGV2 (rigid-no trailer) driving test tomorrow, pass this and its onto the HGV1 (articulated).

Get these and we are one step nearer.
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

December 8, 2006
1:45 PM

Post #2981278

All the best, Steve!

Sandy
inanda
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 2b)

December 9, 2006
12:53 PM

Post #2984411

St. Albert --- = Holes to me. Go google Holes Nursery. Hee hee.
inanda
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2006
6:50 PM

Post #2993403

*##@!!@'''~~#

Didn't pass, will have to try again after Christmas. Never mind.

If I don't post before I'll wish you all a

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Steve & Helen
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2006
9:14 PM

Post #2993798

Don't despair, Steve. You'll cinch it next time, you watch. Merry Christmas to you and Helen too.

Don

Thumbnail by DonM47

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

December 12, 2006
10:18 PM

Post #2993971

2nd time will be the charm. Wishing you and Helen ALL the BEST in the New Year!

Merry Christmas
Pam
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2007
9:30 PM

Post #3268621

Hi all
Long time away from here, computer has broken down. Am using my sons at the moment.

Good news...Have passed my HGV2 test. Now I can drive ridged trucks, all I have to do is pass the next one (HGV1) the we can start out great adventure.

We came over and visited Edmonton last week (24th Feb-3rd March) and had a wonderful time. We were there when Mark Messier retired his number at Winston Churchill Square on the 27th Feb and froze in the -20 chill factor.

We are hoping to come back in the summer for two weeks and will rent an apartment this time.

From what we saw we are thinking to relocate to the Sherwood Park area, but we will have a good look round when we return.

Steve
June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON
(Zone 4a)

March 10, 2007
9:53 PM

Post #3268675

Congrats on passing the HGV2 test! And it's good to know that you enjoyed your visit, and took the minus 20 windchill in your stride.
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 11, 2007
11:29 AM

Post #3270053

congrats from me too. I am sure you had a million things to do while you were here but next time let us know of your arrival and maybe we can meet.
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2007
3:23 PM

Post #3270512

Congratulations on passing your test! Things are progressing. Before you know it you'll be here to stay.

--Ginny
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 12, 2007
4:07 AM

Post #3272452

Steve,

Well, if -20 didn't scare you off, you're all set. We came over from Wales and went to Eldorado in northern Saskatchewan. Had to fly in and out... very remote. I was 9 and that same winter I stuck my tongue on the school bus window frame. Yep. It stuck. Yowww! That hurt like heck to peel it off, I think all my taste buds stayed there! LOL Do you have kiddies? Tell them not to do that. Or, better yet, do not even mention it!

Congratulations on passing your test!

Sandy
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2007
4:30 PM

Post #3292137

Hi All

Thank you. We had a wonderful time and we survived the -20 chill with easy (Helen says it was bloody cold!!!!) Driving in the snow was fun but it was a different type of snow to ours. We have a damp atmosphere (big word alert) here and the snow forms a hard crust and sets like ice and we have to scrape it off. Your snow is better. Dry air (small word, Big ones give me a headache) and the snow is powder and can be sweeped of the cars with ease.

jagonjune

Will let you know when we come out next, and will look forward to meeting.

Steve
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2007
12:45 PM

Post #3294507

Wow, Steve... I just read thru this whole post for the first time today so learned of all your adventures. First, let me say I'm sorry to hear about your job loss. I personally know how scary that can be as I was laid off from Ford Motor Co. last year. It is a nerve-wracking and scary time, isn't it. I have to commend you for your bravery. Relocating to a new country is a HUGE decision. I hope only the best for you. At least you picked a GREAT country to come to. I am in the most southern area in Canada. Its a big country with lots of diversity but anywhere you go, people are always welcoming and friendly. Good Luck and God Bless all of you in your move and the adventures to come.
Maureen
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2007
5:49 PM

Post #3813840

Good news, or should I say 'Exellent News!!!!!!!!'. Have passed my HGV1 test and now I can drive the big toys now.

Will be filling in the relocation forms in a couple of months, need to get a bit of experience driving on the roads first.

Steve

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2007
6:44 PM

Post #3814027

Congratulations..One step closer.
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

August 3, 2007
6:46 PM

Post #3814033

Congratulations, Steve! Things seem to be falling into place for you nicely. Won't be long now.

Sandy
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 3, 2007
10:39 PM

Post #3814813

Steve
Yahooooo for you!
Congrats and hope to see you when you arrive.
Ann
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2007
1:56 PM

Post #3816504

Congratulations Steve! That is wonderful news :-)

--Ginny
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 8, 2007
12:44 PM

Post #3831778

glad to hear from you with good news. it had been so long, we thought you might have changed your mind Will look forward to meeting you in person
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2007
7:35 PM

Post #3837138

Its been so long because my **#~/!!!!!!! computer was out of action. Have ditched it and got another one.

First form filled in on the internet. Just the basics, Name, Address, How long have you had license, etc..

No reply yet.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2007 1:57 PM
JeannineAnne
Coquitlam, BC

August 18, 2007
2:17 AM

Post #3869613

Hi I have come into this thread late, I left the UK in the seventies, following hubby who went first in the 60's and we came back to the UK in 2000. We lived just outside Vancouver.

I may be telling you something you know but just in case...are you aware you can swap your British Driving License for Canadian one, and vica versa if you come back. If anyone else is reading this who needs to know, there is reciprocal agreement between Canada and the UK and it simply a matter of paperwork.

There is a problem coming this way though if you have older kids who get their license and may want to swap.

The UK ask for proof that you took your test in a manual car, this doesn't happen in Canada as they don't discriminate between the two types of car. When we came back we had to take auotmatic licenses in nthe Uk even though we had driven manuals for 30 years and taken our tests there on same, we of course could not prove it, despite all knds of letters from our Canadian insurance and clean driving licenses the UK would not budge, the choice was auotomatic ot take a UK test..we took the automatic.The really silly part was that we could drive on our Canadaian licenses for a year in the Uk before we decided and we drove manuals on them which was legal.

It is worth knowing as perhaps one can get a declaration at the time of the test from the examiner that the UK would then accept.

You will enjoy BC, I miss it very much.

As I havebeen both ways, of you need any help on what topack and take and what to leave and buy fresh there I may be able to help you.

XX Jeannine
Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2007
10:16 AM

Post #3870271

Hi Jeannine.

The license info is very helpful. How often do you have to retake your test in Canada and how long can you drive on your UK license?

We will take you up on the offer on what to pack as and when we get the all clear to go.

Steve.
JeannineAnne
Coquitlam, BC

August 19, 2007
11:04 AM

Post #3873525

Hi Veshengo, I think you can drive for a year, certainlly coming this way you can so it is probably reciprocal.You do not need to retake your test in Canada, wll I think when you get very ancient they can requesy you take one, we had a relative that did, they passed her but only for driving in the daytime.You can apply for an International one if in doubt.

Packing boxes are expensive, watch Freecycle here, I often see them as give aways, or put a wanted on there. You can collect them ahead of time and flatten them.

When we came back we had a company pack us but some stuff I insisted on packing myself, they warned me I would not be covered for damages in those boxes. Funny, the only damage we had was in their ones!!

A good tip,this is funny, we brought a very large artificial Christmas Tree, we had paid $500 dollars for it the previous Christmas and that was half price .At first we thought it was too much to carry here but then figured out the cubic capacity an decided that with all the loose space around the branches we could get something else in the very big long box. Oh boy did we ever. We fitted allsorts in there ,long things like my four feet quilting rulers, doll stands, shoes, evetthing you can think of pushed in between the branches, but the funny thing was, the contents of two desks, pens, pencils rulers, staplers ,artist brushes, icing things,cotton bobbins, serger threads knitting wools ,needles. CDs videos,all the kitchen utensils and their hanging racks. all the stuff that we would have discarded got dropped in among the branches, then the box was sealed woth 2 strong rolls of gaffer tape. We saved £s and£s with that box, wh had a laugh sorting it at the other end though. My husband did the same thin with his workshop, We had an old wooden chest, he packed if full of tools till it could take no more then opened the jars he kept all his treasures little bits in..no room for the jars, but all the bits found a space all by them selves, so free carriage on those too.He just screwed the lid down and it travelled like that.If you have tools you know all the bits you have !!

When I went over to Canada I took some electrical stuff and had the moters changed, like my Kenwood Chef, when I came back here, I brought my sewing machines with me and I have run them off a converter for 6 years with no trouble.

Bear in mind, it is cheaper to get things over there than here, one mistake we did make was forgetting that when we came back here.

Think about things that yu can't get there that you might miss, you might want to take a stash of that with you.

Your videos and DVDs might not work there, if you have Pal you would have to buy a machine that would run them and I believe DVDs are different.

Take things like letters from your insurance companises showing your no claims on your car, insurance in BC is ICBC which is the province, there is no independant companies like here, ask companies you have dealt with here for letters of reference for credit, eg telephone, power, TV and credit cards, stores etc, they all come in useful. Some banks here are also there, but not many, HSBC is common in BC. If you go to Vancouver consider an account with Greater Vancouver Credit Union, they are online , they are excellent, we preffered them to the main banks.I will add other things as I think. If you want to phone me send me an e mail and I will give you the number.

XX Jeannine

jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 21, 2007
5:26 PM

Post #3882348

wow veshengo, you are getting great advice; in alberta we do have private insurance companies and i am sure that reference letters from your existing insurance company and utilities would help (the fact that you will be driving for a living should also help)

we don't retest for road skills until you are over 80 i believe. We do start to require frequent eye tests however at about 65 i think.
castlegar_rock
Castlegar
Canada

August 22, 2007
4:51 AM

Post #3884990

Hi Veshengo, Don't know if you have changed your itinerary from Vancouver and Kelowna, or not, I see a lot of people trying to lure you up to Edmonton, lol, its a great city. Kelowna is very busy, but there isnt very much else like it in Canada, its really unique. Wineries and fruitgrowing everywhere. Average winter temp is about -5 or so. This is Southern B.C. for you. The senery in between is gorgeous. Vancouver is a stunner, lovely, and an English climate, it snows, for 3 days, then it rains. But Vancouver is a bit expensive. However, its very lively, very multicultural and just about EVERYTHING happens there.

One thing you might want to do is check out some Mountain Driving Institutes in B.C., we have a few here in the Kootenays, east of the Okanagan, where Kelowna is. Driving commercially here is lucrative, there is lots of need for good drivers, but I highly recommend some training for these mountain roads. They are not scary or anything, but there are a few things to pick up on here, you wont get in the UK. Good luck!

Katherine

Thumbnail by castlegar_rock

Veshengo
Faversham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6351284

Hi all.
Its been a while because I've been busy with theatre work.
We are flying to Vancouver tomorrow for a visit to my sister-in-law who emigrated there in 2007.
Will be checking out the job situation as well as the leisure activities.

Steve
MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6352071

have a good flight. unfortunately we've been having a cool and damp spring. It even snowed in Vancouver today. Hopefully it won't distract you.
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6355688

It's been a remarkably cool spring this year. Things are late.

Hope you have a good time in Vancouver.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6361265

Steve
Good to hear from you.
Have a great visit.
Ann
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6372022

remember that you may have to change your drivers license to an international one if you dont want to take the course over again in canada it is not possible to change a license from one country to another

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America