Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Mourning Widow

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 11, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

August 12, 2006
6:12 PM

Post #2615003

I've started a Geranium phaeum from seed back in 2004, and placed it in a new bed last year. It gained considerable size over the 2005 season, and returned this spring. This season it has become quite large and it was full of blooms. I love the deep purple blooms and the zoned leaves, but I never expected it to get so big and rangey. I should have allowed more room for it! http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1971/index.html

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Spider07
Lilburn, GA

August 12, 2006
10:37 PM

Post #2615663

Oh nooooo... It makes me miss my garden in england so much... I had 5 of them. all in different colours.

I had no idea you could get them here in the USA. Where did you get seeds from?It is a lovely plant.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

August 13, 2006
7:38 PM

Post #2618392

I can't recall, Spider. I got many of my seeds from a former DG subscriber called Psilo. She had a large garden plot in the UK and sold seeds online under the name 'Cottage Gardens'. I see that the site is down now. All her seed grew well for me. I also traded for some and bought some.

I decided to try more varieties of cranesbill, since we have a local native variety (G. erianthum). It is very hardy here and greatly resembles G. pratense. I've found that all the G. pratense grow well here, but the G. phaeum was a nice surprise. I love the dark zonal markings on the leaf, so it would be welcome, even if it didn't bloom! I guess I just didn't expect it to get so big!
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 13, 2006
8:44 PM

Post #2618567

Any chance you might be willing to share or trade for seeds? This is a really lovely plant. I love the dark purple.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

August 14, 2006
3:59 AM

Post #2619981

Well, if I get some good seeds, I'd be more than happy to share. It is covered with seed heads, but I'm find many of them are empty. I don't think it necessarily gets pollinated, or maybe it's dropping seed before they turn dark. I'll get back to this thread when I see how many seeds I can get. There are surely a lot of blooms.
B1ZZYL1ZZY
Javea
Spain
(Zone 10a)

August 18, 2006
4:24 PM

Post #2635197

Brings back memories for me too. We used to grow this one en mass under a huge weeping willow which used to get a hair cut every summer. You are right about it getting rangey especially in the shade but you do get a better dark colour that way. It is one of my favourites. It used to self seed readily. I'm sorry I never thought to bring seed with me when I moved.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

August 19, 2006
3:00 PM

Post #2638027

Well, I've begun harvesting seeds, so we'll see how much I get. I should have enough to send some. I'll email you.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2006
12:11 PM

Post #2670897

I bought a Geranium phaeum last summer and it's really grown on me - My perennial plant book didn't have a photo of it but from the discription it didn't seem that special. Then I saw a photo of it and just had to have it! It's a very unusual color for a Geranium and I really like it!

Thumbnail by rannveig
Click the image for an enlarged view.

B1ZZYL1ZZY
Javea
Spain
(Zone 10a)

August 29, 2006
1:59 PM

Post #2671204

Rannveig, as a single plant it can be a bit of a wallflower LOL, but when they are in great swathes they come into their own. It won't take long, if they have the space, before they are looking gorgeous!!!! It is a very special geranium. Grow another plant of lime/light green foliage nearby... that shows them up really well - it's a winner
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2006
2:09 PM

Post #2671242

Ah - Good idea! I'll keep that in mind when I start moving things around next year! I have a white G. pratense growing beside it and they look really nice together - but I think they'd look even better with some lime green foliage around!
B1ZZYL1ZZY
Javea
Spain
(Zone 10a)

August 29, 2006
2:55 PM

Post #2671411

We want to see photos of the results!!!!!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2006
4:30 PM

Post #2671732

Yeah I'll try and remember that :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America