Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Mourning Widow

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 11, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

August 12, 2006
6:12 PM

Post #2615003

I've started a Geranium phaeum from seed back in 2004, and placed it in a new bed last year. It gained considerable size over the 2005 season, and returned this spring. This season it has become quite large and it was full of blooms. I love the deep purple blooms and the zoned leaves, but I never expected it to get so big and rangey. I should have allowed more room for it! http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1971/index.html

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Spider07
Lilburn, GA

August 12, 2006
10:37 PM

Post #2615663

Oh nooooo... It makes me miss my garden in england so much... I had 5 of them. all in different colours.

I had no idea you could get them here in the USA. Where did you get seeds from?It is a lovely plant.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

August 13, 2006
7:38 PM

Post #2618392

I can't recall, Spider. I got many of my seeds from a former DG subscriber called Psilo. She had a large garden plot in the UK and sold seeds online under the name 'Cottage Gardens'. I see that the site is down now. All her seed grew well for me. I also traded for some and bought some.

I decided to try more varieties of cranesbill, since we have a local native variety (G. erianthum). It is very hardy here and greatly resembles G. pratense. I've found that all the G. pratense grow well here, but the G. phaeum was a nice surprise. I love the dark zonal markings on the leaf, so it would be welcome, even if it didn't bloom! I guess I just didn't expect it to get so big!
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 13, 2006
8:44 PM

Post #2618567

Any chance you might be willing to share or trade for seeds? This is a really lovely plant. I love the dark purple.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

August 14, 2006
3:59 AM

Post #2619981

Well, if I get some good seeds, I'd be more than happy to share. It is covered with seed heads, but I'm find many of them are empty. I don't think it necessarily gets pollinated, or maybe it's dropping seed before they turn dark. I'll get back to this thread when I see how many seeds I can get. There are surely a lot of blooms.
B1ZZYL1ZZY
Javea
Spain
(Zone 10a)

August 18, 2006
4:24 PM

Post #2635197

Brings back memories for me too. We used to grow this one en mass under a huge weeping willow which used to get a hair cut every summer. You are right about it getting rangey especially in the shade but you do get a better dark colour that way. It is one of my favourites. It used to self seed readily. I'm sorry I never thought to bring seed with me when I moved.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

August 19, 2006
3:00 PM

Post #2638027

Well, I've begun harvesting seeds, so we'll see how much I get. I should have enough to send some. I'll email you.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2006
12:11 PM

Post #2670897

I bought a Geranium phaeum last summer and it's really grown on me - My perennial plant book didn't have a photo of it but from the discription it didn't seem that special. Then I saw a photo of it and just had to have it! It's a very unusual color for a Geranium and I really like it!

Thumbnail by rannveig
Click the image for an enlarged view.

B1ZZYL1ZZY
Javea
Spain
(Zone 10a)

August 29, 2006
1:59 PM

Post #2671204

Rannveig, as a single plant it can be a bit of a wallflower LOL, but when they are in great swathes they come into their own. It won't take long, if they have the space, before they are looking gorgeous!!!! It is a very special geranium. Grow another plant of lime/light green foliage nearby... that shows them up really well - it's a winner
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2006
2:09 PM

Post #2671242

Ah - Good idea! I'll keep that in mind when I start moving things around next year! I have a white G. pratense growing beside it and they look really nice together - but I think they'd look even better with some lime green foliage around!
B1ZZYL1ZZY
Javea
Spain
(Zone 10a)

August 29, 2006
2:55 PM

Post #2671411

We want to see photos of the results!!!!!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2006
4:30 PM

Post #2671732

Yeah I'll try and remember that :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America