Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Central Midwest Gardening: Any ideas on what to add to my mini-desert landscaping plan?

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2006
4:34 AM

Post #2620078

I plan to make a sort of glade/mini-desert in my back-yard.
I am gonna use Prickly-Pear cactus, Chain-link Cholla cactus, rocks (yellow ones, like a limestone).
Any ideas on ferns or trees or anything to add to it. It would be about a 40 foot squar-ish area (not 40 sq. feet) in the back-yard.
Oh yeah, I'm thinking about also adding small Eastern Red-Cedars. Eventually the Cedars would get too big and I'll have to cut them down but would look nice for a few years. Something tree/fern-like that resembled Mesquite would be neat, is there such a thing for this area (KCMO)?
The 2 cactus I mentioned survive Winters here, in pots, so I know their hardy here.
I don't expect Eastern Collared lizards or scorpions to migrate to my mini-desert from Southern Missouri. I have a pretty good imagination, but not that good!

Thanks, Will
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2006
9:32 PM

Post #2622380

Will, maybe you can find some drift wood down by the river. That would look cool.
capt_insano
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2006
10:49 PM

Post #2622676

how about some cold hardy yucca, like Adams Needle? and how about desert-willow (Chilopsis linearis) for a mesquite like tree - it would probably overwinter with protection in KC. They overwinter them outside @ Colorado State University! You just have to keep it nice and dry

This message was edited Aug 14, 2006 5:50 PM

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2006
7:56 AM

Post #2623834

Some driftwood eh? I never thought about that, that might look kinda neat.
Desert Willow, I'll look that up, thanks.
I wonder if tumbleweeds would be a bit much, I think I can get them in Wyoming.

Will

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2006
4:10 PM

Post #2624693

Oh Yucca, yes definately. It will be in there somewhere, I like Adams Needle.
carrjohn
Kellyville, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2006
10:09 PM

Post #2625838

I am going to watch this thread very close. Looks like I am going to a 20 acre desert. John

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2006
8:08 AM

Post #2627770

A 20 acre desert eh? Thats a lot of sand to truck in! I would have several bags of it. But not too much sand, I also want it to have a barren, rocky look.
In Oklahoma, you might be more apt than me to get away with growing Desert Willow, or even mesquite. Heck you got that red dirt there, thats half of it right there, I love the red dirt look. I thought about going to south Missouri just to get a truckload of it.

Will
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2006
3:28 AM

Post #2630551

you're moving John? big spread hunh? sandy desert? or high country?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America