In addition to this forum, DG provides you with many ways to learn more about Hostas, find sources, and share what you know with others. This thread is intended to help you explore those features and provide a permanent reference tool with helpful links and shortcuts.
Getting the most from PlantFiles
PlantFiles has thousands of Hosta entries and tons of information - here are some tips to track down what you're looking for:
1) The cultivar-finder for Hostas lets you browse all cultivars alphabetically: http://davesgarden.com/pf/finder/index.php?sname=Hostas&submit=submit
2) The Advanced Search lets you find the Hostas that meet your specifications (leaf size, shape, color, veins, etc.) http://davesgarden.com/pf/advanced.php?sname=Hostas (Note: You can - and should - skip past any detail sections that you don't care about.)
3) Here are some general search and browse tips that may be helpful: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/608659/
If we've missed a Hosta, here's a link to add a new entry: http://davesgarden.com/pf/add.php
Within any entry (one you added, or existing entries), you can add your own comment, photo and/or ZIP code report if it grows well in your garden! The screen shot below shows you where to look for the ZIP code field; the links to add an image or comment are directly beneath that field.
1) PlantScout has several vendors that carry various Hosta cultivars. Here's a list of the results when searching for "Hosta": http://davesgarden.com/ps/search.php?search_text=+hosta&submit=Search
You can always search for a particular Hosta cultivar, too - here's an example of searching for Frances Williams: http://davesgarden.com/ps/search.php?search_text=frances+williams&submit=Search
Hint: Clicking on the company name in the second column will let you browse that company's entire PlantScout product list.
2) You may find advertised specials in our Classified Ads forum - be sure to check there for special deals and offers, many of which are just for DG members: http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/bulletins/
(Vendors or members with excess plants for sale: be sure to check out this cost-effective tool for advertising your products!)
3) The Garden Watchdog also has a category devoted to Hostas: http://davesgarden.com/gwd/advanced.php?category=14&submit=Go
If you need help in keeping track of your hostas, there is also a category for Tags & Markers: http://davesgarden.com/gwd/advanced.php?category=79&submit=Go
As you can see, using the pull-down list is the best way to find a category (see screenshot below to see how it works.)
P.S. When you've ordered from a company listed in the Watchdog, be sure to leave feedback - what you know helps others!
If you want to read up on Hostas, the Bookworm lists several books on the subject: http://davesgarden.com/gbw/advanced.php?category=32&submit=Go
When you've selected a book from the Bookworm's list, you can clicking on the picture of the cover to access Amazon.com where you can purchase it or read more reviews and information.
Hint: If you've read a book listed in the Bookworm, we invite you to review it for the benefit of your fellow gardeners. Good books are a good investment, but bad books are a waste of money we could have spent on more plants, seeds, or mulch!
3) Sun Tolerance: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/546052/
4) List of Sun-tolerant varieties: http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=1774069
5) List of varieties for Southern gardens: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/738133/
6) Hosta anatomy: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/815560/
____________________________ Do you have a favorite DG thread regarding a particular Hosta topic? Please send us a link here: http://davesgarden.com/helpdesk/forums/ so we can add it to this list!