Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Daturas: How many blooms can you have on one Datura?

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 30, Views: 483
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2006
3:12 AM

Post #2633824

We counted 58 blooms on this one single plant of Datura wrghtii. growing in a flower bed at our church.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2006 10:13 PM

Thumbnail by frostweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2006
3:27 AM

Post #2633873

I didnt count but 2 weeks I couldnt see anymore green leaves with all the flowers. Yours is beautiful how it spills out of the bed. Hows the smell??

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2006
3:29 AM

Post #2633883

The smell is heavenly, of course!!!!
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2006
6:52 PM

Post #2635678

And they call em' Jimson WEED, Nope, it's MOON FLOWER! Just tremendous, frostweed!
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2006
9:53 PM

Post #2636225

That's what they call moonflower? I am confused...not unusual...but, which is it? Next year I want to try the moonflower, and some dats that are the single white. I have some this year but not doing really well with the number of flowers at one time. My MIL's is huge but I have no idea how many plants is there.

Marie

Thumbnail by MyRee

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2006
10:13 PM

Post #2636285

I have the moonflower vine and the Datura wrghtii. They are different.
Datura wrghtii is not a Jimson WEED. Jimson WEED is small white and spreads like a weed.

This message was edited Aug 18, 2006 6:30 PM

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2006
12:03 PM

Post #2637729

Yep, they are all in the same family but very different distinctions. Frostweed needs to post the one of her in front of the Datura so you can see how large the plant is.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2006
2:52 PM

Post #2638008

O.K. Guys here is the picture with me in front, I guess the plant is probably 6 or 7 feet tall and as wide.
I did not feed it anything special, just gave it some compost and mulch in the Spring, and watered it twice a week to keep it from dieyng in this heat. This plant is growin in a flower bed at our church that we are taking care of.
The area it is in, is meant to be a meditation garden, and I think God is inviting people to come and meditate, while they admire the beauty of His creation.

Thumbnail by frostweed

Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2006
2:56 PM

Post #2638017

LOL! Thats HUGE! very pretty!
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2006
4:20 PM

Post #2638238

Yes that is huge. You got the touch girl. Now I know I don't have mine in the right soil, or it is whom is attending it. LOL
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2006
1:45 AM

Post #2646152

Frostweed, are you saving seed from those gazillian blooms? If so, I am standing in line. Beautiful plant, perfect for the meditation garden. Marie

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2006
2:44 AM

Post #2646463

Yes, I will save some seed, maybe we can pass on those terrific genes, I hope so.
Dmail me and I will send when they are ready.
Josephine.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2006 7:21 AM
pdkrones
Monroe, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2006
9:46 AM

Post #2647090

frostweed,

May I get in line behind MyRee for seed?

Peter

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2006
3:35 PM

Post #2651504

Sure Peter, Dmail me your address please
Josephine.
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2006
11:50 PM

Post #2652990

Hi, I have a question about the seeds... this is my first year gardening so I have no experience. I have to confess that I was not ready for the datura... a friend gave me the plant (no more than 12 inches) I planted and I let it go... suddelly it started to really grow... the day I had the first flower I started screaming... I took a picture at 4 pm... by 6pm I came back and started screaming... the flower was open... since then I visit every day, take pictures every day,,, my friend told me to just keep one seed pod going because is more than 100 seeds... now how do I know when is done so I can save the seeds??

thanks

Thumbnail by Kassia

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2006
2:38 PM

Post #2654737

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/641807/ Kessia click on this and will help you
First bloom is always the greatest.
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2006
4:36 PM

Post #2655123

thanks... I will do that... great help!!!!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2006
9:43 PM

Post #2656035

Here is the link in Plant files that if you click to see all the pictures, shows the seeds in all stages. The burst open just as soon as they start drying out.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/355/index.html
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2006
12:58 AM

Post #2656532

thanks Sheila, I had no idea... I am in love with this plant... unfortunatly I will have to plant again next year, according to the person that gave me... but I am going to try all I can to save as many seeds as I can...

this is my plant... right in front of my house,,, I open the door and is the first thing I see!!!

Thumbnail by Kassia

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2006
1:46 AM

Post #2656651

Very lovely Kassia, they are gorgeous flowers.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2006
2:42 AM

Post #2656846

I had a couple of Datura wrghtii that came up from the same root system the second year. Unfortunately, I tried to move them somewhere else since they were too big for the area I had them in. They didn't take well to the move. But I had lots of seed from the previous year.
Oh, and if your plant should drop blooms and not form seed pods; try cross pollenating with your fingers. I had to do that the first year I had them. For some reason the bees and butterflies didn't come. As soon as I did that I started getting seed pods, right before the hornworms ate the leaves. LOL!
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2006
3:25 AM

Post #2657057

my datura collage

Thumbnail by Kassia

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2006
10:48 AM

Post #2657555

You have a happy plant Kassia, nice pics!
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2006
1:31 PM

Post #2657811

I am telling you,... I am in love with this plant!!! I take pictures everyday!!!

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2006
4:36 PM

Post #2658305

Kassia, I think it is wonderful to be so excited about sometthing, good for you girl!!!
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2006
8:16 PM

Post #2658998

well, at least it keeps me out of trouble... my gardening experience has been very fun... and in a way it helps me keep things in perspective... there is a time for everything and I needed to slow down a little!

look at what I found under my porch ( where all my 12 miniature roses are) this is another gift... right there with the datura!!!

Thumbnail by Kassia

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2006
9:48 PM

Post #2659291

Oh!! what a sweet surprise!!!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2006
12:11 AM

Post #2659718

What kind are they? Hopefully you haven't scared off Momma bird.
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2006
12:54 AM

Post #2659849

they are robins... I did scare the mom... but she comes back ... I can see her from my bathroom window... today I only saw one baby in the nest... He scared me... with his long neck and he opened his eyes!!!

so, here is mommy bird!

Thumbnail by Kassia

MUDCATSLIM
Chesapeake, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2007
1:54 AM

Post #3040589

Hello Everyone: As a newbie to gardening I am interested in just about anything green. I enjoy reading all the different forums and the personalitys that go along with them. I am interested in Datura for their fragrance. The fact that they are poisonuous causes a concern but, I am prepared to deal with handling the plants carefully. The question I have is in their eventual size. I am trying to place them in the right spot in an island bed in my front yard. The bed is about fifteen by six foot in the shape of a pear. Some of the pictures I've seen and the comments have lead me to blieve that I may not be able to get one to fit. I already have a beauty berry, some dwarf nandina, a hibiscus, some ornamental grass and a eight foot ornamental pear in the bed. Will want to grow some roses to. I live in zone 7 in Chesapeake Va. and lately we have had some really warm winters. It is forty degrees right now Jan 1 at 9:42 pm. I purchased some datura metaloid ballerina mix from Parks seed. Could I direct sow, would a plant overwinter here? Or should I start them in a small pot early? Are there any cultivars that may make it and smell nice? Sorry for the long post but, as I said I am so new. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
PS The bed is located southwest in relation to the house and, the summer sun usually shines on it from around ten ,till at least six in the afternoon.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2007
2:05 AM

Post #3040603

That would be a very good location for the Datura. I would plant in a pot inside, or when the weather warms up outside in the Spring, they love the heat. Don't worry about the size of the plant you can stake and prune to whatever shape you like, I had one staked this year and it did very well.
Of course you won't have as many blooms that way, but that is o.k. As fro them being poisonous that is only when you ingest them.
Good luck with your Daturas.
Josephine.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America