Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Violas and Violettas: All violets are not the same

Communities > Forums > Violas and Violettas
bookmark
Forum: Violas and ViolettasReplies: 8, Views: 360
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2006
3:00 AM

Post #2637156

I have always loved violets. As children we picked them for our mother for May baskets and May altars. I always mean to acquire some so I can pick and use a glass shot glass as a vase, as we did long ago. But my friend has these crazy violets, no flower, from hades. I have been helping her in her yard and these crazy things are everywhere and do nothing but invade. What is the violet I like and what is the violet I don't like?
Janiejoy
Silver Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2006
2:02 PM

Post #2637925

My wild Violets only bloom once and then they are just green stuff you probably mow over, at least that is what happens in my yard. For a little while every spring I have 2 or 3 varieties - "Confederate" that are sort of blue and gray and the rest are purple and not as fragrant as my childhood friends (we had a special tiny class for them, too and Mom would take us on excursions to pick violets).

Here's a link that may help you - the Violet Society http://www.sweetviolets.com/SWEETVIOLETS/typeslistings.htm

And my back yard...

Thumbnail by Janiejoy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2006
3:48 PM

Post #2638168

Thank you Janiej. I will visit that violet site. You know, I was thinking, and maybe these things are not violets. The leaves look like em but they do not flower at all. I will check it out. thanks again.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2006
1:04 AM

Post #2645985

Janiei-- I love the pic of your yard and would like mine to look like that.

Did you plant the violets or did they just 'invade'?
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2006
1:35 AM

Post #2646110

When I lived in High Springs Florida, there was a woods that was wall to wall wild violets. When I visited the woods, I would bring home and transplant bunches into my yard and always kept an eye out for seeds. I haven't seen any wild violets since I left North Central Florida. I miss them.

X
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2006
2:56 PM

Post #2647705

I'd like to add, that if anyone has them growing wild near them, I'd love to have some seeds!

X
terri_in_PA
Emmaus, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2006
11:48 PM

Post #2665967

Janiejoy... i really like the violets in your yard... so much better then a lawn...
Now you have me thinking...
Maybe i could fill the dead spots of my lawn with violet seeds?
I know the typical heart shaped violet may be considered invasive... but it sure would beat having a lawn to care for...and it would look nicer too!

Im going to look for violet seeds and maybe place an order .
White_Hydrangea
Aurora, CO
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2006
2:08 AM

Post #2666434

When I was a kid in Illinois, we had purple violets in our lawn. They'd gradually spread, but in the ten years I lived in that house they never took over. And they were pretty. I enjoyed them.
JoniJumpUp
Grand Rapids, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2007
1:41 AM

Post #4013893

Just happened upon this thread. I have lived in my home for 35 years, and am an avid gardener, so I am always moving plants around. I am plagued with violets everywhere. I weed them out of my gardens, but I have pretty much let them alone in the lawn. They just bloom once in the spring, then it is just green leaves. I wouldn't mind if there were a few yellow violets, but mine are all purple.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Violas and Violettas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome, Pansy and Violet-lovers! Terry 6 May 25, 2007 11:25 AM
Anybody use them in cooking? Dea 10 Feb 27, 2012 3:49 PM
Wild One hczone6 15 May 15, 2008 8:18 PM
Wild violets kniphofia 5 Mar 26, 2007 3:58 PM
Volunteers Everywhere... Do you let them grow? terri_in_PA 3 May 23, 2007 7:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America