AuthorContent
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2006
3:16 PM

Post #2641192

Hi all,
Your 'Southern Women' thread kept me entertained for a good bit yesterday. Everytime the dogs and I got too hot outide we'd come in and laugh a little more in the AC. But I didn't see one of my favorite Southernism:
When things are going well, you're "standin' in tall cotton."

MDH and I just moved to TN from FL in March so I don't yet consider myself a true southern woman. But my parents are from TN and VA so I'm hoping my southern roots will eventually take hold. And before I forget, thanks for the welcome Judy. How on earth did you know I finally subscribed yesterday?

Carol
http://www.justfurkids.com/TNmove.html

Thumbnail by justfurkids
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tgif
Starkville, MS

August 20, 2006
4:12 PM

Post #2641306

Carol - when did you steal my dog?!!! That is exactly what my GS does anytime she is near the lake! I just never seem to have a camera handy.

Welcome to a wonderful forum.
ginni
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2006
4:22 PM

Post #2641330

Thanks ginni. That pic is of MePesky Miss Maxine. Lately known as "skunk dog". She had a serious run in with a skunk in early July and, despite many baths with skunk deoderizers of all kinds, still has a distinct odor about her when wet. The rascal steals down to the creek that borders our property every chance she gets.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2006
7:18 PM

Post #2641826

Greetings!!!

New Subscribers are listed on the right side of my Home Screen. If they aren't on yours, it's probably one of those personal preference items on the Member screen.

I like the "tall cotton" and sure wish I was in some at the moment.

Judy

This message was edited Aug 20, 2006 4:18 PM
justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2006
9:16 PM

Post #2642094

Carol -- You're dog does an awesome impression of a gator! She is so cute. :-)

This message was edited Aug 20, 2006 4:16 PM
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2006
9:55 PM

Post #2642213

Thanks Deb. She's a big lovable goofball, barkiing her silly head off at the moment as there are 3 floppy eared cotton-tail intruders in the driveway.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2006
10:13 PM

Post #2642263

Fun dog picture, Carol. But I am confused. What is that shiny stuff in the picture? pod
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2006
10:40 PM

Post #2642339

ROFL it's been awhile since I've seen any of that wet stuff. But the heavens may be answering my prayers at this very moment... I just heard thunder!(Black scaredy-cat dog is cowering at my feet.) Koncking on wood but we sure could use a good soaker!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2006
10:43 PM

Post #2642350

Best wishes for rain, it has been too long.

We have been over 100 for a week with incredible humidity. We walked a small flea market this morning and I was scared to "wee wee". Figured I needed to be like a camel and conserve water!
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2006
11:23 PM

Post #2642458

It's thundering here, too, right now! And dark like night. I better sign off, maybe for the night... If that means rain, I hope so!!
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2006
3:10 PM

Post #2644123

We had thunder and lightning all night and not a drop of rain.
The good news is that its overcast so maybe if I mow the rain will come.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2006
3:51 PM

Post #2644278

Bob is in the process of setting up a zoned watering system (I'll let him tell you about it) and I'm sure as soon as he finishes we'll have a gully washer of a rain.

Judy
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2006
5:11 PM

Post #2644508

On a mowing break here.
Go Big Daddy go! I am cheering you on! What a good husband you've got there Judy.

MDH Dennis is not a gardener but he does like gadgets. He installed a zoned irrigation system in FL but now his only concern is the darn sod. I keep telling him NOTHING can kill this grass. Its the perrenial beds and the veggies that need assistance.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2006
8:15 PM

Post #2645095

OK time for the rain to start...

Bob just finished with the last of the 7rotating sprinklers, the kind with spikes to push into the ground, but he put 2 of them in a metal pipe he had pounded into the ground so they would be high enough to water the brugs. If anyone else is going to do this the Gilmore Rotating sprinkler is the best. We only have one of those but they are well worth the money.

Judy

PS I checked Gilmore's website and evidently they don't make the one we have any longer, too bad!!

This message was edited Aug 21, 2006 3:23 PM
joytoy222
Atoka, TN

September 7, 2006
4:04 PM

Post #2700372

Hi All!
I am new to DG. My name is Charlie, I live in Drummonds, TN..I have lotz of kids, animals, and flowers...a hubby...and lest I forget, my brother also lives with us. LOL!
I see by going thru the list, many of you live near me!
I would love to know if there is a flower swap coming up!
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2006
5:41 PM

Post #2700666

Hi joytoy...love that name! Welcome! We'd love to hear about your garden, your critters and even the hubby/brother. lol
Yes the Midsouth PlantSwap is coming up on Sept 23rd in Tupelo MS. (It will be my first and I am soooo looking forward to it!)
Here's the thread
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/623603/
Carol
joytoy222
Atoka, TN

September 7, 2006
6:38 PM

Post #2700804

Howdyyyyyyyyyyy Partners!!
So glad to be here! I have 17 (nope this is not a typo) kids at home. I am an adopting parent of special needs and high risk children. My hubby is a Public Defender for Tipton county. He married me and 21 of my children six yrs ago. We have a goat, named Billie Bob..three dogs, Precious, Lady & Tweety, a cat named *Nacho*, a couple of cockateils, and two horses that are here for foster care..and a 79 year young, Mother's Helper, named Gwanny! She is out best buddy! She is also a gardener! I used to plant just veggies, but for the past two years I have been planting flowers. I belong to a yahoo gardening group...mostly comprised of folks from MI...gets lonely for me when they have a Swap...LOL!
...My screen name is for my daughter Joy, she was my toy...she is now in heaven

FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2006
8:24 PM

Post #2701106

Hi joytoy. Welcome to the Mid-South forum! We've had this forum since about last March, and we've all just jumped in here and become good friends. Please do consider coming to the Round Up in Tupelo! The more the merrier!!!
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2006
10:19 PM

Post #2701444

Wow...you definately get voted MidSouth Mom of the Year...every year in fact! Twenty one - bless year heart!
And DH's too!

Goodness gracious how on earth do you or Gwanny ever find time to garden?

Carol
joytoy222
Atoka, TN

September 8, 2006
1:32 PM

Post #2703028

I pray ...A Lot! LOLLLL!
Actually I am retired Army...I pushed 250 MEN...what's a handful of kids?? I thank the tax payers of the US for their support...and took all the training the Army could dish out..That's what the mlitary can do for young people..LOL!
It is a thing of mind over matter. Gardening is my personal time when I can talk to God..no kid in my house is gonna come out and help...it's too much WORK...LMAO
I want to be able to go to the Swap...I can share what I have and I think we will all be happy! Diggin up a few buddies to go too!!
love and hugzzzzz
the pic is GWANNY, her son, SANTA, and a FEW of my brood

Thumbnail by joytoy222
Click the image for an enlarged view.

justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2006
3:24 PM

Post #2703208

WOW...what a TRIBE! Well you certainly do have a good attitude. Makes perfect sense about your gardening quiet time. Something about being out there with your hands in the earth...or perhaps its because I'm on my knees. lol

My older sister is an ex-army captain. Now she's doing the same job in civil service. BOSSY! But then that may not be "army" that may just be a trait of "older sisters".

Looking forward to meeting you at the swap. We must all remember to wear name tags. Bless you again for all you do for your tribe.
Carol

judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2006
7:46 PM

Post #2703686

joytoy222,

If I was taking care of 17 children, I would be down on my knees talking to the Good Lord a good part of the time.

Bless you for what you do!!!

Judy

This message was edited Sep 8, 2006 2:58 PM
joytoy222
Atoka, TN

September 8, 2006
8:27 PM

Post #2703769

If I didn't laugh...I would be crying!
Bossy is a trait of the Army..and Older Sister's..Ask me...I am an Older sister..LOLOL.
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2006
9:50 PM

Post #2704014

joytoy Charlie, I was thinking about the term retired-army vs ex-army and had to join you in a good laugh. I daresay, Most people wouldn't consider taking care of a house, husband, Gwanny, 17 kids, miscellaneous critters and a garden, RETIRED anything. ROFL If I only had half your energy!

Carol
joytoy222
Atoka, TN

September 9, 2006
12:37 AM

Post #2704319

What's life without a litte pizazzz?? LOL
Lord knows, I never ever have a dull moment..this week...one of the grown kids flooded downstairs... the bathroom ...the sitting room, doll room, and a bedroom...thankfully it was all clean water!! If I got mad, I would never had gotten done..it was time to re arrange the doll room..and I was planning on shampooing those carpets this week anyway...LOL..
Oh, I was down on my knees, talking to God..a lot..for three days..I reminded Him, I couldn't swim & my name wasn't NOAH!
I just decorate in Primative & Shabby Chic..it's so ME! ROFL!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2006
2:51 AM

Post #2704617

Before hurricane Katrina I didn't actually do it but I could have cussed every time I had to clean house. After hurricane Katrina I was thanking God I had furniture for the dust to land on when so many didn't have anything left. You have to learn to roll with the punches or you get hit in the face.

Praise the Lord,
Jeri
shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2006
3:27 AM

Post #2704769

A Southern woman can say anything about someone as long as she adds, "Bless their Heart," at the end. ie: "He sure does like sleep a lot". bless his heart, or, "She sure is popular with the fellows, bless her heart." lol

corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2006
5:35 PM

Post #2706162

joytoy - it will be nice to meet you at the swap ! Exactly where IS your town? How "fer" up in Tennessee do you live???

We always have lots of plants so come on down and see what we have to share !

Meet and greet your new DG buddies! I just joined in Feb. and feel like an "old" friend now.

Libby
joytoy222
Atoka, TN

September 13, 2006
8:33 PM

Post #2719845

Libby!!
I live about 35 miles north of Memphis.
I have been trying to get ready for the swap!! We are going to have a ball!! Looking forward to meeting each and everyone !!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America