Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mid-South Gardening: Favorite Southern Meal .....

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 110, Views: 470
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2006
5:19 PM

Post #2648204

Those of you on a diet are going to hate this thread but if I'm on a diet, talking about food seems to relieve the pressure.

One of my favorite meal is:

Meatloaf nice and light, made with tomatoes, just solid enough to hold together, NOT packed or dry
Corn On The Cob cooked in the microwave
Crowder Peas seasoned with smoked ham hock or bacon grease
Green Beans seasoned with smoked ham hock or bacon grease, cooked way down
Mashed Potatoes little butter, salt and pepper
Onion Raw Sweet Yellow chunks or sliced
Tomatoes sliced
Tomato Relish for Crowder Peas, homemade, cooked down, slightly sweet, ever so slightly hot
Cornbread with butter
Sweet Ice Tea real light on the sugar

I cook up all of this and we'll eat on it for 3 days or so, then the Bullies get the leftovers.
I'm sure you'll notice there is no dessert. Don't throw a pot at me, I'd rather have another serving of a veggie as to have a dessert. I have this goofy idea that sugar makes my insides quiver.

What's your favorite meal??

justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2006
6:13 PM

Post #2648352

LOL
my message dissappeared.
It simply said:
*sob*

This message was edited Aug 22, 2006 1:18 PM
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2006
6:20 PM

Post #2648378

Judy, you sure are making me hungry!

My favorite would be BBQ Ribs, or BB Pulled Pork (My brother-in-law from huntsville is a master at this)
BBQ Baked Beans
Corn on the Cob
Nanna Puddin

I can cook all of the above but I notice it always tastes best when someone else cooks. Now why is that?

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2006
7:52 PM

Post #2648641

This is a bad thing to read when you're hungry. My favorite Southern meal (or at least it's one of my favorites):

Fried Okra
Crowder peas with plenty of juice to put some on a nice slice of...
Cornbread (home-made) with plenty of butter
Sliced tomatoes
Creamed corn (usually Silver queen but others will do)
Pound cake with fresh strawberries

Meat is totally unnecessary, but that meatloaf Judy describes is getting my attention.

JFK, you are right - it's much better when somebody else cooks it.

justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2006
8:09 PM

Post #2648684

My coworker has a poster on his wall, it says, "I love cats...
they're great with a little salt and pepper!" Does this count in this catagory? :-)

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2006
10:02 PM

Post #2648947

Fried pork chops
Fried potatoes
Pinto beans
Cornbread
Mashed potatoes & gravy
Deviled eggs
Homemade macaroni and cheese
Tomato & cucumber salad

All courtesy of my MIL, whose southern food outranks mine anyday. It's the kind of meal that you eat only once or twice a year because it's guaranteed to instantly clog your arteries while simultaneously raising your blood sugar to life-threatening levels, and you can almost feel the fat cells multiplying as you eat it. But hoo boy! If I keeled over, I'd die happy.
justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2006
10:31 PM

Post #2649019

Okay -- I give. I'm so hungry now, my head is spinning. LOL

rolled tacos with guacamole & jalapenos
Jack in the Box dog food tacos (called this with love)
der Weinershnitzel chili dogs with onions

Yup, now I see why I'm on a diet. ;-)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2006
2:12 AM

Post #2649794

Clogged arteries? Nonsense! All that fried food makes cholesterol slide right on thru...

Okra Fried, dipped in ranch
Okra Stewed with onions and tomatoes
Okra Pickled w/ garlic
Okra Steeped in gumbo, soup, etc.

Have I picked up the flavor of the south?
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2006
2:33 AM

Post #2649879

Gosh Okra does sound good and I eat it all the above ways, plus nuked with a tad of butter, salt and pepper in a plastic wrap covered container!!! yummmmmm

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2006
2:47 AM

Post #2649986

I picked okra (again) today. By tomorrow I should have enough for another four pints of hot pickled okra. I won't heat up the kitchen to process fewer than 4 pints...it's a personal (and quirky) rule of mine.

I ADORE okra. Gumbo, pickled (especially) and stewed. I even like fried okra now, although I used to gag on it. (Go figure. And yes, it was as an adult that I tried and failed to eat it, even though I could scarf it down in gumbo and even stewed!

DH loves fried okra, and as a young bride I'd fix it for him, but couldn't eat it...now he has to arm-wrestle me for his fair share ;o)
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2006
3:34 AM

Post #2650407

Terry - LOL LOL I'm the same way about the fried okra. I'm the one who stands over the fryer while Bob is steady eating what I've cooked and put on the screen to drain. A few and I wouldn't mind, but he's eating so much that I'm not making any headway. Finally, I just have to say, you can't eat any more until I can!!!
Gourdlady2006
Rienzi, MS
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2006
1:06 PM

Post #2651002

My favorite Southern meal is Fried Catfish, hush puppies (with Jalepeno peppers) and coleslaw.

Linda
tgif
Starkville, MS

August 23, 2006
2:16 PM

Post #2651204

Linda, have you ever done the "match in the oil" to test for the right temp? Kids of *all* ages love to watch it! And while you're frying up that catfish, I'll have a bite or ten, along with some bass and bream if there is any in the pot, and make up another batch of puppy mix, too, 'cause I'm strrving' for a good "fry"!
ginni
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2006
8:46 PM

Post #2652499

HoneyBaked Ham, fruit salad, crowder peas,creamed corn,my mama's cornbread dressing,and pecan pie. In other words - Christmas and Thanksgiving family get-to-gethers. Only my mama's gotta throw in a few more veggies and a couple more desserts. She makes all of this herself,along with homemade rolls, except for the ham of course. She cooks for at least 18 - sometimes more- plus the preacher and a few neighbors ! She is 78 and I keep wondering how long she can keep this up. There is no one in the family that can or WILL do it if something should happen to her. Guess we will have to get a big ole bucket of KFC ! (yuck)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2006
11:55 PM

Post #2652996

tgif, if you don't mind, explain the match in the oil temp test?
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2006
12:14 AM

Post #2653048

I'll tell you one thing... we all know how to eat!!! Why don't we eat like this at the Round Up??? It would be much better than a baloney sandwich!!!

Mmmm. I love:
Fried corn (as in, pick it, shuck it, clean it, cut it from the cob, add butter, salt, a little sugar... let it cook in an iron skillet in the oven. I can't make it very good, but my mom does... what am I gonna do when I don't have her any more!)
Sweet potatoes or candied yams
Okra... boiled, fried...
Fresh sliced tomatoes
Fresh sliced onion (the sweeter the better, but it's always a crap shoot when you cut an onion)
HOT Cornbread with lotsa butter

I can eat this until I have to roll away from the table... MMmmmmmmm, OOoooooo, AAAaaahhhhhhh
tgif
Starkville, MS

August 24, 2006
12:45 AM

Post #2653156

OK - the match test. You need a 'cardboard' type match - like from a matchbook. I don't know if a wooden match would work.

Once you have the oil heating just drop the match into the oil. It will absorb oil until it sinks to the bottom of the pot. When the oil reaches high enough temp ( just happens to be right for fish) the match will light and rise to the top of the oil. Just lift it out, drop in your fish and supper is on the way!

I'm sure lots of people will have much to say about the safety of this little trick, and I'm sure they will be right! I've only seen it done once. There were no dire consequences and it was great fun. Ya'll just use your own judgement about it.
ginni

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2006
1:03 AM

Post #2653218

How fun! pyrotechnics... I'll probably never be guilty of trying it, too easily distracted here...

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2006
2:26 AM

Post #2653536

Oh, oh, oh...I forgot fried apples. Oh mercy...how could I forget the fried apples from my dream menu???

And coleslaw. Especially with smoked brisket, babybacks, or pulled pork BBQ (with a fiery pepper/vinegar sauce, please)...and good baked beans.

Mmmmmmmmmmm.

And then there's breakfast.

Homemade biscuits, sausage gravy (not too thick, not too thin, peppery, but not too much pepper)...grits, fried potatoes (or a hashbrown casserole), and a couple fried eggs for good measure. With lots of hot strong coffee.

Or beignets - but only from Cafe du Monde in Nawleans? (sob...lip quivers...will I ever be able to sit at an outdoor table at my beloved CDM again, and listen to the street musicians play their lazy jazzy melancholy blues?
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2006
2:39 AM

Post #2653578

Terry,

Let us go back to the top of your posting and discuss "fried apples".

Maybe I should not admit that I have never had them, but none the less would be most interested in a detailed explanation, seein' as how I think I have missed out on something GOOD.

Judy

PS Surely we don't dip them and deep fry them, do we... oh that sounds good.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2006 9:41 PM
justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2006
3:12 AM

Post #2653706

fried apples? okra? match test...so many things to try, so little time!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2006
3:19 AM

Post #2653723

Fried apples are easy. Apples, sliced (one of those corer/slicer thingies works pretty good) Peeling is optional (if the peel is fairly thin and tender, leave it on - if the apples are a bit older and the skin is tough, peel them.

Place apples in a heavy skillet with some butter (margarine in a pinch, but butter's better) and some sugar, and a pinch of cinnamon.

A bit of fresh orange rind and/or a squeeze of orange juice if you want (optional)

Heat over medium heat, stirring until butter and sugar have melted. Continue to cook (stirring frequentlly) until apples are soft and butter/sugar have slightly caramelized. Serve immediately. Can be a side dish, especially to pork or poultry, or served over ice cream as a dessert.

Please don't ask me for proportions - I never measure...it just depends on how big of a crowd I'm feeding.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2006
3:24 AM

Post #2653759

Oh this makes me so hungry. All this food is the reason that I am on a diet. Good ole southern cooking.

Have you ever tried raw okra? Just picked off the plant, I like the real small ones. Oh soooo gooood. But I can eat a meal in the garden. The Neighbors garden this year. LOL Okra, fresh raw corn, cukes, tomatoes even the little squash makes a good snack.

Betty
justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2006
3:27 AM

Post #2653775

I wonder if MacDonalds is still open. I need to start a veggie garden...
msfarmergirl
Philadelphia, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2006
12:08 PM

Post #2654330

I had never heard of fried apples until I married my kid's Dad (that's how I ALWAYS refer to him), his Mom was not a great cook but introduced me to fried apples just the way Terry described them. I got hooked! Haven't made them in quite some time - makes me want to...real soon. She also introduced me to apple butter, I'd never heard of it either. That was 32 years ago! They were from VA.
msfarmergirl
Philadelphia, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2006
12:11 PM

Post #2654336

Oops, forgot.
My favorite southern meal is just about any that my Mom cooks but if I had to choose -
Roasted chicken
Dressing (southern style made with cornbread)
Fried okra
Baby butter beans
stewed potatoes (or creamed)
ice tea
then for dessert...banana pudding and a good cup of coffee
Gourdlady2006
Rienzi, MS
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2006
12:44 PM

Post #2654412

Ginni, No, I have never heard of the "match in oil" test, but I can assure you that the next time I have the brothers and nephews over for fried fish I will test it just to "show off" for them. You know brothers and nephews they think they know everything...lol.

I don't believe there is Southern dish that I do not enjoy. Too bad that it is all so fattening. I started eating "healthy" years ago, but don't see much of a difference in the weight thing. lol Arteries are happier, but hips and tummy are just as round as ever. lol

Ya'll have made me so hungry for fried food that I think I may have to fry my squash next time instead of steaming it.
msfarmergirl
Philadelphia, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2006
12:56 PM

Post #2654431

Fried squash --- so so good!
Haven't had anything fried in months. No weight loss here either and beginning to wonder if its worth giving up the stuff I love. Gotta go sometime, right?
BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2006
3:45 PM

Post #2654969

Baked acorn (Hubbard) squash: Halve and scoop out seeds (save). Put on cookie sheet. Sprinkle cracked black pepper. Squich half a stick of butter into each half. Cook 1 hour at 350.

Bake some potatoes and a prime rib roast at the same time.

Serve with sour cream for the potatoes and horse radish for the prime rib.

Good eating Yankee style.

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
Click the image for an enlarged view.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2006
8:56 PM

Post #2655900

Fried apples - yummmmmy! How could we forget those, and it reminded me of another one I forgot about - fried peach pies. Oh I wish I could make them like my mother and aunts made them. That was something. Now it's got me thinking of all that other fried stuff - fried green tomatoes & fried potatoes (I like mine with a bit of onion, salt and a small bit of pepper). And Terry, I agree about the deviled eggs and your breakfast menu too.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2006
10:09 PM

Post #2656109

fried peach pies, homemade of course!!

The only "sweet thing" I can't resist, well unless it's fried apricot pies, or fried apple pies, or any kind of homemade fried pie. lol lol

Judy
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2006
1:50 AM

Post #2656660

BigDaddy, Yankee style? Hmmm. Do you like sauerkraut too. Have you ever tried fried kraut with apples? Horseradish is wonderful too.
Yes to the fried new potatoes, skin on sliced thin, lots of chopped onion and coarse pepper and salt pan fried in BACON grease! Yum, yum.
Never tried fried apples but have seen them in the store canned and wondered how good could canned be...
Fried fish, a good cup of coffee, fried pies ~ man, I am ready to feast!
BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2006
2:46 AM

Post #2656857

Yes, hot dogs with sauerkraut!!! Or chili!
How about hush puppies with corn kernels and jalapeņo bits to go with catfish coated with cornmeal! and homemade tartar sauce...

Has anyone south of Kentucky (just where is the Mason-Dixon line???) tasted Belgian waffles with French vanilla ice cream, strawberries and whipping cream???

Or popovers with butter and grape jelly?

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2006
2:55 AM

Post #2656882

IMHO the best way to prepare corn on the cob is throw the whole ear, husk and all, into the microwave and zap it for a minute. While you are waiting, butter a slice of bread, then when the bell rings, pull the corn husk back and roll the ear on the bread (which coats the corn with lots of melted butter). Fresh cracked black pepper to taste.

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2006
3:03 AM

Post #2656909

My most favorite Southern dish hasn't been mentioned.
Spoon bread.
Spoil any man with a fresh baked bowl of spoon bread with butter and preserves and I just know he'll do anything... Mow the grass... trim the hedges...

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2006
3:06 AM

Post #2656923

Yum. Time to go get my nice yummy melba toast and leaf of lettuce.
LOL
;-)
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2006
3:07 AM

Post #2656928

BigDaddy, you better be careful... You're about to be drafted as the cook for the Round Up!!! Your food sounds too good to miss!!! I love Yankee hot dogs! I had a hot dog today for lunch with deli mustard, onion, and sauerkraut, my favorite ingredients!!
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2006
3:09 AM

Post #2656936

Okay, what's the recipe for spoon bread? Since bread seems to be my very most favorite kind of food, I'm sure I need to try spoon bread!!
justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2006
3:11 AM

Post #2656947

Okay, I'm NOT going to be on my diet come Fall RU. :-)
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2006
3:15 AM

Post #2657015

I'm signing off now for the night. Sweet dreams, everyone.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2006
4:22 AM

Post #2657228

Judy and Big Daddy...I don't have plans for tomorrow. Can I come for Fried Pies? Please...

My grandmother used to make fried pies every day when we went to visit. Thin crust and full of fruit. She would fry them, then stack them to cool. The best treat a person could have.

Dinner at her house was usually chicken and dumplings, turnip greens, mashed potatoes, fried corn, fresh homemade yeast rolls with homemade butter dripping off the top. There was always a big jar of blackberry jelly, honey from the hives in the apple orchard and peach preserves on the table. They always kept a cow and churned their own butter. I still have the churn but now it is a lamp. LOL

Dinner for DH and me tonight was a salad with fat free dressing and a glass of unsweetened tea. Where have I gone wrong??????
BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2006
10:10 AM

Post #2657528

Picabo... Judy makes the best peach fried pies... Yesterday, she made barbeque spaghetti, garlic toast, and sweeet tea for lunch. She's the best! although she has never cooked for two, she always makes enough for a thrashin' crew... so I just ate and ate all afternoon. For late supper, I went on the cheap: Stoned wheat crackers, Romanoff caviar (50 cents a jar), lime juice and a glass of Crane Lake Chardonnay ($4.99 a bottle).

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2006
1:22 PM

Post #2657792

Flowrlady I make a "cheater's" cornbread pudding which is similar to spoonbread ;o)

1 package of frozen cream corn, thawed (you know the ones that look like a roll of sausage?)
1 package jiffy cornbread mix
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs
2 tablespoons melted butter.

Mix it up, throw it in a greased pan, and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean (but don't overbake - you want it "just set", not dry.) Mmmmmmm.
BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2006
5:11 PM

Post #2658401

This is what I can remember from a Virginia recipe for Spoon Bread:
a cup of yellow cornmeal and about a quarter cup of grits; two and a half cups of water; half a stick of butter (real butter); a cup of half and half; and three or four eggs.

Preheat the oven to 375 while you make the "dough"...

Bring the water to a boil and cut the heat down and stir in the cornmeal and grits-- keep stirring til it's thick and then take it off the heat and stir in the butter and half and half (I add white pepper) and the egg yolks (just the yolks). Here's the secret: Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and fold into the cornmeal mixture. Dump it into a buttered souffle pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the edges brown and the middle sets.

It's ready to serve with butter and preserves like raspberry or cherry or 'lasses.
You'll never forget your first spoon bread...
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2006
8:12 PM

Post #2658983

These recipes sound so good! I've copied them into my recipe file.
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2006
9:24 PM

Post #2659226

i started the southern cooking when 2nd hus. from s.c. 3rd last from Georgia.. i love all but greans collards .. i made him a cornbread with J. peppers in, corn , onions. my own version he hates a sweet corn bread so was from scratch to. hope Judy is well.. i know she has to be the very best cook..
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2006
2:49 PM

Post #2661179

Big Daddy sounds like things I love.

I have never had Spoon Bread. I know, I should slap my Southern Mouth.
edenawaitsme
Augusta, AR
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2006
3:04 AM

Post #2663430

How bout this:
hamburger steak n onion gravy
creamed potatoes w/ lots of butter n sour cream
peaches n cream corn on the cob dripping w/ butter
homemade yeast rolls or a good hunk of homemade sourdough
blackberry cobbler for dessert w/ vanilla ice cream if u like

or grilled polish sausage w/ grilled peppers n onions on a bun w/ a little mustard

or baked cornish hens/chicken with garlic, pepper, season salt w/ extra water for extra juicy broth to pour over a huge heaping of steamy rice

Can you tell I love to eat =).

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2006
3:22 AM

Post #2663514

That all sounds good. Especially the blackberry Cobbler.

What about some Frogmore Stew? Served on the picnic table covered with newspapers.
justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2006
3:23 AM

Post #2663518

Can I come to some of your homes, like, perhaps, around supper time? LOL
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2006
3:25 AM

Post #2663527

Betty,

You are for sure talkin' weird!! Explain yourself.

Judy
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2006
3:29 AM

Post #2663544

Would love to have you...Only problem is I'm just dreaming, DH and I are on a diet. LOL I gain pounds just reading this thread. ROTFL
grilled chicken and asparagus for dinner here.
justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2006
3:32 AM

Post #2663558

I understand Betty. I decided to splurge and have something off of my diet the other day. While DH said grace, I noticed that he slipped a little extra clause in the prayer, asking that it not go to my thighs and upset me...LOL
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2006
3:37 AM

Post #2663573

FROGMORE STEW

MAKES 12 SERVINGS

5 quarts water
2 cans beer (OK one more for the cook)
1/4 cup Old Bay Seasoning
4 pounds small red potatoes
2 pounds kielbasa or hot smoked link sausage, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
6 ears fresh corn, halved
4 pounds unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
Cocktail sauce

BRING 5 quarts water and 1/4 cup Old Bay Seasoning to a rolling boil in a large covered stockpot.

ADD potatoes; return to a boil, and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes.

ADD sausage and corn, and return to a boil. Cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

ADD shrimp to stockpot; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.

DRAIN and Pile everything onto the center of your picnic table which you have covered with newspapers. When you finish you can just roll the tablecloth up and throw anything that might be leftover away. Serve with sourdough bread and cocktail sauce.
justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2006
5:46 AM

Post #2663810

????
Where are the frogs?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2006
11:44 AM

Post #2664049

Ahhhh, we call that a low-country boil. And it's yummy. We use our turkey fryer (yes we have one) for those.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2006
11:50 AM

Post #2664057

This is for the days you can't catch any frogs. LOL
I did know why it's called Frogmore stew. The recipe comes from South Carolina maybe the area?
I use the turkey fryer too.
msfarmergirl
Philadelphia, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2006
12:23 PM

Post #2664089

Edenawaitsme...tell me what time to be there! All of that sounds SO good! I've given up on diet! Doc says unless I can do cardio exercise its not doing me any good anyway. Hey, if I'm gonna go - I'd like to go happy (even if it is Fat!)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2006
12:35 PM

Post #2664114

Jusdeb, suppertime may be late... Do you notice when all the yummy posts start? There's a message in there somewhere.
A friend and wife are on a diet. He said he broke down and was scooping Bluebell vanilla to make a float. His wife came by and with bare fingers grabbed one clump of ice cream and went to devouring it. Talk about food deprivation!
justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2006
7:24 PM

Post #2665207

ROFLOL
My office is adjacent to the student lounge. I've taken to throwing things at them when they make popcorn or other yummy things from home in the microwave. LOL
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2006
7:37 PM

Post #2665244

Oh boy, the smell of popcorn would drive you mad!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2006
7:54 PM

Post #2665289

Isn't there a popcorn diet!!??
msfarmergirl
Philadelphia, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2006
9:38 PM

Post #2665633

Judy, you've got D-mail!
Deb

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

August 29, 2006
2:24 PM

Post #2671300

I did not see anyone mention, hot biscuits and tomato gravy, mashed potatoes floating in butter, purple hull peas of course you gotta have the fired okra with this meal.
Love that tomato gravy on a hot biscuit in the summer when the tomatoes are fresh.
Sandra
fsrstarr
Norwood, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2006
5:11 PM

Post #2671911

Y'all are makin' my tummy homesick...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2006
1:19 AM

Post #2673342

Tomato gravy? How do you...
justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2006
1:35 AM

Post #2673388

Ohhh, okay, now you got me. Biscuits and gravy.
Where's my melba toast? ;-)
BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2006
2:49 AM

Post #2673615

For lunch today, I had one of my most favorite desserts: Bread Pudding!
Judy uses stale raisen bread as a base and tops it off with praline syrup or JD frosting...
A couple of years ago we spent three days driving from Memphis to NOLA stopping at old plantations to breakfast and lunch. We found one bread pudding that was out of the world and asked for their recipe (which they gave us!) That is the basis of Judy's bestest bread pudding.

The nice thing about it is there are no calories!

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2006
3:38 AM

Post #2673813

OK you folks have got to share... Judy... are you going to tell us how to make your "Calorie free" bread pudding???

slcdms...Tell us more about Tomato gravy.

While I am waiting for you I will be sitting here joining Deb and having some Melba toast.
justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2006
4:12 AM

Post #2674187

LOL
no, don't do it! I've been tortured enough for all of us (and everyone on weight watchers in the great state of Alabama).
I can share my recipe for cookie dough...but it's just that. Cookie dough. Never makes it past that point...
;-)
fsrstarr
Norwood, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2006
3:15 PM

Post #2675121

Oh Yes! Now you must all share the recipes... :))
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2006
3:42 PM

Post #2675217

I too am waiting for that recipe! Come on, Judy! Share it with us please.
jozeeben
Acton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2006
5:49 PM

Post #2675631

That sounds like the pud'num I used to get at the local plate lunch restaurant but the frosting had cinamon (cin'um) in it, yum. We've been in the south since 1994 and my wife still hasn't had a plate lunch. I love the choice of two "vegetables" that usually lists things like mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, rice & gravy, french fries, etc. That's kind of like counting catsup as a vegetable! I count them as simple starches . . . not recommended for low carb calorie counters, Eh, Deb? I've run off 30 lbs in the last year and have to give up beer and other simple carbs. I still eat dark chocolate, though.

Changing the topic from the evil bread pud'num, I need to understand the South's continued fascination with balogna (baloney) on white bread. I gave that up in the 70's. Nutritionally void & bland to the palate? Why do people still eat that? I had a wild grilled salmon salad salad sandwhich on a whole wheat bagel with Vermont white cheddar for lunch. But I'm not from 'round here and I'm not in a hurry to meet my maker.

Judy / Big D. -- Have you tried the wasabi peanuts & wasabi fried green peas at Ada's Unusaul Country Store in Bethel Springs / Amish Bakery? It's funny to feed them to people at work that aren't too familiar with horseradish especially the hot green Japanese horseradish they serve with Sushi. Ada's is where my DW buys my 50lb bag of rolled oats for breakfast. LOL. Joe
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2006
6:35 PM

Post #2675758

Look what trouble Bob has gotten me into... I no longer use a recipe but finally found one I had posted on my website several years ago.

When I substitute raisin bread for the french bread I don't put in the extra raisins, but seems I have to have a little more than one loaf.

I normally make bread pudding when the bread outlet store has a "special sale" on the french or raisin bread. I like toasted raisin bread for breakfast so I get 2-3 loaves at one time.

If you use fresh bread, it's too soggy and doesn't cook up with the right texture.

Royal Bread Pudding
Enough mix for two - surprise a friend!!!

1 Quart Half N' Half Cream
3 Eggs, beaten
2 Cups Sugar
3/4 Cup Golden Raisins

1/2 Stick Real Butter

1 16 oz Can Fried Apples (The brand named "Lucky" is good)
1 Large Loaf Stale French Bread, torn into small pieces in a very large mixing bowl

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Stir together the first 4 ingredients, pour over bread.

Let soak until all bread is limp.

Add Fried Apples by pouring on top, then take a knife and just run through them several times to make smaller pieces, maxi easy to cut.

Melt the 1/2 Butter via microwave in 2 medium size casserole dishes.

Pour mixture into casserole dishes, dot tops with remaining butter and pop into the oven until very firm. Then turn on the broiler for a few minutes to brown the top a little, watch carefully.

We like to eat it while it is still warm.

Jack Daniel's Sauce

1 cup Unsalted Butter
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice (from a bottle is OK)
1 1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Jack Daniels Whiskey (Optional)
2 large Eggs, beaten lightly

Directions:

Melt butter, sugar and lemon juice over moderate heat, stirring constantly until bubbly to desolve sugar. Remove pan from heat to cool slightly. Then stir in eggs, QUICK QUICK or they will lump. (You could do it the slow method by adding a little of the mixture to the eggs before you toss them into the pot.) Stir sauce over low heat for a few seconds until thickened slightly.

Makes 3 cups

(I think I'll go try mixing all ingredients in a pot and then cook it. It will either be real quick or Yuck)

I don't eat sweets as a general rule so I'll make the above sauce without the Jack Daniels, I'll use it on my one serving of bread pudding, then I add the JD in the remaining sauce for Bob.

I don't like liquor or wine in my food but there are many people who do, therefore here is a link to the Jack Daniel's Recipe website http://www.jackdaniels.com/tennesseetable/recipe_index.htm

Enjoy,

Judy

This message was edited Aug 30, 2006 3:53 PM
justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2006
6:54 PM

Post #2675818

What do you do with any left over Jack Daniels? I hate to waste anything. ;-)
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2006
6:55 PM

Post #2675822

Joe,

I've only stopped in at Ade's once and that was several years ago. I believe it has changed hands since then. I'll have to stop in the next time we're going to Jackson, TN. Normally we go south to take care of business or to play.

Don't tell me you haven't gone to the New China Buffet in Corinth, MS?? I love that place. It is the only restaurant that I really enjoy and so uptown for this area. Sushi, oysters on a half shell, shrimp cooked every way in the world .. just to name some of the things I like. It was so funny I saw all these little kids and real country people who I couldn't believe were eating suchi. I was beside a lady loading her plate down. I said my husband loves this raw fish just to get her reaction. She said it's not raw, it's been cooked. lol lol

Judy
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2006
6:57 PM

Post #2675826

Deb, we sent it to Corgimom just in case she gets stung by wasps again. lol lol

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

August 30, 2006
7:12 PM

Post #2675870

I just make regular gravy, shortening, flour, salt and pepper, then add tomatoes for the liquid, either fresh that are diced up or canned, then you can add as much milk as you need for the rest of the thinner to get it the way you like to eat gravy. I like it kinds thick.
I make pot roast with tomato gravy also, I simmer the roast on top of the stove until it is tender, then add the potatoes and carrots and make a tomato gravy to pour on top of it all then let it cook in the oven until the veggies are tender. It is the only way my bunch wants the roast cooked and it takes a while but is worth the effort.
Since you did not know about tomato gravy do any of you make choclate gravy for breakfast???
Sandra
Sandra
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2006
7:53 PM

Post #2675974

Nope

The only gravy I ever fix is your basic sausage gravy, bacon drippings gravy, red eye or from pot roast drippings.

Judy
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2006
8:31 PM

Post #2676094

Sandra, yeah, my mom makes chocolate gravy... for my sister. She used to make it for her when she was young. I had already left home so didn't 'acquire' a taste for it. I've tried to stay away from it... :)
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2006
9:08 PM

Post #2676199

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/645327/ look at these wonderful "Impossible" recipes.

Gosh all this talk about food made me hungry so I ate a baked potato, with nothing on it, how sick is that!!

Judy
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2006
1:42 AM

Post #2676929

Tell us about the chocolate gravy. If we are going to ruin our diet with Judy's bread pudding we might as well have some Chocolate Gravy. LOL

Betty
msfarmergirl
Philadelphia, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2006
11:28 AM

Post #2677799

Made the "impossible cheeseburger pie" for DH last night! I had been trying to come up with something quick and easy to make him for supper (with what little I had in the fridge and pantry) and low and behold I sign in to DG and get what I need!
He liked it ok. Said to make it without onions next time...I told ya'll he is picky! Must have been ok...he ate almost the whole thing.
Thanks once again for the good links.
Deb
tgif
Starkville, MS

August 31, 2006
11:36 AM

Post #2677810

Deb - My Dad always said "less onions" too. Mom discovered that if she chopped them real fine, so he couldn't actually see the pieces, he ate without a word. We figured out it wasn't the flavor, just the soft texture, that he didn't care for. My sister and I always did the same thing for any meals we fixed for him.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2006
11:41 AM

Post #2677821

Mornin' Deb!

Bob would have been saying a little salsa might be interesting. lol lol

I have a friend who will not eat onion, if he can see it, but if it's cut so fine enough so he can't see it, he gobbles it down. Whenever there is a potluck event he'll remind everyone, cut the onion fine. lol lol

Hope you all have a GREAT day.

Judy
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2006
11:42 AM

Post #2677822

tgif, we posted at the same time and with the same info. lol lol
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2006
11:45 AM

Post #2677831

Less Onion! That is sacrilegious...
msfarmergirl
Philadelphia, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2006
11:55 AM

Post #2677844

I thought I had chopped them fine enough and saute'd them enough that he wouldn't notice...the stinker found 1 piece that was a little chunky...he still ate it...I think he would enjoy some tomatoes in it as well. Good recipe for a quick meal. Sometimes, I use onion powder for the flavor without the texture but every now and again I get selfish and add the onions because I like them. ...do the same thing with garlic!

I agree podster. I like spicey - but my aging stomach and DH just can't handle it. Every now and then, I take my Nexium and plunge in just for old times sake.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2006
12:16 PM

Post #2677892

Deb, if ever you come here for dinner, be sure to remind me!! Everything I cook is full of onion, garlic, hot pepper and LOADS of other spices. I make my own BBQ dry rub, pork seasonings, etc. I wouldn't know how to cook a non-spicy meal. I even put red pepper flakes in my cooked cabbage.

Judy
msfarmergirl
Philadelphia, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2006
12:21 PM

Post #2677898

Hey, he's a grown man...I tell him when we go somewhere - eat it or pass on it but let everyone else enjoy! I tell you, the man's mamma ruined him on good food...its sad..I can't even cook like I want to. He really IS learning, I just have to take it one meal at a time and introduce things that I know he will like if he just tries it. I just love food (and keep the Nexium and Prilosec handy)
Everything you mentioned sounds SO good and I just realized I haven't had my morning coffee or cereal yet! See ya'll later - my tummy is growling!
justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2006
3:22 PM

Post #2678366

LOL
I love the flavor of onions, but hate the texture of them cooked. I'll get onion rings and eat the casings, just leave a bunch of sorry looking onions behind.

Your cheeseburger pie reminded me, I do make a killer stuffed meatloaf (well, used to) and now I'm hungry for that, as well as my jalapeno ranch bean dip.

Salsa goes on everything, ifin it's hot enough. Of course, very rare to find it hot enough. ;-)
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2006
3:47 PM

Post #2678433

I made Bob some salsa last year that I named "fire". I wouldn't even taste it to see if it was seasoned right. Too hot for me, but he ate 6 pints of it.
speckledpig
Satsuma, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2006
6:50 PM

Post #2678904

Anything as long as fried okra is on the plate.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2006
6:51 PM

Post #2678906

AMEN speckledpig

Judy
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2006
7:13 PM

Post #2678953

Mine is anything as long as there is onion and cornbread on the plate ;L)
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2006
8:07 PM

Post #2679069

What's for supper...

baked potatoes
cornbread
navy beans with mega ham scraps, a cup of salsa & heavily seasoned.

A deep red tomato relish & fresh sweet onion for the beans
butter, sour cream, salt and pepper for the potatoes.
butter for the cornbread

A big pot of beans cooking for hours on the stove, produces an aroma which sends a message to my soul, that everything is all is right in my world, if only for a little while.

(FYI If you pour off dry bean soaking water it will substantially reduce gas production, which is the reason many people won't eat beans.)

tgif
Starkville, MS

August 31, 2006
11:08 PM

Post #2679555

Pour that water on a plant or two - hopefully they won't suffer from gas, but just to be on the safe side you might try an outside plant first!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2006
11:13 PM

Post #2679570

lol lol lol

Judy
justdeb
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2006
12:38 AM

Post #2679811

with the price of gas these days, I'd imagine most of us welcome an alternate source...
;-)
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2006
2:32 AM

Post #2680191

Hey, don't forget to fry up a plate of fried green 'maters to go with those beansl
leelovespigs
Talbot
Australia

September 1, 2006
11:24 AM

Post #2681068

Thanks everyone!!! I was going really well with my diet 'til I started reading this thread - GOODBYE Diet - I've just got the biggest craving for Pancakes with maple syrup, ice cream and whipped cream - not forgetting the Jack Daniels (don't want to be accused of wasting)!!!! LOL :-) Lee

This message was edited Sep 3, 2006 8:37 PM
BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2006
6:11 PM

Post #2682115

Hey, Lee: How about deep fried apple fritters sprinkled with powered sugar and a Fosters?
Bob

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

September 1, 2006
11:43 PM

Post #2683094

We had white beans and cornbread tonight, luxury dining on a Friday night.
Sandra
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2006
11:58 PM

Post #2683135

MMmmmm, Sandra, that would be perfect, just PERFECT!! with some onion and a glass of milk :)
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2006
12:23 AM

Post #2683205

http://www.mtnlaurel.com/recipes/old_fashioned_cat_head_biscuits.htm
Old Fashioned Cat Head Biscuits Recipe
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2006
12:26 AM

Post #2683222

Best Cake Ever!!!

Three-Day Coconut Cake
1 package Butter Cake Mix
1 3/4 cups sugar
16 oz sour cream
12 oz flaked coconut
9 ox frozen whipped topping, defrosted

Prepare cake mix according to package directions, making two 8 or 9 inch layers. When layers are completely cool, split in half. While cake is cooling, combine sugar sour cream and coconut, blending well, chill

Before putting together the cake, reserve 1 cup of the sour cream mixture. Spread the remainder between layers of cake, making a layer cake four stacks high. Combine reserved sour cream mixture with whipped topping, blending until smooth. Spread on top and sides of cake.

Seal cake in an airtight container and refrigerate for three days before serving. This will keep many days longer, if it has a chance.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2006
4:03 AM

Post #2683893

You have got to make that a glass of buttermilk with the white beans and cornbread.

Judy... The cake sounds gooood. Reminds me of one my aunt used to make.
msfarmergirl
Philadelphia, MS
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2006
4:11 PM

Post #2684803

Hey folks,...at my son's and he was trying to find a recipe for chocolate gravy this AM. Told him I'd never heard of it until you guys and so would somebody tell us how to make it please???? He, DIL, and DH cooked a large b'fast this morn. DH grilled last night. Looks like its a EATING vacation but, then, aren't all Southern vacations with family a reason to eat unreasonably!?
I'll check back later for recipe. Going to be a busy time. Hope you all have a wonderful holiday weekend!
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2006
7:17 PM

Post #2685229

* Exported from MasterCook *

CHOCOLATE GRAVY

3 tb Cocoa
1 c Sugar
2 tb Flour
2 c Milk
2 tb Butter
2 ts Vanilla Extract

Mix the cocoa, sugar, and flour together. Add the milk, making sure it mixes smoothly. Heat (medium) and stir constantly until it thickens, about 8 minutes. Take off of heat. Add butter. Stir until it is melted and mixed. Add vanilla and stir until mixed.

Serve hot over buttered biscuits. Buttered toast will do in a pinch.

Notes: This is an almost lost Ozark classic. It hardly ever shows up in ethnic or regional cookbooks.

If this cools, it becomes something else: chocolate pudding!

Chocolate gravy is a great way to make sure your kids get their minimum daily requirement of sugar!

Let us know how it worked! (Enjoy your time there!)

Pat
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2006
2:17 AM

Post #2688979

That sounds so much like what my MiL called cold bread pudding. She would make a chocolate sauce and pour over leftover, cold, crumbled biscuits. Often top with meringue and lightly toast. It was so yummy, she is gone and so is her recipe. I tried, but could never duplicate what she made.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2006
2:24 AM

Post #2689002

My grandmother (who died in 1957) used to take the "leftover" breakfast biscuits, put butter and sugar on them, and put them in her wood stove oven until the butter melted... It's really hard to duplicate a wood burning stove these days... That's one of my special memories.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America