Favorite Southern Meal .....

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Those of you on a diet are going to hate this thread but if I'm on a diet, talking about food seems to relieve the pressure.

One of my favorite meal is:

Meatloaf nice and light, made with tomatoes, just solid enough to hold together, NOT packed or dry
Corn On The Cob cooked in the microwave
Crowder Peas seasoned with smoked ham hock or bacon grease
Green Beans seasoned with smoked ham hock or bacon grease, cooked way down
Mashed Potatoes little butter, salt and pepper
Onion Raw Sweet Yellow chunks or sliced
Tomatoes sliced
Tomato Relish for Crowder Peas, homemade, cooked down, slightly sweet, ever so slightly hot
Cornbread with butter
Sweet Ice Tea real light on the sugar

I cook up all of this and we'll eat on it for 3 days or so, then the Bullies get the leftovers.
I'm sure you'll notice there is no dessert. Don't throw a pot at me, I'd rather have another serving of a veggie as to have a dessert. I have this goofy idea that sugar makes my insides quiver.

What's your favorite meal??

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

LOL
my message dissappeared.
It simply said:
*sob*

This message was edited Aug 22, 2006 1:18 PM

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Judy, you sure are making me hungry!

My favorite would be BBQ Ribs, or BB Pulled Pork (My brother-in-law from huntsville is a master at this)
BBQ Baked Beans
Corn on the Cob
Nanna Puddin

I can cook all of the above but I notice it always tastes best when someone else cooks. Now why is that?

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

This is a bad thing to read when you're hungry. My favorite Southern meal (or at least it's one of my favorites):

Fried Okra
Crowder peas with plenty of juice to put some on a nice slice of...
Cornbread (home-made) with plenty of butter
Sliced tomatoes
Creamed corn (usually Silver queen but others will do)
Pound cake with fresh strawberries

Meat is totally unnecessary, but that meatloaf Judy describes is getting my attention.

JFK, you are right - it's much better when somebody else cooks it.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

My coworker has a poster on his wall, it says, "I love cats....
they're great with a little salt and pepper!" Does this count in this catagory? :-)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Fried pork chops
Fried potatoes
Pinto beans
Cornbread
Mashed potatoes & gravy
Deviled eggs
Homemade macaroni and cheese
Tomato & cucumber salad

All courtesy of my MIL, whose southern food outranks mine anyday. It's the kind of meal that you eat only once or twice a year because it's guaranteed to instantly clog your arteries while simultaneously raising your blood sugar to life-threatening levels, and you can almost feel the fat cells multiplying as you eat it. But hoo boy! If I keeled over, I'd die happy.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Okay -- I give. I'm so hungry now, my head is spinning. LOL

rolled tacos with guacamole & jalapenos
Jack in the Box dog food tacos (called this with love)
der Weinershnitzel chili dogs with onions

Yup, now I see why I'm on a diet. ;-)

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Clogged arteries? Nonsense! All that fried food makes cholesterol slide right on thru...

Okra Fried, dipped in ranch
Okra Stewed with onions and tomatoes
Okra Pickled w/ garlic
Okra Steeped in gumbo, soup, etc.

Have I picked up the flavor of the south?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Gosh Okra does sound good and I eat it all the above ways, plus nuked with a tad of butter, salt and pepper in a plastic wrap covered container!!! yummmmmm

I picked okra (again) today. By tomorrow I should have enough for another four pints of hot pickled okra. I won't heat up the kitchen to process fewer than 4 pints....it's a personal (and quirky) rule of mine.

I ADORE okra. Gumbo, pickled (especially) and stewed. I even like fried okra now, although I used to gag on it. (Go figure. And yes, it was as an adult that I tried and failed to eat it, even though I could scarf it down in gumbo and even stewed!

DH loves fried okra, and as a young bride I'd fix it for him, but couldn't eat it...now he has to arm-wrestle me for his fair share ;o)

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Terry - LOL LOL I'm the same way about the fried okra. I'm the one who stands over the fryer while Bob is steady eating what I've cooked and put on the screen to drain. A few and I wouldn't mind, but he's eating so much that I'm not making any headway. Finally, I just have to say, you can't eat any more until I can!!!

Rienzi, MS(Zone 7a)

My favorite Southern meal is Fried Catfish, hush puppies (with Jalepeno peppers) and coleslaw.

Linda

Starkville, MS

Linda, have you ever done the "match in the oil" to test for the right temp? Kids of *all* ages love to watch it! And while you're frying up that catfish, I'll have a bite or ten, along with some bass and bream if there is any in the pot, and make up another batch of puppy mix, too, 'cause I'm strrving' for a good "fry"!
ginni

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

HoneyBaked Ham, fruit salad, crowder peas,creamed corn,my mama's cornbread dressing,and pecan pie. In other words - Christmas and Thanksgiving family get-to-gethers. Only my mama's gotta throw in a few more veggies and a couple more desserts. She makes all of this herself,along with homemade rolls, except for the ham of course. She cooks for at least 18 - sometimes more- plus the preacher and a few neighbors ! She is 78 and I keep wondering how long she can keep this up. There is no one in the family that can or WILL do it if something should happen to her. Guess we will have to get a big ole bucket of KFC ! (yuck)

tgif, if you don't mind, explain the match in the oil temp test?

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I'll tell you one thing... we all know how to eat!!! Why don't we eat like this at the Round Up??? It would be much better than a baloney sandwich!!!

Mmmm. I love:
Fried corn (as in, pick it, shuck it, clean it, cut it from the cob, add butter, salt, a little sugar... let it cook in an iron skillet in the oven. I can't make it very good, but my mom does... what am I gonna do when I don't have her any more!)
Sweet potatoes or candied yams
Okra... boiled, fried...
Fresh sliced tomatoes
Fresh sliced onion (the sweeter the better, but it's always a crap shoot when you cut an onion)
HOT Cornbread with lotsa butter

I can eat this until I have to roll away from the table... MMmmmmmmm, OOoooooo, AAAaaahhhhhhh

Starkville, MS

OK - the match test. You need a 'cardboard' type match - like from a matchbook. I don't know if a wooden match would work.

Once you have the oil heating just drop the match into the oil. It will absorb oil until it sinks to the bottom of the pot. When the oil reaches high enough temp ( just happens to be right for fish) the match will light and rise to the top of the oil. Just lift it out, drop in your fish and supper is on the way!

I'm sure lots of people will have much to say about the safety of this little trick, and I'm sure they will be right! I've only seen it done once. There were no dire consequences and it was great fun. Ya'll just use your own judgement about it.
ginni

How fun! pyrotechnics... I'll probably never be guilty of trying it, too easily distracted here...

Oh, oh, oh...I forgot fried apples. Oh mercy....how could I forget the fried apples from my dream menu???

And coleslaw. Especially with smoked brisket, babybacks, or pulled pork BBQ (with a fiery pepper/vinegar sauce, please).....and good baked beans.

Mmmmmmmmmmm.

And then there's breakfast.

Homemade biscuits, sausage gravy (not too thick, not too thin, peppery, but not too much pepper)...grits, fried potatoes (or a hashbrown casserole), and a couple fried eggs for good measure. With lots of hot strong coffee.

Or beignets - but only from Cafe du Monde in Nawleans? (sob...lip quivers....will I ever be able to sit at an outdoor table at my beloved CDM again, and listen to the street musicians play their lazy jazzy melancholy blues?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Terry,

Let us go back to the top of your posting and discuss "fried apples".

Maybe I should not admit that I have never had them, but none the less would be most interested in a detailed explanation, seein' as how I think I have missed out on something GOOD.

Judy

PS Surely we don't dip them and deep fry them, do we... oh that sounds good.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2006 9:41 PM

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

fried apples? okra? match test....so many things to try, so little time!

Fried apples are easy. Apples, sliced (one of those corer/slicer thingies works pretty good) Peeling is optional (if the peel is fairly thin and tender, leave it on - if the apples are a bit older and the skin is tough, peel them.

Place apples in a heavy skillet with some butter (margarine in a pinch, but butter's better) and some sugar, and a pinch of cinnamon.

A bit of fresh orange rind and/or a squeeze of orange juice if you want (optional)

Heat over medium heat, stirring until butter and sugar have melted. Continue to cook (stirring frequentlly) until apples are soft and butter/sugar have slightly caramelized. Serve immediately. Can be a side dish, especially to pork or poultry, or served over ice cream as a dessert.

Please don't ask me for proportions - I never measure...it just depends on how big of a crowd I'm feeding.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh this makes me so hungry. All this food is the reason that I am on a diet. Good ole southern cooking.

Have you ever tried raw okra? Just picked off the plant, I like the real small ones. Oh soooo gooood. But I can eat a meal in the garden. The Neighbors garden this year. LOL Okra, fresh raw corn, cukes, tomatoes even the little squash makes a good snack.

Betty

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I wonder if MacDonalds is still open. I need to start a veggie garden...

Philadelphia, MS(Zone 7b)

I had never heard of fried apples until I married my kid's Dad (that's how I ALWAYS refer to him), his Mom was not a great cook but introduced me to fried apples just the way Terry described them. I got hooked! Haven't made them in quite some time - makes me want to...real soon. She also introduced me to apple butter, I'd never heard of it either. That was 32 years ago! They were from VA.

Oops, forgot.
My favorite southern meal is just about any that my Mom cooks but if I had to choose -
Roasted chicken
Dressing (southern style made with cornbread)
Fried okra
Baby butter beans
stewed potatoes (or creamed)
ice tea
then for dessert...banana pudding and a good cup of coffee

Rienzi, MS(Zone 7a)

Ginni, No, I have never heard of the "match in oil" test, but I can assure you that the next time I have the brothers and nephews over for fried fish I will test it just to "show off" for them. You know brothers and nephews they think they know everything...lol.

I don't believe there is Southern dish that I do not enjoy. Too bad that it is all so fattening. I started eating "healthy" years ago, but don't see much of a difference in the weight thing. lol Arteries are happier, but hips and tummy are just as round as ever. lol

Ya'll have made me so hungry for fried food that I think I may have to fry my squash next time instead of steaming it.

Fried squash --- so so good!
Haven't had anything fried in months. No weight loss here either and beginning to wonder if its worth giving up the stuff I love. Gotta go sometime, right?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Baked acorn (Hubbard) squash: Halve and scoop out seeds (save). Put on cookie sheet. Sprinkle cracked black pepper. Squich half a stick of butter into each half. Cook 1 hour at 350.

Bake some potatoes and a prime rib roast at the same time.

Serve with sour cream for the potatoes and horse radish for the prime rib.

Good eating Yankee style.

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Fried apples - yummmmmy! How could we forget those, and it reminded me of another one I forgot about - fried peach pies. Oh I wish I could make them like my mother and aunts made them. That was something. Now it's got me thinking of all that other fried stuff - fried green tomatoes & fried potatoes (I like mine with a bit of onion, salt and a small bit of pepper). And Terry, I agree about the deviled eggs and your breakfast menu too.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

fried peach pies, homemade of course!!

The only "sweet thing" I can't resist, well unless it's fried apricot pies, or fried apple pies, or any kind of homemade fried pie. lol lol

Judy

BigDaddy, Yankee style? Hmmm. Do you like sauerkraut too. Have you ever tried fried kraut with apples? Horseradish is wonderful too.
Yes to the fried new potatoes, skin on sliced thin, lots of chopped onion and coarse pepper and salt pan fried in BACON grease! Yum, yum.
Never tried fried apples but have seen them in the store canned and wondered how good could canned be...
Fried fish, a good cup of coffee, fried pies ~ man, I am ready to feast!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Yes, hot dogs with sauerkraut!!! Or chili!
How about hush puppies with corn kernels and jalapeņo bits to go with catfish coated with cornmeal! and homemade tartar sauce...

Has anyone south of Kentucky (just where is the Mason-Dixon line???) tasted Belgian waffles with French vanilla ice cream, strawberries and whipping cream???

Or popovers with butter and grape jelly?

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

IMHO the best way to prepare corn on the cob is throw the whole ear, husk and all, into the microwave and zap it for a minute. While you are waiting, butter a slice of bread, then when the bell rings, pull the corn husk back and roll the ear on the bread (which coats the corn with lots of melted butter). Fresh cracked black pepper to taste.

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

My most favorite Southern dish hasn't been mentioned.
Spoon bread.
Spoil any man with a fresh baked bowl of spoon bread with butter and preserves and I just know he'll do anything... Mow the grass... trim the hedges...

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Yum. Time to go get my nice yummy melba toast and leaf of lettuce.
LOL
;-)

BigDaddy, you better be careful... You're about to be drafted as the cook for the Round Up!!! Your food sounds too good to miss!!! I love Yankee hot dogs! I had a hot dog today for lunch with deli mustard, onion, and sauerkraut, my favorite ingredients!!

Okay, what's the recipe for spoon bread? Since bread seems to be my very most favorite kind of food, I'm sure I need to try spoon bread!!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Okay, I'm NOT going to be on my diet come Fall RU. :-)

I'm signing off now for the night. Sweet dreams, everyone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.