Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Central Midwest Gardening: Moving perennials in Iowa

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mlvw
Ames, IA

August 22, 2006
9:40 PM

Post #2648898

I just moved to a new home and want to move some perennial to my new garden from my previous residence. Is this a bad time of year to do so? Should I wait until Spring? If I do it now, what would be the best method?
tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2006
1:56 AM

Post #2649748

You can move plants this time of year. There is still time for them to send out some roots before the really cold weather come in. Just make sure to baby them quite a bit after you set them in their new homes to make sure that they have an opportunity to get established.
KatieLovesDogs
Indianapolis, IN

August 29, 2006
7:50 PM

Post #2672374

I've moved perennials cross country. I potted up my more sensitive stuff. My tough plants were placed bare root (or with some soil) into rubbermaid tubs and the roots were kept moist but not submerged in water. My plants did well. I kept the tougher plants in the tubs for a little more than a week in a shady spot.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America