Frigidaire Front Load won't do final spin and drain

Oakley, CA

My Frigidaire Gallery Front Load Washing machine goes through the wash cycle fine, filling with water, agitating(turning to wash clothes), but it does not do the fast spin and does not drain the water. I can here the machine clicking through when the spin should occur. Put in a light load, 2 t-shirts and a shirt, same thing. The model # FWT4496F52 Serial # XC00515877. Took the back off and the belt is fine and the barrel turns when manually turned. What can be the problem?

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

http://applianceguru.com/forum2/2937.html

Try this link, hopefully the suction hose is blocked.

Oakley, CA

I took the big hose in back of the pump off, cleaned it out ($3 worth of coins, safety pins, etc.), I felt inside the pump with my fingers, didn't feel anything, put the hose back on, plugged it in, no luck. I can hear the pump trying to suction and it is getting warm. The machine is clicking through the cycles. Did I take the correct hose off? What should my next step be? Thank you.

If you got three bucks worth of change, you definitely got the right hose. It's possible the pump was damaged, or there's more stuff in it. That link shows some more possibilities if you scroll down. There are some really together parts places that will let you return stuff if it doesn't help you.

One other thing, after you cleaned out the hose, did you unplug the washer, then plug it back in, and see if it would 're-set'?

That link also has places you can post with genuine experts answering your questions, but you might have to contribute to their beer fund. You already have $3...... ;)

Oakley, CA

I did unplug it and plug it in again. No Luck, is there a reset button? I have posted on Samuri's website. Thank you so much for your time! I will contribute my loose change to his beer fund.

Some times powering on and off will reset chips back to normal, not sure about your washer.You're welcome, I hope you enjoy that site as much as I do!

Oakley, CA

In waitiing for Samurai to give an answer, I was thinking of what you said about the coat hanger... I tried it on the hose that drains to the drain, I put it up from the pump side and the hanger got stuck. Finally got it out. Then I though to go to the other side of the hose (going into the drain) and blow in it. Should the air pass through? It doesn't, not one bit. Tried water, also. nothing. I am on to something?

It sounds like it.... I'd explore this angle, then you can keep your $3 ! :)P

Oakley, CA

Dearest Claypa!!! It worked!!! Took the drain hose off, forced water through it with a water hose, unclogged the stinky mess, hooked it back up and it works!!!!!!!!! It spins and drains! Thank you so much!!! Didn't cost a cent, just my time wading in ucky water to figure it out and made $3!

Probably should have warned you about water going everywhere.... Glad I could help!
In the future, make sure your pockets are empty!! But you learned that the hard way, I guess ;)

This message was edited Aug 24, 2006 12:16 AM

vancouver, Canada

Hello,

So I have been reading your suggestiong. I unhooked the fat pump and found some change at the bottom. The machine is still not working so I'm sure it's the draining hose. How do you get the red clamps off, it seems immposible. Also, is there anyway to prevent the water from spilling everywhere?

Thanks for your help!

This message was edited Sep 7, 2006 2:43 AM

You have to pinch together the little horns on the clamp. Use pliers, and pull the hose and the clamp off together. Use bowls or scrap containers to catch the water, and keep some towels handy.

Las Vegas, NV

Wow!
This old thread helped me to get my front loading Frigidaire washer up and running again.
It would not drain and made some clicking noises.

1 - I drained most of the standing water from inside the washer.
2 - I took the bottom panel off by reading my manual and finding the location of two screws located near the bottom.
3 - I removed the big rubber hose/trap by pinching the clamp and pulling it off.
4 - Cleared out the maternity bra pad that was blocking the passage to the tiny white plastic pump.
5 - Put it all back together.

6 - Smiled.
7 - Registered at davesgarden.com to post this.

Thank you!
This old post helped me out and saved me some $$$.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2009 10:10 AM

This message was edited Aug 30, 2009 10:11 AM

Chico, CA

I registerd because I had the same exact problem, fridgedare frontloader won't drain or spin. Read the above tread. Guess what, it was hard getting those heavy duty clamps off the hoses. And shouving the washer on its side to go in the bottom. Some contortionist ability required. 5 Quarters, 10 dimes, 2 Nickles, 5 pennies, one chain necklace, 2 paper clips, lots of lifting, bending, showing, Waa Laa! Works Great!!!!! Thank you so much!

W Hartford, CT

Another happy user of this site! Thank you so much for the tip on how to get my machine spinning again! I made $10.48($3.48 in coins and $7 in bills!).
And I use a jelly roll pan(it looks like a cookie sheet with shallow sides all around) under the hoses to catch the water and my wet/dry vac to empty the pan.
Thanks again!

Freedom, NH

Joined the group just to say how helpful this thread was.

One thing.... Next time I have to do this, I am getting hose clamps from the auto parts store. Those spring ones are a PITA

Clifton, NJ

To all:

Be sure to really inspect the big black rubber hose located inside the machine.

You have to remove the back panel to access that hose.

If possible, place the washer on its side.
Ths will make it much, much easier to access the pump, hoses, etc.

The hose I'm referring to has 3 connections/openings:
One goes to the pump (located on the floor of the machine)
The remaining 2 connections/openings (one large, one small) connect to the upper interior of the machine.

There are 3 small green spring clamps, and one larger silver wire screw clamp.
You have to remove all of those spring clamps and you have to remove that big black hose.

There's a plastic filter inside of that big hose.....it's located in the 'accordion' part of that hose.

My washer had a detergent/fabric softener 'napkin' jammed inside of that big black rubber hose.
It was blocking the exhaust flow of the discharge water.

If I remember correctly, the error message was E21.......

To remove the pump, just remove the screw on the left of the pump (if machine is viewed from behind).
You can then swivel the pump towards you and remove it.
There is a second screw (on the right of the pump), but the pump has a slot that allows you to slide the pump back into it and rotate the pump back into position.

I put everything back together and now the washer is working fine!
Grab a camera and take a few pix before you disconnect anything.

.........and go to an auto parts store and buy a few automotive hose clamps.

Thumbnail by msmith40
Danville, VA

Thanks a ton!!! Worked like a charm.

Metairie, LA

To All
We had this exact same issue. We also had the purex 3 in one sheets stuck in the plastic filter. Also had 35 cents stuck in valve. The green clamps were a pain to get off, but even harder to get on so I replaced them with screw clamps. As for the one screw clamp that was included with the washing machine, I re installed it. I re installed the washer and the washer leaked all over my floor. I took the washer out again and replaced the clamp with a new screwclamp that was wider, but had to hold the rubber and clamp all the way up against the back of the plastic piece in order to srew it on tight. It took way longer than I thought, but it is working fine now. We won't be using purex 3 in one sheets anymore

Minneapolis, MN

Quote from hottyson :
Wow!
This old thread helped me to get my front loading Frigidaire washer up and running again.
It would not drain and made some clicking noises.

1 - I drained most of the standing water from inside the washer.
2 - I took the bottom panel off by reading my manual and finding the location of two screws located near the bottom.
3 - I removed the big rubber hose/trap by pinching the clamp and pulling it off.
4 - Cleared out the maternity bra pad that was blocking the passage to the tiny white plastic pump.
5 - Put it all back together.

6 - Smiled.
7 - Registered at davesgarden.com to post this.

Thank you!
This old post helped me out and saved me some $$$.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2009 10:10 AM

This message was edited Aug 30, 2009 10:11 AM

Amazing... washer stopped working last night (Kenmore actually a Frigidaire 417). Didn't complete the wash, had water in the bottom and it clicked when I tried to drain. Same thing... a maternity bra pad, was stick in the drain pump.

Went through the same steps. Although it was tougher to prop the washer up and get the bottom square drive screws off for the panel than it was the spring clamp. Just used the Leatherman I had on me to get the clamp off, was tough to get back on, but didnt take more than a couple minutes.

Thanks guys!

toronto, Canada

my front load washer will drain but won't spin. it looks like the drum is off its track in front only - i think i can get it back on track if only i could manage to get at it. does anyone know how i can open the front panel to try and fix it myself?

El Reno, OK

Well, this was sort of a back-door fix for my washer. It's the stackable front loader and it wouldn't drain or spin. I followed the directions in this post and also found a few dollars in change in the rubber boot, cleaned that out and reinstalled. Took the back panel off the machine and cleaned out the drain hose, then, as I was putting everything back together, found that the green electrical plug to the drain pump was disconnected. That was probably the whole problem, but as the machine is 10 years old, it sure didn't hurt anything to clean it all out. Thanks for the help!

Thumbnail by spiritualaxiom
Waldoboro, ME

Read this thread and was able to fix our Frigidaire front loader, no parts needed and no paying labor for someone else to fix it! In fact, I found 47 cents in the filter, plus a lot of hair pins and goop! Thanks everyone!

LiRe

West Tisbury, MA

Another satisfied customer -- worked like a charm; registered just to say thanks!!!

vancouver, Canada

A HUGE thanks to msmith40 for the helpful description and picture.

My machine wasn't draining and after taking off the hose and not finding a clog, I went back in and removed the part of the rubber hose that attaches to the pump. I am hardly mechanically inclined, and so rather than risk taking the whole thing off and not being able to get it back on, I inched the filter down until it poked out the bottom, and then used a small pair of needle-nosed pliers to pull out my wife's bikini 'cookie' and 28 cents, which were apparently lodged in there and clogging it up. I managed to put Humpty back together again, but reattaching that clamp is brutal. However, if I can do it, anyone can.

Thanks again to msmith40 for saving me a service call and way too much money. I'm up 28 cents, actually...

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, Claypa have you counted all of the new members you created by helping on this thread? All you do is hold your cursor on their names in the left column and see when they joined and when they posted.

I think admin owes you a year free! Great work!

Simi Valley, CA

Well, the good news is that I followed all these marvelous, detailed steps to find that nothing was clogging my hoses or boot hose (I think that's the name of the bag black internal hose with the "accordion" feature--btw, mine did NOT have a filter inside of it). The bad news is that it still does not do the final spin. After lots of googling and other research, I came to find a way to run a comprehensive diagnostics test, that indicated I had error E47. Ironically, in running the test, the hi-speed final test ran like a dream, meaning that the diagnostic test overrides whatever "errors" are happening, i.e., control board problem or faulty door lock assembly, but I can at least get the washing done by running the last phase of the diagnostic test at the very end, and getting the hi-speed spin. Now, to figure out exactly what is wrong, I need to "remove door lock assembly and measure the resistance of the PTC." I am NOT Mr. Fix-It and was proud to be able to have gotten through the steps above, but I don't even know what to use to test the resistance of the PTC, which I don't know what it is either. And depending on what the reading is, I either have a defective door lock assembly or a defective control board. I have no idea where these things are, or where I would go to buy them. We have a home protection plan--of course the Frigidaire extended warranty ended days before this problem happened--so I am hoping that plan will cover. I would love to finish this job myself, but unless I can find schematics and great simple instructions and photos like you folks have so nicely provided (this is my first visit and post), then I think I may have to shell out to have it fixed by a "pro." At least I have done most of the work for hi/her.

Anyway, if anyone reads this and has any bright ideas, please let me know And I am a big amateur gardener, so I REALLY look forward to getting into that part of the site as well.

Peace, etc.
A

Ashtabula, OH

yes the cleaning it out is great but it can also be the door locking mechanism

Jefferson, MD

Quote from Fiasco :
Well, the good news is that I followed all these marvelous, detailed steps to find that nothing was clogging my hoses or boot hose (I think that's the name of the bag black internal hose with the "accordion" feature--btw, mine did NOT have a filter inside of it). The bad news is that it still does not do the final spin. After lots of googling and other research, I came to find a way to run a comprehensive diagnostics test, that indicated I had error E47. Ironically, in running the test, the hi-speed final test ran like a dream, meaning that the diagnostic test overrides whatever "errors" are happening, i.e., control board problem or faulty door lock assembly, but I can at least get the washing done by running the last phase of the diagnostic test at the very end, and getting the hi-speed spin. Now, to figure out exactly what is wrong, I need to "remove door lock assembly and measure the resistance of the PTC." I am NOT Mr. Fix-It and was proud to be able to have gotten through the steps above, but I don't even know what to use to test the resistance of the PTC, which I don't know what it is either. And depending on what the reading is, I either have a defective door lock assembly or a defective control board. I have no idea where these things are, or where I would go to buy them. We have a home protection plan--of course the Frigidaire extended warranty ended days before this problem happened--so I am hoping that plan will cover. I would love to finish this job myself, but unless I can find schematics and great simple instructions and photos like you folks have so nicely provided (this is my first visit and post), then I think I may have to shell out to have it fixed by a "pro." At least I have done most of the work for hi/her.

Anyway, if anyone reads this and has any bright ideas, please let me know And I am a big amateur gardener, so I REALLY look forward to getting into that part of the site as well.

Peace, etc.
A

Hello, I have the same issue and it shuts off with 7 minutes remaining and not final spin. Did you ever figure it out? Can you please tell me how to do the diagnostic that you spoke of? Thanks

Granbury, TX

Help! I was having a problem most like everyone here except i was getting error message e23(drain pump relay failed) and now i dont knwo what to do can you help me?

Thanks,
Wes

Gallatin, TN

Just finished my DIY repair to my wife's Frigidaire frontloading washer - the washer would not drain and spin out the clothes. Solution: from reading the numerous posts I was able to remove the back of the washer panel and remove the two hoses on either side of the pump that drains the washer and low and behold, out comes 2 pennies, a bobby pin, and the real culprit was a metal bra underwire, wedged in the pump impeller. We had already called the repairman, but were able to cancel him, since he couldn't come out for 4 more days, ta-da! Love this site! Thanks Dave!

Thumbnail by thecaveman
Columbus, OH

My front loading washer, Frigidaire Gallery model: GLTR1670AS1, wont spin. At first it would add water and drain but not spin. Then I called Frigidaire and was told to unplug it for 10-15 minutes to reset the control panel. I did and now it wont do anything but make a very low buzzing sound. The Wash or Rinse and Door Lock lights will come on but no spinning. Also the door doesnt always open even after the door lock light is off. So I am wondering if the above tip will work for me before I shell out $70 for a service call? I am pretty mechanically-inclined if given good instrutions and I have a very strong 17y/o to assist with hard to reinstall clamps...any help would be appreciated so I can get it working this weekend.

Ironwood, MI

Thanks for the feed. I found bobby pins and $4.00 in quarters, plus a ton of GOOP (yuk). The hardest part with the clamps was getting them back on. we put the washer on its side and then took it apart. we laid it on its left side and then took it apart. we then lifted the machine with the tubes unattaced to let the water drain. If you do this next to the washer drain it should drain to it if the floor drain is at a lower spot. have towels ready of course. I took about 5 minutes to take the accordian hose out and remove the filter and clean it out. it took 25 minutes putting the clamps back on. car hose clamps probably would have been a faster/easier solution but I got in nonetheless. Ran the washer w/o clothes twice with lots bleach and detergent to remove any mildew or mold, using a HOT cycle anyway.

Defiance, OH

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread! The information here helped me with my Frigidaire Gallery Frontloader washing machine. The machine was not draining and spinning, just like everyone else has reported. Followed the instructions and low and behold, a Purex 3 in 1 sheet was stuck in the black hose plus dog fur (yuck!). Those clamps are HARD to get on and off....make sure that you have a good set of needle nose pliers to be able to remove those things! It also helps in you can get the washer to an area that you have plenty of room to take apart the machine.....our washer in dryer is in a small area next to the kitchen with no moving room, so we took the washer outside to work on it. My hubby had the bright idea to to a test rinse and spin outside to make sure that we had gotten everything out (worked like a charm) before dragging the machine back in. That way most of the water was spilled outside....evaporation took up clean up for us. :)

Beaver Dams, NY

What do you check when the washer will drain but theres no final spin. The washer works fine for washing, spins and washes but with no final spin clothes are ringing wet. need the final spin to get them ready for the dryer. Any suggestions? should I check the hose even if the washer is draining?

Manteca, CA

Thanks this also worked for my Frigidaire front loader. My main drain hose was plugged not allowing the pump to drain the washer. Very easy fix. Took of the lower front panel (two screws) removed the red hose clamp from the drain hose to the white drain pump and had my son blow from the drain hose end towards the washer while I used a metal clothes hanger to dislodge the debris till it came clear. Reclamped the hose and badda bing badda boom it works like new again. Thanks a million

Clear Lake, WA

THANK YOU! I washed the dog's rug this morning, came home from coffee and found that the backing had come off and clogged up the drain hose in our front loading washer. I quickly googled for help and your post was there, again MUCH appreciated! We did collect quite a bit of change, and only spent an hour or so getting everything running again. My husband used the wet/dry vac and lots of towels to resolve the water issue. The laundry room looks so clean afterwards too!

Morrisville, Pa, United States

Quote from dopalgangr :

Hello, I have the same issue and it shuts off with 7 minutes remaining and not final spin. Did you ever figure it out? Can you please tell me how to do the diagnostic that you spoke of? Thanks

I had a repair guy out and he said it was the control board and would cost $420. We declined but after some searching found the board for $135 and changed it myself. Still have same problem, drains but will not go into spin with about 7 minutes left. Only difference is now, when it shuts off at the 7 minute mark, it beeps as if wash is done. Before changing board, it just shut off. Help1

Sunderland, MA

Frigidaire front loader (approx 12 years old) - Had similar symptoms to many of these posters - wouldn't do final spin, six inches of water still in the drum - I opened it up, popped off all the hoses, cleaned out the 'boot' by the impeller of three guitar picks and a quarter, blew out the main drain hose with the garden hose - no large obstructions anywhere, but it appears to be working now. Just so you know, the drain hose only works in one direction, so don't be fooled into thinking there's a big blockage in it if water/air doesn't go both ways. So far so good, thanks for the forum.

Sunderland, MA

BTW, I should mention this wasn't a breeze of a job - it took hours between everything - but I didn't pay the local appliance shark whom I don't trust the $125 service call, so I feel I'm far ahead.
And don't forget to UNPLUG the washer!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.