Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: ideal conditions for geranium maculatum?

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 8, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wickerparker
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2006
8:46 PM

Post #2655875

Hello -- I'm hoping someone here can help me. I've got a few of both g. maculatum "Elizabeth Ann" and "Espresso." A few of them are second year plants, which were lovely, robust, and bloomed well in the spring, but haven't fared well at all in the mid/late summer heat and sun, which they've gotten plenty of. I got some new ones this season too and put them in bright shade after they'd bloomed -- they're smallish but looking fresher now than the more exposed plants, though I'm wondering if they'll bloom there in the spring with so little direct sun. I see that the Geraniaceae website has them listed as shade plants, which was news to me (I'm a g. newbie). Can anyone tell me what, in theory, the ideal conditions are for them??? I feel like I need to do some relocating. Thanks very much!
Spider07
Lilburn, GA

August 24, 2006
9:02 PM

Post #2655921

Hi!

They like shade and humid soil.

good luck!
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 25, 2006
2:43 AM

Post #2656850

Full shade or part shade? I've been finding on most of my hardies that they need a little sun.

My Jolly Bee didn't like the heat at all and I ended up having to cut it all the way back after three weeks of heat stress. Last year it was a blooming machine in full sun, but we didn't have any extended time last summer when it got overly hot. I don't intend to move it. I don't consider three weeks of temps over 90 to a 100 normal weather for us.
Spider07
Lilburn, GA

August 25, 2006
2:56 AM

Post #2656883

I think it depends on the intensity of the sun. Here in GA it would have to grow in full shade. In colder climates it would tolerate part shade.

Thye did OK for me in England in partial shade. (But the majority of days there are cloudy).
wickerparker
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2006
3:50 PM

Post #2658165

It does seem that the leaf color on the plants in shade isn't as bronzey as it should be, and I worry they won't flower there. I'm in the city, the garden's small and closed in by tall trees, tall fences and houses, and my light conditions shift dramatically during the course of the summer -- we're most open to the west, so the sun we do get is fierce, when we get it. But the g. maculatums that were getting blasted with afternoon sun a month ago are now in mostly shade, as they will be come spring, till the sun's high enough to blast them again. It's frustrating. I've ordered more geraniums for fall because I love them, but I probably don't have the right place for any of them. The ones I've tried so far that seem to adapt stress-free to the constant changes are the g. sanguineums. I keep hoping I'll find the right plants for the right places and if I stick with them till they get established, we'll all be happy...
wickerparker
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2006
3:57 PM

Post #2658181

by the way, beaker_ch -- how did you escape extended heat last year in MN? in Chicago, we had one of the hottest and longest summers ever, as I recall. I was pregnant, but I don't think it was just hot flashes... The geraniums (and I) barely survived.
Spider07
Lilburn, GA

August 25, 2006
4:06 PM

Post #2658209

Wicker,

I would keep them in pots until I found the right place for them. They will do well in big pots.

You can also divide them (if big enough) and do some root cuttings.
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2006
4:24 PM

Post #2658265

I have had Elizabeth Ann growing for several years now. She is in partial shade, and blooms wonderfully each spring, though she never seems to increase in size. The only sun she gets is mid to late afternoon right now, in the spring and fall, it's primarily only late afternoon sun. My cantagbrigiense (sp?) Biokovo and Karmina, both do really well right nearby and spread like crazy. The phaeums I have seem to do best in total shade.
Deb
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 25, 2006
4:53 PM

Post #2658352

It was beautiful last summer. I don't think we had more than three or four days when it hit 90, maybe 5, but they weren't back to back and it wasn't cold and rainy like it was the year before. We did have one heck of a storm in August through. Lotz of us without power for several days. My garden was beautiful, unlike now.

I do remember hearing how hot it was south of us and counting my blessings. We also had a much better winter than you folks south of us. We had adequate snow and I was able to keep a snow cover on all my gardens until towards the end. But after that, there wasn't a whole lot of temoperature swings. Once spring actually started, is when things got unpredictable up here. Had a lot of plants hit with mildews and fungal problems. Roses hit hard.Seems like all I was doing was cutting plants back and applying fungacides this spring. This summer was the pits.

Last year was the almost perfect growing year. We all deserve those every once in awhile.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America