Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: 2nd question

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 3, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2006
12:44 PM

Post #2657710

I have an oak threshold on an outdoor door and it faces south. The contractor brushed on some water based varnish-stuff that peeled off within about 2 months leaving bare nekkid and now-bleached wood. I think I want marine varnish, but when I went to a website from my google hit, there were too many choices and I got confused. I am in Indianapolis -- the largest US city on non-navigable water -- I don't know anything about boats and this website catered to sailors!

Thanks again, for any help,
Suzy
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2006
2:04 PM

Post #2657878

I would try going to your local Home Depot or Lowes--I have an extra heavy duty outdoor varnish and that's where I got it. I don't think mine is marine varnish but I remember they have that there too, but reading the description on the one I bought I felt good that it was going to give similar performance and I think it sounded less hazardous than the marine stuff. Sorry I don't have the container anymore or I would give you a brand name!
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2006
2:43 PM

Post #2658007

Diamond Varathane makes a high quality low V.O.C. type of urethane, but any thing that says 'spar varnish' will work.

In case you don't know, v.o.c. stands for volatile organic compounds, which we all want to avoid breathing. You might give that threshold a light sanding, and obviously, any staining should be done before you varnish or urethane it.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2006
3:07 AM

Post #2660321

Thanks! I'll run out tomorrow.

Suzy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America