Death Valley gas stations?

Wilton, CA(Zone 9b)

My husband and I are going on a motorcycle tour from CA to NYC to PA the tour's called TorchesAcrossAmerica. We'll be meeting up with the Southern CA riders in Kingman AZ on Sept 2; to get there we'll be driving through Death Valley starting in LonePine CA. Does anyone know the gas station situation across the desert. We're not going to go through LasVegas.
Our first day will be from Sacramento to LonePine.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry, I missed this post (missed the FORUM, actually!) and then I was away or on the road for 7+ weeks! -- I guess you found out there is gas and it is among the MOST EXPENSIVE you will ever see. Even down at Baker on I-15, it is... heaven help the locals and turistas that end up having to fill up WITHIN the park!

But, did ya love it? Didya, didya?

Guess YOU might still be travelling (you didn't say how long planning to spend covering the whole route?) -- is there an update on another thread?

~'spin!~

Wilton, CA(Zone 9b)

Yep, we paid 4.00 a gallon at the State Park station.
Our trip started on Sept 1 and we got home on the 28. The group we rode with for the first 11 days is Torches Across America, which is trying to make Sept 11 a national recognition day for first responders and the military.
Check out the web site which has next years route and stuff about this year's ride. TorchesAcrossAmerica.com and also a blog by our friends at
clear-lake-road-riders.blogspot.com
I don't know how to do those automatic link things..sorry.
We're the riders on the blue HD pulling a trailer.
Hope your trip was grand; where'ja go? After the TAA ride was over on Sept 11 in PA; one other couple and us went up to Nigara Falls and then across "the top" and down home to the Sacramento area. Total ride about 7200 miles. Great Fun!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

SV:
If you enter the URL starting with http-colon-slash-slash (i.e. the way it appears at the top of your browser), the forum software should recognize it is a web-address, and make it "automatic". Easiest to do by cut-n-pasting straight from the URL field of your browser.

http://TorchesAcrossAmerica.com
http://clear-lake-road-riders.blogspot.com

My trip was in my mini-van, picked up SIL in Moab, we hitched up my new (vintage) 13' fiberglass trailer in Kansas City, continued across to the DC area where we stayed at her brother's house while "doing" a tradeshow in Baltimore, then we split up (my DB flew in and they rented a car) -- we both ended up in upstate NYS, visiting family in the Adirondacks, but each on own schedule. My DH flew into Albany for the middle week of the next three, after which we three made our way back down to DC area to turn in the rental car, do another tradeshow closer to the brother's home, rest a little and then start home on a more-or-less southern route to avoid the early snow along I-70! Oh yeah, I also brought along our 16-year-old cat, because he needs pills and hand-feeding twice a day and my DH can't fit that in his hectic schedule!

The trip was mostly good, but did get LONG to the point of tiresome on the way home! My, this is a BIG country!

~'spin!~
PS, to say you asking: The tradeshows are dollhouse-miniature ones, at which we peddle high-count needlepoint imported from mainland China, as well as a few lines of USA-handmade items produced by individuals without the means to sell at shows by themselves!

(Zone 3b)

Hi SacValley - just found you here - loved the photos on the clear-lake site and seeing you and steve with our aunt/uncle there in Michigan, was cool...
love
sis/kiska

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Was it a mixed bike ride or only american or only Jap?etc. That sounds exhausting and fun. We would like to go on the Petty`s charity run sometime, I guess there is a huge waiting list though. My DH needs a little more time in his job to take off so much time but we definately want to do it. Was your shoulders killing you every night? Were you physically melting down or was it just a blast.? Thank God you were on bikes instead of cars since you paid top dollar for your gas.

Wilton, CA(Zone 9b)

It was a great adventure! Go to www.torchesacrossamerica and sign up! Everyone pays their own way for everything, but dinner is provided by a local VFW or American Legion. The only reason to sign up early is so that the cordinator can set up a block of rooms at motels across the states and get the best rates. We signed up last year in January. Also realize that you Don't have to go all the way to NY; just go. We've decided that if we go again we'll go about half way w/the group and then go do our own thing. Going to ground-zero and the crash site in PA was an event that will always be w/me. And glad to have been there, but may not go back.
We have a HD ultra classic and pulled a trailer; and were on the road for one month, 7250 miles. The "official ride" was over on Sept. 11. Gas prices were as high as 4.00 (death valley) and low as 2.15 in Iowa.
Most of the bikes were HD, but the four others that we left Sacramento with had GW 1800's. I think that of the 25 riders from Oceanside were nearly all HDs. Go to the web site and check out the photos of a great time had by all, and a little weary at the end.
*Jo

(Zone 3b)

hey Jo - have you given more thought to riding here? (hope not) :) it'd turn my hair gray with worry :)
sis/kiska

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

We just sold our electra glide classic and I got lipo. We still have a Valkyrie though and I have a Yamaha but as long as they don`t care. You never answered my question about how miserable were you physically or was that why you would go half way in the future? I bet it was very sobering to see all those sites?

Wilton, CA(Zone 9b)

I wasn't really sore, more or less just wore out. We aren't power riders, and stop pretty often. But even so by the end of day 5 or so, I could have slept a full day. I'm 5'9; and sometimes my knees would start to ache because I couldn't stretch out (I'm the passenger), and my husband would complain about his back. We are asleep pretty fast at the end of day. Almost all days were about 400 miles. We are only Miserable on the way home going up through Nebraska; around Sept. 20. I was sure that we'd just freeze to death while riding. I had 5 layers on top and three on my legs, two pair of gloves, a scarf and helmet; and still colder than I've ever been in my life. We spent 2 extra days getting across that part of the ride, between just Plain Darn Cold or raining, we had to leave later in the morning than usual and stop early for the night. Don't get talked out of going through, I just chaulk it up to an experience, and may-or-may not do it again! i'd get the best fleece and maybe even electric wear.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Yeah I am a fair weather rider myself. I have done the miserable thing both hot and cold and neither are enjoyable. There is nothing like freezing so your face is paralyzed and your mouth won`t form words anymore and your legs are so dead that when you go to stop your bike starts to fall over because you can`t feel your legs anymore. When we went to the River Run the first time, we were so hot we both just wanted to throw ourselves off and die. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.