-
AuthorContent
ghia_girl
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2006
2:26 AM

Post #2666495

This is the first year I've had EE. This is a question that will come up more as the season changes. So I thought I would start now. The bulbs will have to lifted and storage because of our winter are to cold. What are the steps to get my EE ready for winter?

Thumbnail by ghia_girl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bwilliams
Louisville, KY

August 28, 2006
5:10 AM

Post #2667013

Just me but I would dig up the caladiums and mulch your others in with leaves or hardwood mulch. That close to you foundation you will find them coming back on their own. A bit of protection and they would be fine.
ghia_girl
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2006
5:50 PM

Post #2668300

Brian, Thanks get ideal, less work for me, however we want to move a few for next year. How would we deal with them?
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2006
4:00 AM

Post #2702634

Here's what I'd do:

Stop watering now (if you haven't already) to help them go dormant. When they have pretty much yellowed out and maybe before the first frost, dig the ones you want to move and let them finish drying in a warm dry airy place. Let the foliage shrivel and dry.

Store bulbs in dry sawdust, vermiculite, dry peat or wood shavings or a paper bag, in the dark, in a coolish but not cold room (45-60F say) where it isn't humid.

Plant next year after the ground warms up.

You might want to dig them all up so you won't upset your present "look", unless you want to take from just one end or both, or equally spaced along the row. If you dig all of them, you can sort through them and pick some nice ones for each site and replant next year.

Robert.
PS If you want to, you can start them early indoors in pots, if you have enough light, and plant out when it's good and warm next June.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2006 12:07 AM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2006
11:00 AM

Post #2714972

Good advice raydio.
I'd add...Don't wash the bulbs. Knock of the majority of the dirt. After they dry out gently brush off the excess dirt. You want them dry dry before storage.

Ric

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America