Picking up the House (literally)

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

Today is a big day for our little dilapidated farmhouse. The last thread is here
http://davesgarden.com/place/t/580625/

We bought the place last Dec. and have been doing plenty of mental work and interviewing contractors and reading, trying to figure out an approach to saving what we can and rebuilding this 175 acre farm with its early 1800's farmhouse.

The compromise we're trying is:

1) Remove the summer kitchen from the excavation area on skids. This is todays project. It may collapse. If not, DH and I will work on dismantling and salvage

2)Dig out the remaining area in an exact footprint of the main house AND summer kitchen, in an area abutting the current north wall of the main house

3)Pour a basement using insulated foam block, with provisions for downstairs bathroom, laundry, etc. This will be a walkout daylight basement on the north side.

4) Pick up the main house and set it on its part of the basement. Repair the sills and winterize.

That's all we can afford to do now. Eventually, we will rebuild the summer kitchen area with a new modern kitchen, which will accommodate the plumbing and electric needed, and remodel the main house which has four little farmhouse bedrooms, a keeping room and a parlor and pantry. Then add a wraparound porch which will be a deck on the north side. The north side will have windows for the expansive meadow views. It's too beautiful to miss!

I am heading up to photograph the adventure, and will post the results!! Fingers crossed!!

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I am looking forward to pictures and reports of progress.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Wow, such ambition! Also looking forward to the photos & reports from the front lines :-)

Vegas,NV Filbert, SC(Zone 7b)

Whoo Hooo. Gives a whole new meaning to moving. LOL I cant wait for pictures of the move.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Your place is beautiful... and you are making wonderful memories of a restoration that will be a great adventure... I am in line waiting for pics and reports also...

Well I hung around yesterday, and finally headed home. We got a call this morning, the contractor said simply : We have liftoff. LOL. Wish I had been there!! I'll get up to photograph later.

He said it went fine, everything held together and we'll be pleased. YAY!!!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Yippee!! But sorry you missed Liftoff. Anxiously awaiting photograhs.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Sometimes, it's best not to be there ( yes, that's the voice of experience, but in my case it was the front room off a trailer and we hauled it the 10 miles to my mom's, on a Sunday moring, without permits, on back - read dirt - roads). lol, one of those memories that my great grandchildren will get royally sick of!

You realize that you've got quite an audience here . . .

Okay, sorry about that. We had liftoff on Aug 28, and now we have footings!!!

Here's the house and summer kitchen after separation surgery:

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

The summer kitchen was slid, almost perfectly intact, back to one of the barns. Too bad neither is structurally sound enough to just use:

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

The new footings all poured! The remaining house will be set onto the far part of the new basement, and a new replica "summer kitchen" will eventually be built onto the closest part of the basement

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Another angle

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

The main part of the finished house, from the far end of the front yard, will be sitting where the summer kitchen is here.

I will end up with 30' more garden space on the south side of the house, and the current front walkway will be a stone garden path

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

What the views will be like

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt
south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

what a project!!! Can't wait to see the next phase..

View from upstairs...
The area from the bulldozer to the willow tree in the lower left, the area that was not hayed (because it's too wet) we hope to dig into a pond. The future kitchen and walkout basement will look out to the pond

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

sarv, thankfully I'm just spectating-not even paying....I'd get a stomachache if I thought about that...Let DH sign the checks! It's fun to see progress. We went for a walk, when we came back they were assembling the Lego blocks for the poured walls already. This looked like fun-they're just big foam forms that snap together!

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Foam block forms set onto rebar

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

An interesting shot of the edge of the removed summer kitchen, all hand hewn timbers that are pegged, and the original cedar shingles underneath the metal roof

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Dorothy I want details on the lego stuff!

Great progress you are making. :)

Once again we walked the fields, it's so pretty....
Here's the house as seen from the old beaver pond (the dam was breached and they built a new pond at the edge of the field to the north

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

last year this was all under water! now it's lush meadow with a meandering brook

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

New beaver pond:

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

View of the house from the end of the hayfield (Looks like heaven to me, especially with no insects out!)

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

darius, we researched poured concrete in foam blocks on the internet, but we have a contractor doing it. It's highly recommended, costs about twice as much as standard poured concrete, but is ready to finish into living space, with R50 insulation value built in. Because the concrete cures in a temperature and humidity controlled fashion, it's supposedly also stronger as well. I've heard that it's not hard to do oneself. I would imagine the forms are costly (compared to plywood), but for a one time pour where you wouldn't be reusing wooden forms anyway , is probably a good choice. It's tempting to me to have a whole concrete structure!! But I won't. I'll look for some links, and can get more info from the contractor too.

Thanks! I know SuperiorWalls makes preformed basement walls with studs and I think insulation but it takes a crane to set them.

We took backroads home, OMG I found spectacular farms....Here's one. Breathtaking mountain views!

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

And not only is it gorgeous, it's a....Reindeer Ranch???

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

I will get more pictures tomorrow or Sunday if it's not too rainy....

If that's a Raindeer Ranch, those guys need more food! Look how bony he is, LOL.

Shoot you're right, I was shooting out the car window while driving (DH hates it when i do that, but i always say i'll have the license plate of the truck that hits me)....Didn't really check the reindeer's weight!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Great photos and spectacular progress..! Watched my mother;s house get moved onto the foundation that was hand built by S.F. (and tarred on the outside by us kids) and it is a suspenseful event!

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Wow!!!!!!

I love to check your progress! Beautiful views! I can't wait to see it covered in snow....oh, I can't wait to see the kitchen done either.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Great pictures... and I await the progress pictures, too... how wonderful ... I know you must be very excited... I sure would be... I like the picture showing the old materials... I bet someone was sure proud of that once...

Bulls Gap, TN(Zone 6a)

I've been watching this thread with great interest. We are considering raising our 1930 farmhouse and putting it on a basement. The whole prospect terrifies me! The house was build with green oak timbers, hand hewn and probably petrified! In the attic, you can see where the timbers twisted as they dried. You can't drive a nail in it without drilling a hole first! I really admire your courage! Best of luck!

Laura

PS: More photos please!!!

We went up this morning, and the basement is still being "assembled". The windows are framed in and the last course of blocks was being put on..

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

You'll be able to see Hogback mountain from the basement!!

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Haven't decided on doors, but here's where they'll go

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Back of the kitchen wing

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Back of the entire basement. The left of the basement will be back filled, graded to just left of the windows. Starting to look a little bigger!!

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images