Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles Pictures: Evergreen Wisteria (Millettia reticulata)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 11, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 29, 2006
3:10 AM

Post #2670062

Evergreen Wisteria
Millettia reticulata

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/59543/

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8615744

Clare, do you still have this plant? What is your experience with it? I am considering adding this one to my new garden.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2011 11:15 AM
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 12, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8625807

Hi Sue, sorry for the delay. I don't get to visit here much anymore. I don't have this plant any longer. I'm not actually sure what happened to it. It was a lovely flower. It may have grew into a monster, and I used to get rid of monsters because I didn't have the room back then. Not much has changed in that regard:-)

This message was edited Jun 12, 2011 11:57 AM

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8627836

Thanks Clare for the reply! I now have a little more room since moving onto a 1/2 acre lot 2 months ago so I can finally look at plants like this one! Now I just need to find it.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 13, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8628163

Oh, lucky you. I too moved to a 1/2 acre 2 years ago, and I still have no room! LOL! I did, however, get to plant lots of lovely things that I wanted until I ran out of room.

I'm excited for you! Here's a link for you: http://almostedenplants.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=10

Happy planting!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8628271

Oh, not a bad price! But I promised no more plant purchases for a while, I brought over 600 potted plants with me so planting them will keep me busy for quite some time!
I am already getting worried that I will fill this in too quickly and run out of room!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 14, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8630022

Wow, you have your work cut out for you. Did you move within the same town? My friend here in Camarillo talks about Sebastopol all the time and says she would like to move there some day. I probably moved about 250 plants -- somewhere around there. My epi's were so heavy, and they got moved so many times to find the right spot for them (mostly shade), and they got fried in the sun and broken every time they were moved. I think I remember that you have epi's too; right? It is easy to run out of room when you love plants so much like we do. The nice thing about this vine is that it can be trained up. I used to have so many vines, like passifloras and wisterias, but they do get to be quite large over time. I did keep two large wisterias that I have in two giant pots where they will stay. If you like this Evergreen Wisteria vine, you would probably also like this one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54548/

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8630324

Oh I would absolutely love that one, have looked at it many times! Unfortunately, it looks like it's more for frostless zones and I am now in 9a, which can get colder than the 9b I was used to.
I used to be about 100 miles south in the Silicon Valley, in San Jose, the third largest city in California with almost 1 million population, crowded, lots of traffic, you get the picture. I lived there pretty much all my life and hubby retired last year so we started looking up here. Now we only go down to see my Mom (trying to eventually get her up here too) or friends and I can hardly wait to get back home where it's quiet and peaceful. Sebastopol's population is about 7,500, lots of farms, rolling green hills, (40" average rainfall compared to San Jose's 15") lots of nurseries, old apple orchards and vineyards, cooler nights due the the ocean's influence (Bodega Bay is a 20 minute drive away) to us it's ideal!

I have a few epi's I moved, currently blooming but I am not sure what I will do with them this winter, right now they will stay under the front porch so I'll see how they fare with the colder nights.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 16, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8634220

That sounds lovely:-) If you are so inclined, you could plant this one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55657/, which smells so good and looks so pretty. I actually planted it here in this zone at my old place. I don't think I had any trouble with suckers since it was grafted. I planted the pink, single purple, and double purple all in one corner, and it was so gorgeous.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8635180

Sigh... that Violacea Plena/Black Dragon one is on my wish list, there is a local nursery her about 1/2 mile away that has a gorgeous specimen, I have been on the hunt ever since!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 17, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8636422

You could do lilacs in your area too. I have one in this Zone 10 believe it or not, and it is one of my favorite things in my garden. The blooms smell so good, and you could do that same dark purple that the Millettia reticulata flowers have. I ordered mine from here: http://www.forestfarm.com/products.php?params=prod_name:lilac|wholeword:1

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8637623

I already got one from another local gardener, Zuzu. She was always on the Rose forum so not sure if you ever ran across her in the forums. She just dug up a small one from her garden. There were some wonderful real dark purple ones in various gardens around here, I want one of those too, just wish they bloomed longer, that fragrance is so divine! There are tons of great nurseries up here!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America