Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Aroids: Do Aroids seed?

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 7, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
capt_insano
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2006
1:10 AM

Post #2673312

total noob question here, but do Aroids seed? If they do, would it be reasonable to assume that they could seed and germinate outside in Kansas? I found a very Aroid-looking plant growing in my backyard bed while I was weeding. They almost got pulled with the weeds because they were so small, but then I noticed that they had a very aroid shape, but there is nothing that looks like them where I found them (though I do have about 4 types of elephant ears growing in the same bed)

This is what I found (I dug them up and put them in some pots - on the left of the photo)

Thumbnail by capt_insano
Click the image for an enlarged view.

capt_insano
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2006
1:10 AM

Post #2673315

closeup pic

Thumbnail by capt_insano
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LindaSC
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2006
1:30 AM

Post #2673371

Well, look at that. Yes, Alocasia grow from seed, that's how Brian gets all of his good crosses. Certainly look like EEs to me.
capt_insano
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2006
2:32 AM

Post #2673571

what kind does it look like? I have Metallic Taro, regular ol' elephant ears, and alocasia macrorhiza growing nearby. Nothing out back has flowered, but the metallic taro in my front yard did this year
LindaSC
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2006
3:19 PM

Post #2675132

I don't know anything about them, maybe Brian will see your post.
bwilliams
Louisville, KY

August 30, 2006
3:49 PM

Post #2675257

It looks to be a Alocasia most likely macrorrhiza. Many aroids do not set seed and seed are hard to usually get. But a few species like macrorrhiza can self seed meaning it produced the seed from its own pollen. In most cases what people think are seedlings are infact small corms or tubers off the mother plant that get moved around in soil mixes and will usually not come up until they are in a good situation. It would be hard to say if this was a seedling or if it was a corm they are small enough to be seedlings but it is a bit hard to miss a flower spike with large orange berries on it if you saw this it was most likely seedlings. If you dig the small plant up and it has a long stem reaching down into the ground it would most likely be a tuber produced plant. If you dig it up and the root system and all are right at the surface a good chance it was a seedling. Either case I know of no other alocasia that produces seeds regularly from selfseeding. I am sure their are some but they are rarely seen in cultivation.
capt_insano
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2006
4:44 PM

Post #2675418

thanks Brian -

I figured it may be the macrorrhiza, but am surprised because the closest macro is about 20 ft away. The small plants are very delicate and had small whispy roots, not thick tubers...so I believe the are seeds. None of the Macrorrhiza had flowered this year
bwilliams
Louisville, KY

August 30, 2006
10:03 PM

Post #2676361

If any were to do this I would say it would be Macrorrhiza. I should add that growing plants from seed is possibly the best way to get new variations. You can get anything from dwarf to giants and variegations. Lately their have been a lot of odd plants coming out of TC these are mutations and variations would be more stable and happen more often in seeds but because of the mass production in TC compared to the few people who mess with seed you dont see as much.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America