Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cacti and Succulents: Trailing Jade, Which Crassula ?

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 29, Views: 499
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2006
11:50 AM

Post #2674598

I have had this plant for many years and always called it trailing jade. The plant stems can become very long.

I perused the plant files unsuccessfully... I assume it is a Crassula but which one?

Thumbnail by podster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Happenstance
Northern California, CA

August 30, 2006
12:04 PM

Post #2674629

Senecio jacobsenii
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/51535/index.html
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

August 30, 2006
8:43 PM

Post #2676126

No such plant as a " Trailing Jade" Added: This I have been saying on the forum for a long time as well. Norma

This message was edited Nov 30, 2010 11:48 PM
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2006
1:15 AM

Post #2676839

Well, I guess I never have been shy about showing my ignorance. : ) And I thought it was a Crassula? At least it is a succulent ( I think ).

Senecio jacobsenii ~ I would never have thought Senecio. Happenstance your bloom photo is lovely, I suppose the bloom is why it is classed Senecio. The lovely color of the plant is beautiful too. Thank you both!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2006
4:54 AM

Post #2677530

Norma - need you to educate the ebay sellers...can't tell you how many times I've seen "trailing jade" listed there...LOL. I'm with Kristi...never knew there was no such thing!! Thanks for letting us know!!
Hugs,
Chantell
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2006
7:19 AM

Post #2677663

SOMEONE PLEASE educate ebay sellers!!! I am SO SICK of seeing a reasonable price for a mature specimen and then, the last sentence reads: "This is the mother plant. You will get a 2" rooted cutting." AAAHHHRGG! Of course the seller has just written ten paragraphs that explain that the plant is the extremely rare trailing vining climbing yellow red wacka hooka jade and will never be offered again and is probably extinct because the remote island on which it grows just blew up in a volcanic eruption killing the indiginous people who cultivated it. I've never been fooled, but they make you read the whole listing and get your hopes up. There are certain sellers who always do this, but I am sure I can't name names. I'm sure everyone here is smart enough to know who they are!

End rant!!! That being vented, there are wonderful sellers on ebay who are totally up front about cuttings vs. established plants, and actaully use the correct botanical name! I've had some great bargains. Sorry if I've sniped you!

Machikoneko

Machikoneko
Hometown, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2006
10:28 AM

Post #2677747

Jax4ever-

ROTFLMAO!! I second your sentiments!

Marsha.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2006
11:31 AM

Post #2677803

Amen Jax! Caveat emptor ~ let the buyer beware!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2006
3:34 PM

Post #2678401

Jax,
Too funny and sadly too true!! Now that I think about it...wonder if our own Watchdog lists ebay sellers - that would be a way of helping each other out!! Luckily I've dealth with mostly good/great ebay sellers...they far bypass the "not so great" ones. I'm always happy to share with folks the ones I'd avoid and the ones I continue to buy from!! My other vent would be the ones that have the plant at a good price...then BAMMM...you're hit with s/h that you think must be coming from Europe at that amount!! I've emailed a few and they said that it including shipping materials...WHAT?!?!? Again, priority boxes are FREE & I'm sorry but that newspaper did NOT cost you that much!!!
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2006
3:37 PM

Post #2678403

yea... it's the ones that sell for .01 but postage is 32.00! *giggle yea right!
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2006
4:34 PM

Post #2678552

Yes! I love the postage "flat rate" for that 2" rooted cutting!!
I have my dander up because I'm looking for a couple of plants, but the only ones who are selling over this Holiday are the "extremely rare HTF!" crew. I am also a bit ruffled because I did pay $$ for a cutting because, well, I had to have that plant!

Also, I had the audacity to put in a request to ebay management that the seeds be listed separately from the plants. That's the other trick!!! Showing you a 285 year old Japanese Black Pine, then the listing is for seeds only!!!! My great-great grandkids will be thrilled with the bonsai. Ebay sent me a message saying something to the effect of "we can't take suggestions from customers" due to legal reasons!!!!!!!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2006
5:00 PM

Post #2678636

Legal reasons? Hmmm...do they understand the term Lawsuit?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2006
1:31 AM

Post #2679964

Believe it or not, I have run into quite a few of the ebay sellers right here on DG. Some good, some "?". It amazes me to read about a plant on a thread here and move over to ebay to explore that plant. I notice the name/location and what do you know...

I will admit I have sold much junque over the years on ebay as we closed out a 2nd hand store. I also know to treat people the way I want to be treated. I have purchased many a plant on ebay and read descriptions thoroughly and ask leading questions if necessary. I weigh what I am willing to pay including the postage and bid accordingly. pod
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2006
2:06 AM

Post #2680087

There is one seller who actually says (in the "Me" page) that she is "a little old lady" who sells her plants on ebay to supplement her SS. She has been widow forever and she sometimes thinks she should charge more for the plants but then "I ask myself 'What Would Jesus Do?'"so she keeps her prices low and the Lord provides for her!!!!!!!!

...and I am the Queen of England! I don't think Jesus would get involved with ebay.She must think we all just rolled off the turnip truck, but I bet it works on a lot of people. Even if she is legit, I think it's kind of shameful to use her religious beliefs for profit.
mininissandog
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2006
2:25 PM

Post #2681435

Jax...I agree if she really wanted to know WWJD ... Jesus would root plants and hand them out for free (see the parable of the loaves and fishes) that is truely shameful...she is trying to work people. In her defense maybe she thinks it is spreading the word by showing that she is good and the lord provides but I doubt it.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #8235846

This plant has been a longtime friend of mine.

I was in my journal to add a photo of the bud on this delightful plant and found the link to this thread.

Maybe not a big deal for most but after all these years... I am looking forward to a bloom!

Thumbnail by podster

DougC
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 29, 2010
12:46 PM

Post #8236266

Podster: Here are some photos of mine, which is in hanging plant holder, on front porch.

First photo shows the orange flowers.

Doug

Thumbnail by DougC

DougC
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 29, 2010
12:49 PM

Post #8236270

#2 Shows how it grows in the shade, all green leaves.

Thumbnail by DougC

DougC
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 29, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #8236272

#3 Shows how the leaves turn dark red or wine color, growing in full sunlight.

Thumbnail by DougC

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #8236342

Doug ~ they are interesting blooms and a delightful plant. I am anxiously awaiting mine opening. Have you ever harvested seed and germinated it?

I love the color when in full sun. Oddly in this zone, my plant receives full sun in summer and in the recent photo is in a greenhouse with mostly full sun. It has not developed that wonderful color. I wonder if there are different cultivars that are more prone to darkening or perhaps the zone difference?
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

November 29, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #8236554

True it is not a ' Jade' Doesnt look like a
Jade' t
Trtue respose it is a Senecio Jacobsonii it will turn red with proper care, now if any you have somplains of the seller on Ebay contact them and complain. what is going on. I have done so many times. To me it is just plant dirty unethical sales practices, this is not a rare plant, Mine id coloring unicely. the plant should be returned and money returned, fair and square. I have been running dirty errands for this group for years, if you complain about a seller the seller will call you and make your the dirty name caller. I called Agrig dept. regarding the Peyote, I have called regarding the mite virus regarding the Aloe, it's time the rest of you and step up to the plate, who is going to do it if I sholdl die tomorrow? Your not shy about asking for a plant, so why are you shy when you have been cheated.

Always ask dealer, how big, is it rooted, how much, sun or shade. If you want to ask if a dealer is ethical ask, Or ask me to look at the picture for sale. I plant can be made to look larger than it is when put into a 1" pot and the picture taken from the top, if you are getting something free you have no right to complain, if you don['t send postage never ask again. Or just send stanps instead of money.
Or even a plant to show good faidth, a thank you is always rembered. Now off my bandstand. Norma

This message was edited Nov 30, 2010 11:38 PM
DougC
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 29, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #8236887

Podster: Have not tried to harvest seeds nor germinate them. If I did would be between different genera species to create a new Hybrid, which I feel we have plenty of experts around who do this.

As far as waiting for this S. Jacobsonii to flower, its now past its time they bloom around late Sept to Oct and now finish flowering for the season. The photos I posted above I gave some cuttings to Norma some time ago.. The Senecios flowering now or about to flower from my collection are:
S. Anteuphorbium
S. Articulatus
S. Medley-Woodii
S. Vitalis
My other Senecios are finished flowering for the season..

Doug

Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

November 30, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #8237991

Doug bless you for that cutting it is growing rapidly for me, and showing some light color. I think it is a nice clean growing plant that doesn't demand much at all. When you come to my house again, I show you the plant, I'm planing to fertilize it today I am trying out a new fertilizer that is suposed to do wonders, if it does I will report back to the group. Just completed potting up some Gasteria Ackers clone from seeds, I want to compare it with the one that I got years ago from Fernwood Nursery. Norma
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #8238152

I really like this plant. I have had it for at least six years and probably more.
It has grown lengthy over the years. I have shared many cuttings with others.

This is officially the plants' first bloom and I am elated.
The other thing I have not seen is the leaves turning any color beyond green. Mine has never developed a 'reddish color'.
Hopefully no one will turn me into the plant police for abusing it... lol

This is my only Senecio and as carefree as it is, I will have to look at more. I will check out the others that you listed DougC, thanks for that.
tvksi
Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2010
10:44 PM

Post #8238510

Hi y'all.. Saw Podsters name and thought I'd drop in. Very interesting thread , loved the rants... Too much hype on some of the e-bay.Every time I do a search, no matter what it is, if I was searching for red pimples, there would be among several answeres "Have bargains on red pimples. " or some such.
that is a very interesting plant. Beautifully simple design of leaves. Think I will put it on want list. DougC, The first thought when I looked at your pic #2 was clean shiney green butter beans ,LOL.
I think every one on this thread has been of some help to me one way or another, and I surely appreciate your being on davesgarden.

best to you
tvksi
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

November 30, 2010
11:46 PM

Post #8238539

Sorry that was me when I get angry, dBay says that they will protect you. Notify them. Well you try that and see how far it will go. I did complain about one person and I don't see him selling on eBay for a year now. I wonder if he will show up in the Spring, what hurt the most was that he was a friend. I have hosted him in my home on two visits. Very few venders know the right names of what they are selling, and I have reported this several times here. Many professional nurseries are very dirty, I'm not too proud of mine right now either. I will not buy at a place anymore because it has weeds all over the place and I don't want to bring that back to mine home. What ever you bring home always change to your own mix, this is because of watering, different soil dry out in different times and you want to water them all at the same time and you don't want to bring home hidden bugs or their eggs that you can't see. Norma
DougC
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

December 1, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #8239613

The three photos posted above are the same Jacobsonii. During the winter months I very seldom water, and harden them off. Checking my Jacobsonii, it became very dry and some of the leaves were shiverling up. So, all the potted plants hanging around the front porch got a good soaking today.

Your welcome Norma, I enjoy bringing you plants, as I know they are in expert hands. I did bring you a stack of Anteuporbiums now I have some Articulatus for you, both are flowering now.

From experiance, both of these Senecios are cute when small in pots, however both are very aggressive growers and soon no longer suitted for pots. My Anteuphorbium is in the ground, and now 4' high with a spread of 3' and from one small stem, now has roughly 50 stems and still growing.

Doug
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8381561

So, one of the blooms is done and turned to seed ~ a milkweed type seed. The other bloom is finishing up.

I still wonder if anyone reading this has any germination experience with the Senecio jacobsonii?

As these were in the GH house for the bloom season, will the seed be fertile?

Do they require pollination?

Would anyone care to try a few seed and see what their results would be...

This message was edited Feb 19, 2011 9:18 PM

Thumbnail by podster

maddy
Sodwana Bay KZN
South Africa

February 20, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8382044

Hi podster,

Sorry to disappoint you, but your seeds in yor picture all look empty!
This is what Senecio seeds look like: in the picture below the 2 reddish-brown ones are fertile, the grey ones are empty. You can also feel the difference: the fertile ones feel (and look somewhat) like caraway or cumin seed, the infertile ones you can hardly feel as they are much thinner and squash flat.
By the way, I found usually only a very small percentage of fertile seed in a seed head (grown outside).
Hope this helps!

Regards
Maddy

Thumbnail by maddy

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8382221

Excellent information ~ thank you! I will look closer and watch the second bloom too. Your expertise is appreciated ~ always!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America