-
AuthorContent
Willit_Grow
Loysville, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2006
11:00 PM

Post #2685728

I will start by saying that I am not sure that is the name of it. A friend of mine has this tool. I used it the other night to weed with and really took a liking to it. She said she thought it was called a chinese weeder. She also said she thought she had gotten it from a book called The Pinetree.

It is a hand held tool. Shaped sort of like a farm plow shoe only smaller of coarse. The handle is rather short and curved back kinda ontop the shoe part but, off to the side.

I've never seen one of them before and would sure appreciate any help that you might be able to give me.
If I am not able to find it ... I am gonna try to get a picture of it next time I am at my friends house.
Thank you in advance.
Deb
Willit_Grow
Loysville, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2006
2:22 PM

Post #2687209

Well, I actually found it ! It is in the Pinetree Catalog and is called an "oriental garden tool" #H151 (if anyone wants to know)

This message was edited Sep 3, 2006 10:24 AM

This message was edited Sep 3, 2006 10:25 AM
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2006
5:56 PM

Post #2736065

It's also known as a Ho Mi and comes in both short and long handled versions. It is reportedly of Korean origin. I use mine a lot! Useful for making seed furrows, too.
Willit_Grow
Loysville, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2006
11:47 PM

Post #2737104

According to the tag that came with mine it is supposed to be quite handy for planting.
LOL, when I first was looking for a chinese weeder I got about a million items on geese ! I didn't even know there were chinese weeder geese.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2006
2:15 PM

Post #2793789

Lee Valley Tools also sells the Ho Mi.

I have used one for years - actually I think I have had 3 of them. Be sure to paint the handle a bright color or you will lose it in the garden! I didnt like the long one much and had the handle cut down.

carolvan
Willit_Grow
Loysville, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2006
7:05 PM

Post #2794387

Good advice Carol,
In the short time that I have had mine - I have already had to look real hard to find it. Orange should be good don'tcha think ?
tiffanya
Sumner, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2006
9:08 PM

Post #2819949

Does it look anything like this?

This is a Korean Hand Plow.
I love it...works great for gardening!

Thumbnail by tiffanya
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Willit_Grow
Loysville, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2006
12:52 AM

Post #2823480

I think mine has a bit more of a curve on the handle. Other than the handle it looks like it. I didn't think to take a picture of it. I'll try to get a pic to post if I remember.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2006
1:04 AM

Post #2902811

I don't think I could garden without mine! LOL... I also got mine from Pinetree... ordered a spare a couple years later. I had a friend take mine to a grinding wheel and put a really good edge on it, which I keep sharpened with a file like you would keep a good edge on a shovel, and it makes a WORLD of difference.

Wonderful for whacking down to dig out a dandylion (sp?) while weeding... making a furrow for sowing seed, wedging out a stubborn rock, useful for sticking in clumps of plants to divide... geez, so many things I cannot think of them all. I did have their long handled version too, but my Mom broke it pretty easily. But, I have been using the original hand held one now for at least 10 years.

I've had a lot of hand held tools. This has been the best for me.
Willit_Grow
Loysville, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2006
8:55 PM

Post #2907824

Wow daylily_ohio,
LOL, I'm gettting tired just hearing all the things it's good for ! I might wanna get my money back before spring.
I really am kinda anxious to try it out come spring. I saw how Katie, (stoneycreekirises) used to plant her new irises and it only took her a couple minutes to plant several. I am glad I was able to get one. I may need to get the long handled one too.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2006
9:28 PM

Post #2910710

Even though I really love the hand tool, I did not care for the full size one. I was not upset when my Mom broke mine. My Mom is 82 and just broke it a couple years ago. She's not that strong... so I don't think you would want to use the long handled one for much more than making furrows. The short one seems much stonger.

If anyone orders one of these tools one from Pinetree Gardens... while you are at it, I highly recommend their own leaf lettuce mix. We have been growing it for years. I plant it on the thick side, just because I can never seem to get it thin enough (LOL) and so we just keep pulling it to thin it out. We eat the thinnings, starting when they are just a couple inches high. This is the best mix!! We plant where it will end up in a bit of shade for summer... extending the season a bit, then replant in mid to late August. By covering the row if it snows a lot, we usually harvest the last bit and have it at Thanksgiving. I buy it in the one ounce package for us. I usually buy an extra 3-4 small packages, because we give away the lettuce, and people are always asking where I get the seed - so I buy extra seed to give them. Some years, I don't give it all away, so I will plant the left over seed myself the next year. I have had pretty good germination even if it's 2 years old.

"203. PINETREE LETTUCE MIX (begin harvesting in 40 days)
We have been experimenting with various Mesclun Mixes from France and Italy and you will find these in the ethnic vegetable sections. We see a number of advantages to mixing greens: you get a variety of colors, textures, tastes and maturation times from the same planting. This mix has a uniquely American twist, however; they are all leaf lettuces and all sweet varieties. You won't get anything bitter or spicy. The mix will contain all the looseleaf varieties in the catalog and nearly a dozen others. Our reasoning must have struck the right note. This has become our best selling item and we continue to receive hundreds of compliments on it. "
Willit_Grow
Loysville, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2006
1:33 AM

Post #2920793

Thanks for the tip in the lettuce mix daylily_ohio. Sounds great !
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2007
7:21 AM

Post #3314712

Happy Birthday Deb :)

Susan
Willit_Grow
Loysville, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2007
11:05 AM

Post #3315231

Thanks Susan
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2007
10:02 PM

Post #3392196

I had a Chinese Weeder" But he wanted more money i said no so he Quit Chuckles
Willit_Grow
Loysville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #3394566

LOL, phicks, you better go with one like mine. I only had to pay once and it doesn't talk back to me.
Happy Gardening to ya

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America