Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Gingers: Oh That Fragrance!

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 43, Views: 735
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2006
12:43 AM

Post #2685949

I can't walk anywhere in the back yard now without running into a tendril of the White Butterfly's perfume. Wish you could upload fragrances!

I finally got some Peach .. is it just as fragrant?

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2006
1:38 AM

Post #2686096

Mine are blooming too!

Here's link that says that 'Peach' is *very* fragrant. I gather form other sources that it is different form H. coronaria 'White Butterfly'.

http://www.daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi?orchids&1157380869
Check soon; this link may become inactive at some point, being an auction.

Robert.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2006
2:22 AM

Post #2686224

Well between the Butterfly and the Brugmansia, sitting outside in my garden in the evening is an olfactory event as long as you get them separately .. the two fragrances mixed together is either extremely offensive or utterly intoxicating .. I really can't decide on which. ;-)

X
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2006
3:40 PM

Post #2687409

Robert, I made a bee-line (or is that an e-line, lol) to the LA and bought 2 gingers, one is peach and the other one is unk. Earlier in the spring I bought Thai Profusion and it has grown quite well, but I will be surprised if I see blooms this year. My pref. in gingers is #1 frag and #2 no more than 5 ft height. But if the price is right, which in this case it is, I will inconvenience myself and top them off when they get too tall

This message was edited Sep 26, 2006 7:05 PM
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2006
4:54 PM

Post #2690471

A great deal on them, vossner!

Good thing you don't have four-o'clocks and moonflower vines in the same area, too!

Robert.

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2006
1:18 AM

Post #2720694

I received my gingers from LA seller Tickisox and I am pleased beyond words. Great huge plants. Highly recommend.
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2006
1:32 AM

Post #2720794

Congrats vossner!

Xer~

I'll bet that is a powerful scent combo! My White Butterfly seems to be more fragrant at night. Love catching a whiff when I'm some distance away, not expecting it. Paradise!

Robert.
DiamondD
Baton Rouge, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2006
2:01 PM

Post #2760105

Vossner: Stokes Tropicals sells gingers and they are very healthy and good sized. I was actually shocked at the size and condition when received. Three of them came in bloom and have been in bloom since! Check out their site stokestropicals.com, I think you will be pleased. They are located in Louisiana and when I order I receive the shipment the next day!
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2006
2:26 PM

Post #2760189

Stokes has a great selection of gingers, Musas and Plumerias.

Glad to hear that the quality is good.

Robert.
DiamondD
Baton Rouge, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2006
2:40 PM

Post #2760236

Raydio: Stokes is who got me hooked on Plumerias! Is that a good thing? Absolutely. Of course they haven't bloomed [yes I purchased more than 1] but I am very excited about them. I've spent a small fortune with them in the past few months, too good, too healthy to pass up. And I find their prices are comparable. Comparable to what? To other vendors and local nurseries and the attitude of you get what you pay for. I can't speak highly enough about them.
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

September 28, 2006
3:01 AM

Post #2765241

This past spring I purchased two very special gingers from Stokes. (I've dealt with them for many years and also visited a couple of times.) When the first one bloomed, I discovered that it was not the plants I had ordered. I e-mailed them and sent them a picture of the flower.

That same day they sent me the correct gingers...no questions asked.

I could not be more please with them.

Kay
denbishpark
newyork
USA Minor Outlying Islands

October 7, 2006
8:16 AM

Post #2793354

I found the whole thing absurd and frustrating--how can you shop for something online that engages a part of the sensorium that can't be digitalized? Through words, that's how. Becoming a discount perfume at 1stperfume.com conoisseur is a bit like learning to love the opera, or wine--guidance is very helpful, if not downright necessary, in order to educate one's nose.

Thumbnail by denbishpark

linedancer
Fort McCoy, FL

October 11, 2006
10:11 PM

Post #2808206

I have just planted my first garden here in FL. I planted two varigated gingers. What should I expect from them?
birdlady_liz
Viera, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2006
5:07 AM

Post #2809321

What 2 gingers are they? There are variegated Alpinias, a v. curcuma, a v. hedychium as well as costus and zingibers. You live right by me :) I'm in Sparr.
Liz
This is a picture of Cheilocostus speciosus variegated.

Thumbnail by birdlady_liz

birdlady_liz
Viera, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2006
5:16 AM

Post #2809334

Hedychium x 'Dr. Moy' (picture)
I forgot the variegated globba and Kaempferias. :)

Thumbnail by birdlady_liz

linedancer
Fort McCoy, FL

October 14, 2006
6:11 PM

Post #2816903

Hi Birdlady!
My gingers look similar to the first one. However they have mostly yellow on the leaves with green stripes. Any ideas? I finally get to talk with someone near by.
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2006
6:25 PM

Post #2816940

Mine are still blooming. The fragrance seems stronger in the evening.

Love it when I catch a whiff carried by a gentle breeze.

Mmmmmm...
birdlady_liz
Viera, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2006
2:30 AM

Post #2818065

If green and yellow it sounds like you have Alpinia zerumbet variegated. If you'd like to stop by some time and look at the different ones and compare it to yours I would love to show you around my 'jungle'. I know what you mean, no one around my neighborhood really gardens, especially with tropicals/gingers... :)
Liz
linedancer
Fort McCoy, FL

October 15, 2006
11:37 AM

Post #2818628

Hi Birdlady!
I'd love to stop by and see your jungle. I'll have to bring my camera, too. I can't do it this coming week because I have company coming down from Massachusetts. I hope they're not coming down to stay warm. It was pretty cool here last night. I'd like to extend an invitation to come here to Salt Springs to see my garden too. It isn't all that big, but I think you might be able to give me some advice. Let me know what your address is or your tel # so we can get together.
TickiSox
Lowndesboro, AL
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2006
3:44 PM

Post #2825167

Hello everyone,
I have officially made it onto to Dave's Garden! I signed up yrs ago before it went subscription and ever since then when I would try and log on it would say that my cookies weren't enabled. Even when I used the computer at work it wouldn't go through. So I switched to TickiSox and had to use my yahoo email but I made it in this time.
I am the LA seller that Vossner was speaking of(thank you for the feedback, it was the very best!) To answer the question does Peach smell as good as coronarium, not by a long shot. Only flavescens has that honor. I have a massive clump of Peach and I think that it is the group effect of the clump rather than the individual flowers that makes the fragrance so heavenly.
I still have a few hedys blooming but the season is rapidly approaching it's end.
Hi Liz, Kabby from GW!
halo
Citra, FL

October 18, 2006
12:53 AM

Post #2826843

Welcome Kabby! I got some gingers from Kabs last year, and the butterfly gingers are blooming and are absolutely intoxicating! She just send me some huge roots of several others that I just got in the ground, cant wait to see them grow and bloom.
birdlady_liz
Viera, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2006
4:34 AM

Post #2830697

Hi Kabby, You'll like it here much better, a lot more action :) Everyone here is so nice.
Liz
linedancer
Fort McCoy, FL

October 21, 2006
1:01 PM

Post #2837359

Hi Everybody!
Where can I purchase the White Butterfly and Peach Gingers that you guys have been talking about? I'm new here. Are they easy to grow? I have some yellow and green varigated ones but I don't believe they bloom. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Gail
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2006
4:35 PM

Post #2837872

http://www.stokestropicals.com/

Several kinds there.
birdlady_liz
Viera, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2006
2:26 AM

Post #2839107

come and see me at the nursery :)
Liz
liz@gingerlandtropicals.com
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2006
5:44 PM

Post #2843185

I got mine from Tickisox, thru the lily auction. Don't see any listed right now.
DiamondD
Baton Rouge, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2006
11:37 PM

Post #2844134

I've ordered quite a few gingers from Stokes Tropicals. They arrived very healthy and several were in bloom [Siam Pink] and haven't quit blooming since. I just received 5 Heychium 'Filagree' and put them in the ground even though I know they are fixing to go dormant. I was going to try and keep them from going dormant but decided against it.

Thumbnail by DiamondD

DiamondD
Baton Rouge, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2006
11:38 PM

Post #2844137

My Siam Pink from Stokestropicals.com, how they arrived.

Thumbnail by DiamondD

DiamondD
Baton Rouge, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2006
11:39 PM

Post #2844144

And still blooming. I'd take one today but it is too dark out.

Thumbnail by DiamondD

shearpamela
Flower Mound, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2007
10:40 PM

Post #3691736

I planted my first ginger this spring - a butterfly ginger. Will it bloom for me the first year?
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2007
4:47 AM

Post #3693131

Is Flower Mound in Tarrant County?
shearpamela
Flower Mound, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2007
12:45 PM

Post #3693746

It is in Denton County, near Lewisville. I have my ginger near the patio so I can catch every drift of perfume when it blooms :-)
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2007
5:26 PM

Post #3698829

Was just cking to see if my old-heimers was letting me remember Flower Mound being north of FtW, where I am from.
I remember riding MCs out there back in the 60's. lol
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2007
12:34 AM

Post #3704917

I also planted white butterfly this spring. They're about 15" high. Like Shearpamela, I'm also wondering if mine will bloom this year? Seems a bit late now, so I'm afaid they won't. My other hedy's all have buds, but not these.
Thanks!
Deb
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2007
1:11 AM

Post #3705074

None of my BF gingers have started blooming yet this yr. I have one Crepe ginger in bloom.
We are having HUGE amts of rain. Don't know if this is affecting the BFs but my rain lilys are going nuts. They can't bloom & make seed pods b4 more rain & they send up another bloom.
Our BFs will bloom their heads off once they get enough warmth, I think. I'm just waiting for the rain to stop so we can get that famous Texas sun to warm the ground!
Don't give up on them yet! They may still bloom for you this yr but...I am not one of the authorities. Just know how they do up here on my hill!!! lol
:~)
shearpamela
Flower Mound, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2007
4:49 AM

Post #3705863

At least there is hope! It didn't rain here today, and I think the weekend is supposed to be clear...
birdlady_liz
Viera, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2007
4:18 AM

Post #3722258

There are a few factors as to wether your Hedychiums of any variety will bloom the same year or not. One of the main concerns is if the Hedychium is any early bloomer or not, because od the zone you are in you shouls concentrate on Hedychiums that would normally bloom in June or July farther south, as yours will bloom later. The other major factor is if the gingers you receive are from adult divisions or not, also if you get them through mail order packing makes a HUGE difference. You also as the new parent need to water and feed properly :)
Liz
tarantella
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2007
1:51 AM

Post #3952901

I have a Butterfly Ginger that I ordered this year and it looks nice but I see no buds. It is about 3ft tall planted in a container. I am in the Piedmont area of NC zone 7b. I am totally ignorant about this plant and have just now started feeding it with a "blossom booster" type fert. It is on my deck and gets filtered sun. It has been VERY hot here and dry but the plant has been watered almost daily if the soil seems at all dry. What should I expect in terms of bloom this year? I received it very nicely packaged along with a loquat (which is not looking so great) from a mail order place in Lafayette, LA. I am planning to bring it into my sun room during the coldest days here, but our average daytime winter temps are in the 50s
Thanks for any information on its care and feeding.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2007
6:21 PM

Post #3954930

Tarantella: Mine are about 3 ft tall, too, and no sign of blooms, yet.
Liz: I feed most of my tropicals and semi-tropials with fish emulsion. Is that good for Hedychium gingers, Butterfly in particular? I have used it on my "Moy Giant" and it has bloomed fairly well. Or should I try a special ginger food or bloom booster such as Tarantella mentioned?
Deb
birdlady_liz
Viera, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2007
10:26 PM

Post #3998736

Everyone loves fish emulsion :) Hedychium coronarium (white butterfly) can actually take full sun if it is watered enough. In your areas I would say that the more sun the better, you'll want to keep them well watered and fed well also. You won't be disappointed, if you do this. Since your growing seasons are shorter than mine you will want to assist your gingers in every way possible. Bloom booster is great, as an additive because it stimulates root growth as well as encouraging blooms. You can use super phosphate or a liquid bloom booster.
hope this helps you both.
Liz :)
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2007
11:16 PM

Post #3998899

Thanks. If mine don't bloom this year, I may move them to a sunnier spot. Glad to know I can apply the fishy stuff. :)
Deb
tarantella
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2007
6:46 PM

Post #4008815

Thanks Liz, we are not having the mid 90's temps any longer to I think I will move it out for more sun and also give it some fish emulsion.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #4012030

can milorganite substitute for fish emulsion. the daylilies thrive on milorganite. never put it on the gingers..they sure need something.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #5561065

Well! A year later and yahooo! My white butterfly is a-bloomin'. :)
Liz: Thanks for your advice. I didn't move them but I gave them their fishy stuff in spring and them some bloom booster later on.
They're not covered with blooms, but at least two stalks are blooming - and they smell gorgeous!

Next experiment, move half of them to a sunnier spot; leave the bloomers where they are. :)
Deb

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM
Anyone Know This Ginger? skaz421 11 Jun 23, 2007 2:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America