Sept 2, 2006

Falls Mills, VA

Silver Queen corn headed to the blancher and then the freezer.

Thumbnail by Virginian
Falls Mills, VA

Cows at the fence awaiting the corn shucks.

Thumbnail by Virginian
Falls Mills, VA

They got their treat.

Thumbnail by Virginian
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

You're making me hungry! We don't do corn here - Stan is desparately allergic to it (tough on a dairy farmer!) and I just can't see doing corn for one, so I've given it up, too.

How did you do with the remnants of Ernesto? Out here at the western fringe, we got 1 15/16 inches out of it. Not as much as the 'regular' rain earlier in the week. Needless to say, with all of it together, it is rather soggy out there. Stan has some more 3rd cutting to do, maybe. The cows have decided that the millet regrowth is worth the walk to the top of the hill, even in the rain. Silly creatures.

Falls Mills, VA

We had just a day of mist from Ernesto. We are actually getting more rain today. We are beginning second cutting now, but none of our fields were fertilized this year. If we fertilize next year perhaps we will get three cuttings......but whew!.....thats all I would get done next summer is mow hay!

I passed through NY state in early August. We spent one night in Oneonta. Looks like they were still getting over flooding there from back in the Spring. The Interstate was still cut in one place, we had to detour.

A neighbor of mine planted millet in a food plot for wild turkey. Two hens with about 14 little ones have hung out in the millet for the past month.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Stan said he's seen the turkeys down in the new seeding from last year, but not in the millet. Both pieces are at the far back corner of the farm, known as the piece behind Louie's (who's been dead and gone for 10 years) and the far back piece.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images