Photo by Melody

Aroids: Amorphophallus bulbifer bulblets?

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 16, Views: 219
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2006
4:44 PM

Post #2690433

Where, other than at the main division in the center top, can I expect to see bulblets form?

Robert.
bwilliams
Louisville, KY

September 4, 2006
10:01 PM

Post #2691357

They can form at almost any intersection in the leaf stems. If you plant the leaves with some stem it can form a bulblit. The oddest thing I have to say about this is Amorphophallus are aroids and all aroids produce tubers not bulbs. I am not sure why this was ever called bulbifer it should have been called tubeifer. Took me sometime to really tell the difference but a bulb will produce the leaves and flowers inside it. So if you cut open a bulb you can find the future flowers and leaves. But a tuber is just starch and nothing forms inside it is formed as it grows.
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2006
4:07 AM

Post #2692679

Yep on the tuber-bulb thing.

So far, the cutting I made is doing OK in forming a new *tuber* I haven't pulled it out of the soil lately to check.

The reason I'm asking about other places that the tubers may form is, I thought I could make a few more cuttings, and didn't want to interfere with any that would be forming naturally.

From those that you have grown, how many do you usually see form on a single plant with a leaf canopy of 24-30 inches?

Robert.
bwilliams
Louisville, KY

September 5, 2006
2:42 PM

Post #2693603

Here you can see were they usually form almost always at a stem intersection. I would allow them to form before getting cuttings. I have had very small tubers form all the way out on the far branches. I would think almost any part of the foliage could be rooted and form a tuber. But the larger the better chances you have. I have hear of leaves rooting but in most cases they rot for me.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2006
2:52 PM

Post #2693639

Hi Robert and Brian. Tubifier... lol, sounds right, though. I don't have tubifier (or bulbifier), but sure enjoyed your pic, Brian. Looks like new red potatoes invaded. How cool!
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2006
3:26 PM

Post #2693769

Thanks Brian for the info and the great pic!

(They do look like new red taters!)

I'll prolly just wait and do cuttings next year (if at all).

The leaflet tips of the one I took wilted a bit and darkened soon after I put it down.

A little while later, I took it out of the high humidity for a few days and it seemed to stop deteriorating and now I've returned it to the aquarium-incubator. Mine has always been in shade and *may* have gotten a touch of direct broken sunlight, but only very briefly. The two reports I have read on leaf cuttings say to put the cuttings in total dark. I hadn't read that at the time so I didn't do that.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me to do that and I don't know that I would have followed that advice or not, if I had known it.

It may be best to do that, I don't know...I'm just experimenting.

Robert.
bwilliams
Louisville, KY

September 5, 2006
3:50 PM

Post #2693845

Robert I have had good luck in taking the tubers off and chopping off the top leaf then planting the whole thing in about 2 to 3 inches of dirt. I get pups off of this during mid summer.
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2006
4:57 PM

Post #2694074

Brian~

Wow, that's a good idea. Great to hear it was successful.

I just checked my cutting and it seems to be rooted a bit--it's resisting a gentle tug.

Yippee!

Robert.
LindaSC
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2006
6:10 PM

Post #2694325

I'm assuming that only bulbifier does this. I only have konjak (sp?)
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2006
9:56 PM

Post #2695064

LindaSC~

The two references I read were written about it working on A. titanum. I think it might work for quite a few other Amorphs as well.

Robert.

This message was edited Sep 5, 2006 9:56 PM
LindaSC
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2006
1:53 AM

Post #2695685

I'll keep an eye out for such developments.
raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2006
1:58 AM

Post #2695739

If I had room indoors I'd make a few of my konjac just to try it. But it's getting too cool outdoors where I have room and I have no room to spare indoors.

I'll try the konjac next year for sure.

Robert.
plantaholic186
Winnetka, IL

February 10, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #4519972

Have any of you grown A. bulbifer from seed? I have a seedling, and wonder how long it will take until it flowers or 'bulbs'. Also, should I give it a dormant cold before summer?

Thumbnail by plantaholic186
Click the image for an enlarged view.

raydio
Bessemer City, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #4520779

My bulbifer turned out to be some unidentified species. I don't think I'll know what it is until it blooms.

R.
Slipperman
Portland, OR

June 13, 2008
5:27 AM

Post #5096718

What other aroids can be propagated in such a manner.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #5100726

bwilliams, the 'red taters' are quite interesting. I've grown one year before last. The plant didn't make any flower, and succumbed to root rot at the end of the season. I dug it up and discovered some bulblets (formed underground). I potted into a hanging basket, and a few days ago it sprouted for me. One of three, anyhow. I'm excited, I was afraid I would lose these unusual plant. I also discovered a seedling came from the same area the original plant was placed, even though the plant was potted in the ground pot and all, a bulblet escaped there somehow. Should I dig these up and overwinter indoor if the soil stay moist during the winter in my zone?
Thanks for any help.
Kim

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #5100737

http://davesgarden.com/tools/journal/showimage.php?eid=131066

Here it was last year.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America