Photo by Melody

Begonias: Talking about polka dots.................

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 35, Views: 592
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2006
9:13 PM

Post #2694914

This one is so hot. It is called B. Gazebo and I believe Mike Flaherty of Gazebo Plants hybridized it. I fell in love. So did everyone else and it was SOLD. About 10 of us drooled as we stood next to it and lusted over it. Lali girl has one though. PANT PANT

Thumbnail by Kell
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kathyvm
Fruitport, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2006
11:39 PM

Post #2695384

Oh that is a pretty one. What color are the flowers? I really enjoy all the pictures from everyone in the warmer climates. We never see begonias like that around here.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2006
11:53 PM

Post #2695427

I love the shape of those leaves - so lanky and graceful. And those are some bright polka dots!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2006
12:13 AM

Post #2695463

I do not know the color of the flowers. It is gorgeous though. The dots are so unusually bright. And you are right Susanne, they are so graceful. It was stunning too the way it was displayed.

Thumbnail by Kell

begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2006
1:17 AM

Post #2695600

I'm a sucker for a polka dot myself! Mike must have said a hundred times on Saturday 'That Begonia is SOLD!', still I asked more than once!

Here's another favorite polka dotter for not only the striking dots but leaf shape. 'Sierra Mountain King' (owned by our own Joolz!)

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii

kathyvm
Fruitport, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2006
2:18 AM

Post #2695833

That's a pretty one too Lali.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2006
4:43 AM

Post #2696297

Love the leaf shape. A lovely begonia.

Jackie

art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2006
2:49 PM

Post #2696989

Oooh both are so pretty! That second one almost looks like it belongs in a Japanese garden.
susancva
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2006
3:02 PM

Post #2697015

I want one! I'm curious. How much did it sell for?

Susan

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2006
3:20 PM

Post #2697064

I have no clue but I bet a lot. I just found a shot of one that Julie (Joolz the begonia gal for sure) has of Gazebo. And the flowers are PINK. LOL

The leaves look more serrated too though perhaps it is more mature. I sure like this one a lot.

Thumbnail by Kell

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2006
3:52 PM

Post #2697132

'Gazebo' reminds me of 'My Special Angel'.

Here is a small cane but loaded with dots - 'Cracked Ice'.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2006
4:01 PM

Post #2697162

WOW that is special too, Butch.

Were these all hybridized by Charles McGough?

Here is another one that was at Gazebo Plants. B. White Ice I believe from what Mike told me.

Thumbnail by Kell

susancva
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2006
4:36 PM

Post #2697268

Umm, I have a White Ice that is growing well. Thanks for the picture, something to aspire to!

Susan
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2006
4:44 PM

Post #2697292

Here is maculata which is the parent of most if not all polka dot canes. This one is nearly 5 foot tall and was a show stopper at the Miami convention. If I had one half this size...

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2006
6:41 PM

Post #2697641

Butch, I also think that Gazebo looks like My special Angel.
Love the huge dots on Cracked Ice. Packs a big punch for such a small begonia.
Like White Ice too with some of the lvs looking very dark

Jackie

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2006
7:23 PM

Post #2697731

Wel now, that Maculata has a knock out punch. LOL. I need it. I want it. Now. LOL
jerodsmom
Livermore, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2006
8:24 PM

Post #2697923

Wow !! I am going to have to get a couple of those. They are absolutely gorgeous. The only one that was mentioned that I have is B. My Special angel.
It is still just a rooted cutting.
kathyvm
Fruitport, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2006
12:56 AM

Post #2698610

Those are so beautiful. I drooling on the keyboard. I especially like the maculata. Nice picture Butch.
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2006
3:00 PM

Post #2700171

yes, Butch is correct. All canes with the polka-dots have b. maculata somewhere down the line in their parentage (or is it grandparentage?)
'My Special Angel' is a great one. I've been growing that one for a while now (Logees has it I think)

I have b. maculata and Sierra Mt. King, but mine don't look like that! (Butch's show photo!) and I can vouch for it, it was a good 5' tall and I left a trail of begonia drool behind me. It was a STUNNER! Some of the show begonias in FL. were literally unbelievable!
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2006
8:30 PM

Post #2701125

This one is tagged 'Sierra Mountain Mist' - but it's not. It could be a Bishop hybrid. But I cant say for sure.
BUT I love it for it's DOTS!

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2006
11:28 PM

Post #2720373

My recently rooted maculata is blooming already. Got 3 cuttings off ebay about 5 weeks ago, rooted them in water, potted them up about a week ago, and moved outdoors on Monday. Shot some pictures today and saw one was blooming.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2006
11:39 PM

Post #2720410

Gosh you all make me want more more more more polka dots.

Which reminds me, which pic did I put in the PlantFiles of a begonia that was wrong...I think it was one from Filoli.

Anyone know the correct ID?
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2007
4:16 PM

Post #3541434

Bumping for Begoniaboy, any new shots of Gazebo?

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2007
6:20 PM

Post #3541812

If you all (who have such wonderful cultivars of begonias) had to choose the best vendor on line...we don't have them in our nurseries here, which one or ones would you recommend ?
begoniaboy
Santa Barbara, CA

May 28, 2007
1:57 PM

Post #3544544

A few years ago I made a donation to the American Begonia Society from my store and this beautiful cane begonia was named B. 'Gazebo'. The hybridizer is Charles McGough.

Mike

This message was edited May 28, 2007 7:46 AM

Thumbnail by begoniaboy

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2007
1:59 PM

Post #3544551

Amazing...simply amazing beauty...
Somone please answer my question about good vendors that you know of...thanks
gail
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2007
4:22 PM

Post #3545064

Gail, Kartuz Nursery is a good one, Logees is too, Accent for Home and Garden has always been good for me but I see their feed back has some neg. in Watchdog.

I can't say that one is the 'Best' as each has something that I like. Kartuz has a great selection and if they are out - you can put your name on a wait list.
Logees has nice begonias too but I consistently lose about half of them because at times they are small.

I've never had a problem with Accent, I've placed numerous orders with them. And they always have some obscure variegated plant that I think I can't live without too.

You might also try Antonelli's - you can buy cane begonias from them now. I bought two dozen mixed from them a the garden show a few months ago. So far so good. I did have to repot them all as their soil wouldn't work for my house. But they have a nice selection. (Butch might comment as he bought online from them)

All of these vendors are listed in the sticky thread. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/626497/ and you can view their feedback in GWD.

Also this vendor is in Texas, maybe give them a call http://thecityofwaco.com/bonnies-greenhouse/
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #3545215

thanks so much, begoniacrazii...
I have heard about that place in Waco, but i don't remember in what context I heard something...

edited to say that I will be going to visit an adult child in June...she is only an hour away from Waco...I think I will just make that trip...loved the Sinbad and the other...
Thanks again loads,
gail

This message was edited May 28, 2007 12:03 PM
deerchaser
North Providence, RI

February 15, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #4539820

I have three different polka dot begonias and my favorite is "bubbles" because it flowers very easily with cascades of pink blooms. I got it at Logees.
begoniadude
Irving, TX

February 15, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #4540044

Hey Gessiegail... I have had great success with Taylor Greenhouses. The owner is about to add 50 plants to her website. She ships good sized healthy plants and is adding begonias all of the time.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2008
5:10 PM

Post #4542200

In September, 2007 when I went back to Mike's place, there was a B. Gazebo sitting there with no crowd around it like the year before. So I scooped it up in less than a heart beat and took it home. I love it. Good things came to me who waited. LOL

Here is another hairy polka dot. A rex I think. Anyone know the name? It is a trooper. Sat outside all winter with NO protection and it was even putting out new leaves. I need ones like this, cast iron.

Thumbnail by Kell

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #4542207

I love new leaves best.

Thumbnail by Kell

tusseemussee
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #4543099

Nothing rare or fancy here, but good ole 'Cracklin Rosie' just keeps growing...here she is at 6 1/2 feet in my sun room.

Tussee

Thumbnail by tusseemussee

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #4543104

So is your new sunroom all done, Tusssee? I am so jealous. I really am.
tusseemussee
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2008
9:06 PM

Post #4543228

Kell, the last of the outside help put the trellis work in yesterday, so now it's up to me to do the finishing touches. Here's a view of the North wall showing the 7 foot swing I told you about. Still much to do to finish this area...the swing needs another coat of paint, the seat cushion and throw pillows are being made, and I have yet to decide what to decorate the walls with. The remainder of the room is just bits and pieces so far.

Tussee

Thumbnail by tusseemussee

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #4547122

I just love the color. A great PINK!! So big too. You are a lucky girl, Miss Tussee!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM
Begonia Co-ops? Wvdaisy 27 Apr 14, 2007 9:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America