-
AuthorContent
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2006
7:30 PM

Post #2697747

Well after thinking about doing it forever, I've just called the extension service. The class actually started last night but the instructor says I just missed organizational stuff so I can still get in. In Bolivar every Tues night from 6-9 - don't know for how long.

Anyone else game? Judy, Big Daddy, Loretta? Dunno...perhaps you're already Master Gardeners though. Anyone else from Hardeman Co interested?

http://hardeman.tennessee.edu/

Carol

Edited because I am sometimes an idiot...oooops...I just looked you up in Fayete Co, Loretta. Sorry I thought you were closer.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2006 2:34 PM
shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2006
4:38 AM

Post #2699401

You're not an idiot at all but just want to share a good deal. I am not a master gardener but have inquired in the program several times. It is amazing you can get in so easy. When I lived in Shelby Co the Master Gardener program filled up way in advance. We are very close. My husband works in Toone from time to time. He is a surveyor. We really should get together sometime. You are more than welcome to come and get Brug cuttings or whatever else you fancy that I have extras to share. This time of there are always extra plants that could use a home.

Loretta
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2006
4:51 PM

Post #2700544

Oh how nice! I'd like that. Of course the problem is all this darn sod. I am forever digging it out to make room for "real plants". And I haven't even tackled the preparations of 20 treelings due sometime this month from Arbor Day to plant as a windbreak! And of course I have about 100 Irises to replant after digging and dividing a clump that was waaaaaay overdue. Makes me tired just thinking about all there is to do, but at least we've had some cooler overcast days. I get more done in the yard then.

I will come visit sometime though. Perhaps I can talk Judy into coming with me. And I do want to do a trip to Memphis Botanical Gardens also. Anytime...I work from home so I set my own hours.

Carol the exhausted
shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2006
1:18 PM

Post #2702998

Those Arbor Day "treelings" probably would have a better survival rate if potted and babied until they grow some roots. It is a nice deal but they are very small when you get them. This I know from my own experience with Arbor Day's tree offer.

Why don't you try lasagna gardening to make new beds. The winter is a perfect time and you can usually plant in the spring. I only build beds or the structures in the fall/winter. It's too darn hot in the summer around here and that makes me cranky. All of my beds are made with this method. If you want to know how to lasagna garden, let me know. We can start a thread called tips for the lazy gardener. lol

The MBG is better to visit in the spring when the tulip magnolias are bloomimg. They do have a few rare tropical water lilies that might be blooming and I imagine the roses are blooming. I got married at the MBG in the Sensory Garden. It was beautiful.

Loretta
msfarmergirl
Philadelphia, MS
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2006
1:30 PM

Post #2703021

I finally decided that this was the right time for me to look into the Master Gardener program in our area (Neshoba Cnty MS)...its something I've always wanted to do and could never find the time. Well, now all I have is time and our county doesn't offer it. I'm not ready to give up. I'm still researching but it was a disappointment.
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2006
3:34 PM

Post #2703223

Oh what a bummer Deb! Perhaps if you express enough interest, loudly enough, they'll put together a program. Heck you could probably run it for them! lol

Carol
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2006
5:42 PM

Post #2703481

oops I forgot to answer you too Loretta. I tried lasagna gardening in my new raised veggie beds this year with fairly good success. Next year will be even better!

Funny - I had just the opposite experience with arborday "treelings". (I really like that made up word.) Years ago I got 10 trees when I lived in Pittsburgh and tried potting up a couple (the evergreens I believe). Anyway they were the only 2 that didn't survive.

OK lets schedule a MBG trip at Magnolia Bloom Time!

Carol
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2006
7:39 PM

Post #2703676

Carol,

We would love to go BUT, we have so much to do before winter arrives!!!

Judy
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2006
3:28 PM

Post #2712121

Classes start tomorrow evening. I am so excited! Of course it would be awesome if you and Big Daddy were attending too, but oh well...I do understand.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2006
10:15 PM

Post #2713457

KathyAnn and I are talking about doing the Memphis Bot Gardens sometime next week, perhaps, if things work out. Perhaps you guys would like to meet us there. Shoot, we could just have our little Roundup. Ya wanna? We could just all meet at the gardens and then go on over to the Homestead Farms nursery in Coldwater MS. I think I'm free any day next week and Kathy is going to let me know which day she is free. What do y'all think?

NancyAnn
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2006
3:54 PM

Post #2715718

I'm in for the MBG trip anyway, not sure about going to Homestead farms too. The only day that's bad for me is Tuesday.

Let me know what y'all decide.

justfurkids Carol
shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2006
3:56 AM

Post #2717914

I would love to go but we are on the final push of a major renovation of our house and I can't leave while work is going on. Especially since I am the one that is supposed to be doing much of it. lol I have 800 sq ft of tile and flooring to lay, painting, and all sorts of odds and ends. That is why I probably won't be at the plant swap in Tupelo week.

We could wait for the MGB's Fall Plant sale October 6-7. I should be far enough along with the house to go then. In Coldwater, there is a store that sells lighting fixtures, lamps, shades, and finials that has super deals and selection. I have been wanting to check it out, too.

Loretta
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2006
12:54 PM

Post #2718527

Goodness gracious Loretta! Don't over-do it!
shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2006
1:49 PM

Post #2718633

Girl I already did! lol
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2006
1:58 PM

Post #2718660

Well Loretta you just stop that right now. Gotta have something to do in the winter time!
shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2006
3:09 AM

Post #2721025

Carol-There is never a shortage of things to do around here, winter or summer. Usually I do my crafts in the winter too.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America