Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Cross stitching

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

I was wondering if there are any fellow cross stitchers out there. I have just completed a birth announcement for my little goddaughter and am working on another one for her little sister who is due in three weeks. I am working like crazy to get it done. I don't know if this is the right forum or if someone could direct me to the right place. But anyhow I would love to see pictures of other cross stitchers work. Here is the announcement I just finished. Still have to frame it or have it done which is soooo expensive.

Thumbnail by buckimom
North Saanich, Canada

HI there!!! I am a cross stitcher, as well as my daughter. Got started on it when I worked in a craft store. I have not done any for awhile now, but am thinking of getting back to it for the winter. I have a couple of projects started, so should try and finish them up. This is one my daughter did for one of her best friends.

Glenda

Thumbnail by ggd
North Saanich, Canada

This one I did for an art auction a couple of years ago.

Thumbnail by ggd
North Saanich, Canada

Same cross stitch for another good friend.

Thumbnail by ggd
Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Dear ggd,
That is positively gorgeous. Makes mine look sick. Maybe I shouldn't have started this thread after all. Just kidding. My daughters are quite accomplished cross stitchers also. Here is a piece our oldest did for our 30th anniversary. Thank you for sharing that beautiful work.

Thumbnail by buckimom
Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Our youngest did this one for our kitchen after we had redone it. Like I said makes mine pale in comparison. I can't paint so I think cross stitching is the next best thing. LOL

Thumbnail by buckimom
Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Dear ggd,
Just curious do you do your own framing or have it done?

North Saanich, Canada

One my daughter did.

Thumbnail by ggd
North Saanich, Canada

One more that I did a few years ago. One thing I have learned is that I don't like to work on 14 count anymore.. I prefer 18 or 22. My daugher goes up to 32. I don't like that at all.

Thumbnail by ggd
North Saanich, Canada

Yours are gorgeous too!!!!! One thing about cross stitch, there are SO many designs!!! We could keep this thread going for a long time!!! Thanks for showing us yours. Hopefully others will jump in here and give us lots more pics, and ideas!

Glenda

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

You know I am finding I like the look of the 14 ct. less and less, but I am kind of stuck in a rut. But in all fairness to myself my old eyes and fingers can't do that sometimes and I just can't imagine doing 32 count. Oh my. Once again, beautiful pieces.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2006 11:01 PM

North Saanich, Canada

MY eyes aren't all that great either. I resorted to a magnifier that I wear on my head, and I love it.I can switch back and forth between it and the tv with no problem. You probably wouldn't find that much of a difference between 14 and 18 as far as stitching it goes. Maybe give it a try on something small and see what you think.
I did a petit point about 20 years ago, and I don't think I could ever do one again without a magnifier. I will try and get a picture of it sometime.
By the way, I very rarely frame anything myself. I long ago decided that if we were putting that much time and effort in something, it might as well be done correctly all the way! Sometimes they ARE expensive to frame, but well worth it in the end. I have done some small baby ones myself, but I think they do look much better done professionally. A few times I have gone and done them myself at a framing shop. They get everything ready and help you. That family tree one was done that way!

Glenda

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, Glenda it seems that we are the only two families who cross stitch in the whole wide world. LOL Thanks again for sharing those beautiful pieces. Truly worthy of blue ribbons.

North Saanich, Canada

Some others may jump in here at some point. Sometimes it takes awhile for people to see and read posts.
We would love to see any pictures of cross stitch projects.

Glenda

Pioneer, CA

ggd, your samplers are absolutely gorgeous!! The wedding sampler looks like Mary Levitt Embloom patterns-- I have done several of hers and absolutely love them. I'll post a picture of an angel I did a few years ago. I usually make them for someone else, and they're gone. I have one now that needs to be framed. Buckimon, is that hardanger work on your sampler ??? You gals are good!!!!!!!!!!!
I like to work on linen better then any other material, it is a lot easier for doing 1/2 and 1/4 stitches.
Jacquie

This message was edited Sep 8, 2006 2:53 PM

This message was edited Sep 8, 2006 2:54 PM

Pioneer, CA

Boy---- you'd think I'd catch the spelling mistakes the first time!!

North Saanich, Canada

Ah heck!!!! Spelling mistakes make no difference here!!!!!!!

:-)

ggd

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Dear dquimo,
I wish I could take credit for that sampler. My daughter, Jacci did it. I keep trying to get up the nerve to try, but I look really close at hers and I think no way! I agree about the linen, I have a project I will be working on during the long winter months on linen and the stitches are easier. My youngest daughter is working on the same pattern. I think we are both at the same place on it and we both started it about 2 years ago. So much to do so little time. Thanks for your post and can't wait to see pics.

Pilot Rock, OR

hello buckimom
that is beautiful work!
i too love cross stitch...alas...i have nothing to show right now at this point as everything i have done was for gifts...i did two large pics of angels watching over children for my sil
and that took me quite awhile...havent done much since then as i have several hobbies...so my time is spread out...always learning new things and lovin it...would like to do some needleweaving...was shown how to do it years ago by a lady going blind at the time..she has long since passed on but i havent forgotten what she showed me nor some of her own pieces of work ...some of which i have not seen anywhere else...so i would like to recreate some similar to it to sort of keep it alive and going somehow...
everyone....your work is wonderful!!!

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Yelp there is quite a few of us here.

Lavina

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

I am working on this as I watch the Ohio State Texas games. It is a birth announcement for my new great niece due anytime. I hope I can get it done in time. I might try framing this one myself.

Thumbnail by buckimom
Wewoka, OK(Zone 7a)

I have been xstitching for the last 25+ years. I'll try to take some pics of 2 or 3 of my favorite pieces that I still have and post them in the next day or two. My DD also stitches when she has time and loves it nearly as much as I do. However, I have several other interests and commitments besides working in town full-time so I don't get to stitch near as much as I would like to. Buckimom, this question is for you - I am going to be in Columbus OH for 2 or 3 days in the near future while my DH is attending a seminar. Do you know of any good xstitch shops that would be easy for a stranger to the area to get to? If so, I would love to know about them - I love to "look" since I'm always on the lookout for more fabric and patterns to add to my stash.

Will post pics soon

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Dear Aggie, I will check with my DD who attended Ohio State. I live about an hour from Columbus. I don't think Heather cross stitched much when she was in school though too busy studying to be a RN, but I will check with her and let you know. BTW our names are just tooo cute. Shows our allegiance for sure. LOL

Pilot Rock, OR

i hear ya about not having as much time to stitch as we would like...still have one kid in high school yet to go...he's a junior...and work full time in town...plus housework and yardwork...whew!!! ...i am tired already....plus i have a couple obligations to finish before i can settle back in to my own stuff...an afghan for my sil...which was a huge undertaking...pattern was for full...she has a king size bed...so had to modify ...it is crochet...almost done though...then i have some scrapbook pages to do for someone....so yeah...busy is like and understatement

cant wait to see your pics
hummingbird

Wewoka, OK(Zone 7a)

This is a Lavendar & Lace pattern

Thumbnail by aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK(Zone 7a)

A second Lavendar & Lace pattern

Thumbnail by aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK(Zone 7a)

And a third Lavendar & Lace pattern. I have also done several of the L & L Christmas patterns. I might post a couple of them when I have the pictures out during the holidays and can take photos of them

Thumbnail by aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK(Zone 7a)

I did this picture shortly after we made a trip to the New England states about 8 or 9 years ago

Thumbnail by aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK(Zone 7a)

I just recently finished this afghan from a pattern series in the Stoney Creek XStitch magazine. I have worked on it for several years but have done several other pieces as well as some crocheting during the same period of time. It is without a doubt, the largest piece I have ever attempted.

Thumbnail by aggiesmom
Pilot Rock, OR

all of them are absolutely beautiful...you do wonderful work...did you frame the wall pieces yourself or did you have it done for you?

Wewoka, OK(Zone 7a)

I use a shop in Shawnee, OK for most all of my work. I have a drawer full of pieces that I have done that have not been framed. I have the same opinion as GGD, if I am going to put that much work into something, I want it framed so that it is shown to it's best advantage. I have tried several different places but the lady in Shawnee also does needlework and seems to really have an eye for what my pictures need. The mat for the 3rd picture I posted is one that she cut free-handed so that it would mimic the shape of the dress. I'm not sure you can tell from the picture but it is framed in what amounts to a shadow box - probably the most stunning of the pictures she has done for me

This message was edited Sep 10, 2006 9:49 PM

North Saanich, Canada

Beautiful stuff aggiesmom!!!! Your first picture is one that my daughter did last year. I love the way the matte has been cut. If you don't mind, I would like to keep that picture, and also the one where she cut the matte freehand. The pictures will just be for my reference!!! On the picture I did of the musical instruments, I wanted to have the matte cut around the drumsticks at the top, and they wouldnt' do that. Said it would take away from the picture. but I thought it would enhance it!!

Keep up the pictures ladies!!!

Glenda

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

OMG, I am blown away by the beautiful and I mean beautiful works of art that we have been priviledged to see. Mine looks so pathetic. Like I said earlier I have a linen piece I will be working on this winter, if I remember where I put it. Linen sure makes 14 count look sad. But I am so happy to see the beautiful work. Just knowing the time and patience it must have taken to do them is mind bogling , did I spell that right? I was curious how long have you all been doing this. I think I did my first piece 6 years ago.

Pilot Rock, OR

yes they are very beautiful...i am very much humbled by them....you have every right to be proud of them...mmmm ..i would say my first piece was about 6years ago as well...just a guess though...have only done small quick projects since then...been side tracked with other projects....lol...i have too many hobbies...

Wewoka, OK(Zone 7a)

Only someone else that stitches knows how much goes into each piece that is made and can truly appreciate the beauty of each piece - I have truly enjoyed seeing everyone's work. GGD, you may certainly use the pics of any of my pieces as reference. I will mention that the 2nd piece I posted is not matted - I used a colored fabric (probably 18 count, I don't remember for sure) and let the colored fabric actually be it's own mat. I still do some larger count pieces, especially when traveling or away from home and my good light, and enjoy them as much as the finer pieces - they are just different. I have been stitching for about the last 25 years and have tried lots of different fabrics, threads, etc. during that time. I very seldom use white fabric anymore - usually sometime with a little color or texture to it is my preference. If you haven't tried using some of the different fabrics available, you would be surprised as to the difference they make. In fact, of the pics I posted of my work, the only piece that is not on a colored piece of fabric is the afghan and it is on a cream afghan fabric. When I first started stitching, most all of the patterns simply called for 10 - 16 count aida fabric but I soon learned to play with different fabrics based on the colors of thread to be used in the piece. Also, if you have used some of the newer threads like the overdyeds, etc. they really add to a piece. There are several patterns available now that actually call for them. Also using the #3 and #5 perle DMC thread changes how a piece will look if you are using a large count fabric. Thanks for the kind words about my pieces! Keep stitching and posting pics - it's fun to share!!!

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Dear Aggie,
I read where you said you had stitched for 25+ years sorry I asked again, but then again I'm not because the answer was wonderful. I can be way to cautious or uncreative when it comes to my stitching. If the pattern says a certain color I stick with it instead of trying something on my own. The announcements I am doing call for 3 threads on all the stitches. I don't know if I like that look especially, but after they are framed I will take a pic because they will look better I am sure. I have used metallic thread before and love the look it has given a piece. My youngest daughter is getting a new DC I will press her to take some pictures of the pieces I have made her and Jacci. Especially the first one I ever did. Talk about ambitious. I am just rattling on. I need to just stop. LOL

Wewoka, OK(Zone 7a)

Buckimom,

Just wondering how the birth sampler is coming that you were working on when you started this thread? I found a great xstitch shop in Columbus - spent a couple of hours in there and could have certainly spent more. They have a website so send me a d-mail if you want their site address. I've spent several hours stitching while my DH was attending his seminar - its fun to do that when you don't have to feel guilty because there are other things that you should be doing!

aggiesmom

This message was edited Oct 10, 2006 5:39 AM

Drumheller, Alberta, Canada(Zone 3a)

Hello fellow stitchers!!
What wonderful works!
Just thought I would jump in and share a couple of my works.
This pattern is an original. The Artwork was done by Donna Sloan - I created the cross stitch design. Which sometimes takes longer to do than the actual stitching! The Dinosaur is an Albertosaurus.

Thumbnail by Ccino42

I love Walt Disney Classic movies So I have created quite a few designs of those.
I also love Mirabellia designs as well as Lavender & Lace.

This one was a kit.

Thumbnail by Ccino42

My stitched Disney collection. The Snow White & Bambi designs are not mine. But the rest of them are.

Thumbnail by Ccino42

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.