Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Needle Arts: Cross stitching

Communities > Forums > Needle Arts
bookmark
Forum: Needle ArtsReplies: 250, Views: 2,271
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2006
2:20 AM

Post #2698921

I was wondering if there are any fellow cross stitchers out there. I have just completed a birth announcement for my little goddaughter and am working on another one for her little sister who is due in three weeks. I am working like crazy to get it done. I don't know if this is the right forum or if someone could direct me to the right place. But anyhow I would love to see pictures of other cross stitchers work. Here is the announcement I just finished. Still have to frame it or have it done which is soooo expensive.

Thumbnail by buckimom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

September 7, 2006
2:28 AM

Post #2698943

HI there!!! I am a cross stitcher, as well as my daughter. Got started on it when I worked in a craft store. I have not done any for awhile now, but am thinking of getting back to it for the winter. I have a couple of projects started, so should try and finish them up. This is one my daughter did for one of her best friends.

Glenda

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

September 7, 2006
2:29 AM

Post #2698948

This one I did for an art auction a couple of years ago.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

September 7, 2006
2:31 AM

Post #2698953

Same cross stitch for another good friend.

Thumbnail by ggd

buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2006
2:38 AM

Post #2698976

Dear ggd,
That is positively gorgeous. Makes mine look sick. Maybe I shouldn't have started this thread after all. Just kidding. My daughters are quite accomplished cross stitchers also. Here is a piece our oldest did for our 30th anniversary. Thank you for sharing that beautiful work.

Thumbnail by buckimom

buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2006
2:41 AM

Post #2698990

Our youngest did this one for our kitchen after we had redone it. Like I said makes mine pale in comparison. I can't paint so I think cross stitching is the next best thing. LOL

Thumbnail by buckimom

buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2006
2:43 AM

Post #2698998

Dear ggd,
Just curious do you do your own framing or have it done?
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

September 7, 2006
2:48 AM

Post #2699014

One my daughter did.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

September 7, 2006
2:50 AM

Post #2699020

One more that I did a few years ago. One thing I have learned is that I don't like to work on 14 count anymore.. I prefer 18 or 22. My daugher goes up to 32. I don't like that at all.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

September 7, 2006
3:00 AM

Post #2699067

Yours are gorgeous too!!!!! One thing about cross stitch, there are SO many designs!!! We could keep this thread going for a long time!!! Thanks for showing us yours. Hopefully others will jump in here and give us lots more pics, and ideas!

Glenda
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2006
3:00 AM

Post #2699069

You know I am finding I like the look of the 14 ct. less and less, but I am kind of stuck in a rut. But in all fairness to myself my old eyes and fingers can't do that sometimes and I just can't imagine doing 32 count. Oh my. Once again, beautiful pieces.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2006 11:01 PM
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

September 7, 2006
3:08 AM

Post #2699093

MY eyes aren't all that great either. I resorted to a magnifier that I wear on my head, and I love it.I can switch back and forth between it and the tv with no problem. You probably wouldn't find that much of a difference between 14 and 18 as far as stitching it goes. Maybe give it a try on something small and see what you think.
I did a petit point about 20 years ago, and I don't think I could ever do one again without a magnifier. I will try and get a picture of it sometime.
By the way, I very rarely frame anything myself. I long ago decided that if we were putting that much time and effort in something, it might as well be done correctly all the way! Sometimes they ARE expensive to frame, but well worth it in the end. I have done some small baby ones myself, but I think they do look much better done professionally. A few times I have gone and done them myself at a framing shop. They get everything ready and help you. That family tree one was done that way!

Glenda
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2006
9:14 PM

Post #2701251

Well, Glenda it seems that we are the only two families who cross stitch in the whole wide world. LOL Thanks again for sharing those beautiful pieces. Truly worthy of blue ribbons.
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

September 8, 2006
3:58 PM

Post #2703269

Some others may jump in here at some point. Sometimes it takes awhile for people to see and read posts.
We would love to see any pictures of cross stitch projects.

Glenda
dguimo
Pioneer, CA

September 8, 2006
9:51 PM

Post #2704017

ggd, your samplers are absolutely gorgeous!! The wedding sampler looks like Mary Levitt Embloom patterns-- I have done several of hers and absolutely love them. I'll post a picture of an angel I did a few years ago. I usually make them for someone else, and they're gone. I have one now that needs to be framed. Buckimon, is that hardanger work on your sampler ??? You gals are good!!!!!!!!!!!
I like to work on linen better then any other material, it is a lot easier for doing 1/2 and 1/4 stitches.
Jacquie

This message was edited Sep 8, 2006 2:53 PM

This message was edited Sep 8, 2006 2:54 PM
dguimo
Pioneer, CA

September 8, 2006
9:55 PM

Post #2704022

Boy---- you'd think I'd catch the spelling mistakes the first time!!
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

September 8, 2006
10:36 PM

Post #2704108

Ah heck!!!! Spelling mistakes make no difference here!!!!!!!

:-)

ggd
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2006
2:41 AM

Post #2704576

Dear dquimo,
I wish I could take credit for that sampler. My daughter, Jacci did it. I keep trying to get up the nerve to try, but I look really close at hers and I think no way! I agree about the linen, I have a project I will be working on during the long winter months on linen and the stitches are easier. My youngest daughter is working on the same pattern. I think we are both at the same place on it and we both started it about 2 years ago. So much to do so little time. Thanks for your post and can't wait to see pics.
hummingbird_1
Pilot Rock, OR

September 9, 2006
10:23 PM

Post #2706933

hello buckimom
that is beautiful work!
i too love cross stitch...alas...i have nothing to show right now at this point as everything i have done was for gifts...i did two large pics of angels watching over children for my sil
and that took me quite awhile...havent done much since then as i have several hobbies...so my time is spread out...always learning new things and lovin it...would like to do some needleweaving...was shown how to do it years ago by a lady going blind at the time..she has long since passed on but i havent forgotten what she showed me nor some of her own pieces of work ...some of which i have not seen anywhere else...so i would like to recreate some similar to it to sort of keep it alive and going somehow...
everyone...your work is wonderful!!!
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2006
10:35 PM

Post #2706973

Yelp there is quite a few of us here.

Lavina
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2006
1:56 AM

Post #2707592

I am working on this as I watch the Ohio State Texas games. It is a birth announcement for my new great niece due anytime. I hope I can get it done in time. I might try framing this one myself.

Thumbnail by buckimom

aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2006
12:11 PM

Post #2708541

I have been xstitching for the last 25+ years. I'll try to take some pics of 2 or 3 of my favorite pieces that I still have and post them in the next day or two. My DD also stitches when she has time and loves it nearly as much as I do. However, I have several other interests and commitments besides working in town full-time so I don't get to stitch near as much as I would like to. Buckimom, this question is for you - I am going to be in Columbus OH for 2 or 3 days in the near future while my DH is attending a seminar. Do you know of any good xstitch shops that would be easy for a stranger to the area to get to? If so, I would love to know about them - I love to "look" since I'm always on the lookout for more fabric and patterns to add to my stash.

Will post pics soon
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2006
12:18 PM

Post #2708562

Dear Aggie, I will check with my DD who attended Ohio State. I live about an hour from Columbus. I don't think Heather cross stitched much when she was in school though too busy studying to be a RN, but I will check with her and let you know. BTW our names are just tooo cute. Shows our allegiance for sure. LOL
hummingbird_1
Pilot Rock, OR

September 10, 2006
4:28 PM

Post #2709228

i hear ya about not having as much time to stitch as we would like...still have one kid in high school yet to go...he's a junior...and work full time in town...plus housework and yardwork...whew!!! ...i am tired already...plus i have a couple obligations to finish before i can settle back in to my own stuff...an afghan for my sil...which was a huge undertaking...pattern was for full...she has a king size bed...so had to modify ...it is crochet...almost done though...then i have some scrapbook pages to do for someone...so yeah...busy is like and understatement

cant wait to see your pics
hummingbird
aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2006
1:30 AM

Post #2710688

This is a Lavendar & Lace pattern

Thumbnail by aggiesmom

aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2006
1:31 AM

Post #2710692

A second Lavendar & Lace pattern

Thumbnail by aggiesmom

aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2006
1:33 AM

Post #2710705

And a third Lavendar & Lace pattern. I have also done several of the L & L Christmas patterns. I might post a couple of them when I have the pictures out during the holidays and can take photos of them

Thumbnail by aggiesmom

aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2006
1:37 AM

Post #2710718

I did this picture shortly after we made a trip to the New England states about 8 or 9 years ago

Thumbnail by aggiesmom

aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2006
1:40 AM

Post #2710728

I just recently finished this afghan from a pattern series in the Stoney Creek XStitch magazine. I have worked on it for several years but have done several other pieces as well as some crocheting during the same period of time. It is without a doubt, the largest piece I have ever attempted.

Thumbnail by aggiesmom

hummingbird_1
Pilot Rock, OR

September 11, 2006
2:11 AM

Post #2710841

all of them are absolutely beautiful...you do wonderful work...did you frame the wall pieces yourself or did you have it done for you?
aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2006
2:48 AM

Post #2711026

I use a shop in Shawnee, OK for most all of my work. I have a drawer full of pieces that I have done that have not been framed. I have the same opinion as GGD, if I am going to put that much work into something, I want it framed so that it is shown to it's best advantage. I have tried several different places but the lady in Shawnee also does needlework and seems to really have an eye for what my pictures need. The mat for the 3rd picture I posted is one that she cut free-handed so that it would mimic the shape of the dress. I'm not sure you can tell from the picture but it is framed in what amounts to a shadow box - probably the most stunning of the pictures she has done for me

This message was edited Sep 10, 2006 9:49 PM
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

September 11, 2006
3:14 AM

Post #2711087

Beautiful stuff aggiesmom!!!! Your first picture is one that my daughter did last year. I love the way the matte has been cut. If you don't mind, I would like to keep that picture, and also the one where she cut the matte freehand. The pictures will just be for my reference!!! On the picture I did of the musical instruments, I wanted to have the matte cut around the drumsticks at the top, and they wouldnt' do that. Said it would take away from the picture. but I thought it would enhance it!!

Keep up the pictures ladies!!!

Glenda
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2006
4:01 AM

Post #2711164

OMG, I am blown away by the beautiful and I mean beautiful works of art that we have been priviledged to see. Mine looks so pathetic. Like I said earlier I have a linen piece I will be working on this winter, if I remember where I put it. Linen sure makes 14 count look sad. But I am so happy to see the beautiful work. Just knowing the time and patience it must have taken to do them is mind bogling , did I spell that right? I was curious how long have you all been doing this. I think I did my first piece 6 years ago.
hummingbird_1
Pilot Rock, OR

September 11, 2006
4:28 AM

Post #2711215

yes they are very beautiful...i am very much humbled by them...you have every right to be proud of them...mmmm ..i would say my first piece was about 6years ago as well...just a guess though...have only done small quick projects since then...been side tracked with other projects...lol...i have too many hobbies...
aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2006
10:18 AM

Post #2711500

Only someone else that stitches knows how much goes into each piece that is made and can truly appreciate the beauty of each piece - I have truly enjoyed seeing everyone's work. GGD, you may certainly use the pics of any of my pieces as reference. I will mention that the 2nd piece I posted is not matted - I used a colored fabric (probably 18 count, I don't remember for sure) and let the colored fabric actually be it's own mat. I still do some larger count pieces, especially when traveling or away from home and my good light, and enjoy them as much as the finer pieces - they are just different. I have been stitching for about the last 25 years and have tried lots of different fabrics, threads, etc. during that time. I very seldom use white fabric anymore - usually sometime with a little color or texture to it is my preference. If you haven't tried using some of the different fabrics available, you would be surprised as to the difference they make. In fact, of the pics I posted of my work, the only piece that is not on a colored piece of fabric is the afghan and it is on a cream afghan fabric. When I first started stitching, most all of the patterns simply called for 10 - 16 count aida fabric but I soon learned to play with different fabrics based on the colors of thread to be used in the piece. Also, if you have used some of the newer threads like the overdyeds, etc. they really add to a piece. There are several patterns available now that actually call for them. Also using the #3 and #5 perle DMC thread changes how a piece will look if you are using a large count fabric. Thanks for the kind words about my pieces! Keep stitching and posting pics - it's fun to share!!!
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2006
11:19 AM

Post #2711568

Dear Aggie,
I read where you said you had stitched for 25+ years sorry I asked again, but then again I'm not because the answer was wonderful. I can be way to cautious or uncreative when it comes to my stitching. If the pattern says a certain color I stick with it instead of trying something on my own. The announcements I am doing call for 3 threads on all the stitches. I don't know if I like that look especially, but after they are framed I will take a pic because they will look better I am sure. I have used metallic thread before and love the look it has given a piece. My youngest daughter is getting a new DC I will press her to take some pictures of the pieces I have made her and Jacci. Especially the first one I ever did. Talk about ambitious. I am just rattling on. I need to just stop. LOL
aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2006
12:17 PM

Post #2741742

Buckimom,

Just wondering how the birth sampler is coming that you were working on when you started this thread? I found a great xstitch shop in Columbus - spent a couple of hours in there and could have certainly spent more. They have a website so send me a d-mail if you want their site address. I've spent several hours stitching while my DH was attending his seminar - its fun to do that when you don't have to feel guilty because there are other things that you should be doing!

aggiesmom

This message was edited Oct 10, 2006 5:39 AM
Ccino42
Drumheller, Alberta
Canada
(Zone 3a)

October 9, 2006
1:45 PM

Post #2799770

Hello fellow stitchers!!
What wonderful works!
Just thought I would jump in and share a couple of my works.
This pattern is an original. The Artwork was done by Donna Sloan - I created the cross stitch design. Which sometimes takes longer to do than the actual stitching! The Dinosaur is an Albertosaurus.

Thumbnail by Ccino42

Ccino42
Drumheller, Alberta
Canada
(Zone 3a)

October 9, 2006
1:51 PM

Post #2799786

I love Walt Disney Classic movies So I have created quite a few designs of those.
I also love Mirabellia designs as well as Lavender & Lace.

This one was a kit.

Thumbnail by Ccino42

Ccino42
Drumheller, Alberta
Canada
(Zone 3a)

October 9, 2006
2:03 PM

Post #2799842

My stitched Disney collection. The Snow White & Bambi designs are not mine. But the rest of them are.

Thumbnail by Ccino42

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 9, 2006
3:31 PM

Post #2800111

This is so timely just this morning I was thinking about getting this out and finishing it. I started it 3 years ago as a Christmas present for my daughter and itís almost done. Last year I didnít work on it at all. This is the only project I've been working on so you can tell I haven't been doing much Stitching for a while. Everyoneís work is just beautiful. Over the years I have made many different things but I donít have any at home since I usually give them as presents. I too am having trouble seeing I work at a table with a lighted magnifying glass.

Glenda your wedding cross stitch is beautiful, I made my daughter her ring pillow. After the wedding it turned up missing and one day a couple of years after the wedding I was talking to my Mom and mentioned how upset I was that it had gotten lost and it turned out she had it packed away and didnít know we were looking for it

Aggiesmom your afghan would look beautiful in my downstairs bedroom. Itís sponge painted in yellow and white with white molding and a hydrangea wallpaper boarder the white lace curtains have a birdhouse design. I have a hydrangea wreath and a large pot of hydrangeas. There are different birdhouses some are terracotta in different shapes some tin and some my husband made and I painted. Iíll have to look for that pattern I donít subscribe to that magazine or can you buy it at a craft shop?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 9, 2006
3:37 PM

Post #2800139

By the way the fabric you see in the backround is going to be used around the edge of the hanging.
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2006
6:57 PM

Post #2800785

I finally got my DC back from my daughter! Here is a pic of my progress to date. I will show you all the finished one when I have it framed.

Thumbnail by buckimom

aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2006
10:47 AM

Post #2802916

Ccino42, I could be envious of your ability to create designs. And, I can certainly believe that it would take longer to create the design than to actually stitch it. I have in my mind a large picture I would like to do but cannot seem to find a pattern that matches the image in my mind. I am aware of some software that is advertised as xstitch design software but don't think I have the patience and/or talent for that part of the stitching.

HollyAnnS, thanks for the kind words. I haven't decided exactly where and how I will display the afghan but I do plan on keeping it out for "show". As to the pattern, I don't think it is available except over a two-year period of time in the magazine. However, I do know the publisher has some back issues for sale. If you are interested in contacting them, drop me a D-mail and I will get their information for you.

Buckimom, the birth sampler looks great. I did samplers for both of my children when they married (within 7 months of each other) and can hardly wait until I can do birth samplers. Has anyone done the Lavendar & Lace birth announcement? I've had the pattern for several years but haven't had that kind of time to spend on a gift.

It's really a lot of fun to see and share in other's work. Too bad we are so spread out or we could have a "stitch-in". Several of the shops I am aware of have classes and retreats - one of these days I am going to have the time and money to participate in one of the retreats; the classes are not practical since I live about 80 miles from the nearest shop.

Have a great day and remember to stitch a little every day!
denise
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2006
11:47 AM

Post #2803004

Here is my baby birth announcement for little Abby before I frame it. I'm so glad I started this thread. I am sure there has been one before since cross stitching is so popular and so much fun. I sure do enjoy seeing other's handy work. Aggie,it would be fun to stitch together. I don't think the JoAnn's here offers anything like a stitch-in or retreat. What a great idea. Take care and stitch away. LOL

This message was edited Oct 11, 2006 9:43 PM
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2006
1:44 AM

Post #2808740

Here is the announcement. Oops.

Thumbnail by buckimom

Mahnot
DFW area, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2006
5:53 AM

Post #2809374

They are all lovely. Thanks for sharing.

As I used to do cross stitching, I know all the work
that went into these. Beautiful work.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2006
10:41 PM

Post #2826460

Hi, all. I just found this thread. What a talented bunch you are. I do lots of needlework, but I think counted cross-stitch is my favorite. I find it so relaxing. I haven't finished anything new recently, but here are some pieces I have hanging in my home.

this is Monet's Garden at Giverny

Thumbnail by grampapa

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2006
10:42 PM

Post #2826462

Rocky Mountain Christmas

Thumbnail by grampapa

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2006
10:48 PM

Post #2826486

this is a series of the Bridges of Madison County in summer, fall , winter & spring
the pics are bad (took them in a hurry one day). they are all framed, you can see part of the frame in the winter one

Thumbnail by grampapa

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2006
10:55 PM

Post #2826503

and Miss Hathaway's Garden (Anne Hathaway who married Wm Shakespeare)

thanks, Buckimom for starting this thread. I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's beautiful work. thanks to everyone else for sharing!

gram ~a girl~

Thumbnail by grampapa

buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2006
10:19 AM

Post #2827901

Dear Gram,
How beautiful! I especially love the Rocky Mt. Christmas. I am working on a piece by Paula Vaughn called "Victory Garden" right now. I started it in Nov. of 2003. Isn't that a hoot. It is very difficult and I get pretty frustrated with it at times, but I am going to stick with it. I know how much work you put into your works of art, though. Congratulations on a job well done.
aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2006
5:52 PM

Post #2828814

Gram,
Beautiful work!!!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2006
6:07 PM

Post #2828866

thank you both. I think it takes another stitcher to really appreciate what goes into it :-)

buckimom, I LOVE Paula! I have a quilt that I made of her a group of her designs. when I get a chance to take a pic I'll post it. she is absolutely one of my favorite artists. combines all of my best things...x-stitch, quilting and gardening. how much better can it get? I know Victory Garden..it will be gorgeous.

gram

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2006
5:36 AM

Post #2921315

Thanks for all the beautiful pieces to enjoy. I'm a stitcher from a long time back. Don't do too much anymore - have started tatting and hardanger again tho. :)
aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2006
11:02 AM

Post #2921472

Kooger,
I have my grandmother's tatting "needle" (is it a needle?) but I don't have a clue what to do with it. She never tatted after I came along as far as I know. Do you think it is something I could teach myself given the right book(s)?

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2006
11:05 AM

Post #2921474

Hi. I always wanted to learn to tat, too. I had a great-aunt that made the prettiest things. and I had an elderly neighbor that I used to give veggies from my garden, and she gave me notecards she made with little tatted flowers...so pretty.

gram ~a girl~

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2006
2:37 PM

Post #2921927

It's actually a shuttle. I learned from a book - if you can learn things like that from a book, like crocheting or knitting, you'll be able to pick it up. Many people cannot make the translation and need human teachers. One of the few things I can do - learn from a book - ha ha! If you have ever done macrame, you are familiar with the lark's head (square knot) and that is the only knot used in tatting. It's just done continuously. You CAN do it!!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2006
6:41 PM

Post #2922625

sounds easy when you put it that way, kooger. I only every did macrame once, and that was a looooong time ago. sounds like a good project for this winter...learn to tat!
MzWeazelle
Shelton, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2006
6:50 PM

Post #2922643

ggd:

I've got the same wedding couple & flowergirl about 99% finished, but it's been years (literally) in the making. I had to quit once because of trouble with my hands and it took ages to start on it again. I can't imagine doing the project twice!
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

November 19, 2006
12:16 AM

Post #2926076

MzWeazelle: My daughter did both of those, for two best friends of hers that got married. She literally spent every waking moment doing them, when she wasn't at work. Of course she had nothing else to do because she lived at home and Mom did everything else!!! LOL
She really loves to cross stitch and always has one on the go.

ggd
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2006
3:42 AM

Post #2949599

Ladies, I am impressed by all your work... gorgeous work... really art at its best! I just found this thread... I love cross stich but I haven't done any since last year... busy with school and I started gardening... not enough time for all my passions...

here are some of my towels and yes, I use it... my mom is so talented and most of what I have she did it for me...

Thumbnail by Kassia

Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2006
3:44 AM

Post #2949604

my very first one... this is old... very old...

Thumbnail by Kassia

Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2006
3:46 AM

Post #2949612

cross stich, hardanger and macrame...

Thumbnail by Kassia

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2006
6:48 AM

Post #2949753

Beautiful work!!
aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2006
10:27 AM

Post #2949856

Kassia,
The work is gorgeous! Thanks for posting.
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2006
2:07 PM

Post #2950292

you're welcome... I am dying for some time to finish some of my 1000+ started projects...
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2007
3:18 AM

Post #3112599

Everyone's work is gorgeous! I have to share...this took me forever and a day. They framing could have been better but this has turned into an heirloom piece to pass down.

Kristi

Thumbnail by knolan

pjank46
Selma, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2007
4:07 AM

Post #3112767

Love that dragon pic, knoland, I haven't done any stitched ones but I'm collecting pics for a dragon scrapbook, never did scrapebooking before either,.
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2007
4:20 AM

Post #3112801

Thanks pjank! It was an effort that I truly enjoyed. Good luck on the project. I have lot's of neat dragon books.
aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2007
10:10 AM

Post #3113071

Beautiful work!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2007
9:53 PM

Post #3115095

kristi, that's gorgeous. I can see why it took so long. beautiful work! my grown son loves dragons and I always thought I'd do one for him...maybe I still will. :-)
kmrainwater
Riddle, OR

January 25, 2007
9:53 PM

Post #3122304

Thank you so much buckimom! I have only been stitching for 4 years now and I've been looking for a user-friendly forum to share my projects and view others. So many out there are so difficult to understand. My mother-in-law introduced me to stitching and besides her I only know of two other stitchers. It's such a shame the younger generations aren't interested in handwork anymore!

Paula Vaughan: The Quilter
I did this for my mother's 49th birthday. She had been begging me for something so I surprised her with two framed Paula Vaughan projects. She is a quilter and seamstress so I thought these would be fitting.

Done in off-white aida, 18 count.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2007 3:54 PM

Thumbnail by kmrainwater

kmrainwater
Riddle, OR

January 25, 2007
10:02 PM

Post #3122332

Here is the second part of my mother's birthday gift...

Paula Vaughan: The Seamstress
Done in off-white aida, 18 count

Thumbnail by kmrainwater

kmrainwater
Riddle, OR

January 25, 2007
10:12 PM

Post #3122356

This is my very first project done on linen. It took me two years to work up the courage to start it. I made it for my "wedding wall" in my hallway.

Paula Vaughan: Inspired by Scripture Part III; Genesis

Done on off-white linen; 36 count.

Thumbnail by kmrainwater

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2007
10:50 PM

Post #3122466

Hey, I think we have the same book! LOL All three of those are gorgeous, kmrainwater! I like the idea of having a wedding wall, too. Hmmm...
kmrainwater
Riddle, OR

January 26, 2007
3:38 AM

Post #3123549

I was blessed last year to become a mother, a daughter, 10 months old (how time flies). I really wanted her first Christmas gift to be special, something that would last a life time. What do you give a 9 month old! I was digging through some old magazines I had and came across some Teresa Wentzler patterns and fell in love...Rocking Horses. Perfect for a baby girls room! I decided to make one for Christmas and one for her first birthday. I hope someday she'll love them as much as I do!

Teresa Wentzler: Sweetheart
Done on off-white linen, 32 count

I'm backstitching the finishing touches on the second one, Misty, so hopefully it'll be done by the end of the month! Who knows with a baby around, not much time left for stitching! She's more than worth it!

Thumbnail by kmrainwater

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2007
1:24 PM

Post #3124222

Ya dun good!! Beautiful work, kmrainwater. :)
knolan
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2007
7:13 PM

Post #3125432

Beautiful work!
kmrainwater
Riddle, OR

January 26, 2007
10:53 PM

Post #3126205

Thank you for your kind words. I am very much in love with the patterns from Lavender & Lace and will be attempting my first one hopefully next month. I'll let you know how it goes...
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2007
12:35 AM

Post #3126542

that's lovely and I know it will be special to your daughter

gram
aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2007
10:25 AM

Post #3127341

kmrainwater,
Looks like you do beautiful work! Teresa Wentlzer, Paula Vaughn and Lavender & Lace are among my very favorite designers. I have been stitching for 20+ years and have a very large collection of patterns. In fact, I have most of the L & L patterns just in case I want to work on them sometime - I've always lived miles & miles from the xstitch stores so have to depend on mailorder in between trips to OKC or Tulsa for supplies. I have a rather large stash of patterns, fabric & threads and its lots of fun. I think you will love the L & L patterns - which one are you going to do? My original posts include 3 of the L & L that I have done and I have done several of the Xmas L & L patterns. My DD (28) is also a very accomplished stitcher and has been stitching since she was about 6 or 7 when I taught her to stitch to help pass the time on our long trips (10+ hours) from CO to grandparents in TX & AZ. Keep posting those pics of finished work - all of us that stitch love looking at other's work.
kmrainwater
Riddle, OR

January 27, 2007
5:07 PM

Post #3128370

aggiesmom: Thank you so much! I also am from a small community where needlework patterns are nonexistent, so I really am lucky to have internet. I think I have collected almost all of the Paula Vaughan patterns, my favorite! It wasn't until reciently I discovered L&L and the Told in a Garden website. I think I might have a new favorite! The patterns looks so complicated and so I've been very intimidated to even think I could make one, but recently decided to try one. I purchased Enchanted Alphabet, I love, for my daughter's room. The pattern looks very easy, I was happy to see, as I have so little time to dedicate right now.

I have admired, more than once, the patterns you have posted. The afghan is amazing, I showed it to my mother-in-law and she about leaped out of her skin. I too love looking at others finished work. I can't wait to teach my daughter, I hope she enjoys these kinds of things.
aggiesmom
Wewoka, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2007
11:30 AM

Post #3130502

kmrainwater,
One hint for working on a large or complicated pattern (if you already know this, disregard this post) - most patterns have heavier lines every 10 squares so I number those across the top and either number or letter them down the side. Then I recopy the pattern into smaller (and larger) sections, usually quarters. That way, I only work on part of the pattern at a time and I seem to have much less trouble with losing my place. I also sometimes use a highlighter to mark off each row as I finish it. Feel free to contact me by d-mail or on this thread if I can help you. Although the L & L patterns look complicated, I have found them to be very easy to work with, especially by dividing them into smaller sections. Another advantage of doing that is your pattern doesn't wear through and become impossible to read on the fold lines.

aggiesmom (denise)
girlsmom
Fort Worth, TX

February 9, 2007
10:44 PM

Post #3173436

Hi ladies! I just discovered this board. I have been on oanother 123stitch for 8 years. I have been cross stitching for 30 years. Will post pics later. I use 25 ct lugana for just about everything. Hope we can keep this thread going.

Wanda
Dovecote
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2007
3:48 AM

Post #3222310

Hi, I'm new to the forum and just discovered this thread. I've been doing counted cross stitch on linen for about 20 years. Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum (L&L, Told in a Garden, Butternut Road) is my very favorite designer. Love working with all of the special threads and the beads. Nora Corbett (Mirabellia) is my next favorite and is Marilyn's daughter. I've finished several of the large L&L designs and work up the smaller free designs found at both of their websites as quick & easy gifts. I'm not quite sure how to post photos here or I would. I have several saved on my hosting website.

It's nice to see so many others who are interested in fine handwork. It's rapidly becoming a lost art.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #3222911

Wanda, please do come back and post some pics.

Dovecote, not sure if you can load your pic direct from your host. if you can copy them back down to your local computer, just click on 'browse' where it says 'image' below where you type in your post, then click on the pic you want to include.

if your pictures are on a public web site you can add a link here. just copy it from your browser window (highlight it, right click, copy), then come back here and right click again in your post and paste

jan (aka gram)...we'd sure love to see them
monida
Calgary
Canada

July 9, 2007
4:55 AM

Post #3713667

Looking for Royal Doulton cross stitch patterns. I am not a cross stitcher but my mother is and I am trying to track down patterns for her. Any help anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2007
12:59 PM

Post #3714228

Here's a kit. It's not actually cross-stitch, but instead is crewel embroidery: http://cgi.ebay.com/Royal-Doulton-BALLOON-MAN-in-Crewel-embroidery-kit_W0QQitemZ320001957249QQihZ011QQcategoryZ28142QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The company who put this one out is "Crown Elegance." They must not have made very many, because they are extremely hard to find!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 17, 2007
3:48 PM

Post #3867547

I love cross stitch, I made a lot of projects from the Love of Cross Stitch which has been discontinued I love to cross stitch flowers and baby things.

I cross stitch many gifts. Towels, baby bibs, baby blankets and baby bath towel wraps the cross stitch is added to the outside of the hood.

I have done lots of needlepointe and I love to crochet and knit.

Looking for new friends.

Have a great day

Blanket

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2007
4:14 PM

Post #3867645

I used to x-stitch daily but seldom do so anymore. Blame it on the pc, I guess. :)
Laura

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 17, 2007
4:33 PM

Post #3867700

I find that I start with a very small project to get back into cross stitch and that gives the desire to do something bigger.

Laura do you have any other craft hobbies.

Blanket

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2007
5:41 PM

Post #3867914

Oh yeah, lots! ha ha ... used to sell at craft shows back in the 80's. I had a daycare and worked on crafts while the kids napped. I've done lots of tatting, some ribbon work, some crewel, beginning crochet and knitting, macrame, beading and wood crafts. It seems I love to try new stuff all the time. I grew broom corn and made some brooms - demonstrated that at the local school. That was fun. :) I don't have enough time to try everything that looks interesting. Stained glass windows is something I really want to do too.
kimichan
Springfield, MA

August 28, 2007
6:45 PM

Post #3910358

I have several of the cross stitch patterns for the Royal Doulton figurines in my 'for sale' box. The ladies I have are Jennifer, Deborah, Barbara, Amy, Laura, Elizabeth, Michele, and sort of a GWTW-looking figure titled 'Top O' The Hill'. If anyone is still looking for these, let me know.

I also posted this message on the thread specific to this topic. Not trying to spam anyone here, just didn't know which, if either, of these two threads were still active.
MrsKinsey
Goldsboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2007
5:19 PM

Post #4012099

I just found this forum and I have to admit, I can't pass up a forum where people are talking X-stitch!! :) I have a few projects that I entered in the state fair this year. Each won second place in it's category. There are a few that I'm preparing to do too. Here is the first one. My husband is a huge tractor afficianado so I made this for him.

Thumbnail by MrsKinsey

MrsKinsey
Goldsboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2007
5:20 PM

Post #4012103

Here is the other one I entered in the fair. It looks a lot better framed.

Thumbnail by MrsKinsey

MrsKinsey
Goldsboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2007
5:24 PM

Post #4012125

Here is the next project I want to start although it looks a little daunting. It has a finished size of 11x16. The entire thing is stitched. Here goes nothing, right? :)

Thumbnail by MrsKinsey

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2007
2:25 PM

Post #4030336

Beautiful work! Good luck on the new project -- it's gonna take a while but I'm sure you can do it. :)
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2008
8:03 PM

Post #4587052

I am so glad to have found this thread. I have just started to really get into cross stitching and I always go gun ho on supplies and patterns. I am starting to do my own charts with graph paper and colored pencils. Maybe some where down the line we could do a pattern exchange. Any feed back on that would be appreciated. Let me know and we can set something up. Maybe someone is looking for a certain subject matter and we could exchange or trade. Any ideas on this?
Jan
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #4587929

Hi, everyone I was so surprised to see this thread is still going. I have had some medical issues of late and haven't been feeling like stitching, but I think you all could really get me back in the mood. Take care and God bless. P.S. I love the idea of exchanging patterns.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #4587999

Thank you for the feedback Buckimom. I am also recovering from a medical situation. I had to have hand surgery and doing cross stitch has been part of my recovery to myself. I had bones fused and some removed and as I am an artist it is imperitive that I get my hands working again. Soon as I get a little more feedback re: pattern and chart exchange, can figure something out. Good luck on your recovery. Exchanging comforting words and good company is always good food for the soul.
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2008
11:36 AM

Post #4589741

Dear Gourdbeader,
Our youngest DD got married last Sept. and is pregnant and due in Oct. So I definitely have to do either a first anniversary gift of a wedding crossstitch or the baby announcement. Or both! LOL . I was diagnosed with breast cancer last August. and have had three surgeries and I am now just finishing up my radiation treatments. Today is the last one! Yippee! I am just now feeling very tired from the treatments at times. But I know that will go away. I hope so because I have a lot of crossstitching to do. Keep in touch, okay?
Erynne
Orangeville, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 26, 2008
2:58 PM

Post #4590368

Hi buckimom,
I just saw this thread and congrats on your last treatment! I hope you pick up your needle again very soon!
I cross stitched quite a bit before and shortly after the birth of my first son who is now 14 years old. By the time he was 1 years old, I put all of my cross stitch stuff away because I had no time for it. Then came my second son, there was little hope of quiet time for my crafts,lol. In the last year, I've picked up again and so glad that I did!
My projects are not as fancy and detailed as the lovely ones shown earlier in this thread but time is still at a premium around here. I do what I can, usually for an hour or two in the late evening.
I like designs by Little House Needleworks, Cottage Country Needleworks, Sue Hillis, Jeannette Douglas, Lynn Nicoletti, and many more. I don't like designs that are too cartoony like Disney stuff.
My preferred fabby these days is Belfast linen. I do like aida though for some things as it stitches up fast!
Here are a few pics of my projects:

Ornament from JCS 2007 ornament issue "Merry & Bright"

Thumbnail by Erynne

Erynne
Orangeville, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 26, 2008
2:59 PM

Post #4590372

LHN Cherry Tree Inn which I started on Christmas Eve 2007. Gotta get it framed!

Thumbnail by Erynne

Erynne
Orangeville, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 26, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #4590383

A little pillow made for my son. This is a retired Pine Mountain Middles Pillow kit.

Thumbnail by Erynne

Erynne
Orangeville, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 26, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #4590388

Snowman Kit by Sue Hillis. This was a fun one!

Thumbnail by Erynne

Erynne
Orangeville, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 26, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #4590390

Merry Christmas Pinkeep from the JCS orn issue 2007. I have yet to make it into an ornament but will get to it soon.

Thumbnail by Erynne

Erynne
Orangeville, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 26, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #4590399

Meow! This one I stitched many moons ago but finally made it into an ornament in time to decorate 2007's Christmas tree.

Thumbnail by Erynne

Erynne
Orangeville, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 26, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #4590486

Work in Progress (WIP). This is the Mississauga Sampler by Jeannette Douglas Designs, which can be exclusively bought at Gitta's in Port Credit, Mississauga. There are some funky stitches that I'd never done before so it's going a little slow but that's okay right?! Sorry about the wrinkley fabric but this one gets toted around with on the go.

Thumbnail by Erynne

Erynne
Orangeville, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 26, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #4590498

Another WIP by Dimensions Gold Collection "The Finery of Nature Tapestry Sampler".
This one I'm making for my new house which we are moving into in May. It's tough going working on black fabby but I just had to do this one.

Thumbnail by Erynne

Erynne
Orangeville, ON
(Zone 4b)

February 26, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #4590506

Here's what the Finery of Nature should look like when it's done.
Photo is from caryn and richards cross stitch (seller on ebay) where I bought the kit from.

Thanks for looking!
Erynne

Thumbnail by Erynne

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2008
3:55 AM

Post #4611171

Since I am still a newbie to cross stitch but already addicted I have lots of questions. I want so bad to do some work on linen but I'm afraid to begin as the stitches will be so much smaller won't they? I mean, the linen is so tightly wover how do you know where to put the needle. In the aida cloth its very easy to see, how do you do it???
I found a great information source but it doesn't tell me everything I want to know. What is your favorite way to hold your fabric. I bought one of those lap frames that you sit on and I love it. I was wondering about the floor frames. Any feedback on those?
Angiesmom, your work is lovely. Is your work on the back side as nice as on the front? I took a piece in to be framed and he commented that he could tell how long someone has been stitching by the way the back side looked. Hum, I wonder what he thought of mine really. He said it looked great but I think he was being kind. Heheh.
Jan

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #4612091

Hi Jan,
Working on linen is not difficult. I've only had one that was a really difficult fabric as the weave was very loose. I had to be very careful with the thread tension to keep it even. Many patterns are worked over two threads of linen instead of one. Particularly if the count is over 30 or 40 threads per inch. On those, your actual stitch count is then 15 to 20 per inch.

I have worked some linen in single stitch and those are very, very tiny stitches. lol One pattern I did was a woman holding a baby and the faces of each and the mother's hands were worked in single stitch, while the rest of the piece was over double threads. It really made a lovely look to those flesh parts.

I prefer working between my fingers. I hold the fabric taut between my pointer and middle finger at the top and my thumb and pinkie at the bottom. The ring finger kinda backs up the pinkie at the bottom. Don't know if that makes sense, but if you're not very experienced, try it on small pieces first. I just roll up the fabric to the area where I am working.

Laura (whose stitching looks almost as good on the back as the front - lol)
deeskid57
Owensboro, KY

March 9, 2008
4:31 AM

Post #4640768

Hi all...I've been an obsessive cross stitcher since 1981...I use scroll frames to keep the fabric tight and wrinkle free...I'd post pix of some of my pieces but I don't know how to on this site...I do have a photobucket account as well as kodak...The MOST exquisite patterns I have EVER seen are on an on line site called GoldenKite...They have NO quarter stitches, half stitches, 3/4 stitches or BACKSTITCHES, but everything is in EXQUISITE detail...I currently have 4 of their patterns waiting for me to do as well as 3 more waiting for me to purchase...they are not cheap, but as with some things, you get what you pay for...

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2008
5:35 AM

Post #4649506

Glad to meet you, deeskid! :)
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #4650458

have you seen any of the Heaven and Earth designs? Talk about your detail. Whew.
Erynne
Orangeville, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 11, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #4650668

Yeah, and one over one! HAED are really incredible! Maybe one day...

Erynne
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2008
4:57 PM

Post #4650737

I had never seen HAED. Wow. James C Christensen is amazing. He sort of reminds me of my favorite artist Daniel Merriam http://www.avalongallery.com/merriam/merriam_1.html
If anyone knows where i could find a Daniel Merriam cross stitch design, please let me know. I've thought about getting a software program to help me take a picture and make it a design, but I'd rather have one that's already been proofed.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #4650795

I have James Christensens," Old World Santa". I requested the larger print and I got it. All 40 pages of it. I haven't started it yet but I figure that I better begin sometime real soon as I am almost 60 and I want to finish it before I'm gone. I have two of his books. One is " Voyage of the Basset" and the other is " A Journey of the Imagination" and I tell you what, he has one great imagination and is an incrediable artist.
He also has his art work illistrated on puzzles.
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2008
5:45 PM

Post #4650873

All 40 pages...:D now if that isn't intimidating... I know it's easier that way, but makes you really see how much work you are getting into right from the start, instead of 1/2 way through, when you have already put so much time into it you are pretty much committed. I'll have to look for more of his stuff online. I hadn't seen him before. :) It's good to find a new artist I really like! Thanks!!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2008
6:04 PM

Post #4650937

Each page has about 40+ 10stitch squares that still need to be blown up to see the patterns. I think that this was a huge mistake. Not sure I want to tackle it or not.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2008

Post #4650944

If you go to www.ABCStitchTherapy.com and go to artist James Christensen you can see the Old world santa that I am talking about.
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2008
5:01 AM

Post #4653504

Hi everyone,
Don't fall over but I have purchased a pattern for a wedding announcement for my DD and her new husband of 6 months! I am hoping to have it in time for their 1st anniversary in September. They are also expecting their first baby in October! Didn't wait long! So that means an announcement for the baby too. She wants to find out by way of ultrasound what the baby will be and said I could stitch an announcement then. My other DD's mother MIL always does her announcements and so it will be fun to do one for this 5th grandbaby. I use a frame my DD's introduced me to. It is plastic and can be made to fit the size of the cloth. Will take pics of this newest cross stitch as I progress. Glad to see so much interest in this thread after all this time. Happy stitching. Cathy
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2008
4:26 PM

Post #4654637

I have been working on a sampler lately and was so excited when I finally connected the two ends of the border pattern that I did to surround the alphabet and it matched up perfectly. I was so happy. I know that this may seem very unimportant to some of you that have done a lot of these but I am very pleased with my self to have planned out and completed that portion without a chart and by just counting. This is just my second sampler and I just keep getting more and more excited with each project that I complete. WOO HOO!
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #4655856

Gourdbeader, do you have a more direct link to the Old World Santa? I couldn't find it for the life of me.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #4655906

Let me see what I can do.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #4655929

Okay, at ABC Stitch Therapy, go to HAED. They will show a list of their designer below. Go to James C Christensen and you will see his work.
Give it a try
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #4655936

found it! Man that is cute!!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #4655941

Isn't his work great?
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2008
11:17 PM

Post #4655961

You can go online and find all kinds of his art work. Very Expensive for the good stuff but you can find ornaments, posters, puzzles, and all kinds of different things. I was able to copy the old world santa from one of the sites on some good photo paper and put it in with the pattern. If I don't finish the ccst I will at least have a copy of his work. Hehe. Hope I haven't infringed on anyone. Its only for me.
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2008
11:19 PM

Post #4655965

and Stephanie Pui-Mun Law, also- I will have to invest the time in doing a few of these, just so I can look at every part of the design
http://www.abcstitch.com/optioncart/image.php?image=http://www.abcstitch.com/images/s7/flightsoffishfancy.jpg&id=665884&item=Flights%20of%20Fish%20Fancy&price=0.00&itemtype=chart
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2008
11:21 PM

Post #4655972

I used to do that with Daniel Merriam's stuff when I had access to a decent printer, now I just use him as a desktop every now and then :D art is good, makes me happy like plants
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #4656004

YEAaaaa... :-)
deeskid57
Owensboro, KY

March 20, 2008
5:03 AM

Post #4685511

Hi all, I've been away for a few days but thought I'd check in...If you have a favorite pix you HAVE to have as a pattern, GoldenKite will custom make it for you. I've got a picture of a Cougar out to them now to convert to a pattern. The "Old World Santa" is GREAT! I love the 3D look!
OSUBuckeyeinNJ
Long Creek, OR

April 25, 2008
3:22 PM

Post #4862292

Buckimom, could you tell me the name of the pattern is in the picture of the kitchen cupboard you posted at the beginning of the thread? I thought I might try to find it. Oh, and GO BUCKS!!!
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #4863128

Dear OSU, Our youngest daughter did that cross stitch for me. I will be talking to her this weekend and I will ask her the name. I do know that it was done by Paula Vaughn. If you have trouble finding the pattern maybe she would let me mail it to you. We Buckeye fans are everywhere. I bleed scarlet and gray. LOL I will get back with you after I check with our little OSU graduate, Heather.
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2008
7:04 PM

Post #4863222

Well, I am back already! I did an internet search and found the book that the chart you were asking about is in. It is "Paula Vaughan's "Grandmother's House" and the chart is called "The fruit of her labors". I just typed Paula Vaughan, Grandmother's House in the search and came up with a lot of stuff. Good luck. And as always GO Bucks!
OSUBuckeyeinNJ
Long Creek, OR

April 25, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #4863887

Thanks. I have many of her things, but don't have that pattern.

I'm VP of the NJ CLub (NJBUCKEYES.COM). We moved here due to my husband's job. Grew up south of Cleveland... worked for the state in Columbus for 10 years. Did graduate school there. We went to Madison Sq. and saw the basketball Bucks win!!!!! Much to the dismay of the Gators. And, we saw them therein Nov. when they beat Syracuse (from where my husband graduated... his "GO ORANGE" was a little weak on the way home.

We game watch ever week during football season. Faithfully. Our local paper did a story about the BIG game party.

Tressel is coming to NJ on the 15th of July to kick off his new book tour. We are working with the Alumni Association to do a reception. Can't believe it. They all go to Philly and NYC, and forget about us... we are the overlooked middle child. LOL

Miss Ohio dearly. My other moved with my sister to be a grandmother, so I don't really get back... no family there.

We are organizing a Taste of Ohio in Sept. When we all get together we talk about the food we miss... so we are having restaurants ship things.

Still get the Columbus Dispatch via e-mail. Sorry to see Wendy's is being sold. I eat there when I'm homesick. Fortunately they have salads, or I'd be 500 lbs!

GO BUCKS!!!
pearl
(Deb) Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2008
3:42 PM

Post #4904877

Just stumbled onto this thread. Here is one that I did awhile back.

Thumbnail by pearl

Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #4905188

Nice one Pearl!!
pearl
(Deb) Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #4906373

Thanks Hyblaen. Most of the cross-stitch that I've done has been given out as gifts. I try to keep a few for myself. Do you have a pic of a completed peice? Just curious.
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #4907255

Well, I've just started, so most of my stuff is real beginner type.

Thumbnail by Hyblaean

Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #4907266

This is my current project. I've got a month off of school starting this Wed, so I'm looking forward to doing more of it- so far I've just got the center bush 1/4 done :) Probably going to take a while...

Thumbnail by Hyblaean

pearl
(Deb) Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #4907677

Those are great pieces. I'm trying to finish an owl cross-stitch for the last 10 years. It seems like I get pulled away from it all the time... But the major thing I like most of all is my gardening. Now that I can aways fall back on.
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2008
2:19 AM

Post #4912239

Thanks Pearl :D I like both- up here it's kind of necessary to have an indoor hobby, or you'd go nuts 1/2 the year. Please post a pic of the owl piece! I'd love to see it. I've been buying 1970s kits off Ebay lately. I have no clue why they appeal to me so much, but they do :D lot's of owls in that time period.
pearl
(Deb) Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2008
4:03 AM

Post #4912838

Here it is. As you can see I don't have much done. The booklet is called "The Night Watch" by Cathy Livingston.

Thumbnail by pearl

Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2008
4:44 AM

Post #4912962

oh I love it!!
dottik
Oakland, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #4919251

Good morning. I have just found this thread. I have to say that all the projects shown on this thread are just lovely. I just wish I was able to get back to cross-stitching right now, but I will be able to do so in a few months if my catarac surgery works. I had to give it up several years ago, but had cross-stitched for about 50 years before that. I learned from my mother during the time that the only patterns available were put out by DMC and were mainly for borders.
There wasn't even any even-thread fabric available, but there was penolapoe canvas in 10 stitch count. (A few years ago the stores called it Tear-away canvas.) For years, the only cross stitch available to the majority of stitchers was the printed type-mostly in a 5 count or 4 count. Some of those patterns were pretty, but the only modifications you could really do was to change the color. Oh, yes, and DMC 6 strand thread was hard to find, expensive, and in a lot less colors than today.
My favorite project of all I have done is a black afghan done in the afghan stitch, overlaid with the picture of an Indian in full headress done in counted cross-stitch using the same kind of yarn. It really turned out beautifully. I also cross-stitched a stag standing amongst some trees and flowers on a light yellow summer unlined jacket using the 10 stitch tear-away canvas. Unfortunately, the afghan was a present and while I got to wear the jacket for one summer, my neice talked me out of it before long. The jacket was done in a pattern put out by Better Homes and Gardens in the 70's and is still printed by them every once in a while.
I am really going to enjoy reading this thread and seeing the beautiful projects you all have going. Some day, I may even be able to show you one I'm doing. Dotti
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #4919636

Dear Dotti,
I was so pleased to read your post. Being a relatively new cross stitcher I had no idea about the history of it the way you described. Thank you so much for sharing. Take care and will be looking forward to seeing your works of art in the future.Cathy
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2008
6:00 PM

Post #4919780

Hi Dotti! Isn't surgery an amazing thing? My grandmother had cataract removal about 20 years ago and she ended up seeing better than I and I was a teen back then. I'm sure it's even more precise now. I hope it all goes smoothly and that you are posting pics of your work on here before long!
JanLynn
(Jan) So Milw, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5318118

Hello! I'm another "old-timer" counted cross-stitcher but some of your work that you've displayed is AWESOME!!! I love doing "little" projects, some I design myself :)

Jan
hbt1290
New Port Richey, FL

October 27, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #5722179

Hi from New Port Richey, FL. I've moved here recently, am still unpacking, and haven't gotten organized enough to post pictures yet, but soon, I hope. The work you've show is exquisite. I've done x-stitch Christmas stockings for the whole family, am working on a Windswept Santa one now for the newborn. I've had a lot of fun with one of Theresa Wentzler's pattern, the floral bellpull. I've done the squares individually and mounted them in the clear plastic trivel forms you can get at craft stores, and worked individual flowers to mount in coaster forms. They actually turned out pretty well, so I'm making sets for some of the other family members. I hope this thread stays active - I haven't found anyone yet down here who speaks cross-stitch.
Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2008
1:21 PM

Post #5843629

My wife, she likes doing cross stitching.
Here is her first work -- Plum Blossoms, which stands for good luck.

Thumbnail by Jianhua

Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2008
1:28 PM

Post #5843642

And this is her second work --Peonies, symboling good fortune and long life (the black Chinese character is Shou 'long life').
Now the work has been sent out to a gardening friend in the USA as a birthday gift.

Thumbnail by Jianhua

Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

December 3, 2008
7:27 AM

Post #5853565

What beautiful work Jianhua, you must tell your wife what a wonderful job she did. Thank you for sharing.
Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2008
12:20 PM

Post #5853800

Yes, I will. Now she is busying with her a third work. When needle laid down, I will share the picture.
dottik
Oakland, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 25, 2008
6:24 AM

Post #5926571

Your wife has a great deal of talent and of patience. I have seen a lot of cross stitch, but none that are better. Does she also design her own pictures?
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2008
7:57 PM

Post #5940470

I just found this thread - don't know why I didn't think to look sooner! The pieces on here are so lovely - and I'm so glad to have found some other folks who get some peace out of stitching. Here's one of the pieces I did for my niece (pre-framing). I'm working on a "Statue of Liberty head" piece for my DBIL for *next* Christmas - LOL! I know myself, if I don't keep plugging away it ain't gonna get done! After that I'll be doing two MarBek angels for the niece and nephew. For some reason I just love those angels, in spite of how much they make my eyes twitch at the end of the day.

Thumbnail by dryad57

Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

December 30, 2008
4:14 AM

Post #5942387

Beautiful work dryad! Know what you mean about plugging away and twitchy eyes. Been there and done that!! Have to see if I can find any pictures of mine.
Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2008

Post #5942825

Very nice a hummer flying over the flowers.
Now wife has finished off the third work:
Peonies &Birds Size: 54x26"

Thumbnail by Jianhua

Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2008
11:06 AM

Post #5942828

Picture2: left part

Thumbnail by Jianhua

Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2008
11:07 AM

Post #5942831

Picture3: middle part

Thumbnail by Jianhua

Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2008
11:08 AM

Post #5942832

Picture 4: right part

Thumbnail by Jianhua

WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #5943098

Oh how beautiful these are...Jianhua...your wife is very talented..indeed...wowowowow...so perfect...and it is very big...She is very fast...that piece would take months..maybe even a year for me to finish..wowow...and that is doing it all day..lol..Lots of detail in this...It is just wonderful.. She should be very proud...

smiles..Diana...
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #5943398

Wow indeed! That's gorgeous!
Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2008
3:58 AM

Post #5946328

Thanks!
The best is yet to be, hehehe
IThe work takes her over 300 hours to be finished off,
but she simply loves it and I say hey for it.
Thinking with a frame it should look much better.
Jianhua
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

December 31, 2008
5:54 AM

Post #5946609

Jianhua Framing will enhance it, but it is already beautiful. Will truly be a work of art. Where does she obtain her patterns?
Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2008
1:05 PM

Post #5946912

They provide the patterns based on Chinese traditional culture in the local cross stitch shops.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2008
6:31 PM

Post #5948119

I wonder if we could do a pattern exchange, like a seed exchange??
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2008
8:58 PM

Post #5948666

This work is perfect...and when you turn it over..it is perfect on the wrong side...I was always told to do this..but...hahaha...Mine is always a mess...but his wife...follows the rules..lol...I own number two...lol...so beautiful..I wish I could frame it..with both sides showing...wonderful work..and I just love it..

thanks again Jianhua..and Yurong...my birthday present was the best thing I have ever gotten...

smiles..and hugs...Diana..
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

January 1, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #5950063

I have a friend from Mexico who was taught to cross stitch that way, it is very beautiful. Wish I lived close enough she could teach me. I love Chinese designs.

Diana...why can't you frame it between two pieces of glass with a mat on both sides, then you could turn it over to show the other side when you wanted to.
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #5950083

Aw, I thought of that..but did not think..they would do it for me..but I should ask...sure is nice..on the back too...thanks..for giving me a boost...lol...

smiles.Diana..
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

January 1, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #5950179

Sometimes, framers in a needlework shop will work with you more. They appreciate what you're trying to do. Worth a try anyway. Hope it works, it would be awesome.
Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2009
5:26 AM

Post #5950570

Her cross stitching works are non-critical, the local experts comment. Just as WantabeGardener puts it, when you turn it over, it is perfect on the wrong side. hehehe
As you all know, cross stitch needs a pattern. Here we have various patterns based on Chinese cultures, such as Giant Panda, Peacocks, Blooms --peony, plum, bamboo, chrysanthemum, landscapes, Chinese paintings, etc. (If there is anyone here who loves a special sort, just let me know. I can send you the pattern which you need. What you need to pay is only pattern cost + airmail postage)
Jianhua

momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2009
6:10 AM

Post #5950661

Jianhua,

I love the plum blossom piece your wife did. How much would a pattern for a piece like that cost? And do you have Paypal?

Deb
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

January 1, 2009
9:49 AM

Post #5950849

And what would the Giant Panda cost please.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #5951416

And I would love to know the cost of a landscape piece! Thank you so much for offering!!
Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #5955718

Cross-stitching is a noble job. As I know, there are quite a number of ladies crazy upon it .
momcat, Sally-OR, dryad57, one question for you.
Do you want to have ONLY the pattern?
Here they provide the PATTERN together with the FABRIC and the THREADS so that you can start doing X's immediately you bring the whole kit home.
(I will answer your related questions later on)
Jianhua
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #5955766

That's a very good question. I had jumped to the conclusion that the thread I use here (DMC) would be the same - bad assumption on my part. I would be interested in the entire kit, so I can be sure that the results are true to the artist's intention. Thank you for thinking of that!
Robin
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #5955851

Yes, entire kit for me, too.

Deb
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

January 3, 2009
4:43 AM

Post #5959537

Same for me also.
Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2009
12:35 PM

Post #5960015

momcat,
The Plum Blossom, also Purple Air Coming from the East (Zi Qi Dong Lai ) stands for luck and happiness in traditional Chinese culture.
The fabric size is: 90x50cm/ ~35.5x20"
The price of the cross stitch kit is: $20.00

This message was edited Jan 3, 2009 8:36 AM
Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #5960037

dryad57,
I find for you a landcape cross stitch with some Chinese Painting flavor.
I don't know whether you like it or not.
The cross stitch is called Chun Shan Ru Xiao, that is, Smiling Spring Mountains.
Size: 77x45cm/ ~30.5x18"
Price: $17.00
Here is the sampler.

Thumbnail by Jianhua

Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #5960054

Sally-OR,
This is the giant pandas called Paradise of the Pandas (Xiong Mao Le Yuan).
As you know, Pandas are China's national treasure. Kids are especially love the lovely pandas.
Size: 53x41cm/ ~21x16"
Price: $10.00

Thumbnail by Jianhua

Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #5960067

I do not want to spoil this thread deliberately, so would you three be kind enough to contact me via Dmail for the 'trade' issue?
And again, due to busy teaching at the end of the school term, i just accept the above three's request for the time being.
Jianhua
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #5974558

I was off trolling through the internet for a good pattern for my nephew (found a great dragon) and discovered this site, which has remnants at 50% off :-)
http://www.everythingcrossstitch.com/c-288-remnants.aspx
Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2009
11:11 AM

Post #5976312

dryad57,
I drop in the com above, and find most of the fabrics are 14 counts
just like the one Chun Shan Ru Xiao.
My wife is planning to xxxxxx Paradise of Giant Pandas.
When she finishes it off, I will showcase in here.
Jianhua
barbarbayee
hongkong
China

January 20, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #7478514

[quote="buckimom"]I was wondering if there are any fellow cross stitchers out there. I have just completed a birth announcement for my little goddaughter and am working on another one for her little sister who is due in three weeks. I am working like crazy to get it done. I don't know if this is the right forum or if someone could direct me to the right place. But anyhow I would love to see pictures of other cross stitchers work. Here is the announcement I just finished. Still have to frame it or have it done which is soooo expensive.[/quote]

Hi, buckimon, i would like to see your projects for your daughter, that must be very beautiful. well, i just bought two cross stitchs from the
http://www.uxsight.com/category/34017/cross-stitch-kits.html
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cross+stitch+kits&x=18&y=18
dog and house patterns and going to send to my friend as birthday gift when i finished it.

lakedust
South Wales, NY

February 26, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #7588910

Just stumbled on this thread. It gave me the boost I needed to pick up my needle again. Thanks!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8297423

I was just wondering if there is enough interest to have a special forum for just Cross stitching? I love it and from what I see here I think I will try and start our own forum.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8297957

Hi Jan,
I just put down my needle to check my mail and DG. There are a lot of us!!!!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 10, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8365232

I cheeted, I bought this on E-bay long ago, it is my favorite.

Thumbnail by kiseta

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8373339

Yes Quilter5bdsr, and I think that administration should give us our own forum. I keep nagging them and maybe they will.
I have been busy doing a lot of needle punch work too. I find that I am getting punch drunk. Heheh

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8373610

Jan you are something else!!!! What are you working on this month????
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8376101

I just finished this one

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8376109

I'm working on this one but found the previous one more interesting.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8388680

Well, it looks like Cross stitiching is staying where it is. Oh well I tried but I guess they feel that it doesn't deserve its own forum.
Well, it has worked so far.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2011
3:24 AM

Post #8389631

We will still know where to find each other. How's the punch needle coming along?
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2011

Post #8390344

Great Barb, I seem to have a hard time pulling myself away from it. Thats how much fun I am having with it.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8391630

That's great. I started a piece of Xstitch just after Christmas from a magazine I was sent from France. I'm doing a village scene and it covers three pages of the magazine. I'm almost done with page two but I only work on it while I watch the news in the am and for an hour after dinner. By then my hands start to cramp. Probably take me another month to finish at this rate!!!!! It was fun getting the writing translated to English!!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8392723

I'd love to see pics of it. This is the one I just finished yesterday.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8392809

I really like that Jan. It reminds me of patterns by Jackie Paton. She is designing quilt panels and other fabrics. I took a fabric painting class with her about 4 years ago. It was a lot of fun.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8447119

Told you it would take me another month to get that piece done. It is 28" long and 13" high at the highest point. I still need to launder and block it but this lets you see it.

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8447121

The left side...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8447124

The right side... It is supposed to have a gold metallic thread on one side of the letters but I'm not sure if I like or want it.

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8447131

OOHHH, that looks loverly!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8447140

Why thank you Jan23. It was fun!!!
How are things in Ore. other Jan?
KyGirl2011
Salisbury, MD

April 30, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8530089

I have done several projects. I'll have to be taught how to send pictures. I do have a question, I very often find a pattern but it is only sold in kits. I find them too expensive and I presently have a good supply of floss. My grandson is crazy about frogs and I found a kit called Frog Pile (frogs on top of each other.) I just need directions. Anyone have it and willing to trade a pattern for a pattern?

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8730276

Hey, you cross stitchers out there??? Anyone there?? Where did everyone go??!! I recently picked up my needle again and finished these cute kitty stockings. I won't tell you when I started them... And I still have to make little stocking out of them. Is anyone there?

Thumbnail by morknotmindy

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 1, 2011

Post #8730751

OMG those are so cute!

Years ago I did Christmas teddy bears, and put them in one of those big frames that hold multiple small pictures (you know what I'm talking about?) - turned out really nice.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8731542

You made a collage!!!! I love the idea as I love to do the stitching but then don't want to take the time to make something out of them...

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 2, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8731592

Lol - yeah that's the word I was looking for!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8734965

Yay! There are cross stitchers out there! I thought I was part of an endangered species... Let's see some photos.

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 3, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8735439

Well, I won a blue ribbon at the Wisconsin State Fair for this one:

Thumbnail by Jeannie63

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 3, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8735447

And this was my sister's Christmas gift last year:

Thumbnail by Jeannie63

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8735451

WOW! That is beautiful!

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 3, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8735452

Thanks!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8735461

Our postings crossed! They are both beautiful. Your sister is very lucky. The framing is so cool. That's an understatement but you know what I mean.

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 3, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8735477

I have four little birdies from that series. I've also done a hummingbird for her, but can't find a picture of it right now. Those patterns are just so cute!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8736045

Jeannie63 do you have these professionally mounted or do you do it yourself? They look gorgeous. I just finished a horse's head and want to get it framed in barnboard.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8736255

I just got the Decorah Eagles Cross stitch and as soon as I complete the other dozen projects I have going I want to work on it.
It is called "SOAR"

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8736425

Jan that looks like a fun one. I'm waiting on the camera to charge and then I'll try for a shot of the horse head I just finished. Now I'm working on a baseball one for the other grandson...

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 4, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8736442

Quilt, I do the framing myself. For the price of having one picture professionally framed, you can get a Logan mat cutting system. The mat board I get at HobbyLobby for $4 for a 4'x3' piece (mats a LOT of pictures!). If all you are going to do is the basic square/rectangular single or double mat, this is very cost effective!

Just this last year, I have started adding on little doodads to the matting.

Jan, do you like to do a lot of samplers? I think they have a very appealing 'old-fashioned' look!

Here is the hummingbird that I did for my sister two Christmas' ago (from the same series as the wren):

Thumbnail by Jeannie63

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8736535

We just had a Hobby Lobby open here last month. We have only had Michaels, and Joanns. Oh and we have AC Moore too. When I was in Alberquerque, I just lived in Hobby Lobby. Love that store. I must look there the next time we go. It's about 30 miles from here so we don't go often...Will that mat cutting system help me get that nice beveled edge on hte mat?

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 4, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8736608

Oh you are so lucky to have all those craft stores near you!

Yes, the mat cutting system will do the beveled edge. It should also have a blade for straight edges (the outside cut). This is the one I have:

http://www.logangraphic.com/products/boardmounted/compact-classic.shtml

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8736779

Thanks for the info. I'll be checking this out.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8740604

Jeannie, the hummingbird is just beautiful and I love the 'doodads' that you put on them. Really sets everything off. Years ago I took a class on matting and even bought a mat cutter. I haven't seen it in a very long time... I'm like qourd... I have at least a dozen different projects going on. In July I finished several things so I'm feeling a bit better about it...

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 6, 2011
9:14 PM

Post #8741118

Mork, you should feel great! Getting things finished is quite an accomplishment!

Glad you liked the doodads!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8742869

Hi my friends, haven't done much CS lately as I am trying to finish up some of the things I am working on now. Punch Needle, Swedish Weaving , and a rug hooking. I haven't been slacking just going in way too many directions. I promise to get back to CS soon.
Jan

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8743710

WOW Jan you have really been busy. I love the weaving!!! For some reason, I just couldn't get into the punch needle. You do beautiful work. Is the weaving a pattern or one you are making as you go along?

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 8, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8743769

Jan, I feel your pain - too many directions!!

I also do the punch needle embroidery. I found stained-glass patterns a great source of inspiration, if you want to do something unique.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8745251

Oh I promised pictures and then promptly for got all about them. Norm has my camera but will be home soon. I'll take them tonight and post in the morning..PROMISE

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 9, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8746297

This is a punch embroidery that I did based on a stained glass pattern. I used hand-dyed threads to add 'interest' to the large solid areas:

Thumbnail by Jeannie63

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 9, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8746301

And now back to the thread topic!

A rabbit cross stitch I did for my sister-in-law (who has a bunny named Butterscotch!)

Thumbnail by Jeannie63

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8746611

I think I will send mine to you to frame. What a nice job. I love the rabbit. I did one years ago of two rabbits in the snow. It became the bottom of a very pretty tray. I may still have it around here somewhere. Pictures are on the way. (I HOPE) I'm having a bit of a problem with the camera.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8749188

Jeannie, your punch embroidery tea pot is so cute, and the rabbit is vey charming. I can tell you really enjoy hand work. Beautifully done.

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

August 10, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8749290

Thanks! Yes, I do enjoy doing hand work. I also do smocking, and crocheting, and knitting, and, and, and LOL!!

Quilter, if you weren't so far away, I'd gladly do your framing :)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2011
5:08 AM

Post #8749953

Oh thank you Jeannie. That is so nice of you to offer. I'm taking it down to HobbyLobby and getting my mats made for me. Then I'll do the rest myself. Camera is now fixed and on the charger. Pictures will follow later today...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8791477

Well, one vacation trip to Canada, a rush home to beat the hurricane Irene and finally to get back and check all the threads!!!
Here is the promised photo of the horse's head for my grandson...Sorry it is sideways, I'll try again!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8791482

Hope this is better!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8791484

And this is the one started for the other grandson...

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8796378

Wow, Barb!! That horse is wonderful! There just isn't enough hours in the day to do all the things we'd like to do is there? LOL

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8796501

You got that right! There is so much I would love to try but time and $ have their limits!!!!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8797427

I have the time just not the doe, Oh, I guess we have to be gender correct here. I mean the Bucks. heheh

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 7, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8797538

Gourd, are you looking for something in particular? I am trying to down-size my craft supplies :)
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8799042

Wool and Linen for rug hooking or ??? Are you looking for anything? we can trade.

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 8, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8799130

LOL - no, I am not looking for anything! I have so much stuff that I have never touched, or not touched in years, and I'd rather pass it on to someone who will get some use out of it :)

But, sadly, I do not have wool or linen for rug hooking. I do have some 'implements' from my grandmother that I believe were used for rug hooking, though.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8799454

Truly, Can you send me a picture. I love using old implements. Just something magical about it.
Thanks
Jan

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 8, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8799929

I will try to get some pictures this weekend. I'm not sure if all the parts are there, but I suspect most of them are!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2011
10:01 PM

Post #8800101

That would be so great. Thanks so much. I have many old implements that I like to use just because i think about what they created before and who created it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America