Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-South Gardening: potting soils/deer

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2006
1:58 PM

Post #2699999

ok, you experienced folks, I just know you are going to be able to help me. I need a GOOD potting soil. One that does not stay wet and rot my daylilies !!!! Some folks on the daylily forum recommend Pro Mix but I don't know where to find it around here. You know, if it doesn't come from Lowes or Home Depot they I am lost ! I don't have compost so I need a GOOD potting soil which I haven't had in years. HELP !!!!!

and since you are in the "dear abby" mode, deer are eating my daylilies and/or smashing them into the ground(where we have watered the beds). They have pulled up signs and carried them off. We are NOT hunters. We have 3 1/2 acres so we cannot fence in all of this - cost too much for us.The deer are here every day, this is not a one-time thing. They come through in the morning and evening and I even found two here at 2 pm two days ago . Sigh. Is gardening worth it??????
BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2006
2:48 PM

Post #2700141

Disclaimer: These are all hearsay--
"Fence" in your garden with 20 pound test fish line strung at 30" high. The deer can't see it and when they touch it, it's supposed to scare them away...
Coyote urine sprinkled around the perimeter...
Mix dog food and hot crushed red pepper and leave "meat balls" around the edge. Supposedly, the deer learn fast...

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
Click the image for an enlarged view.

corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2006
8:19 PM

Post #2701092

we saw a fox in the yard but we didn't ask him for any urine. Haven't seen a coyote to ask him for any !

Dogfood meatballs,huh???? Now that I might could do if I could keep MY dogs from getting into them !

I'm not familiar with the fish line - we aren't fishers either, but that would be easy to find. Still would take a lot to go around 3+ acres. Might try it around some of the beds just to see if it helps.

Thanks ! gives me some ideas :-)

mjfulgham
Madison, MS

September 8, 2006
1:20 AM

Post #2701973

Libby, you can get the urine at Wal-mart in the hunting section. They are in little bottles. You can also - this is a little gross - soak tampons in the urine and use the strings to tie them to branches. Just go buy you some cheap ones and take them out of the plastic or cardboard thingys and pour your urine in a throw away container and soak the tampons in there. Be ready though - that stuff Stinks!!! Michelle
msfarmergirl
Philadelphia, MS
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2006
2:05 AM

Post #2702124

Libby, I swear after reading what you have to do, I think I'd start sitting in the yard with a 22! (and I've never killed an animal on purpose in my life...but I think I could at least scare the mess out of them). Isn't it amazing how they are so "cute" in the wild and how damaging they are in our yards. Our dogs keep the deer at bay...but then, I think Oscar is a bluetick wanna be. LOL
Sorry, they all sound like good suggestions...it just makes me wonder what's worse?

Deb
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2006
2:24 AM

Post #2702190

Odd how hard hunters work to attract deer and how hard gardeners work to scare them away... There's a message in there somewhere.

The best potting soil mix I have ever used was Sunshine from Canada. It had a nice blend of peat and would work well in pots, windowboxes, etc. W'mart quit that line and I have yet to find an adequate substitute. Sorry!
shadowgirl
Moscow, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2006
12:07 PM

Post #2702916

You can usually buy pro-mix at nurseries or mulch yards by the yard., which is a lot but the stuff is only about 30-40 dollars per yard. There are lots of deer around here but (so far) they don't come anywhere near the house. We keep a deer lick and corn down the hill along the path they travel through the woods. I can stand on the back deck and watch them eat. It's pretty rural around here with plenty of food in the woods, especially acorns in the fall so maybe they don't feel the need to eat my garden. On one of the HGTV, I think Rebecca's Garden, garden shows they showed a deer fence that was reasonably priced and install that was said to work. It could be ordered online.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America