Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Gardening by the Moon: Moon calendar?

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 13, Views: 299
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nivlac
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2006
8:09 PM

Post #2701066

I was waddling through Barnes and Nobles the other day and came across a calendar/planner that was put together for witchcraft. It had The moon cycles, and festivals (rituals), and every month it would have either a spell and incantation, recipe, or something related to witchcraft. It got me thinking????????????

I am writing "NOT" to promote the practice( I am not a witch) but thought that It was a good idea. One for gardeners would be FANTASTIC! Gardening with the moon cycles gives tremendous results where ever you live (historicaly proven), and adding in there sayings(quotes), recipes, propagation tips, ect. ect. WOW that would be great. Then I could keep up with home, garden, work, school and family all in one place. Maybe even get some Sfotware going for those who use palm pilots. I wish I new who to talk to and how to go about getting some produced. Any one know?

I hope I was understandable with this thread?

calvin
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2006
8:20 PM

Post #2701094

I have seen gardening calendars before but usually they are so general to not be of much use to me.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2006
9:00 PM

Post #2701205

Jerry Baker puts out a calendar that has moon phases and passages, but it doesn't have the other info. There is also a Witch's Almanac, much like the Farmer's. I'm sure there are some on the net, as well, but it would make an interesting website for sure. I have no clue how to make a website, though.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2006
10:28 PM

Post #2701472

I use one--full moon etc has a tremendous effect on tides and how water moves thru plants.
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2006
12:13 AM

Post #2701779

There is (or was) another moon gardening calendar. I bought one several years ago, and at that time the publishers were having trouble clearing any profit. I can't remember the name but if I find my copy I'll post more info.
Mahnot
DFW area, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2006
12:38 AM

Post #2701861

This site gives a simple explanation. Farmers in Europe
have done it for centuries. It has to do with how high the
water table is during different phases of the moon.

http://www.plantea.com/planting-moon-phases.htm
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2006
12:41 AM

Post #2701868

I use the book by Llewellyn--I'm looking for it to give you the name--Calvin--give me a while--its 'buried' in the living room last time I saw it.

Finally "unearthed" it--2006 Moon Sign Book by Llewellyn. I only use it for gardening. Not because I think its Satanic or anything (lol) just really don't have time to read the other parts. LOL

This message was edited Sep 7, 2006 7:54 PM
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2007
8:06 PM

Post #3703943

The Old Farmer's Almanac 2008 Gardening Calendar will be out in September.
http://www.amazon.com/Farmers-Almanac-2008-Gardening-Calendar/dp/1571984283/ref=sr_1_1/102-4348315-4908937?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183752354&sr=1-1

Which apparently is different from the regular calendar

Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2007
8:15 PM

Post #3703973

I am amazed and thrilled at how much information is available - through knowledgeable people here on this forum and on the Internet. I'm doing a lot of pasting and copying and will try to come up with something that makes sense to me for my area. I do so appreciate all the input!
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2007
8:28 PM

Post #3704029

The moon definitely exerts a gravitational pull on tides and plants. When I was in one of the Costa Rican rain forests my guide showed me a certain vine that grows there. During high tide you can cut this vine and water pours out. Literally. They use it for drinking if they are out of water. During low tide nothing comes out. It was amazing.
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2007
4:20 PM

Post #3707119

I received a gift from a fellow DGer this past Christmas of a 2007 Gardening By The Moon calendar and absolutely love it! He found it at http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com
It has a whole bunch of garden chores listed for July and then specifically by date:
July8-10 Water Compost and Fertilize
11-12 Harvest, Cultivate and Prune
17-18 Plant flowering vines
20th Plant above ground annuals, especially flowers and herbs

carol

This message was edited Jul 7, 2007 12:06 PM
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2007
5:01 PM

Post #3707230

Just a tad of clarification here on Witches...The ones you refer to are not Satanic Black Witches...They are classed as White Witches or Wiccans...They date back to before the Druids and Stonehendge, and they are the same type as a Shaman or Healer..
These are the same ones who were burned at the stake because they were able to heal and used herbs, poultices etc. which the Colonists feared...
Just because you get or have a witches calendar, does not mean you are dabbling in Satanic witchcraft... Many of the practices of us Indians are still looked at askance today, unless you are from deep in the Appalachin Mountains...Those people learned much of what they know from us Indians who helped them learn to survive in this country...
More info is available on the web if you look up **Wicca**
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2007
4:43 AM

Post #3722323

Does the farmer's almanac have the same information or is it different? I am trying to choose which to go by.
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #3723985

I tend to consult The Farnmers Almanac too but it has always left me wanting to know more.

Edited to add:
Of course the most important consideration regarding when to do what, at least for me, is:
If the mood strikes, better do it now, because it may be a while before you are again inspired. :-)

carol

This message was edited Jul 11, 2007 12:48 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM
I have a question about the Moon & deadheading roses dovey 13 Jul 15, 2007 6:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America