Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: Ilex Opaca - American Holly - New Jersey Prince & Princess

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KCNative
Belton, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2006
12:28 AM

Post #2701823

We finally located some of this in Jefferson City at a Grow Native! nursery, but unfortunately the nursery didn't mark the males and the females (they grow everything from seed). So we only bought one until we can figure out the gender of the partner we need to buy.

Does anyone know if it is possible to determine which it is simply by looking at it? The one we got is about 18" tall with no berries, only leaves. Does the female always have berries?
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2006
4:09 AM

Post #2704866

All the Ilex Opaca shrubs that I've seen for sale at Lowes and everywhere else not only had labels, but the females had berries (of course after mid-year or so).
Will
malusman
Peoria, IL

September 22, 2006
12:21 AM

Post #2747254

The princess will only make babies if the prince has been visiting. So, if no pollinater was available there probably won't be fruit. No pictures on the net so I can't even begin to compare them. Not sure if Jersey Prince and Princess will come true from seed so these may have been cutting grown plants and the tag got lost. At any rate, you'll have to look at the flowers next May/June and see if they have stamens or pistils. Good luck!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America