Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CarolinaTracer
Sanford, NC

September 9, 2006
7:18 PM

Post #2706390

Well, spent a few days down in NC this past week. Part of our place was just overgrown with weeds. Think it might have been from the mulch that was put down last year. Fellow DGer, Finding Eden, came over to help me weed. Now is that a true friend or what. We still can't believe that we met through DG's and live about half mile from each other. Anyway, I came across this thing growing with in the garden. It was about a foot long from tip to where the three light green berriers are. The largest of the berries was about 1/2 inch in diameter. The berries actually looked like teeny, tiny unripe pumpkins.

Thumbnail by CarolinaTracer
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2006
9:23 PM

Post #2706732

Its what I call a plain old Briar.

Lavina
moretz
hickory, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2006
6:41 PM

Post #2712801

its a weed get rid of it
moretz
Clementine
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2006
7:13 PM

Post #2723011

Yes, it is a bad weed, it has stickers on them, the "little pumpkins" are seedpods!!UGH!! When you pull them out, take them from way down and pull slowly, I seem to remember that they have a loooong root. LOL
findingEden
Sanford, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2006
10:25 PM

Post #2755679

Hello Carolina Tracer...yes it is I, your weed-pulling Trace neighbor. I was at your house today. Looks lovely. All the weeds the mulch gifted you with are gone and the plantings that were hiding are proudly strutting their stuff. See you in October.

Eden
1cros3nails4gvn
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2007
11:12 PM

Post #3457377

that is a horse nettle. i hate those they are soooo thorny
NCmagnolia
Swansboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2007
1:05 PM

Post #3465641

Hey, Carolina Tracer. Don't touch that thing with your bare hands. It can put a real hurt on you especially if you happen to be allergic. It's a type of nightshade and if eaten will make you sick or even kill you. Kids seem to find it attractive for some unknown reason, maybe because of the cute berries. Just touching it makes your hands burn and sting. I know. I touched before I learned.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 25 Jan 6, 2013 5:43 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America