Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

This message was edited Sep 24, 2006 6:53 AM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

This message was edited Sep 24, 2006 6:53 AM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Considering the interest that was shown in the sculptures (on another thread in another forum) I posted these photos of our sculptures where I thought they'd be appreciated, in Garden Art. I must say that it's really disappointing to have 187 views of this thread and not one single comment in almost a month's time about the sculptures that we made.

I realized after I posted this thread that I committed a faux pax by posting a link to my eBay store's link. I removed the link as soon as that realization was made.

And still, no comments whatsoever. Not a single one. Really makes a gal wonder.

Janet

Anna Maria Island, FL(Zone 9b)

Well...I'm new here and am just now starting to read thru the threads on DG.
It may take me a while...LOLAM
That's my excuse...and I'm stickin' to it...hehehe.

As for the rest of the members...I can't answer...however, these forums are all kinda slow, it seems.

Now...to get back to your sculptures...I LOVE THEM!
Did you make them?
I especially like the small details like the beaded necklace.
They're very pretty...whoever the artist is, I'd like to have them create me a mermaid for my garden!

Thanks for sharing, Janet!

Lansing, KS(Zone 5b)

UniQue~ don't take it personally, some people enjoy looking and reading others comments. BTW, very nice sculptures and creativity! THIS is my first view and I am impressed ;0)!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm not normally a whiner. I just couldn't understand why no one said a single word about them. It was extremely discouraging and quite frankly very depressing that no one commented. Sadly enough, I would have even welcomed criticism because I'm not beyond learning from criticism.

Thank you Lellie for your kind words. My sister, Connie (maidentheshade) and I created the Garden Nymphs and the skeeters. Connie's been creating copper sculptures for her yard (and mine) for several years. I've just begun to learn the process of working with the copper. I even have the blister on my finger to show for our hard work. :-) I began beading jewelry several years ago and really enjoyed creating the jewelry for the Nymphs. We have tried our best to have the sculptures have "personality" with details and even named them accordingly.

The photo below shows Miss Morphetta Nymph.

Janet
UniQue Treasures

ps Send me a Dmail about the mermaid if you are truly interested..... How big, etc. and we'd be happy to create one for you.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Garden6. I'm really glad that you like them. I have been known to look and not comment also due to time, or someone else saying the same thing I would have said. I didn't take it personally, though it may sound that way. It was just so discouraging to have THAT MANY views and not one comment.

Thanks again,
Janet

Lansing, KS(Zone 5b)

You're welcome and please continue to share your awesome sculptures! Definitely an artisan for sure! :0)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I wanted to show in the listings I made that the sculptures were truly created by hand and not "machine made". It's hard to take photos while holding on to burning objects simultaneously. I made a collage of some of the photos I took that day when we were creating a skeeter.

Janet

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The finished Skeeter.

Anna Maria Island, FL(Zone 9b)

Miss Janet...check your DMAIL, please.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I think these sculptures are great and I am glad that you talked your sister into selling them :)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Jazz. I'm glad I encouraged her too. She and I have a lot of fun coming up with ideas and trying new things. It's neat to see one of us get an idea and I'm sure it would be comical to others to see the expressions on our faces.

I can't describe the appreciation I have for being able to take pieces of copper and help to turn them into works of art. There's a lot of oohing and aahing as each detail is added to the piece. We used several photos of actual mosquitos posted here on DG as a reference on trying to be "accurate" on the skeeters we made. Each sculpture is uniquely different because each one is a trial and error process as our knowledge increases.

Connie has always had the God given talent to visualize things that us normal folks just weren't given. Even as a child I remember one of her science projects where she made this humongous fly sculpture (probably about 18 inches, but remember I was a kid, so I may be wrong about that). I don't remember what he was made of (except that it was of a soft bumpy substance) but he was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Throughout the years, as long as we've had kids, the whole family has always gone to Connie for help with Halloween Costumes. And God love her, she's always taken the time to "whip up" something spectacular! :-) She's a very multi-talented person. I'm working on making a website to show off this talent. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Both of us have a bajillion plants and we've really enjoyed the friendship and knowledge that the folks here have shared with us. Since joining Dave's Garden, it's become my home page. We truly do appreciate the folks here at Dave's Garden and we spend a lot of time discussing things we've seen or "heard" here as part of our conversations amongst ourselves. Both of us were very perplexed that no one had commented on our hard work. I'm not normally a confrontational type of person, but the lack of comments bothered me enough that I felt the need to say something.

I apologize if it sounded like whining, but felt I needed to do something besides just be depressed about it. I hope I haven't offended folks by being up front and honest about my feelings. Thanks for listening, I feel better! :-)

Janet

Lansing, KS(Zone 5b)

UniQue... venting is a very good thing!.... Thanks for sharing your story, inspiration and photos the work involved to produce such beautiful sculptures. We appreciate the detail to accuracy as well. Gorgeous indeed! :0)

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Janet, I don't do much commenting on DG but I certainly enjoy looking and reading. The sculptures that you and your sister create are beautiful and fun. How did you get the colors on the flying girl---it's beautiful. Did you do it with heat or chemicals? And love the jewelry she's wearing. Show us more of your artwork--I promise I won't be so quiet next time. Sheverne

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Sheverne. No chemicals are used by us. The irridescent colors were created by "torching" the dress when we were finished. It's not an easy process at all. The mix of oxygen and acetylene has to be just right and the size of the flame has a lot to do with it, as well. We do a whole lot of oohing and aahing while we are trying to get the colors to appear. I asked Connie if the colors would remain after the sculpture began it's patina process (over time) and sadly, she said probably not. Only time will actually tell. But Doggone it, we'll enjoy the colors while they *ARE* there. :-)

Here is a closer shot of the dress "fabric".

Janet

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

We used moonstones and complimentary glass beads for the necklace and earrings on this one. I have a great selection of beads and gemstones from when I was making jewelry. I've wire wrapped jewelry for myself over the years. It's a lot different, yet basically the same, making things so small to fit the sculptures.

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

I love looking at stuff ya'll have done and "I" missed this post until it got bumped up by you. It must have hit on a day I wasn't looking and got under the wire. That happens.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Renata! I thought you might recognize your skeeter in the first post. :-)

Janet

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

yep... can't wait until it comes in. I found one box that had marbles in it. I need to get ya'll pictures.

(Zone 1)

Janet: I'm new to the DG website and just came across this page. I LOVE your yard art. Talented people always amaze me!

Can you D-Mail me the web address for your e-bay site?

Thanks!

Plantladylin

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks PL Lin.

I appreciate your comments. I've sent you a Dmail, as requested.

Welcome to Dave's Garden. Be careful though. It's addicting! :-)

Janet

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

Janet, good morning. Just glancing through the various forums and noticed your incredible creations. Love them. Unique treasures - what a perfect name. Can you dmail me your E-bay site? Thank you. Marie

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Good Morning and Thanks Marie. I thought the name was just right. I've always enjoyed things that are different and beautiful.

I've sent you a Dmail.

Janet

Scott, LA(Zone 8b)

Great idea for a unique garden. Since everyone wants you to send them your website, why don't you just add your link to the site on this forum so we can all view the site? While looking at your art sculptures, I kept thinking of all the insects and birds that would be fun to add to the garden. Do you have a special order pricing guide?

lilbit

This message was edited Oct 7, 2006 8:22 PM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Lilbit,

Thanks so much for your comments. Anyone can click on my name and see my store link. We don't want to cause any problems or break any rules by putting the link here in the thread. I did that originally when I created this thread, and then when I realized it, I deleted it.

In answer to your question, we don't have any set pricing list, because each thing is pretty much unique (no pun intended there). We are pretty open to ideas though and would be happy to hear any special requests.

Janet

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Connie and I have been busy this past weekend building a caterpillar house. Once the house was built, we needed a "lock" to close it with.

The photo below shows the "knob" we created. To see more photos of the caterpillar house ot's attached to, which we're both pretty proud of, you can check out this link to the Butterfly and Hummer Forum. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/655201/

Our photos are towards the middle-end of the thread.

Janet

Lansing, KS(Zone 5b)

Ooh, very niiiice! ;0)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Garden6,

We were really pleased with the butterfly and the cage too! I am planning on enjoying the cage for a long time. Being new to butterflying, I can't wait to find some caterpillars and raise them to be released. It will be quite the experience, I'm sure!

Janet

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

the butterfly cage is amazing! and the butterfly itself the perfect finishing touch. I love it! good luck with butterfly raising. I'm hoping to try it next season, but with a much more mundane cage.

gram ~a girl~

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Gram!

We thought that butterfly was the perfect finishing touch as well. I'm hoping we can figure out how to make some caterpillar handles for the front door. I'm worried that I'll catch the fabric with my fingernails as I open it.

When I decided I "needed" the cage, there were a couple of tiny monarch caterpillars crawling on my milkweed. Since the completion of the cage, I can't find them. I'm worried "something else" found them. Boooooooooooohooooooooooooooo! Hopefully more will hatch and I'll be able to get started soon!

Janet

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Very beautiful sculptures! I only occasionally come to this forum... so I didn't see it sooner. Love 'em!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you bsavage. We've really had a lot of fun creating them.

Janet

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Connie and I have been commissioned to make a sculpture for Balvenie for his moon gate in his arbor. If anyone is interested in watching the process, I'm doing my best to document it in photos. The link for the step by step creation process is here:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/662975/

Janet

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

We've updated the above mentioned thread since the post above was made. Just wanted to pass that along, in case you were interested.

Janet and Connie

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Some of you may know, but others may not....

The Sculpture of Penelope and the Ellusive Buttery is completed. She's Alive! HAHAHAHAHA

You can see the entire kinetic copper creation at the link above. We're so proud of her. We even took some movies of it.

Janet and Connie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images