Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

some Maine vacation pictures

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Tides were big that week, twelve feet. This is low tide

Thumbnail by claypa

An eagle hangs out right off the back deck, waiting for the tide to change. He's been hanging out in this tree for about ten years that I know of. It's a white pine, the oldest one on the cove

Thumbnail by claypa

Some more

Thumbnail by claypa
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Feels like I'm right there. Beautiful photos!! Did you have fun while up there?

Ok, i take that back. I wish I was there!! lol

This 'closeup' was taken holding a digital camera up to a telescope...

Thumbnail by claypa

That's a pretty good shot considering how you took it.

Oh I had a blast, especially with the seafood! Here's an accidental closeup

Thumbnail by claypa

Oh man seafood!! I'm drooling now!! That's a good shot of his feet. lol

Did the Whalewatch boat trip, dolphins and this Humpback whale

Thumbnail by claypa

Here's his tail flukes

Thumbnail by claypa

Neat!! I have always wanted to visit Maine and see everything up there. Hopefully I will get a chance one of these days.

That last picture, you can see some of the mountains on Mount Dessert Island, about 10 miles away. Cadillac Mountain is the biggest on the eastern seaboard, except Rio DiJaneiro.
This picture is another tour boat, the Margaret Todd. I wonder what happened to the old one, the Nathalie Todd

Thumbnail by claypa

The obligatory lobster boat picture. This is Bar Harbor

Thumbnail by claypa

This contraption is a lobster car. Sometimes lobsters are stored in these floats until they're sold.

Thumbnail by claypa

Ooh, love the Margaret Todd!! I love old and unique boats. If it doesn't look unique I don't like them that much. Like the lobster boat also. Is that a wooden boat in the background of the lobster boat pic? The one in between the 2 white boats.

I had to reread the last one. i thought you said that lobster boats were stored there until sold. That made no sense til read it again. lol

That last picture shows the bar that appears at low tide. That's why it's called Bar Harbor, not all the watering holes in town. You can drive to that island at low tide, just don't forget to move it in time!

This man fixed my chainsaw for fifteen bucks, I wish he lived closer

Thumbnail by claypa

So do I!! Can't beat $15.

Here's a sign in a friend's garden, I want one...

Thumbnail by claypa

I need that sign!! If something grows in my yard its a miracle since its just about impossible to get things growing here. Course we have bad soil too. Cornfield and gravel road ditches dirt. Not the best stuff.

I don't know if that other boat's wood or not. Hinckley yachts and Morris yachts are made nearby. About the chainsaw, it hadn't run for years, and I couldn't find a Husqvarna dealer nearby home, so I brought it with me. They give out pens that say, "Bullett's Franklin Husqvarna: New, Used, and Mis-used" I guess mine is a 'mis-used' lol...

Here's a nice boat at the pier, I hope nobody spills bait on it...

Thumbnail by claypa

Very nice, but I still like the unique ones with lots of character. I would be suprised if someone even brought bait on that boat.

Yeah, it's funny, Maine is one of a few states that has an official "state soil". I think most of the state is glacial sand and gravel deposits, with whatever organic material that has accumulated since the ice ages. A lot of places there have a really nice loam, that the Mainers pronounce "loom". The glacial melt caused what is called a 'deranged' drainage pattern, and a lot of places have what is considered 'hyper-drainage', perfect for blueberries and White pines. The ice was 2 miles thick over Mount Dessert Island during the last glaciation, that's why the mountains are all smooth and roundish.

Here's an Osprey flying over the cottage

Thumbnail by claypa

loam,loom, everyone pronounces it differently. Drives me nuts sometimes because I can't always figure out what they are saying.

Now, thanks to you I'm craving blueberries. You had to mention that huh? lol

Yeah, the food is awesome...clams, mussels, scallops, lobster, haddock, cod, shrimp... There's even a peach orchard some clever person started. LOTS of potato fields up north, they grow seed potatos for other farmers.

One more picture, on the way back into Bar Harbor

Thumbnail by claypa

I just realized I've been mis-spelling Mt. Desert... it's pronounced like cake and ice cream dessert, but spelled like the hot, dry sand desert. I guess it was deserted when it was 'discovered'

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

That's pronouned "Bah Hahba" isn't it? I'm sooooooo jealous! DH and I enjoyed our two visits to Maine and hope to go back some day. Loved Monhegan Island. Took one of the best naps I've ever had on the cliffs overlooking the ocean. I'd taken a Dramamin (sp?) for the boat ride over and about the time we disembarked and began hiking, I became very sleeeeeepy. DH was busy photographing a bird so I, swaddled in many layers of clothing, stretched out on the rocks that were beginning to grow warm from the morning's sun. It was like being in a caccoon! I slept off the affects of the medication - blissfully. DH said that was a very expensive nap!

We enjoyed a display of Wyeth paintings and toured the site of N.C.'s painting "Christina's World". We each photographed the other posed exactly like Christina with the house in the background. One evening we visited with a widowed gentleman while waiting for a table in a restaurant. He was having his dinner of scallops at the bar and insisted we taste them. When we told him we had enjoyed the Wyeth exhibit, he told us he had once owned N.C.'s original painting of Indians that was an illustration in "The Last of the Mohicans". Unfortunately, he had to sell it to pay taxes, etc. after his wife died. We really enjoyed each other's company and exchanged addresses - have exchanged Christmas cards since. We learned he was the retired Headmaster of a very respected east coast prep school. Such a gentleman. We looked forward to his Christmas cards which always had his photograph on the front in his hunting gear, playing crochet, etc. They eventually were signed by someone other than our friend, but they did continue. I hope we get one this year.

Another vivid memory is of driving down a narrow road running alongside the Bath shipyards. It was a rainy, gray afternoon with lots of fog. We happened to drive by at shift change and there were several workers crossing the street to the little grocery where they bought hot steaming cups of coffee. They carried old fashioned metal lunch boxes shaped like a loaf of bread. I had the most surreal feeling - like we were driving right through a photograph out of National Geographic. Or a movie set. It just didn't look real.

Can you tell I really like it there? Where is your cottage? Do you spend summers there? Are you ever there in winter season? I do not think we would enjoy that time of year.

Debra

This message was edited Sep 13, 2006 9:12 PM

HaHa, there were a lot of seasickness/dramamine victims on the whale watch boat trip, now that you mention it...that cottage is a rental in a town called Sorrento, in Hancock County. I go for Labor Day and after, because it's cheaper, fewer tourists, and no mosquitos. I lived nearby for about 10 years, I miss it everyday!
Winter is a lot more fun than most people realize...ice fishing, skiing, and snowmobiling are popular. I love that Wyeth museum in Rockland...there's one around here, too, in Brandywine.

Thumbnail by claypa
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Claypa, your pictures are wonderful!! I really want to go on the whale watching trip next time we go. It's always been either too early in the season or too late, or we had too many other things going on... We took the mail boat from MDI (Mt Desert Island) to some of the little islands nearby last time, and that was a lot of fun.

My husband's grandparents built a cabin on MDI 50+ years ago and Charles and his siblings still own it. It is gorgeous up there! Thanks for posting the pictures. :-)

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Marylyn - a cabin on Mt. Desert Island? is that just heaven?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It is ABSOLUTELY heaven - or as close to it as you can get down here. The cabin has no insulation, so it's not very pleasant in the winter. They close it between late October and mid-May - actually, the whole road that the cabin is on is full of only summer cabins, so the road never gets plowed; they just re-grade it every spring. My brother-in-law and his wife did winter there one year. They had to park their car at the end of the road (we know the people who live on the corner, so it worked out well) and snowshoe up the road to the cabin - about a mile away. Not my idea of fun, but they survived and remember it fondly. :-)

We honeymooned there in the middle of May seven years ago, and it was still a bit nippy, but that just made a great excuse to light the fireplace in the evenings. :-) Last year we were there in June and the deerflies were out. They are no fun whatsoever. :-P We were there in October a few years ago, and it was just breathtaking...

I'm ready to go back!!! :-D

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

You need a new hammock! lol

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yep! LOLOL

Hi Marylyn, Debra, and pepper, thanks for looking at my pictures! One of these days I'd like to try photographing the meteor shower in August. I had my telescope up there, and I had to try to get better pictures of the eagle. The whales are hard, they only appear for a few seconds usually. A few of them stick around until October...
Marylyn, you're not kidding about the bugs, June and July can be maddening. The islands don't get 'em as bad though, if you can believe that.
A nice thing about those ponds in the winter is they freeze up thick enough to drive on sometimes, and you can take short cuts, or go X country skiing, or ice-fishing, and probably not see anybody all day...

A friend's liscence plate sums it up nicely... oooooo, that reminds me, she gave a bunch of some lemon scented yellow daylilies, I don't know what the heck they are, they look huge

Thumbnail by claypa
Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Great plate, claypa! Someone's creative.

Marylyn, that photo belongs on a postcard. Judging by the well worn earth, this spot must be a favorite! We've only been to Maine in October so that's all we know - and love it. We were mostly outdoors and wore longjohns and several layers of clothes along with hat, gloves,etc. Then started peeling them off by late morning, enjoy a crisp cool day, and light a fire as the temps drop at night.

claypa and Marylyn - these are the things we have done/seen. If we were to return some day, what would you suggest we do that we haven't already? Stayed in Camden both times and took day trips from there. Have seen Monhegan Island, several lighthouses (can't remember names without pulling out our files - one was in a GM ad), Wyeth galleries in Rockland, outlet shopping in Rockport, Arcadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Bath museum, and eating lots of lobster rolls, steamed lobster, lobster paella, and anything else with lobster in it. Yum!

Debra

Some people say Mt. Katahdin is the prettiest mountain on earth, in Baxter state park. It's challenging hiking. It took me 5 hours going up, and three to come down. Have you tried kayaking int the ocean? Canoeing is great,too, especially if you like fishing. I know a guy who caught a 24 pound lake trout, it wasn't even the record.
F.D. Roosevelt's summer home Campobello is a nice day trip, just over into Canada. Fort Knox near Bucksport is fun. The third week of september, there's the Common Ground Fair, sponsored by MOFGA, the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association, the nation's first organic farming organization. Great food and amazing crafts- all kinds of wool and yarn, woodwork, pottery, a great place to do Christmas shopping for people you REALLY like...bring plenty of money. I think it's in Union, Me. They have their own fairgrounds now.
Some of the best skiers in the world train in Maine. Sugarloaf and Sunday River are ski resorts, if you're into that. You can snowmobile from lodge to lodge, if you want, there's hundreds of miles of trails.
I like hiking, fishing, clamming, birdwatching, boating, camping, especially on uninhabited islands. There's more than 1200 islands, some them aren't even named.
U.S. highway 2 is really pretty, and takes you through the White Mountains into New Hampshire. Lots of small towns where you might find a b and b, or a small motel.
One thing I almost forgot, GARDENS. Do NOT miss the garden Beatrix Farrand designed for Abby Aldrich Rockefeller. It is open to the public occasionally, usually some weekends in summer and early fall, sparse parking, but there's nothing like it. When I used to live there, a woman who grew up nearby used to sneak us in, and we had the whole place to ourself.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0723/p14s02-liga.html

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

claypa - Thanks for the links to the gardens. That's a great suggestion. They look beautiful. I really enjoyed the carriage trails in Arcadia Park. The leaves were gorgeous while we were there.

Kayaking in the ocean sounds like fun. We almost tried it in the San Diego Bay once - the sea otters swim right up to the kayaks. I'm not sure I can stay in the position required to kayak very long. Maybe a canoe would work. This sounds pathetic - I'm not even 50 years old yet - but I have a lot of arthritis in my spine and joints with degenerative disc disease. It makes a difference in the activities I choose these days. No long hikes and no carrying heavy gear. Don't you have to fold your body like a pretzel to sit in a kayak? I think it would be great to sit that low in the water and be that close to whatever swims by. This just reminded me of a kayak tour we had planned several years ago in a Florida Keys state park. There was supposed to be lots of birds and key deer. As it turned out, we were there 2 days after a hurricane and the park didn't reopen before we left. We debated whether to cancel, but our hotel was in the mid-keys and still open. We couldn't get into Key West for a day or so, but it was amazing how quickly it was opened up for tourist - even amid massive damage. I had forgotten how many "near kayakying" experiences we've had!

Debra

Southern, ME

Hello from Kennebunk, Maine!! Was taking a little time away from the Daylily Forum and thought I would check the Vacations and Travel Forum when I came across your thread. My plan was to find ideas for a family vacation but it looks like the best place is in our own back yard. We took our teenaged kids to Bar Harbor for an extended weekend this past summer, and had a wonderful time! My husband is a small plane pilot so he and our son flew from Biddeford to Bar Harbor airport where my daughter and I met them with the car. The weather was beautiful, food was awsome. We took a ride around the island and stopped at the Acadia National Forest Information Center. Along the way home my daughter and I took Rt. 1 most of the way back through the little towns, stopped in a few shops along the way. I love living in Maine, haven't really wanted to venture out anywhere else for vacation in quite a while, very content to stay home and enjoy Downeast. Stop in for coffee when you come up. Our state motto is: Maine The Way Life Should Be :)
Marilyn

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Ohhh, that Rt. 1 is dangerous!! A few years ago we drove to Mt. Desert Island from Philadelphia (with a few stops.. my husband had to be in Atlantic City to repair a machine for his job and then we continued on our vacation from there...) and we took Rt. 1 up Maine's coast. There are oodles of shops and we wanted to stop at ALL of them!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.