Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beauty and Fashion Tips: imitation diamond

Communities > Forums > Beauty and Fashion Tips
bookmark
Forum: Beauty and Fashion TipsReplies: 12, Views: 238
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2006
10:41 PM

Post #2713545

a friend was married last week and I saw her ring just the other night and it was huge. Beautiful too. Her mother told me it was not diamond but something that looks like one, even under the glass. It starts with an 'm' I think. anyone know what I am talking about?
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2006
11:45 PM

Post #2713743

was it moissanite?

http://www.schubach.com/cgi-bin/JSJstore.cgi?refer_id=00226
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2006
1:42 AM

Post #2714122

That came to mind, of course, right after I posted. I think it is. thanks.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2006
9:31 PM

Post #2736681

Diamonelle and Cubic Zirconia, can also pass as diamonds to the naked eye.

Don
DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2006
10:34 PM

Post #2736892

I was told, and always believed, that you could tell if it was real or not by the way it is mounted.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 18, 2006
10:49 PM

Post #2736936

Can the layman tell re: mounting of a stone?
DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2006
1:32 AM

Post #2737412

anastatia,

Sure... It's been this way for all the rings that I have seen, had and such... a real diamond will have a hole beneath the setting... or it may be set up high where the diamond doesn't touch the gold, silver or whatever. I don't if that is definately the rule, but it is an indication.

Donna
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2006
11:42 PM

Post #2743627

I have a Cubic Zirconia that I had mounted in a gold setting, and there is a hole under it too...where you can see the bottom peak of the stone. (Had to go and check, 'cause I hadn't noticed before)
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2006
1:38 AM

Post #2857459

and I have a stone that's over a caret that doesn't and I can assure you it's real. Try the line trick if it's still unmounted...take a purple marker with you and draw a line on the paper. the CZ's and fakes you can see the line a diamond you can't...or at least what I've been told.

more info

The only people who can authenticate a real diamond are certified gemologists specializing in jewelry. However, if you are browsing rings at a flea market and want to quickly assess whether a clear stone is probably glass, cubic zirconium, quartz, or leaded crystal, there are a few easy tests you can apply without any special equipment. These tests at least rule out recognizable imposters because they rely on the way a real diamond stone refracts light, conducts heat, and looks up-close.

If the gem in question is loose and unmounted, try placing it over printing. Diamonds refract so much light that they will not work as a magnifying glass and you would see no lines, circles, or letters through them. Other clear stones like glass or crystal will reveal the print clearly. A similar test uses a small light, such as the one that comes with your key ring. If you shine the light through the stone and cannot see it on the other side, but only a bright halo around the rim, it is more likely to be a true diamond.

Diamonds are also very good at conducting heat. Breathe on the surface of the stone and immediately check to see if it has fogged up. Again, quartz, glass, and cubic zirconium will stay hazy for a moment before the condensation dissipates, but you shouldn't be able to see any moisture on a true diamond. However, one rock, called moissanite, will also pass this test, so the best way is to get a complete thermal conductivity evaluation performed by a jeweler.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2006 11:01 AM
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2007
1:14 AM

Post #3193804

This subject fascinates me because in h.s. the girls were always wanting to check your jewelry "to see if it's REAL." It was a real fashion statement. I personally don't care if I have real diamonds or not. I can't tell the difference and it's interesting here you say only a professional can tell. I can't tell you how many girls were happy to point out my jewelry was "not real." It's real enough to me. =)

Now when it comes to metals I prefer real gold to "fake" because my skin gets irritated by the fake stuff now. I don't know why. Did so well for so many years.

Back to the thread topic: I'm glad you introduced me to another material that passes for diamonds. That's pretty neat!
kyjoy
Frankfort, KY

March 19, 2007
12:28 PM

Post #3297900

On my mother's last Christmas she gave me a beautiful ruby and diamond bracelet. I wore it to work one day and one of my co-workers admired it and said, "Your bracelet isI beautiful if its real." I replied, "I don't really know. It never occurred to me to ask." I can assure you my mother always gave "real" jewelry.
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2007
1:29 PM

Post #3298085

People sure can be tacky at times. So did she mean that if it wasn't real diamonds and rubies that it wasn't beautiful anymore? It was none of her business. I liked your answer.
kuntrymama
Lufkin, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #5982231

Diamonique sold on QVC is awesome and you CANNOT tell the difference. I have many pieces of it, and a jeweler even compliminted me on the ring. Great stuff!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beauty and Fashion Tips Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
mascara doghouse 22 Apr 10, 2009 1:15 AM
What base foundation do you use? konkreteblond 38 Jul 11, 2008 5:18 PM
Fine hair, help please! IO1 89 Dec 12, 2010 5:00 AM
Not meant to be ? renwings 34 May 13, 2009 10:08 PM
Anyone have a "sure fire" method of fading Sun Spots? DonM47 28 May 27, 2009 2:12 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America